My new D&D group at uni is 3 girls, 3 guys, how does this normally go down Veeky Forums?

My new D&D group at uni is 3 girls, 3 guys, how does this normally go down Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_interest
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>relationships, drama, game over

The ugliest guy will shack up with the ugliest gal and they'll become unbearably mooshy with each other.

One woman already has a boyfriend. The other is related to the second guy but is single. The third guy will be a complete beta fag Nice Guy weirdo around whichever of the women is prettiest (probably the one who already has a boyfriend). Hopefully you're not the third guy.

This thread can go nowhere good.

>how does this normally go down Veeky Forums?
That's typical of university gaming groups. It goes pretty well, especially if you guys have a handle on roleplay etiquette.

At university you're generally dealing with people who are highly literate and cultured, haven't yet seen their spirits broken by the working world, and have more free time on their hands. It's a plus.

The betas are going to try to help the females whatever they can.
>At university you're generally dealing with people who are highly literate and cultured
Only in STEM courses

Fine as long as no one is a complete cock.

Depends. Are you well-adjusted and normal human beings with a grasp of basic human decency?

If so, then things should go fine.

Roll dice to see who fugs who

The only thing you might have to worry about is someone hitting on another player's character. Even then, you just have to take a read of the situation and see if anyone at the table is uncomfortable. If they are just make a rule that characters can only hit on npcs.
Also, if anyone ends up wanting to shack up with an npc, mostly glean over it. This applies to most groups either way.

>haven't yet seen their spirits broken by the working world
Not the kind of people I want to game with.

this rings true

You play DnD....

Oh you mean just because their are people of opposite sexes that they must all have sex.... Are you retarded? Just play DnD... Sure I am sure a pairing will occur because of close proximity and random chance.

Just don't be a creep and play DnD..

>Only in STEM courses
ha

I don't know, what are their personalities?

I'm probably the ugliest one account i'm the overweight one with an anime pfp.
I'm in STEM, i think the GM is too. Don't know about the other guy or grills though.
I am at least the last one.
Just here for the stories of creeps who've ruined groups bud.

Maybe the group will be fantastic. Maybe it'll eventually fall apart.

The important thing is for you to contribute toward the first outcome, not the second.

This sounds like a university approved D&D club.
If so, you're completely fucked.
College D&D clubs gather the absolute worst collection of players.
I tried one once, it was a group of two woman, both feminists, one was heavily tattooed with tribal designs and spent each session watching movies on a laptop and using the group as a sample study for some sociology homework.
The other was fat, played a 'gender fluid' character and contributed nothing to the group, can't remember what class the thing was cuz all it did was martially attack enemies every turn in combat.
The DM had some sort of mental condition and had deformed face from birth, never had anything prepared for a session ever. spent first 2 hours making something up real quick everytime.
Lastely two weeaboos, they were awkward and disgusting blobs of humanity but they were experienced players and could be communicated to as long as they weren't required white knight and protect the ugly womyn.

I got involved when they ran a promote for new members, none of the new members stayed because they are a collection of freaks. if you are well-adjusted you have no place being there.

>The third guy will be a complete beta fag Nice Guy weirdo around whichever of the women is prettiest (probably the one who already has a boyfriend). Hopefully you're not the third guy.
I'm the third guy, but haven't really become a nice guy. Rather I've been acting like an even bigger dumbass and spouting off more bullshit than usual.
At least the whole group gets to laugh at it.

It could go well, or it could go poorly. As always, it depends on the players and dm.

Do you have a bitter neckbeard? That could make it go poorly.

>ctrl+F
>orgy
>0 results
Huh. I figured it would be the first post.

>At university you're generally dealing with people who are highly literate and cultured
Yes. Or bros.

Well, first, the DM thinks over the kind of game they want to run and discusses it with the players. After some thought, they type up the necessary setting information and hand it out, at which point the players begin making characters. Sometimes this is done as a 'session zero' with all the players together, but just as often players will simply build their characters separately and bring them to the first game session. How precisely this happens depends on the edition in question, but, generally, the players will choose a race and class, generate abilities, then pick a selection of skills, feats, and spells or powers dependent on their earlier choices.

Once this has been done, the first game session is run. These can begin in multiple ways, but the first session will often be about feeling out everyone's characters and getting used to one another, alongside a simply plot hook that quickly draws the PCs into some kind of action and gives them a reason to work together. Some DMs prefer to run preset adventures for their first sessions, while others swear them off entirely.

After this the game continues, with the characters leveling up, gaining treasure, power, and all manner of magical artifacts while they explore the fantasy world and stories the DM places before them. What can happen from this point is entirely up to the participants of the game. Some games will peter out, others will reach their intended conclusion.

That should be all the necessary information OP.

>Only in STEM courses

Pffft. STEM students are often the least literate people in education. Half of them literally cannot spell.

Thats because half of them are Indian or arab. But many will still graduate and go get masters or MDs

t. STEM major

Your use of ellipsis is creepy and offputting

This is the correct non-shitposting response.

My group met as a D&D club, i got VERY lucky and we still meet 5 years later.

>cultured
No, you optimistic user, god no. These people are 50% "i'm here because I was told college is key to the future" dumbass fodder who would have been better off working to avoid severe debt. The remaining 50% is between people who should get a trade like CNC ops, and people who should stay.

This is the correct Drama answer.

Also STEM major.

Yeah, of course they will. You're just smoking up one hell of a pipe dream if you expect the average STEM student to be literate or cultured. Many STEM fields attract exactly the kind of people that have zero interest in culture or literacy.

I was going to make a meme response but I can't follow this post. Spot on, spot on.

>I have never been to a college.

>At least the whole group gets to laugh at it.
No Connor, we actually really, really hate it. We just chuckle politely to make you shut up for just enough time to get the plot moving forward again.
Can't you move on and find another group to ruin already?

That's funny, because here STEM applicants consistently score higher when it comes to the humanities, literature and writing.

>This is the correct non-shitposting response.

Eh, I may have been shitposting just a little bit.

Sorry pal, wrong house.
my GM wants to tie me with his "main plot" so I doubt he wants me gone, but I should really tone down the jokes a bit.

The women draw straws to determine which of them should propose a mmmf gangbang with the rest of the group.

And the losers lez it out with each other.

Yep, that's why I said "generally."

Maybe it was just my experience, but I haven't really seen any typical fratty dudebro types playing TRPGs.

For culture, I'm talking entry-level. Bare-bones casual shit by our standards, but above the overall population average. If you've seen the original LotR trilogy, Star Wars, any Indiana Jones, have read at least one book worth of dnd source material, and can get through a rulebook without looking up words every five minutes, then you probably meet the most basic requirements for dnd.

Just like any other group. Just treat them the way you would treat anyone else and everything will be fine.

>3 girls
Allowing women into any game always ends in disaster.

>Maybe it was just my experience, but I haven't really seen any typical fratty dudebro types playing TRPGs.

Some people have an incredibly broad definition of fratty dudebros. Back in uni there were two or three guys in the RPG society who thought I was a dumb jock simply because I didn't dress like shit and took care of myself.

Its just some of the people in game society, i assume most of the staff just think it's board games.
Looking from the group chat, two of the girls are pretty cute and the other's kinda plain. The two dudes are pretty normal looking. Don't think i'm gonna have to deal with your level of pain.

New hire at work, STEM graduate in mechanical engineering. Ask him to torque a part with a dozen bolts, tell him the value is on the inspection form.

>mfw i have no face and grabs a regular wrench and begins tightening in a circle as tight as he can
>mfw the torque value was 40 ft-lbs
>mfw we are the same age and i get paid more for not going to college

What are you, a plumber?

Oil & gas friendo

I've had groups with that split before (more often is one or two girls with three guys, once it was three girls and one guy). Literally no reason it should go down any different that any other group, hoping they're mentally sane people.
You're not 16, you're not going to get the cooties.

Well, his major isn't supposed to land him that job. The fact that degrees have been devalued in America is mostly due to too many people getting crappy ones from crappy universities, no?

I'm convinced that the push to put everyone in college was funded by greedy bankers who were pissed they had most of the money instead of all of the money. So they pushed everyone to enter a contract where you give them all your money for nothing promised in return. I'm telling my kids to learn how to turn a wrench.

It also has to do with grade inflation, and employers valuing skills and culture. Having a piece of paper is nice, but in corporate america the important things are what you can actually do, and whether you can easily be molded to fit the company's desired culture.

>gets degree in mechanical engineering
>No previous work experience in a machine shop or mechanical environment
>Gets told to do the most basic of tasks of tightening something to a designated torque
>Checks 4 years of education
>Realizes he has no idea what he is doing
>Fuck a part because of hilarious amounts of overtorquing
>Looks like he may cry at any moment

I was under the assumption that a 4 year qualification in mechanical engineering would cover some basic mechanical and engineeeing principles.

Alright, in that case being pedantic about the tightness of bolts is entirely in order.

Dunno, from my experience girls don't tend to be into that thing, I only met 3 girls who were into rpgs (including D&D) 2 were pretty swell the third was speacial snoflake mary sue stuff of nightmares, srly seemed like an avatar of what Veeky Forums preaches about

>Government guarantees loans for education
>Banks gladly lend to the State as they have to guarantee it
>College rates soae because students get loans to go
>College realizes they can charge what they like as the bank/state pays for it
>Bank realizes they can charge what tjey like as State/tax payer pays for it
>Repeat until levels reach critical mass

>but in corporate america the important things are

...who you know, and who your parents know.

Training and experience only matter in actual trades. Corporate bullshit is just that: shit.

I mean, if they can't get to the 'top' of university graduates, and odds are against then, a trade would definitely put them at a much greater standard of living.
The only crappy thing is the social status anti-trades memes perpetrated by people butthurt about being ripped off due to their degree and trying to devalue others' work.

Its not pedantic, its basic engineering. Sometimes they act as a safety-break seal. If they are set at a specific level this part is designed to break and prevent a blowout or other happenings further down the line. As for the order you tighten them, you do a north south then east west pattern so the part fits snug, tightening all a little at a time otherwise the part you begin tightening will go in deeper and at an angle.

That's a silly thing to think. No conspiracy is necessary.

People want to be upwardly mobile. There's a strong correlation between a job's pay and its education requirements. Parents encourage their children to go to college so that they can get better jobs. College tuition is an investment.

The problem is that it's sometimes a bad investment. For-profit colleges often don't increase your future income enough to justify their cost.

Going to college is good. Knowing more things makes you a better person. But the pricing structure and quality controls need regulation.

Um, you sit down and play Dungeons and Dragons? I mean that's what happened in my 2 girls 4 guys group back in Uni.

>The problem is that it's sometimes a bad investment. For-profit colleges often don't increase your future income enough to justify their cost.

All private education facilities are for profit. The problem is placing those unsuited for college in it. That includes:

>Affirmative action programs
>Average/below average students
>Those inclined to liberal arts

The point of higher education is -not- to prepare you for work/life/etc. Its job is to provide you with the situation (not obligation) to learn a trade. If you neglect it, it is your fault.

>look at me mommy, I called minorities dumb on the internet!

>look at me daddy, I'm disappointing you again by spouting off about things I don't know about!

If you'd been to college in the last 15 years you'd have met plenty of these unqualified "minorities" as you so aptly put it.

My University d&d group was a girl, 4 guys, andmy girlfriend at the time.
The girl tried to date a couple of us over the next 5 years, it didnt pan out.
Then it was the same 4 guys, and my new girlfriend for 3 years.
Now its those same 4 guys and the girl, everyone is dating different people, and shes marriedto someone outside the group.

As for education:
>go into compsci based on what i was told about the industry and entry pay level and benefits.
>get out.
>realizations:
>pay is crap, almost half what I'd been led to believe.
>no benefits.
>tons of overtime on salary, all the time. Factoring in the overtime I'm making less than minimum wage.
>most of the jobs are for someone super familiar with a single language just executing instructions, my training was mostly project management and design, im not using any of the skills I learned in my degree.
>get laid off.
>spend a few years taking literally any non software job.
>call centre for cable company
>telecom home install and repair
>repair guy in a computer shop for just over minimum wage.
>say fuck it, now going back to school for business mgmt, getting a well rounded plate of courses with an entrepreneurial bent. Afterwords i will independently study for linux and mcse certs in the evening. Gonna try to get a job that is less bullshit whilst trying to get my own business off the ground.

If I'd gone for the 2 yr 3d graphics course i was looking at i bet I'd have had a much easier time over the past decade. But I went into stem because I was misled regarding pay, job stability, benefits, and work envieonments. I kindof wish I had ignored my parents and guidance counselors.

STEM doesnt always work out. Especially in software.

itt: for once a "women in tabletop" thread on Veeky Forums devolves into something idiotic that isn't gender wars and incoherent screaming about people who look different then you.

now its about people who have a different degree then you. Joy.

History major/Political Science minor here.

You guys have a lot of fun playing D&D together. Sometimes people struggle with the rules, but you generally have a good laugh and a chill time. Also, you can meet regularly and have a really long campaign. Cherish that, it gets harder as you get older.

Enjoy finding work later I hear the job market in those fields is booming.

t. Business Management and Computer engineering dual major.

here.
Just software engineering a shit. Hopefully combining it with business mgmt works out for both of us.

You all fuck

You meet every now and then and play dnd. Occasionally someone cancels due to projects and shit so you either wait or run a one-shot.

Like a normal fucking group

I respect your choice of degree. Some of the most fascinating and well-informed people I know have gone in for history or anthropology. And they get to do fun stuff like study abroad in Africa and Europe. For a business major it's just endless cube-farms and open offices, with the occasional snazzy lobby.

t. Business Analytics IT major, Political Science minor. Business school sucked out most of my capacity for levity and whimsy. I envy history majors for having interesting topics to bring up in social situations.

Hopefully, fortunately being in Germany there is a large focus on doing internships as part of the degree so most graduates have a job waiting for them after they finish.

Wow, user, that's fuckin' spot on.

I was going to post an anecdote from running a 3/3 game, but this was basically it.

Also, note that everything described doesn't /necessarily/ mean the game devolving into nothing but pointless drama and falling apart. The one I ran for about a year had similar dynamics and things went just fine. That said, I'd assume such groups have an above-average chance of things going south.

i envy business majors for having a better grasp of money and economics then I do.

honestly, I'm just taking it as pre-law since that's where my fascinations lie

No user that's too boring. That's no way to get (You)s

Maybe you should take more of an interest in those topics, studying business and computer engineering doesn't prevent me from reading up on history and philosophy in my free time and it leaves me free to read it at my own time and pace. Studying history or anthropology makes you very interesting to talk to, but I'd rather have a degree that will get me a job than a degree that makes me good to have talk to around a dinner table.
That being said, humanities students certainly are far more interesting to talk to and I wish I could hang out with more of them than the STEM students that dominate my university.

Fuck no. If a university with a STEM major doesn't require co-oping they'll come out with exclusively theoretical knowledge and maybe a bit of project experience of tiny diy shit.

I made bank in university as one of the only engineering students on campus who actually knew his way around the machine shop. Like, its to the point that they send the blueprints out to a licensed shop and then gets parts back for whatever project they're working on - but there's a turnaround time so they can't procrastinate or fuck up.

Guess who charged them an arm and a leg when they procrastinated or fucked up?
I also provided 'common sense' blueprint consultations for a fee. You would not believe the shit I've seen them try and come up with that is flat out impossible and they have no goddamn idea why boring a tiny ass hole in a big chunk of steel will get them laughed at by a machinist.

To make a tiny ass hole just use OP's dick.

>having a better grasp of money and economics then I do

For the money thing, the main thing that comes into everyday life is compound interest.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_interest

The gist of the personal finance side is: Pile money into savings accounts while you're young so it has more time to snowball (pick something with low fees, never take money out of it), don't have debt, if you do have debt pay it down ASAP and have a low rate, care a lot about your interest/growth rate (even going from 2% to 4% is huge over 20 periods of compounding). Also renegotiate, job-hop, care about the items which will come up on your reviews, look at your job description for help, talk to your manager for advice, stay in touch with people, and take actions to make your resume appealing for your dream job.

cool, thanks!

>cultured people
>uni
All my keks.
There are so many pseudo-intellectuals with only the most fragile facade of knowing what they're talking about it isn't even funny.
Combine that with "I took a class once so i'm an expert on this subject" or campus politics to the effects of "i'm sure someone, somewhere, could potentially be offended by this component found in another culture so you should really remove it" and you have walking-talking constant annoyances. It's not unique to a particular branch of studies either. (even if the humanities have that stereotype)
And people whining about "bros" don't know shit, they're generally great people who can join discussions and even admit they're dumbasses about [specific subject] at times. In fact the only issue i've had with them is the women who hang around them, insufferable drama queens that will stir shit within the group the second their target gets out of hearing range. (or just be outright nasty as fuck about them outside the tabletop milieu)

The only good thing about uni crowds for D&D is that it's easier to exclude people who can't behave like adults and to recruit new people to replace them.

You've clearly never been to uni user

As someone who ran a Tabletop Club, I feel sorry for you. You should not have had that experience.

>highly literate and cultured
LMFAO

ITT: Philistines trying to justify their ignorance.

We had a guy at our shop, has a 4 year degree in Mechanical Engineering, claimed he had machine shop experience. All sorts.

We ask him to show us what he can do and bore a 2" hole in to some scrap we had, it was about 8" square block of chromoly, nothing serious.

He balanced it on the table and selected the biggest bit, didn't mic it, didn't find a center line or even secure the piece to the table. Our machinist (Trained, certified Journeyman) nearly flipped when he watched, but we let him go until we was about to make contact.

We laughed and laughed and then fired him.

Yeah it attracts "in it for the money" types.

Orgy. Roll dice to decide who is the bottom bitch.

Which dice?
Modifiers?

It's going to be a horrible clusterfuck.

Not because of the girls, you dunce. You're playing D&D.

Fine, as long as you're all mature adults.

>playing DnD
>mature adults

user....

So long as nobody is a shithead, it should be about the same as any other group.

it's like you've never been to university