I wanna run an Aliens vs Military Geared Humans XCOM sorta thing. What system should I use for pure combat?

I wanna run an Aliens vs Military Geared Humans XCOM sorta thing. What system should I use for pure combat?

Other urls found in this thread:

contactrpg.de/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pic related could work. If you don't like Warhammer it would still be very easy to convert (autoguns are modern assault rifles, krak missile count as TOW missiles, chimera IFV counts as a Bradly or BMP)

If you want weapons skills to be very granular and therefore expensive (firearm: pistol, firearm: rifle, firearm: machine gun, etc.), using Unisystem and modeling alien types with perhaps the zombie creation rules from All Flesh Might Be Eaten might be a nice crunchy retro way to play.

A friend of mine ran this with Savage Worlds. The upcoming Ghost Recon book will be helpful. The (existing) Science Fiction Companion is also useful.

Even if your players prefer more storygame-esque stuff like FATE, for example there are variants that focus more on gear (Transhumanity's FATE which is the Eclipse Phase conversion, the FATE version of Day After Ragnarok which is a late 40's pulp-post-apocalypse game).

Man I miss beaglerush
Does he still stream?

If you want that in miniatures, just refluff Infinity.

He got mad at xcom2 raping him

Savage Worlds is perfect. Ranged combat is very focused on cover defenses, which translates directly to the game. Also, a gun that deals 3d6 or 4d6 vs an unarmored rookie should splat him very satisfyingly.

He finished up his WotC campaign two Thursdays ago. Not sure what he's doing next week but he played a bunch of games last night on Twitch.

>Playing Xenonauts (basically the original XCom with some finetuning and a graphical upgrade)
>On a mission with my high level squad with loads of cool equipment
>Entering an enemy spaceship, only two enemies left vs my 8 dudes
>"Hah, this is gonna be easy!"
>One of the motherfuckers throws a grenade, killing FIVE of my guys (one of them got resurrected though, but four were permadead)

>Research and produce the highest level armor
>The in-game description is that it can survive minor nuclear blasts
>"Sweet, so this shit is invincible. I'm gonna send my high level dude with this armor all the way to the front to catch lasers to protect my other dudes"
>Two or three shots later he's dead

Good thing I'm a scrub and not playing Ironman mode, because I'd flip my shit. Oh wait, I did that before once. I played Ironman and everything went peachy until I went on a terror mission. The first half went well, but then some fucking faggot camping on the second floor of a building killed all of my squad except one guy. This one guy got away, leaving my best men for dead. My best men, their advanced armor and their laser weapons. Which I all had to rebuild from scratch except now I lacked both the money and the material. Needless to say the enemy kicked my ass. Because of ONE fucking failed terror mission.

All of the above on Normal mode by the way. I hate this game, I hate how it rapes me and humiliates me and betrays me in unexpected ways, yet I keep coming back for more. It's like I'm the German electorate or something.

I remember playing that game. Got a distress call I think? Anyway, land in a snowy area looking for aliens. Come to find there is a lone farmer hiding in his house, blasting all the aliens near the cabin. He killed them all, none of my soldiers even did anything.

Significant NPC I guess.

will you let me play as snek

>Play Xenonaut
>Rookies can't hit anything 2 squares away because hurr durr lets stay fateful to terrible mechanics where we should have came up with improvements
>Have to savescum like crazy
>Get tried of this shit 20 hours in, uninstall

GURPS is great at simulating real life combat. When you introduce crazy shit like space armor and plasma guns, it just gets better.

What system best replicates an RKV obliterating Earth long before humanity ever sees the aliens

Earth snakes > Alien snakes
Xenos BTFO & GTFO

He streams a new season of Enemy Unknown:Long War every so often. I can see why he quit Xcom2 though. The devs wanted people to play a game and take risks, but some players want to play Xcom the way it makes sense to play it.

At least from what I remember of his thoughts on most XCOM 2 stuff early on he also doesn't care for how much the game and mods use Stealth mechanics.

Beagle has very specific ideas on what he wants from a game.

>he doesn't like eating his mistakes and playing on ironman

I do agree with him on teh stealth mechanics though - the optimal way to complete half of the missions I've seen him play would be to take two highly mobile squaddies in to run along the rooftops to hit the objectives, and have the rest of the quad cover teh extraction route.
Which is realistic, but is also boring as fuck to watch.

I used just Modern D20 for an X-Com campaing not so long ago. I just had to tweak a few things in the system and I was good to go. Me and my pals had a game each week as the squad that was being deployed to the mission, and over the next week they had access to a forum where they played as the leaders of X-Com, deciding which research to take or what mission to send their troops to. It was fun, but like the PC game, they failed to fight back the alien invasion.

Traveller. Gunplay is solid, creatures are quick and easy to stat out.

>Traveller
Also already has rules for the interaction of different levels of technology in most versions.
Also hasequipment for said technology levels, want an AK? we got stats for that, want a pocket flamethrower? got stats for that, microfusion gun? got your back, Civil war musket? sure.
Also combat is quick and tactical, most first turns, which aren't ambushes revolve around getting in position and checking the situation.
ALso also, Gear is Love, Gear is live.

For reference, you should play a couple of rounds of the Colonial marines modification to SS13, to get a feel on how real people would react in such a situation

>SS13

So, metagaming horseshit and entire military teams BTFO by one greyshirt with a toolbox followed by cries of BAN HE?

Git gud scrub

CONTACT sounds exactly what you want.

isekai-com when?

Never heard of this, can't find any resources either

Haven't played GURPS for years but this kind of tactical detail-oriented combat is where the system really shines. I also heard good things about Strike! if you like you grid-based combat a bit lighter.

>It's the year 20XX
>Planet earth is under attack
>Various world leaders and government agency operatives meet up at an undisclosed location
>"I'm afraid the British Isles are lost, sir. Paris has fallen too, the EU is trying to hold the line along the Aisne but I'm afraid they'll break through sooner or later..."
>"Status on North America?"
>"Everything east of the Mississippi is gone, sir"
>"Damn it! Is there anything we can do against these damned Xenos?"
>"Well... Smith had a proposal..."
>"Don't worry, I know the right man for the job..."

contactrpg.de/

4e? Gamma World combines with stock 4e pretty well, makes for some very powerful combat sets.

Strike! was made as an XCOM tabletop.

It's kinda light on the fiddly bits, and a splat focused entirely around using it for XCOM is in the pipeline.

Delta Green was literally made for this.

Everyone who stays still is well disciplined naughty.

>he hates ss13
I thought nu/tg/ was a meme, but whoa