What would be the best way to tackle the differences between bolt action, semi and full auto fire rate in an rpg system...

What would be the best way to tackle the differences between bolt action, semi and full auto fire rate in an rpg system? I tried to play with the amount of fireble rounds, but it does not seem to be a working solution. Any suggestion?
Pic sorta related

Make a penalty for precision in full auto.

The Warhammer 40k RPGs do an okay-ish job.
S/2/4 with each attack having to be resolved by the target number before you roll damage. Bonus to hit with FA at short range, more accurate fire rewarded at long range. Different damage types for different ammo.

IRL the biggest thing about shooting is that you are the least accurate component. If you bench rest a gun, set it up in front of a target at 100 feet, and pull the trigger with it in a vice grip, it'll hit every time assuming something isn't wrong. Now you put that sucker against your shoulder, you've gotta keep it steady, keep yourself in a proper stance, work against the recoil, get a clean sight picture, it's a pain in the fucking ass.
More so the quicker you fire.

Kek.
Off to a great start.

Depends on wich systems. And also if you wanna go gun's balzing or something realistic.

You could equilibrate with number of bullet shot and damage. Something among the line of "Ana assault rifle as much more damage potential with the burst the target gets in the chest if more bullet touch him, but the revolver gets more damage on the shot and is safer damage."

Maybe?
What system do you play in?

Just use GURPS.

I think ops and tactics make the actions cost to fire them higher vs the semi-auto and Fa firearms in turn bolt action weapons tend to have better range and SS damage ( round type) then the others

Im bulding my own system. But im open to any suggestion.

In GURPS lite i did not find any mechanics for weapons, only for meele weapons. Which addendum should i use?

This just try playing DnD

Head for the basic set, Characters weapons and equipment. Read up on rate of fire and recoil. Also basic set Campaigns for the table for "high rate of fire bonus to hit"

Tried to look for a generic system, but none of them supports my future plan with the game itself. :/

The Basic Set has the full rules for guns.
Bolt-action has a maximum RoF of 1, semi-auto a maximum RoF of 3 and for full auto, it depends on the gun but typically it's between 10 and 15. And that's rate of fire per second.
Shooting more rounds per turn gives you a bonus to hit depending on how many you shot (starting at +1 at 4 bullets, then +2 at 9 I think, and then more), and then to know how many of the extra bullets hit, you need to divide your margin of success by your gun's recoil stat, basically.

There's no "real" downside to shooting more per round, just that you'll eventually have to reload sooner than people who shoot less. For most weapons with a magazine, it takes 3 seconds or to reload.

>AK variants up the wazoo.
>Suddenly AWM at the bottom.
Hmmm.

I was just as suprised as you.

Not even the RPG-22?

this guy says the truth
Open D6 does a decent job of simulating damage without pages of rules.
And if you need bearable military autism, Albedo has excellent rules for suppression, following fire and morale.

Any time I think about running gurps, I remember that one round is one second and want to kill myself. That's such a fucking slog, dude.

Why, what would be the optional?

Call of Cthulhu or Delta Green.

There's no optional, one turn = one second is one of the core things of GURPS you can't change.

But then I never had user's problem so I never really looked too hard for alternatives.

Not changing the gurps core but why makes the 1 segment 1 sec want to kill yourself?

Still Russian tho.
AWM's UK.

>But then I never had user's problem
I don't have a problem with 1 second = 1 turn, m8. I enjoy it.

A close quarters gunfight can end in under three seconds. Two of them used on readying weapons and aiming, without any rolls.

Make it like classic traveller

Single shot - one chance to hit
Burst (three round) - two chances to hit
Long burst (10 round) - three chances to hit
Each chance to hit means a chance for damage, so potentially a long burst gives three damage rolls.
You can spread this around to adjacent targets, losing one chance for each target.

Just DON"T to what most games do - do NOT add damage from one chance to hit with another, hitting with both chances in a burst does not double damage, it gives the damage twice, so if you're using a damage reduction system, each damage roll is effected by the damage reduction.

It's simple, it's quick, it's relatively "realistic" within the confines of a simple system.

Heres what I think about the relevant Firearm mechanics I've seen yet.

>Shadowrun 5e
Amount of rounds fired is the same for all weapons that can use the same firing mode.
Single shot is what it says on the tin, half action. Burst fire, also half action, comes in 3 and 5 rounds and inflicts a dodge penalty, larger the more rounds are fired(-2 and -4 iirc).
Full Auto takes a full action, 10 rounds and is damn hard to evade (-6 or so). But all firing modes deal the same damage on a hit of equal success. You trade ammo and/or actions for likelyness of a hit. And running out of ammo in SR is a death sentence, so choose wisely.
Surpressive Fire eats 20 Rounds jut imposes heavy penalties to everything the targets do when employed by a competent gunman (minus 1 die per success). Trying to evade it goes off Edge (the luck-stat) to represent the bullethail. There is no skill or reflex involved with that amount of lead in the air.

Also every single bullet creates a recoil penalty on your next shot without other actions inbetween. So you also have to consider accuracy in the long term vs killing something RIGHT NOW.

With large spread of virtual tabletop it should be viable now to design a game with large amount of automated calculations in mind desu. Calculate each subsequent shot with increasing recoil penalty, roll damage and locations all in in one simple macro. Also simulationist system a shit and you should feel bad for wanting to add one more into the garbage pile.

>SR 5e Verdict
Rather Complex, as is all of SR, but focuses on simulating a tense gunfight where every bullet counts, while making full Auto not so deadly that it could fully eradicate a healthy character, as getting hit is bad enough already with all the shit like knockdown, wound penalties etc it brings.

>Older FFG 40k (Dark Heresy 1e, Deathwatch, Rouge Trader)
D100 roll under game.
Weapons have profiles that look like S/2/4 (or S/-/5, S/2/-, -/-/10 etc.). S denotes single shot capability. The first number is bullets on semi-auto/burst fire, is done at +10 to hit. Every full 20 you roll below the TN grants an extra hit up to the max amounts of shots fired. Each shot applies a separate instance of damage. Those two modes are both half actions
Full Auto is at +20 to hit and gives an extra hit for every 10 you roll under TN until you hit shots fired. Full Action though. Recoil is a non-issue and ammo capacity is often more forgiving than other games.
Basicly, if you can full auto, there is no reason not do dakka away. Semi auto if you need to do another half action, full auto otherwise. It is beter in every way unless ammo is really, really low. Also doing 5 or six damage rolls slows the game down, even more since those shots might hit different hit locations with different armor values.
Supression is harder (-20) full auto that forces a willpowr check from the target and on a failure makes them lose actions.
Full auto can easily one-turn-kill characters and enemies alike.

>Newer FFG 40k (Black Crusade, Only War, Dark Heresy 2e)
Basicly the same, but all shot modes are now half actions.
S now hits at +10, semi at +-0 and full at -10 to simulate recoil and emphasise the choice of accuracy vs total damage potential. Otherwise unchanged.

Full auto gives +1 at short range and -1 at long range
Semi auto gives no bonus
Bolt action gives +1 at long range and -1 at short range

I remember Dead lands had some decent gun rules. Not necessarily for full auto though.

>Auto
Extra Penalty to accuracy, penalty to reliability
>Semi auto
Penalty to accuracy, Penalty to reliability
>Bolt action
2 actions per shot

Penalties should increase in probability with increased damage output/caliber. So your M4 firing .223 is fairly reliable but your SCARL has a 10% chance to jam in full auto.

My rational for the semi auto having a penalty is that my understanding is that the barrel and the rail of most gas operated weapons are separate pieces and not built with the same tolerances as a bolt action, meaning that the return to zero isn't as accurate on gas operated weapons.

Though I'm pretty new to guns so I might be just talking out of my ass

Jamming is going to depend on the gun not the calibre.

True, but that part was partially a balancing consideration, to make it so lower calibers didn't become completely useless later.

Unless you have bullet sponge enemies lower calibres have their place, weight and recoil among them.