If you prefer the bottom image to the top one, you are everything wrong with modern fantasy

If you prefer the bottom image to the top one, you are everything wrong with modern fantasy.

Other urls found in this thread:

lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=85900.0
youtu.be/1WE8vG2XJsE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What is the top pic originally from?

>bottom pic is visually distinct and instantly recognizable
>top pic is so generic it can't be easily identified

really gets the noggin joggin

lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=85900.0

Talented guy.

Is this a trick question or something?
Both are fucking ugly as shit and a stylistic mess in general, and you should be ashamed for preferring one over the other.

If you want an example of good fantasy aesthetics, picrelated is a good start.

You made this thread a year ago with the exact same text.
Why are you like this?

>That Ogre Figure.

Can anyone source me the name or wherever of that Ogre miniature?

Elephant-Seal Ogres may very well be the best fucking thing I've ever seen and I'd like to study the miniature or more like it more closely for design/drawing reference.

Oh is it time for this thread again

>Implying being 'distinctive' is a virtue in of itself.

I could mould my own shits to use as tabletop minis, and it'd certainly be distinctive.

I think OP's point is that overdesigning makes characters, environments et cetera look ugly, childish and stupid. "Less is more" is very much a thing in character/monster/environment design. While you may be right, conservative design does not exclude giving something a unique look.

OP would probably do better to post the LOTR tabletop game. The LotR movies have pretty noice character designs, and Gondor's soldiers look pretty damned unique despite not looking like retards.

It's a Troll from a boardgame called Blood Rage.

They made a Mystic Troll too, Kickstarter exclusive.

Both look amazing.

probably a different guy considering the file name is different.

>It's a Troll from a boardgame called Blood Rage.

Thanks so much, user.

This Troll figure look absolutely fantastic!

Then you're a retard because the top image depicts a monster with an oversizex unrealistic hammer that woud break from it's own weight and that doesnt beling to a low fantasy setting

It looks like shit, you're fooling no one

Post some good trolls then, bright spark.

>visually distinct and instantly recognizable
Fantasy had all that well still looking good.

God, I know AoS has been raked over the coals, but look at those goddamn demigryphs look so fucking stupid.
They look like something out of a goddamn 90s saturday morning cartoon, collect 'em all! Fucking primary colour goddamn wonder birds.

Now look at this demigryph. It looks like a goddamn animal, it's eating someone for god's sake. The Bird of Paradise look like they eat nothing but marshmallows and drink nothing but wishes. Can you imagine one of those care-bear looking motherfuckers chewing through some son of a bitch's torso? They're so goddamn clean they look like they just came out of the wash.

Fuck 'em.

>this Storm of Chaos picture
oh the nostalgia

The ones Stormcasts have look so much better. They nailed the predatory look

Can I like both?

>My subjective opions are objectivly right
hue hue hue what an autist, cant deal with other peoples likes

;-;

I like them both

Shilling for Blood Rage much while shitting on AoS? Is this some sort of bizarre viral marketing? I haven't bought a single AoS product, but that doesn't mean I think it's terrible. GW is terrible.

And what if I like the bottom one?
>inb4 my shit taste is better than your shit taste
Nice fucking thread, my dude.

And how exactly is generic bad?

I like the bottom one. I can literally walk into any GW store with an army an resonably expect to have a game then and there. There is even two non-GW hobby stores within an hours drive of me that hold regular AoS events.
Only one store holds any other fantasy game events with any regularity and it's literally once a month.

Yes it was sad when Warhamms Fanta went but I will take the ability to continue my hobby playing AoS with a large and avaliable playerbase over once a month outings with the same ten-odd guys.
And I go to these monthly events anyway. While still playing AoS.

oh cool, some new melee Space Marines.

Top one is so generic it hurts. I'll take sigmarines over dark ages britons and a random monster thrown in to make it "fantasy".

Behold! A Man with no taste!

God I fucking hate Sigmarines. It could not get any more transparent that GW tried to clone their golden-egg hen in Marines and port them to Fantasy, even if it took a squatting. They look like trash.

>dat rightmost stormcast

Why can't I like both?

>prefer

How are the Bloodrage miniatures in practice? I have some very bad experiences with boardgame miniatures and Bloodrage is ridiculously expensive to the point where some straight up wargaming choices are cheaper, so I'm hesitant to buy anything.

The miniatures are beautiful though.

Stop liking what I don't like.jpg
But again, that is the premise of the thread itself.

I'm partial to old-school fantasy instead of High Fantasy settings with litteral gods and demi gods walking on the streets. So yeah, I prefer the first picture (And I like that troll, he's cool)

top looks so damn comfy

They're both pretty ugly to be honest, but yeah, the lower image is the more retarded by far.

Hopefully when CB finally make that fantasy skirmish game they've been teasing fantasy wargames will be saved.

Man that actually does look really good.

Model density, scenery, lighting and color palette are the main differences here.

With no context, we're left to assume that the games are based on different scales of combat, and any preference for one over the other would stem from that alone.

what if i like both?

I love how the top image has a better sense of place than the bottom, despite the bottom having far more detailed setting-specific terrain.

The top battle is going in in some kind of grassy highland region, possibly unexplored for some time as suggested by the ruins, with a vaguely druidic feel to the whole thing.

The bottom image is... where exactly are these Sigmarines and Khornemarines fighting each other? There's Chaos architecture right next to comparatively normal architecture (which I'm assuming is Sigmarines architecture, considering the dragon motifs and comet-trails), so, fuck, what kind of place is this? The ground is this weird ambiguous mist that leaves you guessing as to what kind of terrain they're on, so you have no idea if they're in a city, or grasslands, or hills, or wasteland, or anything. There's no sense of elevation or landscape, just mist and two sets of buildings that have no business being within several meters of one another.

Fucking poor show GW. You used to make amazing scenic images, now this is the best you can do? 0/10, would not get invested in this world.

Okay so top is a troll with a antisemitic nose
The round shields but helmet style sans nasal guard makes me think of late Anglo Saxon soldiers
Archers have helmets but cloth armour which makes little sense nor do they have bow strings showing lack of care
There's also a hornblower even though they should have called for reinforcements before they fought the troll as they'll obviously die to it
The statue in the back reminds me of middle earth GW kits so probably set in middle earth but could be other low fantasy setting

Now the bottom
First thing I see is the daemon and he looks angry, he's dominant in this situation not passive, he'll certainly kill half the army
Then I see the angels, clearly God has joined us to save us from these daemons, but where are the menfolk they are protecting
Ah they're protecting those saints bones held in that banner, clearly the menfolk have already perished and God has sent these angels to save the saints bones having already saved his soul
One of these angels leads the charge against those beasts who are so forsaken they do not even wear armour wishing for a quick death
Then I see the man mounted on a drake he has been gifted to help slay these foul beasts
An enemy soldier also orders his side to charge THE BATTLE IS MET

Sorry user what's wrong here

Top is clearly man is not wanted in this world whilst bottom is man has usurped the power of this world

1/10 made me reply

Ugly ass stormcasts will be ugly ass stormcasts and there isn't much you can do to diminish that fact but the mounts are much better looking than the retarded dragon mounts of not too long ago.

It boggles my mind thinking about early AOS and how wrong GW did everything. I don't want to attribute it to malice or laziness but it's like they did as little as they could in terms of lore and fluff and thought, "yeah, they're gonna love this". Some of the later puff pieces about releases was embarrassing. "Look we're adding cities and people to fight over! Honest we're doing something with this! Ahhhhhhh"

nice chocobos

Reminder that GWs Rob Symes was on Warhammer weekly and said "The background of AoS was a mistake" and "stormcast and space marines are identical"

Source: youtu.be/1WE8vG2XJsE
Skip to 1h:22m

I loved the models in that game, I almost want to buy it just to add the models to my DnD collection.

Pffff what a fucking poor bait, what kind of retard would... 50 answers. Neckbeards are especially autistic tonight

>hammer so heavy he couldn't even lift it

Wow, that's actually pretty embarrassing.

I think the most damning thing about Stormcast is that, unlike Marines, there's no interesting twist to them. They are essentially what Space Marines are pretending to be - the righteous angels of their god-emperor.

Space Marines are interesting because they're not really righteous and their emperor isn't really a god. They're basically brainwashed child soldiers playing at being knights - the fact that they're mankind's best defense is a horrifying prospect.

Stormcast have none of this. They're Space Marines with none of the, for lack of a better term, edge that makes Space Marines a more complex concept.

This Rob fellow doesn't work for GW anymore does he? I recall some mess he kicked up about being censored on twitter or something?

Nope, he left a few months ago.

I hope this is interview is seen by GW (which it will) and gets them to get their ass in gear.

Space marines have also fallen to chaos or suffered mutations etc.

Yes he no longer works for them, which is why he can tell the truth and speak his mind

oddly the stormcast are at their best when at their most human
for example in this pic, I despise the top fig because it looks like some overdesigned golem pretending to be human, wheras I like the bottom ones since they ARE human, even the tiny addition of a face makes me give more of a shit about them

>gets them to get their ass in gear
GW is working on the lore, u can take a look at Hammerhal, nice background and fluff. If u cant wait? Yes, AoS lore is suck at this moment.

>I hope this is interview is seen by GW (which it will) and gets them to get their ass in gear.
What do you mean?
They made the stormcast knowing that's what sells and what they wanted. They are space marines on purpose. How will them seeing this change anything?

It's also a really good board game, if you have any interest. The viking minis that come with it aren't half bad either, and the other monsters are really over the top. I think they're cool

Kek

I did exactly that thing and I don't regret it

>implying people would make b8 this long
It's just what I picked up from my GCSE art A-level art and years of being a NERD

I like both.

I play song of blades and heroes for the top one.
I play AoS for the bottom one.

Yeah I saw that. I disagree with him, though. I'm not seeing anything damning about this. Just an ex employee giving his opinions.

>The miniatures are beautiful though.
Those look pretty terrible.
Like someone crossbred a mylittlepony with a skeksis.

If you think either of those images somehow invalidates the other, regardless of your preference, you are everything that's wrong with smelly neckbeards in general.

>I wish I could play an RPG with a feel of the top image.

Didn't that Josh guy say something about their differences?

ha you posted it again

thats so great

thanks for posting this again

wonderful

i love it

post it again soon please

dont forget to keep posting that very same thing

There is room for both of these things, I think. Some will gravitate towards the more fanciful, exaggerated fantasy. Others will gravitate towards the more grounded fantasy. Neither of these things are wrong, just different.

Yeah they then proceeded to talk about the differences between the 2, and how SCE are actually pretty cool. But we ignore that. It's more damning to take quotes out of context, which is why we do it.

I'm sorry(actually not really) but of all the dumb stuff I heard from AoS fans, this is the dumbest

>>The ones Stormcasts have look so much better. They nailed the predatory look
>Serrated beaks that can't close

>Long exposed necks on horse like bodies instead of the thick muscled lion bodies

>Fluffy chicken feather down covering their front

>Curvy pointless horns that serve no purpose aside from being a hazard to the rider

Yeah I can see how they look more predatory if you don't think about it...ever. Frankly I can only see two ways you can see it that way:

>1)You are young, immature, and associate big epic stuff with cool, not matter how dumb it looks

>2)You have attatched yourself so much to it that any attack on it you percieve as an attack on you, and your brusied ego will rush to defend it before retreating into your mind where you warp your perception of reality to such a mind bending degree you start to see the flaws as upgrades to better help validate your investment

Then you're a retard. That simple. OP is a retard as well for starting this thread, but you're double retarded.

I enjoy your dedication.

My reasonable well mannered niggers.

Especially you.

>>inb4 my shit taste is better than your shit taste
>Moba-fan talking about shit taste

Ah yes thanks for reminding me
>3) You shove your head up your ass, close your eyes, and sing 'la la la' until any opnion that shatters your frail reality goes away

>reddit spacing

I'm not even the guy you were talking to, imbecile. Even though that I hate AOS with passion. I must also admit that you are reacting like a fucking autistic child.
Let boys enjoy shit if they don't have taste, it won't ruin your life.

>you are reacting like a fucking autistic child.
Because he brought some arguments?

I completely disagree. I get that space marines are heroes in their own right facing the horrors of the galaxy. But they were engineered and trained to be those heroes before they became heroes. It sort of invalidates their heroism a little because it was given to them. And yet they still fall to chaos.

Stormcast eternals were heroes before they became god-warriors. Before they were taken up to be reforged, they were great warriors who heroically stood against insurmountable odds and faced their own deaths as mortal men who came into their qualities on their own. Sigmar just gave them another chance and means to fight against chaos once again. The whole magic aspect gives them a purifying aura of incorruptibility. Sure they can come back again after dying, but it doesn't come without a cost, that even the stormcast eternals do fear death, but know it is a part of their role. Their deaths are necessary sometimes for the greater good, even knowing its cost in the end.

I just find them more interesting than space marines. I got into tabletop wargaming with 40k and space marines, but I just don't find them as interesting anymore.

I will agree though that GW is pushing stormcast eternals way too much lately. I would like them to dial that back some.

Not him, but if you find some shoveling shit into their mouth, don't you have an obligation to try and stop/help them?

>he
No, because you are acting like an autistic child who's throwing a temper tantrum.
Here's your (You), spend it wisely.

>Another anti-semetic nose on the monster
I thought GW was better than this.

>No, because you are acting like an autistic child who's throwing a temper tantrum.
Except I am different user

>I just find them more interesting than space marines.
>generic paladins marry sues
>more interesting
And this how you can spot a shill

>In this "thread"

>I get that space marines are heroes in their own right facing the horrors of the galaxy. But they were engineered and trained to be those heroes before they became heroes. It sort of invalidates their heroism a little because it was given to them. And yet they still fall to chaos.

None of this invalidates what that other user was saying. In fact, this is why Space Marines are superior to Sigmarines. Space Marines are a strong concept because they are NOT heroes. They wear the regalia and go through the motions, but ultimately they're manufactured monsters full of rage and hate, and them being mankind's best hope against the dark is terrifying. That duality, that inversion, is what 40K is about - it's what makes it stand apart.

Stormcast are Marines with none of the complexity. They're just big armoured good guys with no faces and no discernible personalities for the most part. They don't even have an universal traits like zeal or hate to characterize them; they're big and armoured and the ultimate unkillable good guys, and that's it.

I don't think that landmarine can see that minotaur for his pauldron.

I get called that despite it not being true. I guess what constitutes being a GW shill is not having a hate-boner for the company.

>None of this invalidates what that other user was saying. In fact, this is why Space Marines are superior to Sigmarines. Space Marines are a strong concept because they are NOT heroes. They wear the regalia and go through the motions, but ultimately they're manufactured monsters full of rage and hate, and them being mankind's best hope against the dark is terrifying. That duality, that inversion, is what 40K is about - it's what makes it stand apart.
Fair enough. I can see that. In that case, then the differences between space marines and stormcast eternals become more and more apparent. Space marines are the ultimate weapon of humanity in dealing with a galactic threat. Stormcast eternals are an army of god-blessed paladins who choose to become what they are.

>Stormcast are Marines with none of the complexity. They're just big armoured good guys with no faces and no discernible personalities for the most part. They don't even have an universal traits like zeal or hate to characterize them; they're big and armoured and the ultimate unkillable good guys, and that's it.
This is where I disagree. I have been reading the books and fluff. They definitely have discernible personalities. Each stormcast eternal has memories of their past and their own motivations for fighting. And their universal trait is definitely vengeance. The age of chaos was hell. It destroyed so many mortal civilizations and pretty much ruined everything. When the the stormcasts hit, each and every warrior is fighting with the goal to reverse all that, with vengeance and zeal and hate against chaos. They are also working as a police force in the new human cities to try rooting out any chaos.

cont.

Could this all be better portrayed or communicated? Definitely. GW has sort of done a poor job with their portrayal I believe, and it's understandable at first glance they appear to be nothing more than an army of soulless fighting golems. But that is not the way at all.

I am not saying everyone needs to become a fan of them. I get the aesthetic and differences from space marines just doesnt appeal to some, but I am only pointing out where there is substance when claims are otherwise.

Anyone else think Stormcast are fine but a bit boring?

Not a great thing to make such a big part of the setting but eh.

They are shit. AOS's "lore" is shit as well.
But some models are fine, and the Stormcasts can be used by some to do more stylized Space Marines, or even other sorts of stuff, I guess.

As a dorf lover, I like their sky-pirate ones. But what they've done to dwarf slayers... uh sorry, "FYRESLAYERS", is awful.

>This is where I disagree. I have been reading the books and fluff. They definitely have discernible personalities. Each stormcast eternal has memories of their past and their own motivations for fighting. And their universal trait is definitely vengeance. The age of chaos was hell. It destroyed so many mortal civilizations and pretty much ruined everything. When the the stormcasts hit, each and every warrior is fighting with the goal to reverse all that, with vengeance and zeal and hate against chaos. They are also working as a police force in the new human cities to try rooting out any chaos.

My problem with all of this is that as a faction they just seem like they have no character or defining traits - a fact not helped by naming schemes like 'Imperius' (I mean, fucking really GW?). I'm sure you can have varying personalities among individual Stormcast, but there is nothing - absolutely nothing - to differentiate them from any other army of big armoured good guys. They're an army of for the most part perfect paladins in the most boring, flavourless fantasy armour imaginable, all with the same goddamn weapons and paraphernalia.

Every element of their backstory is just Marines with the complexity removed. Marines are great fighters from primitive societies taken by what they believe to be the gods, but actually by a disgusting order of hateful brainwashed supersoldiers. Stormcast are great fighters that really are just taken by god. Marines are told they're being reforged into perfect avenging angels, when in reality they're being mutilated and reprogrammed into genetic abominations. Stormcast are told they're being reforged into perfect avenging angels, and... are reforged into perfect avenging angels. Marines believe they're fighting for the ultimate good against myriad irredeemably evil foes, when in reality they're fighting for the most barbaric and cruel regime imaginable and more often than not are just wiping out random aliens for no reason.

>criticizing GW or Stormcasts or AoS is "bait"

Here's another way to spot a shill

>cont
Stormcast believe they're fighting for the ultimate good against myriad irredeemably evil foes, and that's exactly what's happening. Space Marines are organized into Chapters due to the knightly feel this generates and mostly because of the flaws in their very nature that make having too many of them in one place dangerous, and these Chapters are often highly distinct. Stormcast are organized into not!Chapters because... because they have to be Ground Marines, I guess, and so far the only real differences between them are the colour of their armour.

They are literally Marines without any of the forethought, internal logic, complexity, or duality. I cannot see this concept as anything but purest, lowest common denominator trash.