EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Let it die" Edition

Previous: >Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread question: How much do you value recursion, /edhg/?

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/ten-commanders-2013-10-30
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have a Marath deck and I was thinking of rebuilding it as Trostani and make it about big stompy token creatures instead. I always found Marath pretty boring and I have most cards for Trostani already. Thoughts?

I run a lot of Regrowth effects. My Mardu deck keeps pissing me off because I can’t get back Austere Command or Akroma’s Vengeance. I’m half considering Anarchist.

Who /Izzet/ here? Fuck the Golgari

I have a Jori En deck. That count?

>How much do you value recursion, /edhg/?
3 of my decks are pretty much based around it, and the others have enough of it to get by.

Competitiveness ratings are compared to my table. Not the format in general.

>log onto mtgo
>try to join a game
>blocked
>try to join another game
>buddies only
serious question why are you guys such posers?

>Thoughts?
a decent mana base, mana rocks, good creatures, not shitty "create a token" cards. don't forget to add every decent white board removal card and good spot removal, that's just to start

>playing modo
Fuck off retard

Can someone do a virgin Niv Mizzet versus the chad Jarad Lich Lord?

that's the difference between you and me. i don't play mtg to make friends.
>Fuck off retard
go play in the street faggot

>Thread question: How much do you value recursion, /edhg/?
if i'm playing colors with recursion usually there is recursion

for real tho i only ever draft on mtgo

Shut your whore mouth, Golgari is the best, Izzet a shit. A SHIT I TELL YOU. What are you, a 15 year old or something?

I had a similar line of thought. I have more fun with Trostani making various big-ass tokens (Rhinos, Elementals, Wurms, what have you) than making a bunch of various 1/1s.

Most people here have friends already whom they then play EDH with. You're probably out of luck there as well though.

So edh, What Decks types am I missing to be well rounded?
>Currently built: Alesha, Breya, Mairsil, Ghave, and (mono green) Ezuri.
>have a large collection pieces for, but not actively finishing: Gisa+Geralf/Scarab God, Zada, Innalla Ezuri Claw of Progress.

Well you have a little-dudes value aggro deck in Alesha, a "HURR HURR COMBO" in Breya, Mairsil can vary from 'ridiculous, fragile, hilarious combo' to 'look at this dumb fun shit', Ghave is "oops I combo'd out", and mono-Ezuri is just elf smash. 3/5 are white, 2/5 are blue, 4/5 are black, 3/5 are red, and 2/5 are green.

If you're talking about balancing colors better, you'd want to build something G/U, or G/x U/x that isn't black, but G/U tends to just be combos and boring goodstuff, and you have enough combos and goodstuff.

I'd say build some big dumbass battlecruiser creature Magic, because you seem to have a lot of combo and little dudes going on there.

I think you mean virgin jarad vs chad niv-mizzet desu

Izzet here. golgari a shit.

Yeah I think the theme of most of my decks is that I like having a sort of “toolbox” of stuff on attached to my commander (which usually comes out as actives and recursion). The exception being Ezuri, who is really just the precon with a few cards swapped out.

Maybe some sort of Grull/Naya beatdown?

>not posting the Izzet vs Golgari version
Step it up son

Golgari here, Fuck Izzet.

Could be fun. There's nothing wrong with the toolboxy decks, but a more linear "Play dudes. Sideways them" would be the biggest departure from what you have that wouldn't be oppressive to the table.

Maybe do Mayael Hueg Dueds?

Izzet here, fuck you

Rakdos here, fuck everyone

Would Sidar/Tymna "

>Partners
>Hated out
Only one of the combinations is 'competitive', and it's mostly just for the colors and because one of the two of them is an infinite mana sink. Sidar/Tynma doesn't sound like something that'd get hated off the table from the get-go.

Is there any better feeling than playing Yidris and casting a cascade spell with Yidris cascade and hitting another cascade card?

>Yidris

Playing mono color is a better feeling

That seems cool, I was actually looking at Marath a while back, is the precon still worth it?

The Marath precon is garbage. The majority of cards in it are worth less than 50 cents. You'd pretty much be paying for a bunch of useless chaff and an Avenger of Zendikar.

>finally caved and bought crucible of worlds for gitrog monster
This better be worth it

gruul here, i concur

why didnt you get the naga that does the same shit?

Why wound someone who wants one not want both?

Already had the naga but its much more vulnerable to removal than crucible. I'm just hoping this wasn't money wasted

>Thread Question
Recursion is great, but I don't think I can ever really focus an entire deck around the effect. That shit gets obnoxious after a while.

My friend got the masterpiece for his Gitrog. It won’t be wasted money unless you grow to hate the deck.

I'd avoid Marath, largely because she lends herself too well to combo and "make lots of small mans". Mayael pretty much demands that you play mono-big.

What this guy said. Crucible is just fucking bonkers for Gitrog, and it's honestly a great card for any non-mono EDH because fetchlands exist. I guarantee you'll get your value out of it.

Also, this is objectively the best version.

>stag with huge fucking antlers
>she

This should have been obvious even without spelling it out, but I'll go ahead in case you're still doubtful.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/ten-commanders-2013-10-30
>Marath is an elusive, powerful beast who roams the untamed regions of his shaman-ruled world.

Ah, sorry. It's a running joke in my area that Marath is female, because the only guy with a Marath deck exclusively uses female Commanders (not on purpose, it just happened that way) and gives them all nicknames (Kaalia = Kelly, Marath = Martha, etc)

i wonder how many people run ways of giving marath deathtouch to destroy target creature...

My Kraj deck is durdly enough that it usually will be blown out by a sweep before it reaches a really lethal critical mass. Relying entirely on strong draw to get back on my feet was inconsistent, so I had to hunt down some cards that still had the +1/+1 counter theme AND do stuff with the graveyard. Den Protector and Verdant Confluence do a lot of work for me, and because it's so strongly creature focused(~48 creatures) creeping renaissance is obscene value.

I can only think of about 5 or 6 ways to give Deathtouch in those colors, and only a couple of them are worth a slot

One of them has so many fungal bitches he can shoot them at his enemies, the other was too busy not getting laid to prevent the near extinction of his species.

Virgin Niv, Chad Jarad.

Probably just Basilisk Collar.

is it possible to get a list for that selvala?

>Prevent
Niv Mizzed *caused* the near extinction of his species so he'd be the only Dragon Cock in town.

>E
>4 reanimator control decks

tfw play selvala, first deck
tfw big timmy player and only fill up the board, gain huge hands, tons of mana, FUN
i dont win though

>When your cock is so small you have to kill off the rest of the species in order to not look like a scrub with the ladies
Being Niv is suffering.

>implying jarad even has a cock anymore that isint some decayed lump like the rest of him

How's gitrog? I just got a foil one recently from a pack. I'm finishing my pirate and dino decks and haven't looked at the next deck.

I like it, but it's got the Nekusar problem that the "correct" way to build it is going to look really similar to everyone else's, since you're building around that ability.

Ah I'll probably make one to have a land based deck then.

Unlike Nekusar, though, each game can play differently, and the personal touches you give it WILL matter. You don't have to go 100% infinite dredge combo; I have a lot of fun with Gitrog Stax/turbofog even if it has a lot of overlap with cEDH Gitrog Combo.

Oh, sure- I didn't mean to imply every deck is going to be within 10 cards of variance the way Nekusar tends to be. Just that basically any way you build Gitrog, it's gonna be... well, built around that ability, and there's only so many ways you can vary that.

You can absolutely tone it down and not go full apeshit combo, but at the end of the day the deck is going to be built around lands and the playing and sacrificing thereof, or there's no reason to use Gitrog as your Commander.

I can't decide between Naya or Temur colors for a deck. The idea is to play big creatures, with Thromok being the surprise win con by playing him out of nowhere and smashing face and killing via Fling and Warstorm Surge. RG on its own has enough support for this, so the third color is basically gravy. Now, I'd play Mayael if I went Naya, and her ability is super useful for this. I can bust out big things at instant speed. Temur has Surrak and Maelstrom Wanderer who on their own are powerful and give Thromok haste and trample. I also get access to all of Simic's mana nonsense. I do miss out on neat cards I enjoy like Tamanoa, Mayael's Aria, and Wheel of Sun and Moon.

Someone please help me. Is Naya or Temur a better shell for surprise devour x hellion to the face? If Temur, which commander would you recommend?

got any stats on that horde of notions deck?

I'd advise Naya, just because going RUG is going to put you in UGx, which is eventually going to take over what you 'want' the deck to do and replace it with goodstuff and 2 card combos.

>one
>tana/tymna
>tymna/thrasios
>vial smasher/thrasios

I consider "and Thrasios" to be one deck, because Tymna or Vial Smasher are there mostly just to provide other colors for Thrasios' gameplan of "play lots of random 2 card combos, and also Thrasios is an infinite mana dump."

I'd not heard of any Tana/Tynma deck being strong enough to note.

I like the sounds of that for gitrog I'll take a look into it. Thanks guys

i'd RUG, with surrak dragonclaw. uncounterable thromak plus trample anthem? why the fuck not?

Tana/Tymna has helped change the meta of cEDH to be more creature focussed. It basically plays all the hatebears, blood moon package and kiki-pod as a backup wincon.

Ah. So, does Tymna's black really add much? It seems like you could build "Hatebears with Blood Moon package and Kiki-Pod" in Naya without needing to do the partners, and I've never been terribly impressed with Tymna or Tana as cards on their own merits.

Also, that sounds like an interesting shake-up for cEDH, but it also sounds very meta-focused. I don't think it would necessarily be that terrifying if you sat it down at a random 4 person pod the way "I can kill you on turn 3 if you can't stop me" glass cannon combo decks can be. Not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's not necessarily "kill on sight".

I play it partly for that reason. It hates on cEDH decks more than regular ones. Black is handy as you can run Contamination, the best reanimation spells and tutors.

Basically both commanders help breaking parity on bodies and card draw, so it quickly floods the board with hatebears. Having a card advantage engine in the command zone helps it recover from wipes too.

Just play Gruul with Thromok, having secret commanders is fucking stupid.

I really don't consider Tymna much of an 'engine' since she requires you to be connecting against multiple opponents. I'm sure it's because I've only considered it in theory and never sat down with one at the table, but generally I've just never been impressed with any of the Partners as single cards on paper.

I actually like the idea of the deck being inherently meaner to competitive decks than chiller ones without having to intentionally pull punches, though. That's really neat.

Thromok wouldn't be the "Secret commander", just his preferred way of winning. I'd agree with you if he was wanting to pick a different R/G 'decoy Commander' and build the entire deck around Thromok, but I can 100% see building a Naya/Temur Big Dudes Deck that has "Cast giant-ass Thromok with Warstorm Surge and Fling" as a win-con without calling it a 'secret commander'

I have really bad anxiety. I used to be pretty outgoing but recent circumstances have left me a gibbering mess in a human wrapper.

I have an EDH night on Sunday, what can I build that will make me friends? Because of 'tism I run insanely efficent stax and elaborate commander related oneshot decks. I'm talking GAAIV, Ghave, and Uril type bullshit. I want to build Grimgrin reanimator, but I know it'll turn into a hatefuck Mill machine no one but me will enjoy.

What do people like playing against? Is it even possible to try and win while everyone has fun without building some group hug bullshit?

Kalemne.
No one will see your win coming. Not even you.

Generally people like playing against interactive decks. It's okay to try to win, as long as people can actually INTERACT with you and the decks you build, rather than getting 'locked out' of the game via Stax, or situations of "I didn't have a counterspell at this one specific point so the game is immediately and entirely over".

I'd say build Grimgrin Zambonis and Reanimation and just force yourself to not let it devolve into bullshit.

Nothing, people hate you for wining anyway, so destroy them utterly and completly with whatever your stupid autism want

>Generally people like playing against interactive decks. It's okay to try to win, as long as people can actually INTERACT
Oloro and any good esper Goodstuff deck is thisn and people still hate it.

Kalemne will be way too strong. That's the exact type of deck I usually build, it'll just turn into an indestructible mld tribal with a double strike wincon in the command zone.

No one wants my $780 Ghave deck to combo off t4 every single game.

Alright, anything I should avoid that my tism wouldn't realize? I'm literally calling the deck Grimgrin: Zamboni driver.

Most Oloro decks I've seen get hated because they just durdle into an "I win" combo, or people hate it on principle because Oloro just sits in the Command Zone all game pissing on the rules.

Just... be cognizant. I think you're over-worrying. You know you don't want to sperg out and make the deck cutthroat, so any time you want to add changes, just keep in mind that you're trying to cap the powerlevel. My guess is your other decks got super cutthroat before you started caring that they were that way.

Additionally, Boros is in a unique position among the guilds in that no one can ever bitch at you for having lost.

>RW will be way too strong

>game pissing on the rules.
lol what shit of excuse is this? if it's written on the card, is valid rulewise.
Also fuck casualfags who just want big creatures. if you don't like losing to combo don't play any mtg

>Kalemne will be way too strong.

Literally impossible.

So my group is overrun with G/X decks and I want to knock them down a few pegs. How much of a dick would I be to try to build an green hate deck just to combat this stuff? Thinking of running llawan with shit like glamerdye naming green, lots of permission effects and shit like Hibernation, tidal control and maybe Acid rain if I can find one.

Sorry, it was poor wording.

People get frustrated with Oloro and Derevi and the Eminence things because it's weird for them to almost be more valuable never getting cast.

>Kalemne will be way too strong.
She's my favorite deck and reading this warms my heart, but it's simply not true. Even in her most optomized MLD iteration. The other colors can pull ahead, not to mention that winning with MLD, while a completely valid strat, gets a little boring after the third time you do it.

>if you don't like losing to combo don't play any mtg
If you want to just play combo, just play yugioh, it's combo: the game.

I don't mind losing to combos, I mind when someone resolves one spell and the game is immediately over. 2 card combos are boring, and I don't like "Do you have a counterspell in your hand and UU open right now? No? I win."

Oh, you must love Inalla and her one-card infinite.

I very much do not. At least other two-card-combos-but-one-of-them-is-my-commander have to actually cast their Commander first.

add also timmy as fuck to your description too pls

You sound like the sort of person I find irritating anyhow, so the "overthinking about underplaying" would just make it worse and I'd be no more angry at you for just being the archenemy.

That said, just playing aggro as others have suggested also works. Break the shit out of it, it still won't break a multiplayer table.

Alright guys, honestly, do I take the MLD out of my Neheb deck? On one hand, it keeps other people from running wild. But on the other hand, it keeps me from running wild as well because then I basically just have to rely on my combat step to get all the damage for Neheb's mana making, instead of stuff like Price of Progress, Slagstorm, Sizzle etc.

The way I see it is I have two options, I either add MORE MLD, then add a lot more hasty smaller creatures that can get in easily so that once I do wipe lands I can just use them to get the mana I need, or I take out all the MLD and add more board burn stuff.

My playgroup is fine with MLD, just to clarify. I'm just sick of playing it and then staring at flame rift in my hand like "Fuck, I wish I could play this right now.."

You should only play MLD if:

1) You are in a commanding board position, and therefore don't need to care about furthering it

2) It won't hinder you much (for example, because you have a ton of mana rocks)

3) You can rebuild from it notably faster than your opponents

If your issue is that MLD is dicking you over as often as them, I'd advise putting in more mana rocks.

It doesn't hinder me much, that's why I run it. It certainly hurts others WAY more than me, because then I just swing with my creatures and then I'll have 8 mana in my second main phase because of Neheb's ability. It's just a matter of not being able to play stuff like Price of Progress in my FIRST main phase to generate tons of mana for my second main phase that annoys me.

That seems minor. Don't sweat it.

I'm so fucking evnvoius that you guys can go to your LGS and have some EDH fun while no one here likes it and everyone just plays standard. F U C K

Is playing MLD + Avacyn or MLD + Faith's Reward a dick move?

I'm lucky my area has multiple LGS. I feel you though some of them are filled with standard babbies that just ruins the shop.

>Ghave
There is no hope for you. Every Ghave payer I've ever met has been an irredeemable autist of the highest caliber.