Could your party survive the Night, Veeky Forums?

Could your party survive the Night, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kDqp5RxTUrI
youtube.com/watch?v=XR2oct3zeTM
nightland.website/index.php/stories/night-land-stories/the-days-of-darkening/11-narcissus
nightland.website/index.php/stories/night-land-stories/the-days-of-darkening/126-eve-of-evil-part-1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

tfw Party is sleeping outside tonight cause we got played by a vampire.

>Trusting Vamps.
>Ever.
LaughingWatcher.Jpg

First:
We didn't trust him.....vampires are tricky!

Second:
....how do you even know if the watcher is laughing?!

>We didn't trust him.....vampires are tricky!
>Even listening to the walking corpse, and not stabbing it on sight.
>Watcher keels over from sheer laughter.

>how do you even know if the watcher is laughing?!
It would probably make a rumbling noise similar to an earthquake, or it would pull a Kozilek and everyone would just *feel* it in their chests.

You mean your bog standard "lack of blue sky" night ?
Because we got those almost 24/7 as Travellers and survive pretty well.

>You mean your bog standard "lack of blue sky" night ?
No, I mean "The Sun and Moon as well as all the other stars are literally gone/dead, and eldritch abominations are now gallivanting across the dying ruins of the Earth" style Night.

>not purging the undead abomination on sight.
>can't get tricked if the AIDS ridden bloodsucker is ash.

I bet you don't even pray to a god.

Purging on sight was the plan
Vampires are just tricky

And character doesn't pray to the gods.

Why am I even justifying myself?!
For all I know you might be a vampire!

You watcher guys are assholes!

Well then be more clear qith your questions, also that's still pretty vague... so, maybe ?

We'll light up the night.

Obligatory youtube.com/watch?v=kDqp5RxTUrI

This is not the first thread about this; we been on a kick about Hodgson's Night Land lately.

Now thats way less vague.
The plan is simple, if already on ship, fly away and create jump dimension as soon as possible.
If Not on ship, get to the ship as alive as possbile and do the above.

Yeah, we've had quite a few Night Land threads as of late. Not that I'm complaining.

For a time.

The air is thin but breathable, there is food if you stretch the definition a bit and there is water.

But it's only a matter of time before they run into something unpleasant.

Their only hope for certain long term survival and some measure of a not shit life is inside the Redoubt. Sadly none of them are psychic so none of them will be able to speak the Master Word so the door will not be opened to them.

Maybe they could join the only slightly deformed Humped Men by the Land of Seas and Volcanoes and get a job as a fisherman or a watchman.

More likely they would do something stupid like try and take refuge in the House of Silence or ask one of the man shaped things that wander the roads for directions.

>More likely they would do something stupid like try and take refuge in the House of Silence or ask one of the man shaped things that wander the roads for directions.
That would end terribly, but then again, most parties aren't particularly smart when it comes to detecting Pure Evil Incarnate.

Depend what kind of things lurk in the skies now that the sun has been snuffed out, but otherwise a Lunar-class cruiser seem a rather safe place to be. I doubt most of the shit wandering in the nightlands would fare well against an orbital lance strike.

Considering how thin the air is, your Lunar-class vessel may very well just fall out of the sky. You might also get attacked by Pneumavores such as the Bell Of Darkness, the Lifeless Tree, the Flowers, and others even if you *do* manage to stay airborne. The Watchers might decide to shoot you down as well.

Not that user, but pretty sure that a lunar class cruiser doesn't give a fuck about the thickness of air since it's a space capable vessle in 40K

Mah sci-fi/fa bros.

Well, it's a 5km long space battleship with decameters thick armor, it shouldn't even enter the atmosphere in the first place. That's why it seem like the safest place to be. That, and the gellar field.

Fuck yeah BFG. I imagine of all the possible settings, 40k characters might do okay in the Night Land since they already have experience with soul destroying horrors.

My money is on any group that can jump between dimensions,from settings like 40K and traveller.

You know that shit have really gone south when you're actually safer in the Warp than in realspace

a fellow rogue trader i assume ?

I mean, all life has been snuffed out in the expanse between stars because the dark itself is hungry. And I doubt a Gellar Field would hold out infinitely. Traveling interstellar space in the Nightlands would basically just be travelling through the Warp except without real-space to jump to. And if that Gellar Field was to fail, you are done for.

Remember that the Nightlands already have an intergalactic empire crushed under the eons of time and predation.

But if the warp connects to that place it should be possible to return to the empire of man via the warp.
Also i would think that travellers ended there by some really fucky GM and misjump, there the solution is the same as above.

Reading the version written for normies right now. Patrician status vacated.

The warp does whatever it wants. Entirely possible its a one way trip.

also entirely possible that it isn't.

Just going to mention that the Powers Of Night aren't bound to a single universe, or even a single timeline. Trying to escape them by jumping to another world will just result in them following you back home.

youtube.com/watch?v=XR2oct3zeTM

Yeah, we're good.

Well, they'll have to join the queue of horrors plotting the doom of mankind

The redoubt isn't going to hold out indefinitely either, because eventually the Circle will fail. I imagine a 40k ship would be like a flying redoubt. Yeah eventually something will fail or the power will run out. But it will do for now.

Gotta wonder if Gella Fields would be able to function off of the Earth-Current. Might even bolster the strength of the Field itself if they can.

>Looks like the Zone took a turn for the wierd comrades. Time to do what we do best.
>Cyka.

We do alright for a little while.

I don't know anything about night-lands and OPs intro tells me nothing so how about you guys tell me. Party is for a high level mutants and masterminds game where the players were the modern incarnation of the Celtic goddess Morrigan , a super-powerful Alien psychic shapechanger , A cyborg built with future technology and Huanglong/Koyru the void dragon turned superhero.

AndrewWKsAverageMonday.jpg

Ark Mechanicus that is itself Daemon-possessed, plus the crew of assorted Chaos Champions and the Dark Archmagos. We're just another monster, although we would probably be perfectly safe inside the daemonbote or chilling in the Warp.

Which one is that and which one should I read

Basically the gist of it is this (taken from another poster):
>tl;dr for the setting, it's millions of years in the future, the sun went out millions of years ago, and for millions of years humanity has survived in only one place- the Great Redoubt. The outside is stalked by bizarre creatures and phenomena that mean inevitable death for any who exit, but still occasionally men set out on quixotic quests into the Night Land. There is some evidence that there is some positive force looking out for mankind, but it is weaker and more subtle than the forces of entropy. Mankind has evolved to a near-perfect state of existence and collapsed back into ignorance countless times, all within the confines of this single megastructure. The only tenuous link to the past is a small number of people with the psychic ability to recall their previous reincarnations.

The Night Land, in its original text, is fucking impeniterable. It was written by an author at the turn of the century attempting to replicate the overwrought prose of authors a century before his time and WAY overcompensating. It is, bar none, the most challenging book I have ever read just to parse. That includes compared to reading Middle English with a gloss.

"The Night Land: A Story Retold" is an essentially faithful update of the tale into the format of a modern novel. Originally it was going to be just a linguistic update, but things like dialogue and naming the main character got in as the project took on a life of its own. There are also some small reader culture updates, like the interactions between the Narrator (aka Andros in this version) and Naani coming off more as Hodgson clearly intended than as he wrote them, which read pretty badly.

The imagination of the original is unparalleled, but the new version faithfully recounts much of the description of the Land, which is the best part of the original and the only place where the overwrought language actually seems used well.

As much as I love the original for what it created, I have to recommend the rewrite over it.

It's the one with dialogue. And you should probably read the one with dialogue. You are a pleb for not reading the original, but the original was written by the author in the style of a 17th century nobleman describing his adventures. Oh, and it actually gives the main character a name.

The original is simply 1912's The Night Land, while what is generally considered the "best" way to read it is Goddard's The Night Land, A Story Retold.

Oh, shit, I'd forgotten about the shift to the interactions between those two. The update definitely features less "She was acting oddly, so I beat her and she loved me for it."

What a presumptuous thing to do, changing that. I might switch back to the original but then it's just such a hard read.

Ultimate or Infinite?

What do you mean by this user?

>These sketches by an unknown reader were found in an old copy of The Night Land. They are dated 1921
Amazing.

Personally, though I have only read a few chapters, I somewhat enjoy parsing the original.
Makes me re-read lines and really digest them, normally I consume books quickly, too quickly, and it's nice having a different experience.

nightland.website/index.php/stories/night-land-stories/the-days-of-darkening/11-narcissus

All light in the universe is dead, save for the last bastion of humanity in a land of eternal night. All kinds of monsters and dark powers stalk the night, including ones that can completely destroy you, body and soul. It's always cold, there's no food, the creatures which wander the night are insanely strong and can all be alerted to your presence at the same time, meaning you will basically get zerg rushed by giants, night hounds, all forms of deformed men and even darker powers that want to eat your soul.

This sums up my thoughts on the original perfectly. As cute as some of the romantic interactions with Naani were, it was a complete distraction from the atmosphere of the night land and made the entire novel drag on way too much. When he wasn't talking about fucking Naani and it wasn't the narrator stumbling around in the dark eating pills and drinking some of the water, the novel was great. It's a shame he didn't spend more time focusing on the monsters, evil forces and technology present in the setting.

Damn, I never expected to a see a Night Land thread, that's awesome. I had the opportunity to read it recently (the original) and I fucking loved the setting, once he met Naani and started back though I got pretty bored and abandoned it after a friend who had read the whole thing confirmed they don't go anywhere new and just backtrack. I'm curious what other sorts of things you guys might recommend that have similar quietly oppressive atmospheres.

>Damn, I never expected to a see a Night Land thread
...why? We have these probably once a month.

you could read some of the fan stories on the nightland site. They're a grade above most fanfiction I think.

I don't visit Veeky Forums that often, and I thought the book was more niche than it apparently is.

It's as niche as you think it is, but Veeky Forums is filled with the perfect mixture of autists and people that love interesting settings that make it a pretty regular topic of conversaton.

Even then I wish we had more to talk about. It's like the majority of these threads are either answering questions to people not familiar with the setting or quibbling over details. The story is such that there is a huge list of things the reader would like to read more about but more is never given. What the people of the Redoubt just don't know would fill several volumes larger than what questions Hodsgon presents in his work.

This setting sounds extremely stupid.

So what do you think is in the Unknown Lands?

>The story is such that there is a huge list of things the reader would like to read more about but more is never given.

That's what disappoints me most about the setting. I didn't give a shit about saving the maid. I wanted to know more about the darkness, where it came from, the spooky monsters roaming across the land and those few forces of light which are holding out against the permeating evil consuming the world.

Fate being what it is, a German shell made sure that he would never get a chance to expand on the night lands and all we have to go with are the various interpretations of other authors, which obviously aren't as good and could never come close to the original.

How so?

What is even the things on your pic ?

Just the usual demons of the Night Land. Nothing to be concerned with. Also, here's something for you all:
nightland.website/index.php/stories/night-land-stories/the-days-of-darkening/126-eve-of-evil-part-1

kek

>Planeshift artifact recharges at dawn
FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well. I guess its a quest to the deepest darkest worst part of the place to find the last remnants of sunlight or something.

>Well. I guess its a quest to the deepest darkest worst part of the place to find the last remnants of sunlight or something.
Good luck user. May your almost quads guide you on in your nigh-impossible quest!

I'm taking the following:

Dr. Strange
Ghost Rider
Scarlet Witch
Silver Surfer
Thor

Sadly the only expansion we've got is fanfiction and House on the Borderland which seems to be operating under similar universe rules.

They would probably survive for about a week at most. With any luck, they can last two weeks before they stir up the hornet's nest of Evil Powers.

The translator must have had a blast.

But as fanfics go it's actually not bad. I might even go as far as to say quite good and enhances slightly the source material it is lovingly based off of rather than debasing it.

Sort of the opposite of what fanfics usually do.

we can survive the chaos wastes, i dont see why not

That's true. I don't have any issue with the supplemental stuff. I just would have liked more primary source information. Like the Historia regum Britanniae is great but it would be nice to have primary source books from the time it talks about as well without the distortion of a secondary source.

What would a Paladin sense if he casts detect evil in the Nightland?

yes

It frequently does. So yes i guess so

loled
also there is any system based in the night land?