I'm going to be doing a game in "not-Ancient-Egypt" because one of my players really likes the setting...

I'm going to be doing a game in "not-Ancient-Egypt" because one of my players really likes the setting, but I don't really know much besides the basic stuff.
I think it's going to be a stereotypical "storm the pyramid dungeon with its monsters and traps", but I need ideas for monsters and shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-amonkhet-2017-07-05
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nilometer
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

scarabs all up in that shit

How ancient? There's a whoooooole lot of room for Egypt, the pyramids at Giza were as old during Roman rule as republican Rome is now.

There was a thread a month or two ago about converting the Giza complex to a megadungeon, it may also help if you find it in archives.

The burial chambers in the pyramids have several 20cm x 20cm tunnels aligned with stars.
The interior of these tunnels are painted.

We have sent robots in but do not know much about them, because they are also booby-trapped.

WE

Not here.

I would suggest monstrous versions of animals that already exist in that region.
Crocodiles, and Hippopotamuses are obvious choices (even completely normal hippos would be a good choice), there are plenty of snakes in the region, and some of the birds (like the shoebill) are pretty sinister looking.

Try looking some mythological creatures from their culture, that'd be good for monsters (scaling may be required)

this. way more interesting than animated mummies and anubis monsters episode #3842

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-amonkhet-2017-07-05

Not historical egypt but a lot of egypt flavor

If you want to spice it up a bit in case the other players want a bit more variety than "X Earth culture, but fantasy," consider adding Mesoamerican and Cambodian influences. Both were also really big on pyramid-building and cults around the divinity of the monarch.

I don't know why but I had a serious chuckle reading this exchange

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nilometer

>not-Ancient-Egypt
>I think it's going to be a stereotypical "storm the pyramid dungeon with its monsters and traps"
How to waste setting in two simple steps

>storm the pyramid dungeon
>it's a single hallway, with a couple of bends and some air vents
>the pictures are nice and colorful though
>the traps rotted away a couple of dynasties ago, all the monsters are long dead or have fucked off
>it'll probably take a couple of weeks for the lads to chisel out the huge stone block covering the doorway to the inner sanctum with the treasure
>each day, you have a 20% chance of aggravating your asthma from all the dust, causing fits of coughing until you spend a couple of hours outside

I'm really tempted to shitpost about We Wuz Kangs and Sheit.

I3-I5 Desert of Desolation.
Gygax's Necropolis.
GURPS Egypt.
Stygia - Serpent of the South.
Valley of the Pharaohs.
Lord Meren books.
Osprey Egyptian books.

you could send the players to the underworld because of some McGuffin, where'd they meet Osiris and his weird pet monster who eats the hearts of bad people

If you wanna complete the played-out trifecta, add a single mummy. Pretty weak, but gets back up a turn later ad infinitum with +1 to all stats per resurrection.

Make it so that the Phaoroh was a Lich, and finding his jars of body parts and placing them on golden scales throughout the dungeon weakens him.
I’d also make a fungus that attatches to the individual stone blocks of the dungeon, making it proto-sentient. Have it change the solutions to puzzles and block exits by moving the walls, floors, and ceilings around when it detects light.

Thanks for all the replies, its giving me a lot of ideas!

I think there'll be some greco-roman mythological stuff in there as well

thats cool shit

Monstrous animals will be great. I also totally forgot how important the rivers were to egyptian culture. Thats another whole angle to consider. A riverboat adventure?

fucking sweet, gonna steal lots of that

I think I'm going to keep it simple for now. It sounds dumb to type it out, but I like the stereotypical fantasy settings (especially when my game is pretty light hearted and prone to light satire). But cambodia pyramids in an "orient" type game would be pretty cool.

oh man thats cool.

exactly why I came to you guys

will check out

I like the lich body parts idea
And I really like the living pyramid idea

Thanks again everyone

>I also totally forgot how important the rivers were to egyptian culture.
Basically the worst possible event for a not!ancient Egyptian society is the not!Nile fails to flood. So having that be the ultimate outcome of the PC's failing their quest is pretty good if you want to have high stakes but not anything apocalyptic.

GOOLD?

Nothing to jaffa kree about.

People with gold blood that are being hunted.

You know what to do

>delicious brown Egyptian cat girls

I do believe that is actually a tan Asian girl.

Important detail: the tomb robbers were *always* the tomb builders, since they knew all the passages.
Come up with a reason for why they haven't looted it yet.

>Come up with a reason for why they haven't looted it yet.
the Pharoah qho had it built was especially brutal and particular about stopping looters. So he had the builders entombed alive in the entry complex, to awaken as undead guardians to thwart robbers.

I like this idea. Even better if they aren't just mindless undead but keep all their knowledge of the layout to better hunt town defilers.

>add a single mummy. Pretty weak, but gets back up a turn later ad infinitum with +1 to all stats per resurrection.
why not the other way around?

How egyptian do you want it to be? Knowing quiet a bit about egyptology i might be able to help, A time frame would be good too but not necessary (Mainly due to religious and super-stitions, and scripture changed a lot)

Aten is a greek god, The god of the sun would either be portrayed as Ra, Amun-Ra or Khepri.

Aten was a native Egyptian sun deity dating back to at least 2000BC. At this time, proto-Greeks were only migrating to Greece proper and Crete and hadn't even invented writing. Likewise, 700 years later during the rule of Akhenaten, the Myceneans had no corresponding deity.

You are correct (in a sense), i am not really able to think clearly. So i don't think i should post more today.

At the end of the campign, white devil comes and steals all your culture and accomplishments.

Space aliens because you know like the big pyramids are aligned like orion's belt and are a homage to our alien overlords

And because stargates

If your looking for more modern high fantasy inspiration check out the Mummy's Mask adventure path from Paizo.

Flying pyramids, all kinds of neat monsters, interesting gear, and a bunch of info on a high fantasy version of Egypt.

You might find some inspiration in the Egypt sections of Masks of Nyarlathotep for CoC.

It's got a pretty horrify-ingly mazey dungeon that connects multiple above-ground pyramids. And scary animal-men cult servants.

Bumping with cool random stuff.