/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2/posts/2018962
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/a-month-on-mars-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
On a scale of Slightly Bemused to Very Angry, how do you feel about the splat combos for Dark Eras 2?
>5th edition cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da
>New Deviant preview
theonyxpath.com/one-of-a-kind-deviant-the-renegades/

Highly Amused but Confused!

>Golden Age of Sci Fi
>Werewolf
>Not Promethean
They really just wanted to be as retarded as they possibly could, huh?

Funnily enough that one is just a few dozens of seconds older

Surely it would take no effort to set a Promethean Chronicle there without need any changes to usual PtC paradigm?

Trying to make Beast: The Primordial not nearly as bad.

Could Beasts eat other Beasts; what would the repercussions be if their feeding incurred the other beast's death? What would a Hunter do confronted with a Beast's Hero?

In fairness, the Duel Arcane in the Wild West might be pretty dope.

But that's not really how mage fans want it to work. Spells-instead-of-guns isn't high power enough for 'em.

The uh, the Duel Arcane doesn't really involve spells. It's a thing that can only happen between two Mages so I don't really understand your point.

What do vampires add to an arthurian setting?

Changeling has already visited the formula in Roses and Sabres in prerevolutionary France where rapier duels were hot.
Hedge Duels is common Changeling dispute settling manner so it's interesting to see it get stupidly more lethal with guns...

What did y'all think of the new V5 scenario, Rusted Veins? Seems better to me, esepcially since they got rid of the "3 attributes" thing (and left out most of the garbage political takes)

>Vampires in Arthurian time are from me, for instance. Previously it was Changeling and Hunter. Vampire has many ties to Arthurian times and as I said in my pitch, the muddled legends and facts of the time are a prime example of how vampires meddle with history.
- Baker who pitched it.

Not much, but people paid money for it be in there apparently so whatever. I'm seeing a lot of people be really confused at a lot of these choices, and I'm right there with them.

of what muddled legends does the baker speak?

I like that Suleri Drals, he sounds like the last voice of reason on the official forums.

I just woke up. What happened with Dark Eras?

'Maybe there were vampires? In Arthurian times? I dunno it's a legend'
-Ventrue Historian

Obviously of the Gingerbread Man.

Official splat combos are out, follow the second kickstarter link in the OP to see them.

Confused and slightly upset is the general reaction across the platforms.

That I do not know. Don't shoot the messenger and all that.

So why do hunters and vampires get places into Arthurian Britain? Is Onyx Path selling out to butthurt Mage-haters all of a sudden?

How very unprofessional.

>uuuhhh...I dunno, vampires meddle with history and the arthurian tales are a legend

A lot of people have called it out as an odd choice. But whatever. Mage Camelot is still going to be a thing. Just not in Dark Eras.

>And Mage is more appropriate for the Wild West than Hunter

No, it is not.

I will attribute many of the terrible splat era choices and crossover pairings to OPP developmental dyslexia and sheer incompetence, at best, and unmitigated spite, at worst.

>Mage Camelot is still going to be a thing

And where was this stated?

>The two DEs that Mages DO get are ones where Mages don't make any sense to be
>They don't appear in the ones where they do
Like pottery

>So why do hunters and vampires get places into Arthurian Britain? Is Onyx Path selling out to butthurt Mage-haters all of a sudden?

Maybe it's a not too subtle message to Dave. If he isn't going to devote the necessary time and attention to Mage, neither will the rest of OPP.

>That's a nice splat you have there, it would be a shame if something happened to it...

What's some good comeback to answer him without being censored?

It's not like a full setting is guaranteed to be in Tome of the Pentacle, but the Camelot connection is going to persist into 2e and remain canon, under the helpful loophole that Mage Camelot was an era-that-never-was, erased from the timeline very much like Atlantis.

"Vampires made up the sword in the stone to trick mortals into bending over and trying to pull it out so they could drain their blood" -Example of Vampires Meddling with History

Simple theory: some of the splats were specifically chosen in juxtaposition with the Era to add completely new character concepts and options to templates.

Just ask him to elaborate and put his answers under intense but not aggressive scrutiny. You might get banned anyway.

>Mage Camelot is still going to be a thing
>And where was this stated?

Dave mentioned during the Kickstarter that if Mage wasn't in Arthurian Britain, he would be sure to include it in a later book, possible Tome of the Pentacle.

However, since Signs of Sorcery is still in development and not anywhere near release, we would be lucky to see Tome of the Pentacle shortly before the heat death of the universe.

I don't really get the reactions. The settings aren't canon unless the ST decides so, so it's not like Mages in Camelot can no longer be a thing. Frankly, since the early reaction was "we more game content, not settings," I'm surprised that the announcement wasn't just met with an angry shrug.

The fact that the devs caved into the whiners is fucking hilarious. I didn't realize how terrible OPP was.

>Simple theory: some of the splats were specifically chosen in juxtaposition with the Era to add completely new character concepts and options to templates.

Better Theory: Rich is a douche and Rose has become increasingly incompetent.

>The settings aren't canon

Except they are.

As the backer who inadvertently created Wild West Mage/Changeling, I am so fucking sorry. All I wanted was Prometheans on steamboats, not this nonsense.

Yeah, why build on any kind of thematic foundation when you can just throw shit into a pot, melt it together, and hope that you make something good?

What do you have to gain from this? Beside something to complain about?

It's the opposite. The settings are canon unless the ST decides they aren't.

CofD's a toolbox setting, anything that is not explicitly on screen at the table is not canon to a table's game. If you're not using it and if you're not planning to use it, there's no reason to feel beholden to it.

It isn't your fault that the writers have no comprehension of good storytelling techniques, why certain things are popular, and how not literally everything has to be a retarded forced 'subversion'.

Maybe if I smear shit on a plagiarized Beauty and the Beast fanfic I'll get a job freelancing for the next Changeling book.

Yes. Dave had said previously that Dark Eras: Camelot was a Mage/Changeling crossover piece.
It was over at RPG.net. Though Dave himself voted for the Jazz era.

Why they suddenly changed it is beyond me.
But seems to have it right

Because if it's all obvious a Storyteller can start a Chronicle with any of the mentioned era/splat right now. OPP want to add some more options and optional rules.
Is something in current rules stopping you all from going and having your Mage Camelot adventures with Archmage Merlin?

How would you fix it?

"Said" or "Speculated"?

See All this shit is a shared universe. If you don't like it, make it a non-factor yourself.

>why do people want lore relating to mage society in a time where people want mages to be
>why do people want lore relating to hunters in a time where they want to play hunters
If you just tell people to 'make the setting themselves' why even publish anything beyond the rules of play?

>As the backer who inadvertently created Wild West Mage/Changeling, I am so fucking sorry. All I wanted was Prometheans on steamboats, not this nonsense.

How did you "inadvertently create Wild West Mage/Changeling," particularly if you intended steamboat prommie?

For starters, I'd put things in Eras where they made sense to be, then I'd write things in Eras where they made sense to be. Then, I'd publish it. All they have to do is 'not intentionally fuck up'. Which is the step they failed at, coincidentally.

This is good mentality and attitude.
By default there should be very little meta knowledge and this helps it.
Oh, you've encountered werewolf for the first time! I wonder if it's actually allergic to silver or if it's just urban legend? And of it isn't you can't whine about ST going against the rules because there is no rules for Werewolves unless ST decides so.

>Is something in current rules stopping you all from going and having your Mage Camelot adventures with Archmage Merlin?
Yeah, the absolute lack of a foundation. Information about the era, myths and how they relate to the setting, pivotal STCs, basically a complete lack of everything I need to make a really fleshed out campaign. The Camelot connection is not a foundation. It's decorations to put in the house you build on the foundation out of the tools and blueprints provided to you.

Maybe if I had enough time to essentially take up a second job writing OPP's fluff for them, I might be able to do that.

Haven't they explicitly mentioned that they want this to be less "setting" and more content?

Considering the 'actual' Camelot was erased, aren't vampires, hunters and changelings kinda shit out of luck or the cool fantasyesque depiction of the setting?

500AD~ wasn't castles and magic. It was wooden buildings and muddy warfare.

Setting is content. What, is the book just going to be a bunch of rules?

It's eleven or so separate games that may, at the choice of the table, be interlocked or combined in different ways. From there, the table can choose how to best express their game mechanically, with custom answers to the game's intentionally open spaces in the setting.

CofD was designed to be modular from the get go. Dark Eras settings are just that: modules that may be clicked into the game at the table's option.

For those who want more in-built lore and history, the WoD setting not only has conversion books to play in a rule set that they feel is more comfortable, but the upcoming Fifth Edition seems like it will provide then with the experience that they truly desire with a more modern ruleset.

The Piracy one makes lots of sense for mage.
Ladder and Seers uniting against a nameless order in Nassau.

>the setting isn't shared
At this point I'm just going to ask you to show me where that is definitively stated as it goes against different splats being mentioned as existing in practically all the CofD books.

>King Arthur’s Britannia – Hunter/Changeling /Vampire

People often inquire if there are any redeeming qualities to the Exarchs.

If the Exarchs erased and retconned this poor excuse for Arthurian Britain, well..., I, for one, welcome my Exarch overlords!

Wow. Just how fucking retarded are the people over at OPP.

It's like they all secretly whine about Mage themselves

The good Britannia with Mage is what the Exarchs erased.

But he's fine with his gay shit being jammed into the Wild West? Fucking hypocrite

Two things:
1. Everyone had to present two choices for the devs to fulfill their pledges. Mississippi was my first, and Wild West was my second
2. Creators of Darkness had no input on what splats could be added into their chosen era.

It basically boiled down to the devs selecting which of the two they liked more and doing whatever with it. Backers had very little control of what happened from there.

It's not like he can do anything about it. The majority of writers seem to be terrified of his line.

My god. At this point I won't be surprised if Dracula does turn out to be a Beast. Terrible world building.

Dave hasn't said anything about the confirmed choices as far as I know. Also, what was denied the Wild West era that had a bunch of material building up to it?

>the era of the vigilante and bounty hunter
>featuring no vigil or hunter
Truly they were
Chronicles of Darkness

Should have been Mage/Hunter, if you ask me. I'm worried with Changeling in it they'll make it too romanticized.

New powers, subsystems, mini-splats and "prestige-classes," possible details on crossover interactions, armories, Chronicle pitches that can probably be utilized by other splats with little imagination and so on.

You idiots don't seem to fucking get it.

Mage Camelot and Dark Eras: Camelot are two completely different things.
Jesus fucking Christ Almighty.

>It basically boiled down to the devs selecting which of the two they liked more and doing whatever with it. Backers had very little control of what happened from there.

You got screwed.

I have to wonder how Dave *truly* feels about all this.

'A-at least I came out ahead of Beast...'

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Honestly as a Changelingfag, putting Changelings in Wild West can get ugly way too easy.

It could also get good or bad.

>There are literal Legacies taking origin in Britain.
>Ones all about this shit
>One of which has 'Merlin' as a title
>The same Legacy which the -actual- Merlin was from

>And they still kicked Mage out of DE Britain

Or just dirty.

Reason? A non-existent factor apparently. I'm fucking appalled by how bad this is all going to turn out. At least half of the Eras make absolutely no sense at all.

The Searchers could be great inspiration for Changeling Wild West.

As of today they're two different things. Mage Camelot could have been the Dark Era. I was honestly excited at what it would mean. I assumed Merlin did something to weaken the Lie in Camelot, and that Changelings and Mages would be out in the open, living out amazing fairytale stories without hiding. At least, that's what I hoped for.

Mage is special enough to warrant its own Camelot, yes.
The Camelot responsible for all other Camelots.

The Magefags don't seem to realize this.

That sounds like a cool setting. Maybe you could run it?

They didn't get kicked out because they weren't there to begin with.
Mage Camelot got fucking erased.

>Maybe you could run it?
With what, exactly?

Or you know, the Dark Eras could have been set in Mage Camelot, but they decided to have that not be the case.

Imagination, improvisation, ad lib, and some lovingly made character sheets and sticky notes with plot ideas.

Is there a better feeling than seeing the magefags get completely btfo?

But user, homebrew is the devil. Have we learned nothing from Goody Aspel's witchery?

When once in a thousand years in this thread two mind get in sync and start throwing ideas at one another and having fun?

They're only mad because they won't be able to btfo Changelings in a crossover setting piece.

Otherwise they have it even better.

[Read in most annoying, overly sweet kindergarten teacher's voice]
What is that? Is user's little dream setting too insignificant to justify stepping over RAW and taking risks? How awful! Tragic! The world shall never experience the glory of user's dream setting of Weakened Lie Camelot where Changelings and Mages live side by side! Those nasty Onyx Path Fools! Bullying Poor user! Not letting Poor user Live the Dream!

Vampire in Camelot is kinda dumb, Scandinavian witch trials as setting seems too broad (1400-1700s) Pleasantly surprised by the amount of Hunter, Mage in the west seems a bit odd, Changeling fits better if you consider black migration. And the golden age of Scifi is
probably going to be shit, due to it being less about pulpy science and more about the authors.

I can see some potential fun with the idea of Arthur literally driving back the night as part of founding Camelot, if that is their intention.

HOLY FUCK, MAGENIGGERS UTTERLY BLOWN THE FUCK OUT, LIKE, HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT

>Mages have actual Camelot
>>Vampires, Changelings and Hunters are stuck with not!Camelot

DE2: Came-light? Fauxcelot?

I also don't see mages and changelings getting along in the Wild West.