/5eg/ - Fifth Edition Genera

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Trove:
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
Flanking rules. Yes or no?

I need a name for organization of merchants that rule a city state - both for the whole organization, and for what an individual member is called.
"Merchant prince" is just too bland

Rip off Hansa as hard as you can

No

The Triumvirate, each member is simply called the Head.

No

The Corporation
Trade Baron

>Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition: Book of Gods
>has extended lore for the forgotten realms and greyhawk gods, demon and devil lords, and demigods
>includes stat blocks for them all
Would you buy this?

Fuck off no one cares

No because
>Stat blocks
If you stat it, your players will figure out a way to kill it.

The merchant’s guild?

No. Any god that is significant to my setting is created or fluffed by me.

Don't give statblocks. Give stats for followers and boons they give out.

I only recently got a +1 weapon at like level 11 or 12... ugh.

Is it meta gaming to create a character that is suited for the planned adventure?
For instance making a deep stalker ranger for the underdark or a monster slayer/undead hunter for Curse of Strahd.

A little deicide might spice things up a bit

Sort of but eh as a DM I normally don't care, makes it easier to work in why you're there.

>my DM throws a +1 warhammer that can cast grasping vine 2/day at me in the second encounter of the campaign

I prefer to make it more than just "oh we hit it x amount then it's dead". Players can kill gods if they decide to, but it's not going to just be a normal combat.

How should I go about homebrewing a ghostwalker monk in 5e?

>teleportan
>being creepy & unafraid
>feigning death
>being ethereal

I concur with . Like the latest UA but for "normal" religious organizations.

Don't fret too much. Enhancement bonuses on weapons and armor only matter if your DM can't balance encounter. I'd worry more about what interesting miscellaneous items you get.

The Grasping Vine is the interesting part here, in my opinion.

So a Shadow Monk

Flanking rules are a no at my table. It's on the powerful side and cheapens advantage while making abilities that grant it feel weaker. It's just overall worse for the game and doesn't add enough in terms of tactical choice in combat to warrant it

Retrieving an artifact particular to the deity that can make it “mortal” temporarily could make for an interesting plot and encounters since this god would want its followers to stop the PCs.
It can be capped off with combat against the weakened god. Even then maybe the god isn’t completely slain but has been scattered into essence and won’t be able to effect much on the mortal realm for quite a while.

Any plot-related element should be like that, really. Lord of the Rings had it right.

Refluff Shadow Monk? Maybe replace Pass Without Trace with Phantasmal Force or Crown of Madness.

Yes but only if it had more that just God stat blocks. More demons, angels, and stat blocks for cultists, cult leaders, and cult prophets with really cool legendary actions for their lairs. Some neat magical artifacts thrown in for flavor and maybe some divine or demonic flavored character options, though it seems like we already have plenty of the former and the latter is mostly Warlock territory.

Why is the most recent UA not in the OP?

He has a merchant goblin that sells us stuff at a way marked-up price, so it's either unfeasible or not at all worth buying. I personally have an Animated Shield (great for halberd/greatsword while maintaining 20 AC, that was treasure we got), a Decanter of Endless Water because I think it's hilarious, a Ring of Free Movement (also treasure), my main weapon is a halberd Weapon of Warning, +1, though we have only used the Warning enchantment maybe a half dozen times.

Right now the DM is trying to push his Myst fetish onto the campaign, so we've found a bunch of linking books and are learning how to make our own, obviously hopefully with source books as well. It's a neat concept for fixing our city-wide hostage situation but still kind of an annoying distraction from just getting to the bottom of the dungeon and focusing on evacuation/deicide to end the campaign.

Technically, yeah, it is meta-gaming, but it's not something I'd personally give a shit about as a GM. And at the same time, most pre-gens for adventures in other systems, in my experience, tend to lean towards being particularly suited for the adventure (both narratively and mechanically), so if players can get a similar advantage from a pre-gen, why shouldn't a custom made?

Literally only the teleportan part in common?

>being creepy & unafraid
Role playing
>feigning death
Performance check
>being ethereal
There's a spell for that, butt buddy with a mage or hope the DM gives you an item/potion

I would consider it about as much pregaming as your party making sure it's balanced at character creation.

Sounds like you aren't wanting for interesting magical devices, assuming the other players have as many as you do (and assuming not a high-magic campaign/world).
If you'd like some more gimmicky magical devices, you can always talk to your DM. But magical enhancement numbers should not matter very much.
As a DM, I hardly EVER give them out - but I do give out +0 magical weapons with interesting properties, and rule that they are able to do full damage to creatures resistant to non-magical weapons.

Maybe a little, but it's vastly preferable to making a character unsuited to either the adventure (the classic fighter in an intrigue campaign) or the table (dickass rogue in most groups).

Monks can already end fear effects on themselves by level 7. Feigning death is more in the realm of a Long Death monk, but really it's not something that works too well in 5e anyway.

Being Ethereal is something you can only get as part of the Blink spell or Etherealness, so unless you convert those into Ki costs using 4 elements as a shitty guideline, I'm not sure what to tell you

How do you/does your DM handle components?
Do you do the "component tax"=paying some gold whenever you enter a city assuming you bought what you need? Or do you have to buy and keep track of every single one of your components?
Do you maybe not use them at all?

I ignore cost-less components if the PCs have their component pouches or focuses. (If they don't have them for some reason then get to scrounging)

You gotta buy anything with a gold cost individually though.

Well, for those of us who READ THE FUCKING BOOK, we know that most components aren't consumed during spell casting, and thus, don't need to be tracked.

Wiegraf was a bro. Shame about the manipulation and such.

I give even less of a shit than the core rules and just let the players directly spend GP when casting spells equal to the cost of (expended) components that would be required. We justify it as "you stocked up on the relevant components in town, and the exact identity of them doesn't matter" (sort of like 4e components which were somewhat generic).
I do prefer if they actually buy non-expendable components (i.e. focuses) mentioned by spells.

How much will I fuck up if I streamline currency into only gold?

So I wanted to include a custom magic weapon in an upcoming game and I was hoping someone could tell me if it's balanced.

Khulvorn's Bludgeon (name pending, it's an anchor)
+1 maul
This weapon has the thrown property (30/60), an enemy hit by the thrown attack must make a DC 16 Dexterity saving throw or be grappled, they may attempt to escape the grapple on their turn with a DC 16 Dexterity(Acrobatics) or Strength(Athletics) check.
As an action, you may make a contested Strength(Athletics) check with a creature grappled by this weapon's thrown attack, pulling the creature up to 30 feet towards you on a success.

I was thinking of adding a forced movement resistance (or even immunity) to go with the whole anchor theme but after typing this out I decided against it.

Read the fucking book

It honestly would change very little past level 1 or 2. Just give them whatever they want that would normally cost less than 1 gold for free because why even bother?

Like folding copper/silver/lmaotrum/platinum into gold?

It won't mess anything up but you'll lose the ability to nickel and dime the PCs over basic goods.

>League of legends items
Biggest problem is that it doesn't state if it's an action or not to attempt to break the grapple.

>hurr yes of course everyone follows the books to the t and doesn't make up their own rules
Are you guys fucking retarded? I didn't ask "how do components work" I was wondering how your group does it
Off yourselves tbqh

>gotta buy anything with a gold cost
Do they have to do it before they head out or can they spend the money while they cast the spell?

>directly spend GP when casting spells
Does that make casting spells even more of a lengthy process than it already is?

You need to keep track of which ones you already have though.

A fighter could use this for a fuckton of grapple attempts, at range, that also deal damage, potentially GWM damage. The DCs are fairly high, too, for 5e. This item has the potential to being extremely powerful and upset the action economy.
I'm not against the concept in principle, but those are things I would consider.

>Does that make casting spells even more of a lengthy process than it already is?
Why would the process be more lengthy? The players literally adjust their GP total when they cast a spell, how is that lengthier than tracking individual expended components?

>I was wondering how your group does it
by following the fucking book.

Disregard all of this if I'm running OotA or something similar where you start with nothing and have to scrounge all material components. Then you gotta track EVERYTHING.

not if it doesn't have a cost. A component pouch is assumed to have all components without cost and foci replace all components without cost.

Okay, so you have to buy any costed items in advance and keep track of what you've got?

The user you're responding to is being a bit of a twat but so are you. Following the book 100% is not a requirement, and if someone asks how groups handle things, acting like following the book is the only correct answer makes you seem like you missed the point of the question.

Ah, I left out that it would be an action to escape, but that was the intention.
>League of legends
what

Would it be better if I lowered the DC and/or made it run on charges or need a short rest?

You say that, but Tiamat is statted with the clear explanation that all you're doing is sending her back to hell.

yes. and before you ask this is how I keep track of it:
Inventory: Diamond Dust, 1500gp.

Anons? Just how massively overpowered is this race?

Phanaton
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, +1 Wisdom
Size: Small
Speed: 20 feet, Climb 20 feet
Vision: Normal
Bred for the Treetops: You have a Climb speed of 20 feet and Advantage on Athletics checks made in relation to climbing and jumping.
Forest Ghosts: You have Proficiency in Stealth, and gain Advantage on all Stealth checks made whilst in forest and jungle terrain.
Fangs: When you make an Unarmed Strike, you can choose to bite your opponent. Biting causes your attack, on a hit, to deliver 1d4 Piercing damage. If you have the Martial Arts class feature, your bite attack uses your Martial Arts damage dice instead, although it is still Piercing damage.
Glide: So long as you are not Incapacitated, overburdened, or wearing medium or heavy armor, you can use your Reaction to Glide if you fall or jump off of a high place. Gliding negates all damage you would normally take from falling, and allows you to cover a horizontal distance of 20 feet for every 5 feet you descend.

What's your favourite magic item that you ever found, be it useful or funny?
Was playing a womanizer bard that really liked jewellery. My DM got sick of me always hitting on girls and one day I found a gorgeous ring that of course I had to put on and so I did.
Turned out to be a magical wedding ring that didn't come off and completely ruined my luck with the ladies ;____;

Oath of Conquest made Xanathars?

And now can you explain why you didn't just say that at the start instead of sperging out over the idea of houserules?

Short rest would be the 5e solution. Alternatively, make it cost a bonus action, limiting it to one attempt per round.
I'd also lower the DC. Even the motherfucking Sphere of Annihilation has a DC of 13.

You motherfuckers better not be casting Plane Shift without some tuning forks.

That said, what are some fun quests/ways to acquire planar tuning forks?

You're right. Next time I'll answer the question with "By writing it down on my inventory list, numbnuts."

No matter how you cut it, it's a really stupid fucking question.

going into a planar cutlery shop

This is essentially small tabaxi with advantages instead of FAST.

I really want to play the most edgy, whole-hog Hot Topic angst goth Shadow Sorcerer possible.

Can't wait for XGE

Yes

>I'm going to be self-deprecating when asking for advice so that if it's negative I can claim to have had low expectations all along!
That said...
It's mostly fine. I don't think you have to specify that bite works with Martial Arts (even though I don't like that interaction conceptually).

summon then beat an imp's dick in to get it attuned.

Travelling gith salesmen.
>No matter how you cut it, it's a really stupid fucking question.
Considering not everybody does it RAW, it's really not.

You do know what a tuning fork is, right?

don't forget to multiclass into Whispers Bard

Fangs needs a stat, str or dex. Nothing jumps out as being too strong

it really is. Even if you don't run it RAW, it's like asking "How do you keep track of arrows?" You just write it down. Anything more complicated than "write it down" is just retarded.

yes, i was making a joke.
wonder how many people walk into planar cutlery shops, ask for tuning forks and then get sent to the planar music shop down the road

I... don't get the references. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Yeah, problem is we don't have many races with natural weapons - Tabaxi, Lizardfolk, and the UA & Plane Shift Minotaurs - and none of them really say if the natural attacks they have are supposed to be buffed for monks or not.

Thanks for the update.

>I... don't get the references. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Tabaxi is a race in Volo's guide.

So... looks like the Game Grumps are doing a brand new D&D podcast so all you guys can hate on it

I know what the Tabaxis is, I just don't know if the poster is saying the race is overpowered, underpowered or fine.

Just looking at the responses the user got shows you're wrong. People track different things at different levels of detail.

More than I'd have preferred, to be sure.

So if I change it to:

Khulvorn's Bludgeon (name pending, it's an anchor)
+1 maul
This weapon has the thrown property (30/60).
When you hit a creature with the thrown attack, you may use a bonus action to force them to make a DC 14 Dexterity saving throw or be grappled, they may attempt to escape the grapple on their turn with a DC 14 Dexterity(Acrobatics) or Strength(Athletics) check. This ability recharges on a short rest.
As an action, you may make a contested Strength(Athletics) check with a creature grappled by this weapon's thrown attack, pulling the creature up to 30 feet towards you on a success.

Is that how you meant it?

I actually may check it out

Oh boy can't wait to hate myself for watching this

Is John involved at all?

Isn't he a known crossdresser?
>theives

Hey guys I foudn this great podcast called THE ADVENTURE ZONE!
It's so funny and random and even promotes LGBTQARS+ problems!
You should deffo check it out my dudes XDDDD :D

This. I haven't watched game grumps since John left.

I actually hope Holly is involved, I actually like her roleplay a lot

Probably not

Teamfourstar's doing one too.

At least I like those people fucking around, unlike Critical Role which takes itself seriously.

You know the answer to that, user.

>Bladesinger
>Ranger
?

Except the original question wasn't about tracking them, it was about handling the costed items, and whether or not the DM requires you to buy them in advance.

>Fought people threatening her livelihood
>Fell in love with mercenary work and spelunking
I don't think this makes as much sense as some point think it does.

I meant either bonus action or short rest recharge - both aren't necessary. I'd also make the pull be either a bonus action (if the grapple doesn't require it) or be in the place of an attack, rather than consume a whole action. Presumably you want people to be able to throw it and pull a fucker quickly.
Also: if it's thrown, how does it get retrieved? Shit's heavy; are you only throwing it once and hoping for the best?

What's the RS supposed to be?

Then what's the fucking point?

>unlike Critical Role
stopped watching after they killed that big red dragon
did it keep getting worse or did they manage to improve the quality?

just because they do it differently doesn't mean I'm wrong. It just means they are retarded.

So, really long story, I desperately need to balance out an orc-elf hybrid race and an elf-dwarf hybrid race for my homebrew setting. Can I get the more obvious balance issues with these pointed out, please?

Going to post them seperately because of length issues...

>forgotten realms and greyhawk
No. I'd get it if it was as diverse as 1e's Deities and Demigods, though.

This man is the only reason I bother watching, Sam being a close second

We get it, you're an asshole who can't tolerate people liking what you don't like but hate confrontation so you just shitpost about the things that annoy you.
Anything else you'd like to say?

How are people still salty about Jon? Dan's been there longer than him at this point...although my dream team is actually Jon and Dan.