How do you guys feel about genocide...

How do you guys feel about genocide? I just took over a village and had my knights kill a little over a thousand of the locals (to be replaced with my own people eventually) and despite being mechanically tedious, it was surprisingly fun.

FUCK, OFF.

Just to be clear, this was something that happened in a game, not real life. Actually supporting genocide would be morally suspect.

Me personally? There is no plausible scenario in which exterminating the entirety of a population group is ethically justifiable even during a time of war. In terms of games, it depends on what character I'm playing.

RPGs have you kill massive amounts of people in order to be the hero. I don't know at what point in your quest to murder all the bad guys (sometimes also a different race, like orc) it goes from heroism into genocide. If the orcs are an inherently evil race, does that include their babies? It's interesting to think that the idea of certain sentient creatures being inherently evil makes the baby killer a hero, but in a universe of very obvious and inherent traits it could be totally justified.

And I suppose the question also comes down to how willing you are to set aside modern morals while playing what is usually medieval fantasy. Your example of killing towns of people and replacing them with your own people was a very real thing for most of human history, and I'm sure they were able to rationalise it and justify it using the moral standards of their cultures. I'm sure players could justify it the same way if they wanted to.

Completely normal and should be incentivated if you're running a medieval or ancient setting

>RPGs have you kill massive amounts of people

Depends on system

Source?

>despite being mechanically tedious, it was surprisingly fun.
OP, I think you might be the baddie.

I mean, you can always be the hero by just killing people who have personally actively chosen to spend their lives doing evil stuff, like demon cultists, knockoff Nazis, bandits, and so on.

For what?

Who decided what is evil? You?
What if I'm a from jew-like tribe where stealing is considered a virtue? Am I still evil?

>no plausible scenario

Everyone in that race will become a world threat monster if they are not killed in 10 years. Theres probably tons more examples as well, its fiction after all. Same goes for monster races who prey on humanoids but are sentient themselves, anything like that.

>are jews deserving of genocide
Nice try, but you won't derail this into /pol/ that easily.

Morality is a spook.

>It's interesting to think that the idea of certain sentient creatures being inherently evil makes the baby killer a hero
>Muh races are split into nine assfucked categories of morality

That's not a plausible scenario user

Genocide is usually along ethnic lines, not ideological ones, though you're not technically wrong

>Genocide is usually along ethnic lines, not ideological ones, though you're not technically wrong
I'm saying that fighting evil doesn't have to be ambiguously genocidal if you don't want it to be.

>despite being mechanically tedious, it was surprisingly fun.

Do you honestly think you're being funny or something? You're an edgy tryhard, go away.

By doing that you'll miss a lot of evil people, though.

>Genocide is usually along ethnic lines, not ideological ones,
>What is the Japanese slaughter of the Nihon Buddhists and Christians

If they're not doing evil stuff, should I give a fuck?

What if they are but don't tell you?

Why didn't you enslave them instead?

Not worth feeding them. The only thing I really wanted from their territory was a gold mine, and I want that to be managed by people I trust.

You investigate the crimes and prosecute and/or slaughter the offenders? This is basic stuff.

And while you do that, other evil people are doing other evil things.

So you always wait until after they've done it? You don't think it's better to have them not successfully do something evil?

How do you know a person's going to do something evil if they haven't done anything evil in the past? Preventative measures are important, sure, but I think preemptively killing people is a less ethical way to do it than, y'know, complex social approaches like education and improving quality of life that are a bit outside the typical purview of adventurers. I dunno though, I'll accept the possibility I'm wrong and a fag.

You don't know, you make an informed guess.

>Be me
>Be black guard working for a local king
>Be bringing him a wise-woman
>King asks about his future
>Wise woman knowing that she's about to die, spews some bulllshit about a prophetic hero
>king loses his shit
>Tell him she is probably just lying since I'm not stupid - he doesn't listen
>Proceed to raze every village in a 100 mile radius that won't kill any baby born on the harvest

>....one game later
>Play as a group of adventurers all burn in the harvest, going to kill the king who ordered the razing of said villages

NEVER TRUST AN ANGRY FORTUNE TELLER

I'm not a huge fan. Unless it's one of those settings where a race can be objectively evil or some shit, it's never worth it. Besides the obvious ethical fuckery, people are worth so much more alive than dead!

...why not just bring in some workers to the mine and use taxes in the form of food or whatever from the village to supply those workers? And also regular taxes, I guess.

What if you want their land?

Oh, well, that's absolutely fine then.

Yes there is.

Have you ever played a game where a tumblrite plays an Elf? Or payed a game with a Drizzt fanboy? Or even been around a Legolas clone?

Sit through a couple of sessions with one you'll quickly see that there is a solution to the Elvish question.

>payed a game with a Drizzt fanboy
I never payed a game, but I have payed a Drizzt fanboy to cross my Twinkle with his Icingdeath.

>RPGs have you kill massive amounts of people in order to be the hero. I don't know at what point in your quest to murder all the bad guys (sometimes also a different race, like orc) it goes from heroism into genocide. If the orcs are an inherently evil race, does that include their babies? It's interesting to think that the idea of certain sentient creatures being inherently evil makes the baby killer a hero, but in a universe of very obvious and inherent traits it could be totally justified.

The idea of a race of sapient beings who are always evil by nature has perhaps been getting less popular lately but not long ago it was pretty much a fantasy staple. That makes me think, did the writers really intend this idea to be taken to its logical conclusion? By this I mean mass and systematic genocide of the 'bad' races by the good guys, women and children included. I have the feeling that they were mostly written as convenient practice dummies for heroes and that situations such as 'gnoll puppies wat do?' were not really meant to happen.

Depending on your setting, this might not be as practical as you think. Land doesn't mean shit without labor until the industrial revolution. And population is harder to come by (and keep where you want them, for that matter) than you think. Again assuming a premodern western baseline.

Communism.

no u