/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2/posts/2018962
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/a-month-on-mars-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
Magefags got BTFO. How does this make you feel?
>5th edition cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da
>New Deviant preview
theonyxpath.com/one-of-a-kind-deviant-the-renegades/

Other urls found in this thread:

sendspace.com/filegroup/U42OsD1eDYm1ahZyvWrTZQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't really care?

Can we talk about custom dark eras ideas?

Sounds fun! Let's do it

Rhineland during the french occupation of the 20s
UK during the Thatcher years.

For me it would be Bohemia and Silesia during the Hussite wars 1419 to approximately 1434. You have fairly rich and well developed region that is also densly populated for that time. Also worth noting it was one of communication knots of back than. Also during that time rise of heresy, doomsday cults and other such stuff turned the whole area into a clusterfuck. And you can prolong this slightly because 20 years later we have fall of Constantinople(with was already described in first dark eras). I could imagine say coterie of vampires being carried on winds of history across the late medieval europe

Annoyed about the Arthurian era, but we will get it anyway and better in TotP, and we get a story full of dashing naval officers and rogues alike with rivarlies and romances in a Black Flag like scenario. We also get an interesting era with other interesting splats (Deviant, Demon) and hopefully rules for interactions between them. Light of the Sun is also happening shortly before the Piracy era, it could make for some interesting overlaps (like hints at what in Europe led to the events in Piracy).

And then we nuke Changelings in the wild west as they deserve. Anyone implying Changeling dueling is somehow superior to mage powers is deluded.

Who would ever claim that? I was one who brought it up last thread and only because I thought it was cool that both gamelines had duel mechanics and featured dueling as valid social disagreement solution.
No one else cares who'd top whom.

Anyway the closest we had for a canon True Fae and Mortal couple consisted of torture fetishist Slasher and his fan who was starting to slowly turn into human.

>Magefags got BTFO
Magefags are in a constant state of BTFO. We have so little content for our game that we have to ineptly write our own.

When are we going to get more Legacies? The 1e corebook had five, one for each path. Right now we have two, and one of them is Left-handed. Honestly, I don't understand how anyone could sit down to write Mages for the era of Alexander the Great, with the core theme of 'To the Strongest,' and decide to include in a spoopy voodoo hick soul-eating Legacy instead of, I don't know, the fucking Tamers of Fire or the Skalds.

But it's okay, because by next summer, we'll have Signs of Sorcery, which will include a new Legacy for the Moros Path. The one thing we don't fucking need.

>No one else cares who'd top whom.
Except for changelingfags. They care all the time.

Wonder if Wild West will be Mages and Changelings doing their own things with too much on their own plates to care, or if there would be stepping on one another's heels all the time, such as Changelings marauding in Nameless War.
Despite Magefags wanting to reduce some poor Lost to pair of smoking boots out of some misplaced childish grudges, I don't expect them to clash. At least not without some subsystem to give them equal footing.

It's impossible to stop mages from turning everything into a dick waving competition. Most of our threads are ruined by this.
Personally, I think they fucked up a good opportunity and then decided that they had to fit mage/changeling somewhere, even though I don't think changeling is the best wild west fit.

>I don't think changeling is the best wild west fit.

Changeling and mage are definitely not the best splats for the Wild West, either the movie version or the real thing.

The Wild West would have been great for werewolves,. vampires and prometheans.

Anyone here get to see the World of Darkness documentary? Really curious about what it's like, but haven't seen any reviews yet.
Also, anyone here have a Filmin account and watched it? Apparently it's available on there for October, but I can't seem to subscribe to the site since I'm in the US.

Signs has no new Legacies in it.

Any good news?

Hey, Dave.

Will Signs provide any more insight into the capabilities and uses of nuPrime?

Asking for a possible campaign of Yff the Apocalypse
would Veeky Forums consider helping a Glasswalker run for Mayor in a town a good plot hook as a first mission?

>I leave this oblation to the mighty komodo.

Any development previews you're willing to let us bicker about.

Changeling fan here, Dave, could you please tell Rose that there are people really hyped up for Changeling 2nd edition?

i need memes

>UK during the Thatcher years
My current campaign is literally this, but using 1e rules because fuck Chronicles

1e rules for which splat?

Most of them, but mostly Vampire and Werewolf (would've been a pure Vampire game but someone wanted to play Uratha, then got assmad over "vampire politics" and having to fight the Pure). We've currently got an Assault on Precinct 13-style situation with the coterie barricaded in a Manchester club they own, awaiting the local Pure pack's last-ditch assault on both them and their Forsaken allies.

But there's far worse than that about to happen if they survive that

I thought it was going to have the Forgemasters Legacy?

I don't even know what Changelings would be doing in the Wild West. Would have been so much better as Mage/Hunter.

As a changeling player, I agree.

It has potential if the players are urban garou(Glass Walker, Bone Gnawer, Silent Strider etc)

>"A Sidhe Seer from the Crystal Circle just made me this lovely vampire lawnchair from an Archmage... isn't it nice? It doesn't burn and scream in the sunlight the way those inferior vampire-conversions do..."

What I've understood is that we will get perfected metals.

We just need a book that contains all 1E legacies on 2-3 pages each. While there are fan conversions, those are of limited use to players new to Mage, unless those are willing to get tons of 1E books.

How well did the all Legacy or all Bloodline books sell in 1e? I was under the impression they didn't do great.

Several devs have said they explicitly do not want to do that. This is (ostensibly) a storygame, and is ill-suited to a 3.5-style treadmill of pure mechanical content.

Meiji Japan Werewolf: The end of the samurai class and the extinction of the Japanese wolf mirror each other and as the Forsaken look at the death of traditional Japan in the face of Western modernization, they are uncomfortably reminded of their own murder of Mother Wolf when she was no longer fit to serve. It’s Kurosawa does Werewolf, with ancient kami warring with new spirits of steam and gunfire.

Other ideas: Kowloon Walled City Vampire, Mythic Greece Changeling/Beast, Promethean in Roman Judea.

>ineptly
Hey, Legacyfag's work is pretty solid.

For Veeky Forums homebrew, yeah, his adaptations are pretty good.

It would be nice to have a Legacy Compendium, but the only way it could ever happen is if somebody went through all the books and just copied and pasted all the Legacy information. And by "somebody" I don't mean OPP. I mean some random guy doing it for free and probably running the risk of legal consequences.

The only real benefit to a collection of 1e Legacies would be the associated fluff, actually.

Too bad the storyteller's vault doesn't allow useful content.

Hunter and/or Beast during the age of exploration would be cool.

They are closer to 4th Paragon Paths. But it's not the mechanical content. Many legacies are full of plot hooks. They create a sense of wonder and terror, showing how far you can bend a soul. Sublime did this better than Ancients, although Ancients had some interesting ones as well.

It's not just plot hooks either. Players should feel like they're actually a part of something instead of just getting sweet powers.

>tfw no third iteration of WoD and CofD that further streamlines the mechanics to be a proper storygame and gets rid of Clans entirely

>Can we talk about custom dark eras ideas?

I say this every time, but late 40's, early 50's Las Vegas. End of the war, beginning of the atomic era, birth of a resort city in the middle of the desert on mob money. A place where you could go to get away from it all, and end up in a secret poker game in a penthouse room, where the prizes aren't anything from this world, while you watch mushroom clouds bloom on the horizon.

I'd do Changeling there, personally, with Promethean on top of it.

>I don't even know what Changelings would be doing in the Wild West
Being slaves for fate mages of course.

>Storygame

I don't know if I'd throw that label on, even with an "ostensibly." Even with 2e's bells and whistles, it belongs to an older paradigm and theory of game design.

I’m still a little mad that Conditions are so crunchy instead of being the Fate Aspects that they clearly want to be, and them rewarding Beats instead of Willpower has always bugged me.

But then again, I’m a bitter hipster who only plays PbtA hacks these days.

>it belongs to an older paradigm and theory of game design.
Other than maybe Unknown Armies, I'd say its better than most of the modern games. I can't stand Fate and other 'story' games for some reason. WoD fills a nice niche.

Mythic Greece would be awesome. Although I have issue with Beast pitching the Greek Heroes as Heroes -splat, True Fae tormenting Changelings as Olympians? Great. And even better if Forgotten Pantheon actually started back then...

UA3 looks like an absolute treat and is more crunchy than I can normally stomach, but Stolze can only wrote gold.

My general pitch for the Era was the Beasts as self-appointed Furies, punishing hubris and impiety as their excuse to feed, and how theirr faulty justification falls apart in the face of the Changelings who have actually been touched (and broken) by the gods theyey falsely claim to serve.

Any luck with finding new Urban Shadows games?

You have me sold on your Era now completely! Bravo!

I technically still have the one I was running, but we haven’t played since the polycule who made up half the group broke up, then un-broke up. It’s been too awkward and now all we do is talk about running the Destiny 2 raid and then not doing it. I want that helmet, fuckers!

My will was also a little broken by the Immortal playbook being utter shit.

What's the other Mage 2e Legacy?

Are oWoD changelings as weak as CofD changelings? What's the interest in Dreaming?

Changelings are arguably the weakest things in OWoD. DA: Fae were pretty meaty though.

Not sure about power level, but WoD Changeling is about being the last beacons of hope and creativity in a crushingly banal world. Depending on who you ask, it’s either incredibly bleak or disgustingly saccharine, and is one of the least popular lines.

However, Dark Ages: Fae is one of the best books in all of WoD, and is yet further proof of my hot take that Dark Ages should be considered distinct from WoD because of how vastly better it is.

>weakest things in OWoD

Wouldn't that go to Wraiths? Wraith powers are literal "you just researched breathing"

Of course it's better, which is why I was rather pissed when they killed the line because people might confuse it with the nWoD.

They reward Beats because overcoming adversity = growth for the character = Experience. Is there some glaring flaw in my logic I'm not aware of?

Probably the 11th Question in the 2e core.

I already know that one.

Wraiths can do some prretty wild shit.

Progression isn’t a very good incentive for narrative play because it doesn’t do anything in the moment. “I roleplayed this Condition enough times this session to have a new power next time we play” is weak synergy, and the mechhanic it clearly seems to be borrowing from in other games rewards you with a reroll or bonus in the same session, which I vastly prefer.

Dungeon World also does “fail to grow”and I loathe it, but then again I hate all of DW.

I just want Signs of Sorcery

It doesn't really work like that. You can only get one Beat per category per Scene. So you can't spam Conditions on end. You can resolve 5 Conditions in a Scene, if you for some reason have that many Conditions, but you would only get one beat. Conditions also aren't something you just choose to roleplay. As far as I know, the only way a player can willingly take a Condition that gives him Beats is if he opts for a Dramatic Failure, and then he gets one of the ST's choosing. You get Beats from negative Conditions either by resolving them, therefore overcoming them, or by experiencing the adversity they put on you. This makes it so that experiencing challenges and hurdles isn't just an annoyance for the player, it's something they can engage in to help their character grow and experience things, and then be more experienced for it. Note that I'm using the word "experience" a lot here.

I would still rather have them reward something useful in the session, rather than progression.

That's what positive Conditions are for.

>ou can resolve 5 Conditions in a Scene, if you for some reason have that many Conditions, but you would only get one beat. Conditions also aren't something you just choose to roleplay.
Do you have a page number for this? I was under the impression you could resolve as many conditions as you wanted per scene for beats.

The problem is that Willpower is already replenished by Virtue/Vice and their analogues. Willpower, at least from personal experience, isn't used in such a free flowing method that you'd want even more resources for it.

Defending on the rules of the current game for downtime and what not. I usually use all of mine nearly every game session. If its not fully replenished each game I usually only spend what I can get back in a game session. Virtue and vice are a bit limiting, an extra willpower source would be nice, even more so if you have a mortal using psychic powers.

POWERCHORDS - Magic, Music & Urban Fantasy

Has anyone looked at Phil Brucatos new book/has the pdf?
I have to wonder if its as shit out of the box as m20.

It's only mentioned in Awakening 2e, on page 81. None of the other games make that distinction, so I assume that you can be loaded up with Conditions and then somehow resolve as many of them as you like in a Scene in an effort to spam Beats if you're a vampire or a werewolf, although it does remain true that you can't willingly undertake Conditions whenever you want. It's also worth noting that this rule might only be present in Mage because magic can be used to inflict Conditions, although they disappear when the spell fades and you still have to meet the normal Resolution criteria to take a Beat.

Some games can get pretty Willpower intensive, but I still wouldn't want Conditions to give out Willpower points.

Interesting. It does make sense given how easy it would be to farm conditions other wise in Mage.Its already pretty easy. I guess don't really need to be getting more than a full XP per scene either.

What kind of food should you eat for a metal band game? Bar food? I hope Satyros tells me.

Can vampires explore a subterranean oil deposit? I know nothing about oil, to be honest.

I'm playing a campaign in the Dark Ages and my players are exploring/storming a Lasombra/Baali hideout in the deserts of Arabia. It's basically a bunch of ruins under the dunes.

To add a bit of spice I thought that it could be cool to have an oil deposit in the lower floors of the place. Is this even possible? Would the vampires simply die after going down there?

It's about as easy as it would be if you gained the Condition normally. If you scour the Condition or just wait out the spell, you don't get a Beat. So I suppose at the easiest you could inflict yourself with one Condition per Scene, and then scurry to resolve it before the Duration runs out. Which for a Reach would be a Scene. It honestly doesn't sound like a very fun or even effective method to me, since once a campaign picks up you shouldn't be hurting for Beats, if you're engaging with drama, pursuing your Obsessions and Aspirations, and plunging headlong into Mysteries, among other things. Plus, if you do a lot of that it would involve a lot of making your own Conditions.

It really just sounds like the kind of thing an idiot would do because he thinks he's smart and has found a way to exploit the system.

So, what are some good imbuements for my Obrimos' six-shooter in the Wild West?

Sunlight bullets.

Around the Corner shots with Space.

Velocity Control
Celestial Fire
Firebolt
Control Fire
Turn Momentum with the Reach effect to make it a Reflexive action
Control Sound
Kinetic Efficiency

Probably not all of those at once.

I believe Dave mentioned that Signs of Sorcery will include spells for enchantments like unlimited ammunition.

Now, SoS need only leave "development" purgatory and get published before the heat death of the universe.

Also, a good imbuement is Ephemeral Enchantment to kill beings in twilight and have bullet banes.

KINETIC SHIELDS

:^)

>KINETIC SHIELDS
in your gun? Wouldn't that make firing a bit hard?

>Can vampires explore a subterranean oil deposit?

If there's enough room to move around (whether in animal form or human form), then yes.

Vampires have no need to breathe air: vampires can (and some indeed do) live almost their entire lives underwater for example, as long as they've got a source of blood that can nourish them and a way to prevent the sun's rays from touching them. In the case of a vampire living in an oil deposit for example, the only thing they'd have to worry about is getting enough blood, and preventing the oil being lit on fire (which would be baaaad, which is probably why no vampire would be eager to go swimming in it).

While it's possible for regular humans to swim in crude oil, it's harder on the body, and humans eventually tire. Vampires don't, at least not in the same way: as long as they've got blood, they can keep exerting maximum physical force without ever growing tired. At least not physically tired, mentally tired is another thing entirely.

You could always add a sleeping Elder (or several) lying down in the crude oil, for example... hibernating the ages away.

That's Metal for default ability.

Isn't crude oil actually not all that flammable?

>Isn't crude oil actually not all that flammable?

There's a lot of differences between the different types of crude oil, since they aren't all the same; some can be relatively "mild", while others can be "jesus christ, did we just open a gate to Hell?". But yeah, all crude oil is still very much flammable, so long as there's oxygen nearby.

Thanks user. Basically my idea was to have the oil floor as some kind of shortcut or alternative path for those players who are brave enough. But the idea of having something very old crawling down there fits the vibe I'm looking for so I'm stealing that for sure.

I've been reading that subterranean oil is pretty much always preceded by or together with deposits of natural gas. Or at least it's the case with the saudi oil fields I've been researching this last hours. Wouldn't it be EXTREMELY dangerous to bring a torch or whatever to the petrol pit? Which makes me ask if the gas would hurt the vampires. Isn't it usually very hot? I know even less about gas that I do about oil.

Swarm of Locusts

>The mage creates chaotic conditions: rains of frogs, swarms of locusts, unscheduled total solar eclipses, and other similarly “Fortean” occurrences. This terrifying and obviously supernatural event wreaks havoc in the area, creating Environmental Tilts of the player’s choosing
>rains of frogs

Where do the frogs come from? Could I make it rain firetrucks?

>Where do the frogs come from?
Bullshit, that's where they come from.

The highest grade of Fate spells really seem to violate Fate's purview, summoning stuff which has no feasible way of occuring, in any way, shape or form.

The ways to rationalise it is:
1. Such Fate spells are retroactive history-manipulation effects, spontaneously altering the timeline so frogs could rain from the sky on a clear day in fucking Antarctica.
2. Such Fate spells are large-scale reality alteration effects, which spontaneously generate the require 'infeasible' effect, such as shifting the location of the Moon. (Given how ludicrous this concept is, this is unlikey)
3. Such Fate spells transfer the subjects into an alternate timeline/reality, where such effects are feasible.

I choose to accept none of these, and read down such Fate spells into coherence with linear temporal causality.

e.g.
In the middle of New Zealand in the winter, there is no way you could summon a swarm of locusts, move the moon sufficient to cause a solar eclipse, or various other effects.

So where can I get my hands on dark Eras 2 or the companion to Dark Eras 1? Or Tooth and Nail? Or any of the recent books?

>Isn't it usually very hot?

When lit? Yes. When not lit? No.

Suffice it to say, if there's gas, oil AND oxygen all around you, and some idiot lights a torch (or just strikes a spark in the right place)... well, game over, more or less.

And yes, bringing a torch directly to a pool of crude oil, or even anything that has even a small chance to make a decent spark and go "fwoom" is a bad idea.

So yeah, a shortcut through a big pool or whatever of oil could be a thing... but whoever goes into it would need to do so blind; a character with lvl 1 Protean could do it for example. the Gleam of Red Eyes (lvl 1) power lets the user have perfect night vision and even limited vision in areas of complete and total darkness (excluding Obtenebration-derived shadows).

The other alternative would be going into the pit of oil completely blind, maybe tying ropes around each other waists/arms or something, so that if one player goes first, he or she could pull on the rope once they get through it and try to "guide" the rest of the group through the oil that way... and hope that they don't bump into and accidentally wake a slumbering elder or something.

Raining frogs is basically a reference to freak events where animals fall from the sky because of tornadoes and other violent weather swooping them up from their habitats, allegedly. That's why the Making spell of Fate can make it rain frogs, because you're creating that freak event, as in a random Environmental Tilt.

It seems like it would be a pretty useless spell unless you kept it very contained, because you would get Paradox out the ass if a bunch of Sleepers saw it.

>So where can I get my hands on dark Eras 2 or the companion to Dark Eras 1? Or Tooth and Nail? Or any of the recent books?

Dark Eras 2 will not be released for a while.

Most of the CofD books are available from the links in the pastebin in the OP

Here's Dark Eras and Dark Eras Companion

sendspace.com/filegroup/U42OsD1eDYm1ahZyvWrTZQ

>Sunlight bullets.

Unless you're having a showdown with vampires, sunlight bullets would seem useless.

Now, lightning bullets would be far better...

>Paradox out the ass
Which is why a spell which has a little wind-up is actually better.
No Paradox, only Dissonance.

Forces 3, Fate 2 (for conditional duration) can store ludicrous amounts of energy within a projectile, with the spell ending and all that energy being released when it strikes a target.

Fireball bullets.
Explosive bullets.
Taser bullets.

>Tornado bullets
>Radiation bullets