Explain Eragon to me Veeky Forums

As the title says, wtf is Eragon?
A friend of mine is running a campaign based off the books and from what I can gather the 1d4 article wasnt joking.
The way he puts things the MC and most of the others are pretty much massive mary sues. From how he has statted the races the elves and not-ork thingies are massively overpowered and elves themselves are a race of massive sue's

And the world history - I dont get it? Some of the others have tried to explain it too e but it makes no sense. Dragons are incredibly powerful and it takes the MC, his elf waifu and 12 of the most powerful elves to slow a dragon down for a few seconds but the elves used to hunt dragons like they where deer, and this started a war between them but the elves where not wiped out immediately?

Dragons are so powerful it takes magic sword forged from unobtanium and diety level magic to even stand a chance against them but a single not-ork managed to kill one with a basic bow and arrow and no magic?

The bigbad is all powerful but the elves who where hunting and slaughtering dragons couldnt stop him when he got a new dragon?

The not-orks are terrifying and can outrun dragons and kill them but they didnt just slaughter the bigbad when he attacked them?

Not-orks and humans fought but the humans never develped basic shieldwall and spear/pike block formations?

Please help me here Veeky Forums, none of this makes any sense to me.

Other urls found in this thread:

eragon-sporkings.wikia.com/wiki/Eragon_Sporkings_Wiki
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So, a kid writes fantasy star wars after reading Jeremy Thatcher: Dragon Hatcher, and while this would have just sat on some hard drive and been forgotten forever, he manages to meet some book publishers willing to read his book, and they love it and decide to publish it and extravagantly promote it. These publishers being his parents is irrelevant.

So, yeah. It's ideas we love (dragons! the entire star wars plot!) and that was enough for our childhood minds to ignore all the gaping flaws in the series up until the 2nd book started to shit the bed in its second half and then just died in the third book.

Contrary to popular belief, there were no books after that.

Wasn't there a fourth b-...

Wait, you don't like getting the BBEG to convert his mass into energy using the power of freindship to power a regret spell? Honestly I duspect he took a physics class, and his mind was blown.

I used to be obsessed with this series, and it's sad that the Panolini turned into an arrogant fuckwad and all the good stuff he previously wrote gets shit on unfairly.

Basically, in order to actually understand what the fuck is going on, you have to think of them like this;
>Eragon and Eldest are high-fantasy novels featuring a basic hero's journey plotline.
>Brisngr and Inheritance are Science-Fantasy novels featuring characters the author really doesn't want to write about.

I havnt read the books, I'm just going off what the others (who have) have told me. The whole thing sounds ill thought out.

It's written by 17 year old. It can be enjoyable but there are very few thoughts a 17 year old has that can't be taken apart under a microscope, much less a whole book series.

It is about a guy that really, really wants to bang his sister

That's the author, not the story.

In the story the protagonist (that shares all the authors views on everything and is therefore always right) wants to fuck the hot chick that the author admitted to basing on either his mother or sister, I forget which.

>Mfw he gets denied in the worst way at the end

He evidently didn't do enough of that physics class to use a rather simple equation, though. "Fully grown man goes antimatter" is not "oh fuck the castle exploded, hold it with spell" it's "RIP Continent".
70kg = roughly one hundred and forty thousand Hiroshimas.

Magic system was intriguing enough when I was reading it for the first time, but it's also blatantly extremely simple to break wide open even without any modern physics knowledge.

This, is you convert the entire mass of a man into photons the explosion would be measured in gigatons.

>The bigbad is all powerful but the elves who where hunting and slaughtering dragons couldnt stop him when he got a new dragon?
To be fair, he also had a shitload of stolen dragon souls powering contingency spells warding him from basically any form of assault.

>wtf is Eragon
"Dragon" with the first letter advanced one position in the alphabet. That's that same amount of effort that was given in creating everything else related to it.

Tortellini is the kind of guy who'd include an npc who's secretly a vampire and name him Dr. Acula or some shit.

Who's Tortellini?

I don't know but it sure sounds tasty!

Awesome idea, user! Thnx!

>all the good stuff he previously wrote gets shit on unfairly.
No it gets shit on because it's only good when it's a blatant rip off.

I thought it was alright. Worldbuilding flaws aside, of course.

You know, like how the wealthy maritime kingdom at the end of a number of large rivers, site of the first Human landings on the continent and assuredly the wealthiest fucks around is somehow the underdog breakaway region while the mountainous inland nation of vast expanses and isolated cities is the world-shaking empire. Or how the apparently fertile land on the other side of the fuckhueg desert, which really shouldn't be there considering how inexplicably well watered the Empire is regardless of the mountain ranges blocking the flow, has all of one settlement.

And yet he's richer than any of you fuckwits.

Just goes to confirm an eternal truism: It's not what you know; it's who.

So if a rich person shits on my table am I not allowed to complain?

>Dr. Acula
>Not Alucard
One job, user

The one thing that always stuck with me from this series is the idea of how trivially easy it is to kill someone with magic.

Like, why hurl a boulder at someone when you can just use telekinesis to sever their spine?

Wizard battles were just two dudes staring at each other until one fell over dead. I always thought it was neat.

"Alucard" is too subtle for Paolini.

I thought he only got published because his parents were book publishers.

>who's secretly a vampire

Excuse you, I think you mean wampire-- it's, like, the next evolution of vampire

It was series marketed to preteens that inadvertently created an entire generation of Scalies
this what happened to me

It's pretty garbage. The first book is just Star Wars in a Tolkien-derivative world with none of the amazing worldbuilding.
eragon-sporkings.wikia.com/wiki/Eragon_Sporkings_Wiki
Explains most everything fairly well.

That's no excuse. Also he was older when writing the later books (and the age that he said he wrote the first at was when he "came up with" the series, not when he wrote it proper).

The character based on his sister is Angela the witch, who Eragon does not want to bang.

The magic system is ripped off from another series.

Same. Don't really consider myself that, but hoo boy am I aching for a dragon waifu.

A bit of both. His parents were self-publishing his shit, then he went to conventions with all his books, which eventually got spotted by some big publisher's daughter.

Tolkien for edgy teen atheists

Not him but I liked them for what they were when I read them as a kid. But even then there were glaring holes in the story and stuff that made no sense, the fucking witch was an annoying deus ex that just always had an answer but had no real backstory.

I hated that.

But I read lots of stupid stuff.

The books were good. The movie was an unholy abomination that failed in every single aspect.

Short answer: See above replies mentioning how its a ripoff of everything in existence.
My take on responding to you though:
Dragon's are stupid powerful with magic and can do Miracles but not willingly just by accident, dumb as hell but whatever, the MC, Elf Waifu and 12 Elves thing was actually in reference to Murtagh and Thorn who were juiced up with the Eldunari, Soul Gems of Dragons more or less that are Deus Ex Machina Magic Batteries seemingly created for fuck all reason other than "This is why the villain is so stronk."
Dragons are powerful in a physical sense more than anything else, so if you fuck their wings up they're grounded and mundane weapons work if they can bypass the scales.
Bigbad is all powerful because he has a fucking autistic amount of Eldunari and eventually gets the biggest god damn Plot device of all time where he can just control magic outright, he only knows that for a short while though and doesn't get much use out of it before its becomes a Janitorial Spell for Eragon.
Blatant ripoff of Orcs aside I think the Urgals and Kull are kinda cool honestly, its a fresh-ish take on an Orc basically, they didn't kill bigbad because his Darth Vader esque servant Durza had mind controlled them en masse, after he died they fucked off and allied with the Rebels.
Humans are fucking retards in the setting and basically the weakest shit, to the point where even after getting a Dragon as a magic fuel source for Eragon's spells, Paolini Plot-Device'd him into becoming a Not-Elf for their "I'm better than you in every way" qualities.
Eragon is enjoyable enough if you ignore basic common sense, how everyone is a mary sue, how its written actually pretty badly from a storyboard like perspective (I'm shit with grammar and punctuation so I can't critique that.)
If he's running a campaign based on Eragon Magic could be either the weakest shit possible or the most overpowered god damn thing.

I'd honestly be pretty impressed if there was some evolved generation of super vampires who could actually resist the urge to call themselves something like Archvampires or First Sons or anything else thoroughly dramatic sounding, and instead settled for Wampires

Eragon is fantasy Jesus in NOT!Middle Earth, written by someone who's ideas about powerleveles didn't grow older than 14 year old.

I really liked the first one, the second one was interesting but fuck the third one, and the foruth doe´sn´t exist. And I have a few main complains:

-Why make the elves so fucking mary sue? There´s absolutely no point in them being so powerfull because the do fuck-all to help
-Why make eragon a not-elf? that was stupid, he could've been a way for humans to rise above and prove they're not shit compared to elfs of urgals.
-Why make eragon post-transformation a massive entitled cunt, marveling day and night about how much better he is than everybody else (hur dur meat is for the weaklings)

Eragon's whole character arc was dead on the ground the minute that blood dragon thing turned him into some race traitor autist. Goddamn now I'm mad again, fuck you Mussolini you ruined a series that started interesting.

Honestly, always thought Eragon was prety shitty. Fucking Deltora's was a better read when i was younger.

I had all 4 books growing up.

I loved them, and honestly it was a fun read for someone who liked fantasy novels. But now as an adult I can rationally read the critiques and understand why it hasn't aged fine.

Why was Eragorn exiled?

Welp, this is stuck in my head forever now.

You're missing the similarity to Aragorn

He exiled himself. Something something "I must build a new dragon rider order".

He wasn't exiled, he just left, pretty much as an excuse to have some sort of tragic love story with Arya.

Roran was the only decent thing about the series.

70kg of mass turned to energy would release energy equal to 1,5037 gigatons. That's not quite the end of the world when you consider that the energy would disperse in a sphere.

An explosion of 16 kilotons has a "total destruction" radius of about 1 mile. An explosion 100,000 times that (1.6 gigatons) would have a volume 100,000 times larger. The radius however would only be about 46.42 miles with light destruction out to 162.45 miles. At least that's the best estimate. It's huge but nowhere near continental.

I stand corrected, I admit I didn't bother to do the maths in any great detail other than "e = mc^2, damn that's a big number". Still, that's certainly going to vaporise the city and everyone surrounding it, so you wouldn't have much of a new government. War ends in an extremely dramatic draw.

>elves are always right
>elves tell dorves gods don’t real
>therefore they don’t
>dorf coronation
>dorf god shows up

this. But there is not much thatn you can do wrong about a guy with a hammer that beats stronger enemies to pulp

Well, this explains a lot, thanks.
But not his Dragon, right?
Thanks for the link user, its helping me to understand the series a bit better
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me user.
You see though, I still do not understand this whole dragon power level thing as it seems (from an external perspective) that they seem to slide all over the place. Initially the Elves are hunting them and slaughtering them, then the elves manage to push them to near mutual destruction, then.... What? Dragons suddenly become unstoppable juggernauts of deity level magic? The elves whom could previously go toe-to-toe with them cant any more?

The soul stones kind of make up for this I guess, but then why are they powering the evil guys who killed them/their friends?

Why doesnt the bigbad just wipe the floor with Eragon when he has his plot device instead of turning himself into a suitcase nuke? It would make far more sense after all.

And I still do not get why Humanity has not developed rank and file fighting, seeing as they have been fighting the not-orks for centuries. Hell, in real life Foot infantry developed effective tactics against cavalry (which hit a lot harder) as early as the Roman empire or the Greek era. Surely after losing so often to the urgals they would have realised the best tactics where to stand off and shell them with arrows as they closed, then meet them with a shieldwall and braced spears, forcing them to throw their weight onto a wall of spikes?

Mahic in his campaign is odd. You have spell points that are based off your Con, the better your Con the better you are. Ironically this has led to the Kull being the best caster we have. Spells cost a number of points per minute to run and you can also put points into your wards, which are essentially floating hitpoints that opponents have to cut through before they can scratch you. Unless they have a riders sword which outright ignores them.

>Deltora
REMINDER

>Thanks for the link user, its helping me to understand the series a bit better
So you were looking for a group to hate the setting with, not an actual explanatio nfor anything.

That's good, because you're not likely to get any actual explanations here.

A fantasy book series written by a 15 years old and it shows. It's Star Wars with dragons but every single character is a massive faggot.

>15 year old
Try 20 year old. He was 15 when he started, but it was a completely different book when he finished, but the publisher didn't mention that fact.
Nothing to do with him being related to them, I'm sure

I thought he wrote Eldest when he was 17 or something.

It wasn't awful.

Definitely not as good as the books, and the "for kids" is played up a bit, low violence, but it was good enough that I hope there might be ova's or another season for the other books.

Eragon was so utter trash tho

I mean its helping me to understand why I cannot listen to one sentence about it from my friends without hitting a dozen plot holes, and why the NPC's from the books seem so.... So.... Flat is the best word I think.

Nope.
Eragon was advertised as written by a 15 year old, but he was in or around his twenties when it was actually released.
He may have written parts of eldest when 17, but they'd also have been heavily changed by the time it went to print.

The way I see it is that being unable to give themselves such retarded names or obvious aliases is just another of their huge weaknesses like need for blood, being unable to cross flowing water, sunlight, silver, garlic, religious symbols and getting stabbed by obnoxious mary sues.

Weaker ones are often named reasonably but the stronger the vampire is the stronger their repercussions from acting smart become. I suppose they could try calling themselves something less obvious but then they would get sidelined by the plot and suffer from their bodies rejecting their identity. Vampires need to act arrogantly and call themselves something a 12 year old would think is cool or they become mooks.

I like it when math anons come in and explain shit

>none of this makes any sense to me.
that's because it doesn't

>understand why it hasn't aged fine.
man, it wasn't "fine" when it came out.

>Star Wars in a Tolkien-derivative world
Exactly what I thought, Obi-Wan and the Jedi ride dragons

It's nothing but teenage geek wankery. Gotta say I'm impressed about him being able to actually publish anything at 13, though. I was glued to my SNES at that age.

jesus fuck fucking dragonfable has better worldbuilding than this mess

It doesn't make sense because it's badly written. The books somehow managed to get worse despite the author getting older and more mature, and by the end it was a toss-up as to whether or not it was worse than Twilight.

>An explosion of 16 kilotons has a "total destruction" radius of about 1 mile. An explosion 100,000 times that (1.6 gigatons) would have a volume 100,000 times larger. The radius however would only be about 46.42 miles with light destruction out to 162.45 miles. At least that's the best estimate. It's huge but nowhere near continental.

Thank you user

>Dragon" with the first letter advanced one position in the alphabet.
I would have called it Cragon.

Inverse capability theory? AKA Chris-chan syndrome.

Probably had more editing when he was younger, for obvious reasons, and they later assumed he didn't need as much oversight.
They were wrong

What about the film anyway? It was okayish at best but does it emulate the books in any way?

It's a shit adaptation that managed to be worse than the books.
Also, Jeremy Irons was the only good actor.

>tfw the story I have in mind has also a lot in common with Star Wars, not to mention other works
Can I make this into a minor flaw if I try hard enough to make it an interesting rip-off?

His parents owned the publishing company, so that's one of the main reasons this became a thing.

It's one of the few times I've seen a movie out-terrible the already awful source material.

Jeremy Irons being good actually made it worse, since he highlighted how shit everyone else was, and the shade guy took over his scenery chewing duties.
If he'd gone to his normal shit movie standby, the many failings of everyone else probably would have been less noticeable

Call it an homage and you're golden.
Just don't mimic Star Wars beat for beat.

I personally preferred him as Profion in Dungeons&Dragons.

Kid "writes" Star Wars with Dragons.

Conveniently, parents own a publishing company.

Thus we suffer.

If you want some laughs see what Paolini says about his own work now. (Spoiler he still thinks it's original and excellent despite the fact he's never successfully written anything else besides Twitter posts.)

Wow that sounds legit awful.

Oh yes.

I'm not mimicking it but it has many elements in common. If I had to list the ones I remember right now then it would be:
>an orphan kid meets a plot device (in this case, a mysterious little girl) by chance
>adoptive family gets murdered because of that
>flees while being chased by the empire
>main guy in charge of hunting him is a tall and menacing man who wears a mask and got his body badly burned years ago
>they meet a veteran warrior who grew cynical due to something that happend in the past
>the main villain is a sorcerer
>there are rebels and the protagonist is trying to reach them
That's as far as I can remember right now. With that said, the premise might be similar but I think the way I'm planning to handle it will be different enough to avoid people calling it a rip-off but I'm not entirely sure.

>The bigbad is all powerful but the elves who where hunting and slaughtering dragons couldnt stop him when he got a new dragon?
He was lonely and wanted revenge for his old dragon. And he discovered the magic word for shaping the world.

He was a good cousin that just want to marry his girl and start a family

My favourite race of the books were the Ra'al, too bad they were exterminated

It's more than that.
>Orphaned boy with hidden powers and important parents is raised by an uncle on a farm.
>A MacGuffin connected to a secret resistance comes into his hands and belies some greater purpose for him.
>An old hermit takes him under his wing while servants of the evil empire kill his uncle.
>He learns the ways of Megik with his Grargon, fawns over some bitch while fawning over some hologram girl.
>Old mentor dies fighting a servant of the evil empire.
>Hero meets dashing rogue who objects to joining either side of the conflict.
>He helps the hero out in the final battle anyway.
There's also more than that later on.

I was talking about a story I have in mind and how I fear I will end up pulling a Paollini and having people shit on me because I wrote a Star Wars rip-off with some medieval fantasy thrown in.

Just don't get so incredibly "inspired" by some existing media that you literally retool the damn thing.

It was even easier. You can just pinch a vein in their brain and they die instantly.

I do agree though that this is one of the few interesting things from this series.

Yeah this always kind of struck me as odd. If you didn't have a magic caster in your army locking down the enemy magic casters, the other caster could just kill hundreds of thousands of soldiers instantly because magical power is based on how physically hard something is to do. So however easy you could tear our one small nerve times that by 100,000, you have decimated the army and maybe your arms are sore or something? Way too fucking powerful

author suffers from a sever case of "living in the present and trying to make a character seem smart by shoveling in as many modern day things as possible" syndrome
some highlights include: randomly realizing the world is round, founding the not!orklympic games and literally everything that has to do with the elves.
also i remeber the whole "promise in magic language" thing have a bunch of paradoxes but i can't remember what they where exactly, regardless it was dumb as all hell. Because you could promise something you didn't want to promise and you where bound to it , but you could break a promise as long as if it didn't feel to you like you where breaking it on a technicality

it's a cool concept imo and it fitted somewhat well in the setting with magic being rare and all that
it also allowed for magic to be powerfull and non magic user to have a significant role at the same time
it just begs the question even more why that lazy fuck never got out of his throne room and quell the rebellion / conquer what was left of the continent in a minute or two

yeah they point that out inbook

Eragon is told the best thing he can do is go after wizards because as a Rider he's stronger and has a dragon backing his mind up and defending him

So I quit the book sometime halfway into the last book. Can I get a tl;dr of the ending?

I remember them hamming up the "Big bad guy is crazy and might not think to protect something that seems obvious to you" so I'm expecting there to be a "I used magic to cramp his leg and then stabbed him" or something dumb like that

If that's the case what's the fucking point of Fielding an army? If like 5 dudes with point hats can kill an almost unlimited number of people, what's the point? Are there just massive casualties every war? It just doesn't make sense for anyone to fight but wizards if they are so good damn powerful

>Get a gem from Obi-Wan Kenobi that's described as having so much magic poured into it you're surprised it doesn't explode
>Sit on it for like fifty chapters, debating on if you should use it in these reasonable situations
>End up using it to move a bunch of rocks

>Side A has an army with five wizards in it
>Side B has an army with five wizards in it
>Both sides wizards focus on counterspelling eachother into uselessness

At this point you can win in one of two ways
>One sides fighters overpowers the other, meaning the wizards now have to care about the guys with pointy sticks coming at them, meaning they either get stabbed or get aneurysm'd by the enemy wizards while they're distracted

Or

>One sides wizard team overpowers the other wizard team, at which point they all die and the mages can focus on the fighters

If I recall, the wizards need to know how to speak an old language not openly known outside the elf place, and need to speak their exact intent precisely. If they don't, usually shit backfires on them pretty quickly, and they kill themselves in the process. So while it's already really hard to find a guy who can use magic, it's harder to find a guy who can use magic that also has the knowledge to properly phrase a "I pinch the veins of every enemy in the army."

No he wasn't.

>roran! the bad guy has an impenetrable magic shield!
>roran just hits the bad guy until the shield breaks

this user gets it right basically wizards where mostly focused on protecting and counter spelling
they can also put wards on on soldiers in advance etc

When did this happen? I only remember him fucking up the twin traitor mages.