Players asking for it stories

Stories where your players practically invited death.

>players challenge an NPC to russian roulette
>NPC is supposed to be more than a bit insane with a god complex, and a gambling addict, the players don't know that
>the players try and rile him up
>he shouts at the players "You call me a coward and yet stand there as the fearful. I am no coward. Luck is always on my side for I am the chosen of fate."
>picks up the gun and holds it to his temple.
>say he pulls the trigger three times
>I secretly roll what chamber the bullet is in (it was the 5th)
>players call bullshit and get pissed when he doesn't get shot in the head
>tell him it was literally a coin flip chance
>NPC puts down the gun "Are you as favored as I?"
>players want to wave their big dicks around, one of the PCs grabs the gun
>I roll secretly what chamber the bullet is in (roll a 1)
>player pulls the trigger and shoots himself in the head, falls over dead
>NPC just starts to laugh because to him this is just confirmation of what he's been saying.
>players get royally pissed

They're the ones who challenged him to russian roulette. I don't even feel bad.

> how Russian roulette works
> this
Pick one

Did the player spin the chamber after grabbing it? If not, the bullet should still be in the 5th chamber (so second trigger pull by the time the PC has it).

They spun the chamber again so I rerolled.

I was gonna ask this. Seriously, if you're going to do Russian roulette, have everyone state in which order they're gonna hand the gun around, how many times everyone's gonna pull the trigger, if the person will spin the chamber, and then roll for each spin so nobody bitches out. If anyone blows their brains out you can stop and make adjustments from there.

you cant roll secretly on these case. make him pick a number and if he rolls it he is dead. roll in the open.

Also, roll in the open, fuckface. If someone gets shot, you'll know.

Why would he not spin the chamber?

You are all retarded. If you don't want to die from bullet to the head, don't play a fucking Russian roulette.

It should be secret, no fucking rolling in the open. If, for instance, he told the number that player needs to roll to shoot himself, it would mean that his character was forced into spinning the chamber every time he wants to shoot. That's disgustingly stupid.

Trust your fucking GM or don't play with him.

A character died last session because he went behind enemy lines and didn't retreat when he should have.

>Rolling an instant death die in secret

Are you retarded?

>New guy has his 3rd session
>He has his first battle with us and felt like he was capable of wandering around alone
> "Kek, no user, don't do it"
>Gets mad and does it anyway
>lvl 7 ranger wandering around in a game he has almost no experience
>ambushed by hunters in a forest we told him was dangerous because BBEG troops were in that zone
>almost dead, makes a soul contract with the leader of the hunters to be able to survive the encounter, forcing him to cooperate with the BBEG
>In the previous session, he also made a soul contract with a dragon king, which was also the king of my PC
>that escalated quickly
>my PC ended up killing him because said dragon king was pissed off and my head was going to be chopped out if I didn't killed him

Only War? What kind of regiment?

From the perspective of the players:
>I challenge him to russian roulette, calling him a chicken if he doesn't
>"the man laughs and picks up a gun from the counter, pulling the trigger three times at his head with a confident grin. It doesn't go off"
>bullshit, roll that
>"I did in secret, it was in the fifth chamber"
>whatever man, you could have made that up but fine
>I spin the chamber and put it to my head too, pulling the trigger once
>"the gun goes off, you die. The man laughs at your attempt as you fall to the ground"
>you didn't even roll for it
>"I did in secret, it was in the first chamber this time"
>bullshit you just made that up
>"no I didn't I rolled it in secret, it was fair"
>fuck you

How would you not know someone is rolling die, unless you're fucking deaf?

If you don't trust your GM to roll dice in secret without purposefully trying to kill you, WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU WILLINGLY START A GAME OF RUSSIAN ROULETTE

How many chambers did the gun have? Was it a 5 chamber or 6 chamber revolver? Like if it's a 5 chamber revolver then that's like a 20% chance of death, pretty high odds for PERMANENT DEATH. Like what, 16% for a 6 chambered revolver?

>This specific monster is 40ft tall, violent, eats people among other things, has fast ranged attacks, and is generally difficult to escape from. The players know this.

>As you enter the large clearing, on the other side in the distance you recognize the monster, hunched over, apparently eating. It is not directly facing you. What do you do?
>"We stop moving and wait."
>What?
>"We're going to wait and see."
>Are you sure?
>"Yes"
>Okay. The monster finishes eating about a minute later, stands up to full hieght, and as it looks around you feel it's gaze fall to you. Roll initiative.
>"FUCK"

>Not trusting your GM
You're either in a shit group or a shit person. Either way you shouldn't continue to play.

>In Russian Roulette

The point is that, from the player's perspective, the GM could have just arbitrarily decided when the gun went off and when it didn't, and only rolled the die behind his screen as a formality. It doesn't matter whether the GM was actually being fair with it or not, but bad dice rolls resulted in group drama solely because the dice were hidden.

Avoid group drama. Roll your dice in public unless it's actually a roll they shouldn't see.

This came up in my game. How i did it:

>roll d6 secretly to determine the chamber
>write it down on piece of paper, folded and put in middle of table under the book
>gun gets passed around clockwise
>eventually reach the PC
>he is number 4
>BANG
>player gets pissed
>unfold paper
>paper says 4

And thats how the arguement went.

Clearly he re-spun.

Because that's not how you play Russian roulette.

For the record, i told them it was a dumb idea, and that it was 2 npcs vs 4 PCs, and i even let them make an initial check to try to get a hint to the chamber.

>The group closet psychopath impulsively attempts murder on a jerk merchant
>Paladin hears the ruckus, and enters the shop
>Blocks his killing blow
>Merchant escapes, calls guards
>Party steps aside and let's the guards attempt arrest
>"I resist arrest"
>Ohboy.jpg

Basically the guards murderraped this guy and he got pissed nobody helped him.

What makes it worse is he kept saying his alignment was Chaotic Neutral as if that excuses attempted murder over a mild snarky insult.

ITT: bad GM backpedals after the thread calls him out

A year ago or so:

>Enemy summons crystal spider which draws explosive runes, maximum of 3
>Said enemy remains hidden following the PCs from a distance while the spider is meant to blow them
>PCs start noticing things being desintegrated and at one moment the pants of one of them explode wounded him severely
>PCs retreat to a nearby town to heal the wounded and try to spot the threat
>Notice the runes and discover their effect with a roll
>run.jpg
>During the run one of them sees that he has a rune on his body
>OK I use my ki power to hit myself with a lightning
>you mean the rune?
>No
>Death assured

Oh man I have a friend like this.

Low magic 3.5 - Despite this, one member of our party has acquired a level in cleric causing him to be Ranger 4 / Cleric 1 (with a BAB of +4, the Combat Expertise Feat and the Improved Unarmed Strike Feat - these become important later). Other characters were unaware of his ability to cast spells. The player of this guy is known for "rollplaying" as opposed to "roleplaying" and sometimes making awful decisions through a twisted logic that none of us have followed.

We're outside of a large tree house protected by a Dire Bear. It's not charging us but it is approaching and appears to be protecting the tree house. We back away slowly. Eventually it's in melee with said Ranger/Cleric and myself (a fighter). It doesn't attack but stands on its hind legs and roars.

I take this as a sign it just wants us gone so I oblige. Total Defense (+4 Dodge bonus to AC) and move back 30 feet. This would provoke an attack of opportunity from the Dire Bear but it chooses not to take it, solidifying my assumption.

The Ranger/Cleric goes next.
Turn 1
DM: What do you do?
Player: I use my animal domain power to Speak with animals. "What do you want, bear?"
DM:: The bear lets out another fierce roar yelling "LEAVE"! No other players can understand it. In fact, to all of you it appears that he is simply speaking nonsense to a roaring bear.
Turn 2
Player: Um...I punch the bear. I use combat expertise to dump my max BAB (4) to AC (+4). (Some math happens. Player hit, did a paltry amount of damge (4, maybe?)). Okay, now with my higher AC I move away 30 feet!

At this point everyone is staring at him open-jawed. The DM then describes the bear taking the provoked attack of opportunity, easily hitting because it's a dire bear and initiating a grapple it could not lose with improved grab.

From our characters' perspective while we made a break for it, he babbled some nonsense, tried to speak to a bear, was roared at, and finally punched the bear before being taken to pieces.

>gets told to leave
>already saw someone leave without being attacked
>decides to punch the Dire Bear anyway
What.

Yup.

In the future, for instant death rolls, he just needs to roll in the open instead of secretly.

Lesson learned. Forgive and forget. Not a big deal

If you and me played Russian Roulette for real, are you going to know which chbe the bullet is in? No. Why should the players then? All I'm seeing is an excuse to metagame

>Roll your dice in public unless it's actually a roll they shouldn't see.
Like a roll to determine which chamber the bullet is in when they're playing Russian roulette? Seems to me they shouldn't see that one, especially if it gets rolled before the player takes his action as the OP seems to imply. If the die was cast AFTER the player said "I pull the trigger", then yeah, I see no problem with rolling in the open.

Not in the case of Russian-Fucking-Roulette where you don't know where the bullet even is. That's the point

What did we do to anger you so badly that you would inflict this picture on us user? Why do you hate us so?

>we
>us
Take you collectivist bullmess somewheres else. I'd yank that Nubian goddess's nappy-ass head around and use it as a handle.

Had a team of players that infiltrated an enemy Super Dreadnought. We're talking a starship the size of Rhode Island, man, like you need cars and shit to get around. So my players jack a few of the response strike team's vehicles to cruise around in and head for the nearest drive core. They meet some resistance along the way but their combat cars are tough and armed, so it's not really that bad for them.

Cut to them at the drive core. They rig it to explode, dead man's switch. Begin negotiations with the captain over vidcoms. Threaten to blow the ship if the captain doesn't give them a ship and safe passage. Captain laughs, makes a crack about not negotiating with terrorists and jettisons the core.

Did they know that a core can be jettisoned?

I have no idea what setting you're talking about, but wouldn't jettisoning something called a "Drive core" result in pretty fucking bad consequences to the ship in question? Like a car jettisoning its engine.

Yeah. Their first ship had suffered critical damage to the core during a battle and they'd been forced to drop it (in the face of their enemy).

Setting is a homebrew running in the Stars Without Number system with a few tweaks. Dropping a core is a big deal, but ships have spares and will only be on emergency backup power for a turn or two (5 to 10 minutes). Military ships usually have multiple drive cores for redundancy and additional power requirements.

They knew all of this, but figured they could intimidate the captain into giving in to their demands before a system specifically designed to get a supercritical exotic matter bomb out of the ship could do its job.

And all the players see is an excuse for the DM to arbitrarily decide who to die.

If you think the DM will just randomly kill you, you're either being an asshole or the DM is. Stop playing with them.

So he didn't follow your script and you killed him bravo truly an amazing simulation I'm sure

Whenever a GM boasts about fucking over a player for not obeying his gay script it makes me cringe. Just make it so he wanders into something mildly interesting and has to make a roll or two, then he'll go back to the group happy.

>All of two people "call him out on it"
>Most of the thread argues against people saying he should roll in the open
>For Russian fucking roulette
I think the OP said it best: If you don't want to get shot, don't play Russian Roulette, you retard.

I don't see anything about the GM backpedaling, only idiots bitching because he rolled in secret.

What system?

No, the image was just because. It was in Legend of the 5 Rings

>a small village near a forest is infested by forest bandits
>group of 4 ronins find out about the bandits
>making plans on how to most effectively murderhobo
>eventually, talks of scouting out the village begin
>ronin shugenja volunteers to go
>rest of the ronin wait at the edge of the forest to keep an escape route ready for him with bows
>ronin shugenja gets into the village unnoticed
>after a while of observing, a few bandits leave a house
>bandit leader, who was with them, rolls well and notices shugenja who rolled poorly
>initiative is rolled
>shugenja lights himself on fire with magic (doesn't damage him, only damages enemies)
>the enemies get in melee range
>he attacks them with dragon breath, nails all of them
>doesn't do a lot of damage
>bandits hack at him
>does more damage to him
>but eventually dies

That's my most recent memory of someone who had a deathwish

Yeah the DM should've just run a separate solo campaign for the guy who decided to go off on his own while the other players just watched.

To contain the Thrill of the Player, the roll should be hidden but he can choose a fellow pc he trusts to overwatch the dm. No bullshitting and thrill

>muh script

If it wasn't shit the player wouldn't try escaping it to begin with. Either way it's your fault.

If you actually played any RPGs you'd know that the first rule is never split the party.

>a trope for lazy GMs exists
>I better choose the shittiest way to punish players for trying to have a moment of fun

Or you could gently guide him back to the group and continue. But nah, your story is so cool I'm impressed that you punished that player can I come play at your game please?

What is your pic from

>a player is acting like an idiot, therefore the GM must be railroading
The GM may or may not have been doing something wrong, but you're still retarded.

Mount and Blade.

It's only "acting like an idiot" if your feeble brain is incapable of thinking of something interesting to happen so you just kill the character instead

Stop pretending that your gay autistic script has any validity, it's obvious that you just punish things you dislike

That's stupid, if he retreats he goes deeper into enemy lines

Thing is, the party way unseen in front of the enemy lines and would have killed key people in the defenses so he would have been able to escape.

>everyone who disagrees with me is the same person
How does it feel to know that you're both retarded AND delusional? Going to a dangerous place alone and with no support is, in fact, acting like an idiot. You can argue about whether he should've gotten killed or not, but he was still acting like an idiot.

>PC doesn't retire to be a farmer

Sure. While I'm at it, why don't I gently reach down between his legs and stroke his scrotum while telling him what a special boy he is?

...Again it's only "dangerous" because your lazy and arbitrary script declares it so. It could just as easily be a strange, challenging, but manageable location where some small accomplishment could be had.

... If you weren't lazily punishing players that is.

>shitty, entitled player who thinks the GM is his slave
No one wants you in his game.

>player pisses off royally a master jewelcrafter that he needs to deal with because he has the skills to work on a giant rough gemstone he found
>players find out he has a son that turned to crime, start looking for him hoping to redeem him and gain the merchant's favors
>while traveling on a road where many bandit attacks have been reported (including sightings of the merchant's son in this band of bandits), yo and behold the merchant's son running on the road scared shitless with clothes ripped and claw and bite marks on his body, screaming about monsters
>they try to calm him, and after a good intimidation he stops screaming and flailing
>not long after a band of 4 goblins come down the road and meet the party, see the merchant's son (who is now screaming and trying to run away) and demand they give them to him because they have unfinished business as the guy tried to assault and rob the goblin party along with his ruffian gang
>players say no, because the right way to handle this situation is to bring the boy to justice and other righteous bullshit
>one of them starts boasting about goblins being little shits and that the party pretty much massacred a goblin village in the mountains (the goblins are actually coming from the village, since they wanted to massacre that goblin village first, you'll understand why)
>culminates with the goblins giving them a last chance to hand over the boy, they refuse (in addition the wizard felt magic emanating from the goblins) and attack
>the goblins transform into barghests and the PCs realize their grave mistake, the barghests give them 2 more chances to cease this fight in exchange for the boy and one of their souls
>they of course refuse, and it ends up with a last stand between the cleric and one barghest, the cleric is on death's door and strikes a desperate deal with the barghest, giving away the souls of his incapacitated party members (Lawful Good Life Cleric by the way), and an additional soul in 7 days

>never split the party
I hate this shit, I can understand it from a gaming point of view, but from a narrative point is stupid, sometimes you need to have someone be the bait, or have someone stall the enemies while the rest saves the innocents, eacape, whatever. I hate the "players go together in a 2x2 squares formation and gangbang every enemy ever"

>the GM should rewrite large parts of the setting because a player happens to be an idiot
You're just an entitled piece of shit.

Opinion... disregarded.........

Oh trust me, I wouldn't go near autistic GM like yourself, and if I do I'm perfectly behaved and willing to go along with their boring fucking scripted railroad stolen from Berserk. But I mostly GM myself because I'm so tired of uncreative faggots like yourself ruining RPGs.

Could the party have run away?

From Barghests? Not a chance, they can even cast dimension door.

>be scout
>have huge bonuses to stealth, perception and ways of teleporting back to safety instantly
>GM rocks fall me because I decide to explore the front for my team
Why have scout roles/archetypes then?
Why have teleport back to safety powers?

>entitled
Ah yes, the last defense of a boring railroader

I think you got the wrong thread, homeboy.

Reminds me of the GM who threw at us a balor when we were 5th level chars and after being TPKd he complained about us not fleeing completely forgetting that's what we tried to do but were unable bevause the fucker moves waaaaay faster, flies and teleport at will

Could they have asked the Barghest to do something else for them, an attempt at diplomacy and making a deal to save the boy's life?

Then you have shitty players, or you have a shitty DM that the players believe have reason to arbitrarily kill them.

I would have absolutely no issue with my DM doing the potential death roll in secret, if I WILLINGLY ENGAGED A GAME OF RUSSIAN ROULETTE.

if you can't trust the people you're participating in a fucking hobby with, I can't imagine what a paranoid sack of pathetic human trash you are, or how fucking terrible the people you choose to associate with are.

Diplomacy takes a minute or else you have a - 20. Abd if you die two a couple of barghes chances are your level is so low you can't diplomacy against hostile monsters

The Barghest were talking and demanding the boy to be forked over, no?

If the Barghest were hostile, they would have attacked immediately, by the way. They were aggressive, not hostile, meaning sure, the attempt at diplomacy would have been hard. But not impossible.

Now please don't speak for the GM, unless you are the one who posted Because accepting a mission even from a group of bad shits is a pretty common plot hook.

They had the choice of not talking to the goblins or engaging them in any way and just let them pass, which the merchant's son told them they were vicious monsters, the choice of not starting combat, 2 chances to stop the combat and they didn't do any of these. So fuck off.

This wasn't about the "enemy". Also only one player (The Cleric) was adamant to enter the jewelcrafter's graces because it was him who ticked him off. And he was also the one who wanted incessantly to fight the enemy at all costs, the last one standing, and had really bad luck with the dice.

The problem with the boy is they wanted to off him without causing a fuss because he knew what they are, they wouldn't have let him go.

They weren't hostile initially. But their attitude changed after they found out the group was responsible for destroying the goblin village they wanted to massacre (Barghests need to eat goblin souls to enter Gehenna, basically their version of heaven) and especially after the group initiated combat.

Okay, so the group had the chance to just take the boy over their shoulder and ignore the barghests and walk back to the merchant, is that it?

Because from the way you wrote >not long after a band of 4 goblins come down the road and meet the party, see the merchant's son (who is now screaming and trying to run away) and demand they give them to him because they have unfinished business as the guy tried to assault and rob the goblin party along with his ruffian gang
The barghests didn't seem inclined to just let the party ignore them and let them go back to the city.

They decided to engage the goblins on the road, they were somewhere where the goblins couldn't see them but they could see the goblins initially (the road was littered with giant rocks thrown on the field by giants long ago).

Were there signs that the goblins where more than they appeared? I would imagine a small group of goblins all alone in a forest would be very skittish and constantly looking out for danger, whereas goblins who are in a much higher number are less shaky and more focused on preparing more arrows and weapons for the rest of the raiding band to use and stuff.

Point is: did they have a chance to know that they were going to pick a fight with enemies that are much stronger than themselves?

>Ever trusting the GM

What in the actual fuck.

If you don't trust your GM, you shouldn't even be playing.

Learn how to read. It becomes abundantly clear from "I roll secretly what chamber the bullet is in (roll a 1)" that he respun.

I think this is one of the best 'the player was asking for it' situations I've witnessed. Very amusing. Thank you for sharing.

>Point is: did they have a chance to know that they were going to pick a fight with enemies that are much stronger than themselves?
Am I supposed to give them creature statistics? Say the gods whispered in their ears "Nah brah don't mess with those weed gnomes they bad stuff"? They knew from the bandit those monsters are supernatural, can teleport, are really vicious and mowed down his buddies in seconds.

>this is what GMs actually believe
You're just a faggot like anyone else. Gary Gygax days are long over

>what is reading comprehension

No, if they have a ranger or someone who knows behavior pattern of usual goblins should be able to tell if a goblin is behaving in a certain way.

If someone rolled well in an assessment roll (wisdom/nature/insight) then you could have let them known that these 4 lone goblins do not look like their are afraid, even if they are alone in the wilderness and goblins are known for their cowardly nature.

That would have been a surefire way of saying "these goblins behave strangely and are probably unusual"

Also, if the party would not have been able to outrun the barghests, how was a lone bandit able to, exactly?

You seem to be ignorant, forgetting that
>Players are retards and need to be told at least five times before they understand

Yes, you had the bandit tell them: but that alone is not enough to convince a party of murderhobos that shit is fucked and they need to GTFO

>to overwatch the dm
You don't get it, do you?

ok thank you

>players get their hands on the tower of a deceased archmage.
>laboriously clear rooms of defenses, find out what various magical apparatuses do, essentially waging a small war on the auto-defenses.
>along the way, go on adventures to raise capital or acquire information to help secure the tower.
>make enemies along the way doing said adventures.
>one such enemy gathers up a small army (about 100 men) and lays siege to their tower
>odds aren't looking good, so the players decide to cut and run, raise their own force and retake the tower later.
>they can do this because the tower has a teleporter
>before they pull out, they spend time activating defenses, taking everything they can conveniently carry, and trashing the rest
>one of the things they can't take with them is a huge crystal made out of stuff called crysx, which is essentially a colossal magical battery. It carries a huge amount of energy, and taking it through the teleported will make it explode.
>so, got to get rid of it.
>they decide to use it to power their teleport out.
>it is an order of magnitude more energetic than the stuff they usually use.
>don't even make them roll !not spellcraft, just warn them that the chance of a teleporter mishap is "overwhelmingly likely"
>they do it anyway.
>resulting explosion causes TPK, and blows up most of the tower and the besieging army to boot.

>players can only see the world through GM's descriptions
>GM tricks and lies to them
Fuck you

>putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger

I love these threads, in 90% of the posts the dude complaining (in this specific thread GMs) are the ones to blame

>That would have been a surefire way of saying "these goblins behave strangely and are probably unusual"
They already knew that.

>Also, if the party would not have been able to outrun the barghests, how was a lone bandit able to, exactly?
He ran while his party was busy getting eaten by the Barghests.

>Yes, you had the bandit tell them: but that alone is not enough to convince a party of murderhobos that shit is fucked and they need to GTFO
They learned to not be as murderhoboyi.