Where did the whole ''orcs have massive lower tusks'' -trope originate?

Where did the whole ''orcs have massive lower tusks'' -trope originate?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orcus
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Warhammer Fantasy Battles, and later, Warcraft.

(OP)
Warhammer Fantasy Battles, and later, Warcraft.

Warcraft, and prior, Warhammer Fantasy Battles.

its been some time since I read my Tolkien, but didn't his have tusks?

They were "fanged"

Note the difference

They were more like what we'd consider goblins or hobgoblins in more modern fantasy.

The movies, (imo), had decent depictions.

I thought it was from boar.

But why would they randomly put just that one single Japanese pig orc feature on Western humanoid orc?

Tolkien's assorted orcs and goblins where all varieties of the same creature from different places, barring Uruk-hai who where half-orcs.

It started with D&D porcs and later Warhammer added them to their more human looking orcs.

>Where did the whole ''orcs have massive lower tusks'' -trope originate?

Piggies.

Pretty fun how Tolkien's simian, intelligent and technologically gifted, smaller than human orcs evolved into porcine, stupid and tech-illiterate, larger than human modern orcs.

Uruk-hai weren't half-orcs. They were uber-orcs.

They're still around, it's just that they're called goblins now. As they were interchangeably in the hobbit.

Tolkien's orcs were deformed and evil counterparts of elves. They didn't have a common trait apart from being smaller than humans, crooked and with greenish or red-brown skin.
Maybe some of them could've had tusks but it wasn't a defining trait of all the orc race

Those piggies look silly

>Where did the whole ''orcs have massive lower tusks'' -trope originate?
i think there were some boar-like orcs depicted in the animated hobbit before anything else

But are the boars pregnant?

yep, orcs in 1977 folks

I thought they were made when humans put the dick in a orc.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The earliest depiction of I can find are the classic "pig-orcs" as depicted by David Sutherland in the classic AD&D Monster Manual, which is also from 1977 (same as the Hobbit above)

Nope.

The war trolls bred by Sauron had tusks, they also had spiked scales and stood slightly taller than a man. So basically what a spikey Warhammer Ork might look like (and nothing like their recent depiction in Shadow of War).

Fun fact, 'orc' is the human interpretation of 'uruk' which is the goblin word for 'goblin'.

Warhammer.

Warhammer invented big green orcs.

Cool, it's always neat to learn yet another thing that tolkien influenced.

Fun fact: male swine have four tusks. Two upper and two lower. Females, on the other hand, only have two tusks, their upper teeth.

And where does the word goblin came from?

Neat. I'll apply that to my orcs, I think it's neat.

I use Warcraft orcs instead of porcs, but that's still a cool little feature.

Dungeons and dragons
They made them disitinct from goblins
Warhammer fantasy was originally created to use models made for dungeons and dragons
They then doubled down on the piggish element - shame the got rid of cyboars

Because pig orcs originally came from western writers/artists

Germanic folklore

>Warhammer
>"originate"

A slightly more specific topic, which designer was in charge of the jump between the slightly more "classic" citadel orcs of the mid 80s and the fore runners of the modern design with the much larger lower jaws and heavier brows?

Kev Adams' Orcs were fairly flat faced (they did sometimes have small tusks though), same with the Perry's.

Nick Lund's seem to have a bit more of a range to them, some were similar to the Adams and Perry design, but others like Eeza Ugezod’s Mother Crushers' had much more pronounced underbites and tusks.

Hildebrandt Orcs predate them slightly.

Bruh

DOWN DOWN TO GOBLIN TOWN!
DOWN DOWN TO GOBLIN TOWN!

I think it was the Chiefs Men in Return of the King (in the book not the movie) that were half uruk half human and that Uruks were just superior Orcs.

/thread

1975 Franzetta Orcs had the underbite and fangs but no full on tusks.

It's up in the air. Treebeard does question if it is an Orc/Human pairing, but it could be anything. It's worth noting that Tolkien wasn't very fond of orcs being twisted elves, and was in the middle of trying to come up with a better creation myth for them beyond that, but then he died from old. Uruk-hai could be anything from evil men whose bodies are twisted in reflection of their souls by the magics of Saruman, to regular orcs fed man-flesh and bred until he got super-orcs.

To complicate matters, Sauron had Uruks that were already bigger stronger orcs too, and we have no clue what their deal is.

His Golum also isn't too dissimilar to some of the early citadel goblins.

>Clearly marked that his name is Frank Frazetta
>Calls him Franzetta

Newfags, the lot of you.
Ludovico Ariosto's poem "Orlando furioso" has porcine, tusked orcs. Shit was written in 1516. Pretty sure that predates any other "origin" in this thread.

Canto XVII
Stanza XXIX
>While, with much solace seated in a round,
>We from the chase expect our lord's return,
>Approaching us along the shore, astound,
>The orc, that fearful monster, we discern
>God grant, fair sir, he never may confound
>Your eyesight with his semblance foul and stern!
>Better it is of him by fame to hear,
>Than to behold him by approaching near
Stanza XXX
>To calculate the griesly monster's height,
>(So measureless is he) exceeds all skill;
>Of fungus hue, in place of orbs of sight,
>Their sockets two small bones like berries fill.
>Towards us, as I say, he speeds outright
>Along the shore, and seems a moving hill
>Tusks jutting out like savage swine he shows
>A breast with drivel foul and pointed nose
Stanza XXXI
>Running, the monster comes, and bears his snout
>In guise of brach, who enters on the trail
>We who behold him fly (a helpless rout)
>Wherever terror drives, with visage pale.
>Tis little comfort, that he is without
>Eyesight, who winds his plunder in the gale,
>Better than aught possest of scent and sight:
>And wing and plume were needed for our flight.

Ariosto's Orc was a blind sea-monster, granted, but the "Tusks jutting out like savage swine he shows" is pretty unmistakable.

That's what I get for misnaming the files in the first place.

Thanks for pointing it out though.

I have extreme doubts that this is what early fantasy writers were referencing.

Probably referencing the same several thousand years of oral myth and history everyone else was. Props to the man for finding such an old written reference.

There's a theory that Beowulf's orcneas came from örkn (old icelandic type of seal) and was the name for sea monsters.

That would tie with Ariosto. And not like tusks and/or giant fangs are uncommon in sea monster descriptions.

More Whore my lord?

Makes sense given Tolkien literally stated he took the name from Orcas.

Strange nobody has done sea Orcs who use black bodypaint actually.

Orcus user. Orcus.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orcus

he wasn't talking about whales.

Second orc thread to be ruined by dumbfucks posting shit that is not orcs. Kill yourselves faggots.

It's from an Italian writer from the 1600's by the name of Giambattista Basile, who derived the name for orc's from the Neapolitan Italian word Orco, which means giant, to describe giant hairy tusked beastmen, who have the head of pigs.

Oddly enough, I actually took that idea for my setting. Or rather, I made it so Orcas were hyper-intelligent beings with mind-magic, who used it to create orcs as thralls to carry out their will on the surface. Their will mainly being settling disputes with other Orcas, tossing meat into the ocean, and generally being sadistic assholes.

>However

Yeah, exactly. No clear distinction as to whether Uruks are those orc men, or if orc men were what Saruman was using to fuck with the Shire.

teeheee boobies

CUTE

Uruk Hai were half orc half goblin I thought. That doesn't explain why they were so jacked but I'm like 90% sure that's how they were made

>half orc, half orc

No, they were literally Vietnamese people. Read his letters.

>those shapely, bouncing cheeks on the leading orc

I-I thought orcs were supposed to be hideous.