In a high magic setting...

In a high magic setting, what benefits could their be to living in a tribal society as opposed to in a 14th century kingdom?

Other urls found in this thread:

economist.com/news/books-and-arts/21725276-living-land
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You get to live in a tribal society instead of a 14th century kingdom would be the main one.

I mean, duh.

That's pretty funny. I could actually use that.

That aside, I'm having a hard time finding something that's the "equivalent" to education that can only really be achieved in a tribal society.

You get to worship the local dragon or gryphon or whatever as your deity. So as long as you are fine with giving them the occasional wild boar, or elk, as a sacrifice then you get to have a fucking awesome creature as your tribe's protector.

Best part? You get to shit talk and laugh at rival tribes because your god totally kicked their god's ass in.

High magic settings usually have proven gods that actually give people divine powers. So I'm not really sure how that's a benefit. But that could be a cool sport that all the tribes participate in.

A bunch of people and their protector deity get in an arena and play extreme lacrosse.

>I'm having a hard time finding something that's the "equivalent" to education that can only really be achieved in a tribal society.

Herbal medicine. All modern day medicine is based off of some plant humans discovered somewhere. Take aspirin, the main ingredient in aspirin was discovered in willow bark. There is literally no difference between taking a couple pills of aspirin and drinking a cup of willowbark tea.

Nostradamus was able to effectively fight off the plague in his city by prescribing patients eat the roots of artichoke plants and drink tea made from rosehips. Artichoke roots are high in antioxidants, and rosehips are high in vitamin C. (of course, he also did a lot more than that, like cleaning the city of trash and chasing all the rats out, so no more rats = no more fleas, and no more fleas = no more plague) So your tribes people could have a very powerful Medicine Man/Woman who teaches the children not only what plants are good for them and their health, but also what rare or exotic plants to collect for trade. Such as mushrooms that are toxic to eat. But if you grind them up and mix them with amber you can create a powerful gem that can boost a Wizards power, or something like that.

Yeah, maybe flat out worshiping them as gods wouldn't be feasible. Maybe an extreme mascot/demi god?

Since there's magic involved, it could easily be that living in a tribal society allows to access certain forms of magic that wouldn't be available otherwise, it's super-cliché but gives you an actual explanation.
A version of this is from the Codex Alera series, where your classic barbarian society had everyone in a symbiotic rapport with a certain beast. When all your dudes have a pet wolf to care for, living in a city becomes tricky.

Oral history. Shamanistic training. Kindredship with nature. Native pussy

Also try saying what you want in the OP next time.

Get an add blocker, for fucks sake.

No proven god takes an interest in keeping the natives native and giving them incentive, power and protection to remain so?

Since tribes are usually in the wilderness a lot more, they could have access to more primal forms of magic never seen by other civs. They could even have a few golem protectors or elemental they created to protect the tribe, whereas the kingdom could only have guards to protect their own citizens.

Herbal medicine is a great idea. Although I've always figured that herbal remedies are only made better or at least better understood with research. The idea of using fringe herbs and flora gives them something that separates them from medicinal practices in the city. I know I already said it but this is all great stuff.

I was thinking that. Druidism and the like. I was also thinking of a sort of "physical" magic. As if training your body was a divine act in and of itself. And surpassing the limits of your body was only possible in the wild or something like that.

What would primal magic be? Would it be less bound by rules than other magic? Would it be more powerful but harder to control?

It could be part of their trading system with more civilized people for things they can't normally get out in the bush. Every now and then someone from some college or university comes along asking the tribe if they have ever encountered a certain kind of illness and what they used to combat it, and how effective it was. etc. etc. etc.

Basically, think sidequest/tutorial tier missions to find that one plant that healed that one uncle that one time.

So druid shaolin monks?

Their gods are pleased with tribal living?

Yes they are.

Yeah. That's exactly it.

Sounds awesome OP.

High fantasy means that there is bound to be nature magic and nature god.
So tribal people should, traditionally, have a mastery over the natural world and the blessings of one or more god(esses).

That's a good idea, but if OP is planning to use it in D&D 5E, it won't work because non-magical treatments for diseases don't exist.

No king demanding you pay his taxes or die in his wars.

I never understood the purpose of the Medicine skill if you aren't allowed to actually do anything with it. I just rule it so you automatically get the healer feat with proficiency in the herbalism kit and you can treat diseases.

That's all nice and good, if you have been trained to use magic. But what is the average NPC going to do if they are a dirt poor uneducated peasant? They drink a fucking cup of willow bark tea. That's what.

Your logic is as stupid as saying, "hurrr durrr food doesn't exist because magic, so you can't starve to death".

Let the NPCs in the background trade for shit, like rare and valuable plants, while your party uses healer kits.

>They drink a fucking cup of willow bark tea.
1. Show me in the rulebook where it says non-magical treatments for diseases exist.
2. The mechanical options given to player characters by default are not intended for dirt-poor uneducated peasants.

The rulebook also doesn't specify non-magical diseases such as the common cold, a sore throat, a fever, or anything like that. Only extremely debilitating diseases that would require magic are listed so how to treat normal diseases is open to interpretation.

There's some evidence that early hunter-gatherers had a higher standard of living than pre-modern agricultural societies (keeping in mind that the people enjoying the high life in medieval society were a small fraction of the overall population). It's just that hunter-gathering is less productive and doesn't support as many people, so agriculturalists pushed them out of the best land.

>Life spent hunting and gathering, while occasionally trying, was not a tale of constant toil and privation. Food could run short during droughts or annual lean periods, but reliance on a broad range of food sources typically afforded such tribes a reliable, well-balanced diet. Even around the arid Kalahari food is plentiful (at least when the tribes are not forced to share the land with farmers and ranchers)—so much so that the typical adult need work less than 20 hours per week.

>The contrast with farming societies, which dominated history after the domestication of plants and animals about 10,000 years ago, is stark. Farmed land is more productive, which allowed the more populous farmers to push hunter-gatherers off all but the most remote or inhospitable land. But farming societies depend heavily on a few staples, leaving them poorly nourished and vulnerable to crop failure. That high productivity also took endless, mind-numbing work: to prepare and tend the fields, keep up the homestead and defend the surpluses needed to feed everyone from one harvest to the next.

economist.com/news/books-and-arts/21725276-living-land

So the main problem is being able to keep hold of their territory. Magic is an obvious solution but they could also just live somewhere secret or isolated, like many of the tribes that still exist IRL.

Pathfag detected.

That's a surprising read. I always thought that farming was more reliable than hunting and gathering.

If you're trying to support a thousand people? Definitely. You can't support a lot of people with hunter/gatherer nomadism.

If you're trying to support forty people? Hahaha, I bet all that backbreaking labor sucks!

If you want something that plays with this, Terry Prachett and Stephen Baxter have a series called Long Earth where people develop the ability to basically planeswalk to adjacent earths in other dimensions, identical except without people and infinite in every direction. One of the things they explore is the possibility of returning to hunter-gather living in a modern society- by dint of having so much more wilderness suddenly within 'convenient' distance to support, say, a city.

>If you're trying to support forty people? Hahaha, I bet all that backbreaking labor sucks!
I completely forgot about how the size of a tribe is much smaller than that of a small town or village. And that comes with a whole different social environment.

>One of the things they explore is the possibility of returning to hunter-gather living in a modern society- by dint of having so much more wilderness suddenly within 'convenient' distance to support, say, a city.
Even with an abundance of resources wouldn't there be too much conflict over people trying to gather the easiest to reach resources?

This is less a useful discussion on the topic, and more you just shoehorning in an excuse to bitch about a game that nobody's forcing you to play.

The presumption is that with literally infinite earths, if you're willing to walk half a mile to [food], every step of that can be taken sidereal, or taken through planeswalking. At which pointinstead of a one-mile-diameter circle of terrain that's convenient' for you, you've got a couple hundred of them. Pretty accessible.

And yeah, that's the point.
Also to note; genetic engineering- the boring, old-fashioned kind, where we let plants or sheep we like reproduce the most- has done a lot to increase the returns on crops and domesticated animals. Three thousand years ago, the average potato was walnut-sized.
I find it really interesting all the stuff that had to be developed just to get something as on-the-face simple as a population 1,000,000 city.

>giant stone buildings in the background
>tribe

hmmmm

There should be power-gaining methods through ancestral worship/sacrifice or both to receive their strength/wisdom/etc. Ancestors should be alot more willing to give you some rad skills/powers/enhancements than some foreign blood god.

Probably lower power, but much more consistent in responding and aiding.