We post elements or ideas from a setting that are there simply because they are cool...

We post elements or ideas from a setting that are there simply because they are cool, and Veeky Forums thinks of an an at-least semi probable justification.

Pic related for example
> Normal bayonets don't work on the thick rocky skin of the locust, better put a fuckin chainsaw on the gun instead

Other urls found in this thread:

mutantpedia.com/eng/Warzone.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Gears has a lot of really cool elements that make is a surprisingly fun series to brainstorm ideas for. I would love to play an Xcom type game set in the Gears universe.

The Krill are super cool, endless hordes of murderbats that kill anything that enters the dark but retreat into the earth during the day. The idea that the locust can open up holes in the earth to pour out of, and that they dig these holes with giant terrifying beasts they also attack people with is rad as fuck. Just look at a fucking Corpser and tell me that shit isn't rad.

I just remember the Lancer being OP in missions where you get swarmed by melee dudes because you can't be hit the entire time the murder animation, it's an auto-hit if you're revving it and facing the right direction, and it's an insta-kill. Really made missions with the short jumpy guys a peach, and the level with the test tubes in GoWII went from tense to mundane.

>Normal bayonets don't work on the thick rocky skin of the locust, better put a fuckin chainsaw on the gun instead

fun fact, that is the in-setting reason for them.
because regular bayonets would need to be long and very narrow spikes(cruciforms IIRC) to pierce the locust well and they kept snapping from the forces being put on them.

gears is basically white people anime, almost anything from it counts gloriously

my vote: equipment durability in vidya taken to the logical conclusion, ie, the mc has a katana on one hip, an uzi on the other, a longbow and manpad crossed over his back and a k-bar stuffed in a boot. though that kinda explains itself.

>gears is basically white people anime
oh, how so?
is it worth watching a play-through?

I always wondered how many people cut of their own hands with that damned thing

by making DAMN SURE your hand is inside the bayonet before activating it, or perhaps by putting the switches to turn it on in places you cant reach without holding it correctly.

I mean, aren't there several characters with robotic arms in Gears?

"what do teenaged boys from this culture think is awesome, and how can we take that to 11". it's got that really hard to nail combo of being internally serious but high-powered and melodramatic enough to come with a wink.
not sure how it holds up watched a decade later, but played in the '00s there was something really special about opening a fight with explosive crossbow bolts before closing while hosing the enemy down with an AR and finally wiping them out with the chainsaw bayonet and probably the best shotgun since Doom II/best pistol since Halo.

all, of course, with standard "you killed my buddy, but then he came back, and then you bastards killed him again" repeated with waifu. and the force-of-nature black Rock Lee.

>A city that lies past the edge of the world at the end of time

Dark Souls lore is just a random pile of Berserk references and shit Miyazaki thought was cool, but the Ringed City was still a pretty cool idea

I do not recall a single one of them having robot parts. Maybe in the books.
But outside of Jack floating around in active camo cloak and being repair machine and cutting tool there isn't much robotic stuff.

On a side note gears seems to have a entire social commentary regarding the use of fossil fuel and how that will affect us and the environment.
Hell one of the reason of the Locust invasion is due to humans digging for Imulsion that is basically a super fuel-sentient-mutagenic-parasite.

The reallity is developers just liked the idea of the mutant fuel

If you're going to put a fucking chainsaw on a gun, then do it properly The Brotherhood has you covered.

>it looks like the apex predator in the environment to other creatures so they leave the vessel alone

What's that from?

Warzone and Warzone Resurrection.
That's a Brotherhood Inquisitor.
How I miss the days when 40K wasn't the be all, end all, of gaming. Do yourself a favour and look into Warzone. Start with the first edition rulebook for feel and lore then continue reading.
mutantpedia.com/eng/Warzone.html

There's a free to play tcg coming out next year that's on kickstarter at the minute too called DOOMTROOPER which is remaking the old and awesome tcg for a digital age. Check it out. The entire Mutant Chronicles universe is fucking hardcore.

>Cole Train
>Fore-of-nature black Rock Lee
Holy fuck how have I never compared those two? I'd call Cole more of a black Might Guy though.

>Anyone other than me knowing about Mutant Chronicles
Where have you been all this time user? My dad used to play the card game and I really loved it.

You have to get vored to enter the vehicle?

Mutant Chronicles had some cool shit

>My dad
Pls don't make me feel old.

LOTS of cool shit.

That's a fair assessment, it's been a long time and I probably centered too much on him being the obvious token minority.