/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Trove:
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
The terrain are obstacles for large enemy and should be use as such.

Other urls found in this thread:

rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/]
youtu.be/yqjLO6YNKV0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/
I just get errors.

It work just fine for me.
[rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/]

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
>Sleeping in armor
This will just be used to justify "realism"-tards who want to nerf strength and martials further, won't it?

Just pump dex up and wear magic items. There's no rule for sleeping in an amulet of protection, ring(s) of protection, or bracers of protection! 5e wants to be wushu.

>Fifth edition general
>Posts four fingered dragon

please, only the most regal of dragons belong in these threads pleb.

Perception or Insight?

I don't usually play D&D but a friend is running a Halloween oneshot and I joined up with a Variant Human Shadow Sorceror. Turns out he's giving everyone a free Feat too, so I spent that one on Alert for that tasty Initiative bonus and the fluff of a character with the Urchin background never resting easy and always keeping an eye out for trouble, but now I'm not sure how to spend my remaining Feat. I've narrowed it down to either Durable or Lightly Armored and I'm not sure which will benefit me more; the +1 bumps to Dex and Con are irrelevant since I'm spending my racial +1 to 2 stats to bump up Cha and whichever stat my feat doesn't boost, leaving me with a free +1 to bump either Dex or Con to smooth out the odd numbers, so I'm just torn between +2 AC for Studded Leather or raising my minimum regained HP on spent hit dice from 5 to 8, out of a possible 10. Given that, as a Shadow Sorceror, I can keep getting back up when I'm dropped to 0, I'm thinking Durable might be better, but I'm not sure how many chances to rest we'll be getting, and avoiding taking damage in the first place has its appeal.

tl;dr Anyone have any advice on whether it's better to boost AC or self-healing on a short rest in this system?

AC. Even if you end up with enough extra self-healing that it's worthwhile, the rest of your party won't,and you'll have to stop anyway, betrer to just get hit less so you don't need the healing as often to start with

youtu.be/yqjLO6YNKV0

>30 minutes in it's just Adam trying hard not to sperg that DW is better than 5e why won't you accept it waahhhh

Perception

Halloween approaches.

DMs, what do you have in store for your players? You do have some macabre encounters for them to experience on the spookiest of nights right?

dice+6d20

Let's see what kind of sneaky lizardfolk rogue I'm gonna be

Rolled 16, 10, 18, 16, 1, 18 = 79 (6d20)

Fucked up, whoops

rolling now

All of the party members that can sleep are trapped in personalized nightmares, being chased by a striped red-and-black bugbear.

It's up to the elf and the warforged to track down the Headless Horseman, herald of the Great Pumpkin, to free their teammates of their nightmares

Rolled 17, 16, 6, 16, 16, 4 = 75 (6d20)

My ranger lizard-like tiefling will help you out with his high wisdom

Going to a game tomorrow where it's the Old World from Warhammer Fantasy but with 5e as the system.

How fucked am I, tee gee?

What the fuck is that jackass's hair

Rolled 2, 17, 6, 7, 11, 2 = 45 (6d20)

Prepare to face your nemesis, the smarmy half-elven necromancer

By "smarmy" do you mean "mentally and physically disabled but wicked agile on his wheelchair"?

How would I make a Hamon user?
Some kind of paladin/monk multiclass?

Get a familiar that can punch. So a beast master ranger.

Sun Soul Monk

I mean, probably not at all. 5e is a way less dangerous setting than Warhammer, considering that an epic hero probably has 25 hit points. The only thing you would should worry about is being killed because you try to murderhobo

Insight are for pervert. perception are for exhibitionist.

Would nobility accept a low-nobility tiefling?

Well, more concern than 5e's mechanics reflect the tone of heroic fantasy while WHFRP is more gritty and I've a fondness for that.

Hopefully there's a decent way to go full Bretonian Knight in 5e I guess?

Depends on the setting and the tiefling, most cases fuck no

Has anyone else been dealing with players starting to whine because they want "hub cities" because of shit like this?

For fucks sake, you're out in the frontier of the wilderness. There's no logical way for me to give you a magic building you can customize. This isn't a fucking MMO

I guess they would see him as Tyrion Lannister.

Some players are just dumb normies, sorry user.

>For fucks sake, you're out in the frontier of the wilderness.

So... you put them out in the frontier wilderness, and they want to build a settlement there. And you think this has something to do with MMOs, rather than that being what people have done to frontier wilderness for the entirety of mankind's history.

>I put them in a library, and they want to read books! This isn't a fucking MMO!

Magical jack o lanterns that have different effects based on what's carved into them. Ranging from aoe protection good/evil to zone of truth

if you wanna sleep in armor while camping in the forest or some shit, thats one thing
but i have people saying they sleep in their armor while at inns and such
that shit is just silly

For anons who have played Princes of the Apocalypse, how is it? I have goal of running a sort of saga set in the Forgotten Realms with the players starting in LMoP and branching out from there. Is it any fun? Any DM work that I need to do?

>Theirs no way for me to give you a magic building to customize
What is reclaiming a lost fort?

But no really they could just build one if you'd let them, also that's what people do in a frontier.

I've tried that! I let them buy a recently finished building, and then they wanted to add all this stupid shit like a fight pit or a pub and when I explain that there's no point to a fight pit because there aren't enough people to do fighting and that there's no steady supply resources they could use to run a pub they got upset.

They also started collecting every corpse they find because they want to use them for magical items. They're out at the edge of civilization! There's nobody who can fucking turn a god damn Dryad corpse into a magical item. This entire campaign was built around exploring unknown lands with minimal contact with civilization and now they all want to be so URBAN.

Remove the chromatic variant of dragonborn and instead rename them Dragonspawn.

y tho

>familiar
Why?

Sounds like you should communicate more before starting the campaign.

He seems to have confused Hamon with Stands.

Just play Paladin and be a Grail Knight

FOR THE LADY

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I liked the idea of the character being tough from surviving beatings from spooked townfolk as a budding Sorcerer.
Looks like the oneshot is just gonna be me and a Fighter at a noble's masquerade ball, so I'm not sure how many opportunities to rest there'll be anyway.

Evil Dragon Tiamat and her dragonspawn vs Good dragon Bahamut and his dragonborn

???

Done Pally before with a halberd, sword and board might be boring but eh.

What Cleric Cantrips should I choose? They all seem pretty useless.

So what's going to happen to my fiend pact warlock once he uses true polymorph to permanently transform into a spellcaster vampire?

I want to play some 5e where should I go? Local groups? Roll20? Some discord?

Sun monk 8/Fighter 12

Enjoy beamspam.

Local Groups are the best bet. You may encounter neckbeards and autists in person though.

Roll20 is better if you know people who are into D&D. Most adventures die off after 5+ sessions (if you're lucky).

I'll be a player this year, but after exposure to Saya no Uta I have such PLANS for next year.
Clerics actually have some great cantrips. Sacred Flame is a good standby; Radiant damage is always useful, and several Domains make it pack a punch. Guidance is also handy for contributing in noncombat when other people are skillmonkeying; sometimes that extra 1d4 is the difference between the Rogue flubbing a lockpicking roll and passing it. Thaumaturgy can be handy for making noises to distract enemies when you're sneaking, and I've always been fond of Mending for patching up anything sundered and getting loot in better condition for sale.
Clerics have some fantastic cantrips, but the class is heavily altered by Domain. What kind of cleric are you making, user?

Guidance
Literally spam it outside of Combat

You never know when a +1 might be the difference between a success or fail

Sacred Flame for range.
Hand of Radiance for up close fighting mobs.
Booming Blade for melee range single-target damage, Arcana Cleric being the best for it. (Otherwise can get it via Magic Initiate or racial bonus)

Roll20 is often good, but the handful of in-person games I've had have gone well aside from obnoxious bullshit like Kender and SJWs. I've had bad experiences with the GameFinder thread here on Veeky Forums but friends of mine have had fun in games found through it.

Next session PCs in my 5e game are going into a burned-out library where an evil NPC is hiding. They'll have the chance to find a book haunted by the ghost of a librarian who died in the fire that burned down the library. It'll help them with what could be a tough fight against the NPC, but the ghost needs something in return.

What should it be? What would a ghost librarian want? I'm thinking about having him not be able to see that the library is destroyed and wanting the PCs to track down somebody with an overdue book (which, at this point, is like 50 years overdue.)

Is it better to go full Warlock or stop at 3rd level and go Sorcerer the rest of the way?

>PCs to track down somebody with an overdue book (which, at this point, is like 50 years overdue.)

That's a pretty good avenue for another side-adventure. I'd like to say that the Ghost Librarian would want to see that their surviving descendants(if he has any) become the new caretaker of the Library in his stead.

He's gonna be a spellcaster vampire.
Why the fuck can nobody on this whole site (on any of the boards) just fucking normally be excited about something? "Hey guys, in our next session I'm gonna transform myself into a spellcasting vampire."
Why does it have to be one of these:
>not polymorphing yourself into a spellcasting vampire, shiggy diggy
"What is the best thing to polymorph yourself into and why is it a spellcasting vampire?"
"Guys I polymorphed myself, wat do?"

Just explain stuff like a normal person, why are you all so hungry for acceptance or so afraid of differing opinions you dismiss all others as garbage? Spineless cunts.

If you're opening up UA for Hand of Radiance, Toll the Dead can do d12s instead of Sacred Flame's d8s. It doesn't ignore cover, and it's a Wisdom save instead of Dex, and it's Necrotic damage that won't double against shit like undead, but it's half again the raw damage potential with equal range.
That sounds pretty rad, and appropriate for spookmas. What happens if the overdue book isn't intact, though?
Invocations can be pretty potent, but I suppose it depends on what you want out of your build.

If Toll the Dead is better than Hand of Radiance depends entirely on if your DM actually bothers with the cover rules.

Making a life domain Cleric. Just want to make sure everyone survives because no one else chose classes that can heal. I don't think I'll need any offensive skills because the rest of the party really has that covered.

>why are you all so hungry for acceptance or so afraid of differing opinions you dismiss all others as garbage?
I don't know. Why are you?

Glazing over user projecting his anxieties on other posters, what will happen to my warlock abilities? Will I be able to still level up afterwards? Am I going to be gimping myself?

That'll be up to you and your DM to figure out

Holly confirmed.
Ok, I'm wathing this game grumps RPG podcast now, even tough it's not Stryx

Where are these pictures coming from?

GG facebook page

This is absolutely the reason I've by and large stopped using Veeky Forums outside of literally just /5eg/

Need help with a campaign I'm in, I'm having problems with the DM and a player in it who happens to be his wife.
>DM rarely ever prepares, and always focuses on the minute details. Will provide examples if required.
>His wife always clashes with him and is constantly whining if things don't go her way "Thats not fair!" "I haven't done any damage this entire encounter this is stupid"
>DM always lets us down. "Don't worry guys I know these last sessions have been a bit boring but next one will be exciting!"
>Next session wasn't exciting. We explored an entire temple dungeon thing and found a single enemy and nothing more.

I'm trying not to leave the group becuse outside of DnD they are good friends and if I leave I'll see a lot less of them, but my other friend in the group has just about had enough.

TLDR Shit DM and his wife are ruining an otherwise fun experience with the other players, how to rectify without leaving?

I WANT NORMIES OUT OF D&D
NORMIES GET OOOOOUUUUUUUUUUT

You or someone else DMs
That's the only real solution. So put on your big boy pants or go suck one of your friends dicks to do it.

Find a new DM, they can be someone else in your group or someone new, keep your old group just get a new DM

She's a actually pretty legit roleplayer on Dice, Camera, Action

Hey niggas where I can find an internet plataform to play 5E, I mean a no bullshit one, one where people don´t need to ask a for my pronouns or other gay shit

>Blackleaf
I-Is she memeing?

roll20?

Unfortunately nobody in my group has ever DM'd before. I'm trepidatious about doing it myself as I still consider myself a novice when it comes to roleplaying. Guess I just gotta look for a new group then.

You want offensive skills. Sometimes no one needs heals, or an enemy is going to fuck people up after your turn if you can't shave off its last two hitpoints. Offence is the best defence; by all means patch people up when needed but don't treat clerics as healbots. The Life domain is all about pumping up your healing so you're free to be ready for other things as well.
It's the normie-est ttrpg. Get used to it.
Talk to the rest of the group about it. Then talk to the GM about it with them backing you up and let him know what issues you're all having with the situation.
I'd like to advocate going to his wife first and letting her know that her whining over anything not going her way and measuring fun by damage dealt is impairing the fun for everyone else, but in my experience that just leads to butthurt, so I think you're better off talking to the GM first. 's suggestion may be the best solution; as a GM who rarely ever prepares I don't know if your GM will be willing to step down and let someone else take over, but if he's just going through the motions he might be eager to cede the position, and if not then you still could be able to talk him into it for the good of the group.

this art is uncanny valley as fuck.

how?

>I'm afraid because I'm a novice
BITCH IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE NEW OR NOT

What matters is FUN. You have all the resources from these threads! You have games you can just hijack for! You can even use ROLL20. The priority is that there's stuff for your characters to DO. Being a DM isn't hard as long as you follow the rule of "making it so everyone is having fun"

If E-Celebs can pull it off, so can you.

Grab spiritual weapon and spirit guardians. Dip strength so you can bonk things if you gotta.
Your healing will still be great and damage won't be negligible at least.

I dunno mang I´ve been checking it but people seem afraid of being called misogynist nazi pig and I dont really want to argue on that shit, I just want to play with some dudes and do dude stuff

Any Germans that have the Ulisses/Gale Force 9 translation of the PHB here atm?

Sind hier gerade Deutsche die die Übersetzung des PHB von Ulisses/Gale Force 9 haben?

The pose is all fucked, combined with the face that looks like it's having a stroke. It's like someone was trying to make something Token-scale for roll20 but then halfway through decided to change the scale completely to something more like a normal character portrait, so it's all mashed together.

Mostly it's just that the pose looks like a beat up action figure and completely unnatural though.

Then just bite your tongue? I mean generally if people don't bring up politics then it'll be fine.

No where because most normal groups probably would consider you a neckbeard fag. Glhf lul

>guys i want to play a rapist and drag everyone into my magical realm
>but ppl wont let me cuz they're all cucks
>life is so hard guys

Go watch Matt Colville's videos. I believe in you user. You can do it. The only answer is to play YOUR game.

Bro. that is actually pretty inspiring.
Thanks dudes I'm going to give it a go!

dont be a cunt if it's at all possible for you. most people don't like rape and white supremacy in their dnd games

I appreciate the advice guys. Thanks.

Hey Im not even white wtf, nor do I want magical peeing jungles, I just want to rp and shitpost like I do here

I was in your position, my dude. I decided to DM for the first time for 3 brand new players. No idea what to do, didn't want to let them down on their first game, they all watched Critical Role the entire way through so they had high standards ( i guess? ). I watched basically EVERY Matt Colville video, especially his first 3 videos of running the game and the campaign set up he introduces is just prime and my players have been having a blast, as have I.

You have to find a group of like minded people, most groups I've experienced don't enjoy shitposting (depends what you coin shitposting, banter and fun times is usually all good) but people take the game seriously, especially DM's, they spent a long time putting it together.

Only advice is try reddit r/lfg, game finder and roll 20. Theirs prob some discord channels out there too. just google it shit

The first long term game of D&D I played had me thrust into the DM seat after the guy who volunteered realized it was a totally different edition.

It was hard at first, and,thibgs might have gotten a bit crazy, but everyone had a great time and I got better at it.

Trust me, you can do this user

So I'm a barbarian in a 4 person party with a bard, mystic, and druid. We just hit level 3, and our bard is gonna go lore. He has 10 dex and 9 str, so he basically has no place in a fight once he's out of spells, which happens quickly. Will it get better if he just sticks with bard for more slots, or should I try to convince him to MC into warlock 1 or 2 levels? We aren't necessarily lacking for damage, but I felt kinda bad just watching him miss crossbow bolt after bolt

Does he have Viscous Mockery? Because he should just be casting that instead

Just have him take Vicious Mockery.