Which system is the best for begginners, Veeky Forums?

Which system is the best for begginners, Veeky Forums?

5e

You've got a pretty decent one right there, OP.

BRP/Call of Cthulhu

Not even meming here, I love 5e. It simplifies a lot of shit from 3.5 without dumbing it down too much.
The big loss of all the splatbooks is being made up with each new release.
Advantage/Disadvantage is the obvious answer to an old problem. It's an easy-to-teach, fairly adaptable system for fantasy roleplay. Good shit.

>without dumbing it down too much.
>Advantage/Disadvantage is the obvious answer to an old problem.
except it's a badly dumbing down answer

fighting fantasy or
5e

WoD

5e is good for beginners, in the sense that they can drop it after three or four games. It's so dumbed down it's fucking D&D-tier.

You posted it.

>5e sucks!
>5e is the most popular rpg
>Even suffers from the "I don't want to learn a new system" plague ensuring new players stay playing d&d
Why is it people who say d&d sucks always recommend also-bad-but-in-a-different-way systems?

If you've got a noob GM, 5e starter set.
If you got GM that knows what he's doing, Barbarians of Lemuria.
If you're not into fantasy, there are decent games to start with but ultimately none are too helpful for a newbie specifically. I find Call of Cthulhu and WoD to be okay and you can run a lot of modern supernatural detective horror things with those. You'll have to figure stuff out a lot in any way.

2e is nice. You're talking about WFRP right?

A retroclone of some sort where the character sheet fits on a business card for the oldschool feel, or D&D 5e because most people interested in ttrpgs have played crpgs and are very familiar with how they work.

Barring the "dnd is shit", which is kinda true if you dabble in other, more concise and specialized systems, a video gamer's easiest transition to ttrpg is D&D. Anyone wanting to play D&D worth his salt has ever tried Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate; or some other D&D derived game like KotOR.

I'm actually having a lot of trouble with my normie (though great people) highschool friends that never played an RPG video game in their life and don't watch any fantasy, and they wanna try ttrpgs out, gonna go with Barbarians of Lemuria after watching Conan so they kinda know where they are. It's so weird not being able to just use "generic fantasy #4562 with orcs, elves, dwarves, dark lord" 'cause they've never consumed such media.

If your players have ever played ttrpgs, Neverwinter Night and so on, go with D&D to spare them headaches. Otherwise, find something fast and simple.

D&D is only bad in the sense that it's been played so much by so many people that all of its flaws are under much more scrutiny.

Even Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, a system I love deep in my heart, has a lot of wonky shit in it, but it's relatively obscure and the people who like it absolutely love it, so you don't hear as much about its flaws.

5e.

5e is easy to learn but I prefer 3.5 for its depth. That and I have a massive stack of splat books for it.

Sunk Cost Fallacy

D&D 5th Edition
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
Swords and Wizardry White Box
Fate Accelerated
Fiasco
Dread

OSR. If your going to learn, learn right.

>run keep on the borderlands with a couple of new players
> Heading to the caves of chaos
> Random encounter is a giant lizard
>they attack
>1st level characters not at all prepared for this combat
> Die in the second round
> Players decide they would rather play something else where their characters won't die so pathetically before even reaching the dungeon.

OSR, really teaches them right, scares them right off.

Did you remember to tell them not to attack every living creature they see like tards, or did the reaction roll come up bad?

I told them to be careful, to remember that the system is highly lethal and deployed the "are you sure?" a couple of times. The lizard was just minding its own business but no, they decided to just go and attack it because they felt is was blocking the way.

WoD
5E dnd
Simple d6
Fate
Castles and Crusaders

Likely more but these come to mind atop of my head.

Kill puppies for satan. You can be a murder hobo and it will be fine.

>the people who like it absolutely love it
Reporting!
I'll be the last person to defend WFRP from a mechanical standpoint, but despite its wonkyness it just works. Or 1e worked. 2e's gentrification only highlighted the wonkyness. We don't talk about 3e.

As for newbie-games, D&D has 5 decades worth of being a gateway drug. Just steer away from the mess that is 3e, 4e or Pathfinder, and all will be well.

The one you've posted, but second edition.

>suggesting FATE to new players
>suggesting it at all
FATE is a terrible game to make beginners try, because it promises free form roleplay but actively slaps cumbersome mechanics on it to limit roleplaying to a handful of character traits to Flanderize your character. It’s a system that tries to get you to “unlearn” RPGs in the worst way possible.

I like old art but this is really, really ugly and fucked up. Did they not have any budget for a proper illustrator?

>I have no reading skills: the post

>except it's a badly dumbing down answer

As opposed to going back to 3.5-rule-for-everything?

Sounds like you play with some bitches. I bet they want free college and $15 an hour too.

Fallacy Fallacy

Lone Wolf Adventure Game (Cubicle 7). It was designed as an introduction to RPGs.

Fantasy Age, is also very simple and has fun stunt mechanics.