Which 40k army do you think would make the best facsimile for a modern army...

Which 40k army do you think would make the best facsimile for a modern army? Something utilizing modern/advanced warfare tactics?

I'm thinking of assembling a more "realistic" (as far as 40k can go) list, focused around contemporary warfare tactics. I'd be interested in what people have to weight in - I know not all methods of modern war are the same, so it's good to have some variety.

That said, I was expecting some standards to crop up, like a focus on ranged/mechanized over assault, flexible command, and elite trailblazers.

I was thinking Imperial Guard, obviously, but they seem a bit too Napoleonic and numerous, while some less choppy Space Marine lists might work as well. Maybe even Tau. What do you guys think? Aesthetics don't really matter, but I feel like walkers/plasma/psykers might be out of place. How would you best go about this? I'm interested in the discussion as much as the result. I understand we're sort of between 7th and 8th still, but give it your best go!

Other urls found in this thread:

warhammer40kfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_40k_fanon:How_to_make_a_fanon_Imperial_Guard_Regiment
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Something utilizing modern/advanced warfare tactics?
No such thing exists in 40k. The best you'll ever get is WWI tactics.

IG Vets/Stormtroopers (tempestus scions, whatever) probably fit the best - still human, but making common use of mechanized infantry (including not!MRAPs) and airborne.

The TS fit more for operators, while vets work if you want to account for heavy stuff

Only aerial type (air cavalry/paratrooper/air drop whatever) modern warfare exists: Militarum Tempestus and Elysian Drop Troops.

Imperial Guard, Space Marines, or Tau would probably work best. All of them can have mechanized infantry with armoured support.

>The best you'll ever get is WWI tactics
you dropped your extra I.

Literally any army can function in a facsimile of modern earth tactics - that's half the point of 40k,
That said, Astra Militarum or T'au would be your best bet.

>T'au

Please refer to me by my name when you talk to me - I am Shas'ui T'auva, and I sexually identify as one of the mighty T'au, far cleverer than us with their superior Greater Good.
For the Greater Good!

>Tau are just the japs in space
DONE

In the sense of combined arms I think the Tau would best fit the bill
They are all about units working together to get the best results
Effective use of officers in the field
The battlesuits being focused around lightning strikes for the most part
Focus on fighting at a distance instead of melee
Only the fact that they use mecha's (they look cool, but wouldn't work as well as a normal tank obviously)

IG is your best bet. mechanized infantry, tank squadrons, paratroops, and best of all a shoot army that makes use of a command structure.

space marines wouldn't fit well due to their preference for melee, take it or leave it attitude with transports, and tactics that aren't "kill it so hard it dies to death"

Tau are a close second, but due to their effectiveness suffering with the lack of battle suits and lack of most other functions of a modern army I would advise against.

ignoring all this why is this even being asked? the point of 40k is to have sweet ass grimdark sci Fi shit like robo zombies space bugs and giant power armored maniacs with equally large guns.

I always imagined them as chinks in space, due to space sun tzu and the commie shtick

>why is this even being asked

For the perverse joy of watching an army of superhuman daemon-men being killed by what is effectively SEAL Team 6 with artillery/air support. The reason most people like Guard.

Armaggedon's a good choice, since they practice modern mechanized warfare instead of the retarded shit the other excuses for guardsmen use

>le soviet human wave meme

>entire society is based explicitly on classes
>communist

The "Elysian Drop Troops" and Harakoni, there are all kinds of regiment in the guard

Armegeddon and the flyboy planets are both looking good. Anybody know anything concerning the crunch? Which have good regiment tactics?

Also props to the Guardsmen fans pulling through. None of that “it can’t be done” bullshit.

You can make your own regiment actually, warhammer40kfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_40k_fanon:How_to_make_a_fanon_Imperial_Guard_Regiment

Reminder that black library wrote a book with a straw man 20th century world to knock down, where space marines matrix-dodge special forces, take Abrams shots, punch said Abrams in half, and destroy the world's government by teleporting terminators into the UN.

>i think you're lying so I'll just use le ebin "citation needed" meme

Call of the Lion, Horus Heresy series.

it's a good thing that they're using outdated weaponry and equipment then

I meant in terms of rules. Like which regiment tactics to use.

Yes, but I’m talking tabletop. Are you one of those people like Chaos players who whenever they lose go “yeah but Chaos wins in the end anyways”? I dont care about the details of the lore. Any army can beat any other army if you play with enough skill, ideally, it doesn’t matter what the lore says.

The

Imperial

Guard

Someone I knew used an IG resembling Modern Day US Army/Marines - Merikan Fusiliers, having been formed inTerra, when it had seas. Their symbol (and tattoo) was something a LOT like the US Marine/Navy logo, but replace the circular bit with an image of Terra (before it got turned into a Hive). iirc a friend of theirs made them, too, or it was something Veeky Forums made.

I didn't interact with them in the RP I had set up - the person who WAS a Merikan got shunted into a Penal Legion for cowardice (read: got seperated from his unit, captured by Dark Eldar, was tortured, got abandoned when they got bored, swam and ran three days back to his unit... right into the Commisar), but I remember an autogun and a bolt pistol.

I also wrote up something involving modern-day US drill instructors being Commisars, wearing goofy fucking multi-cam coats, ordering dirtbags to do push ups until their arms literally fell off.

Skitarii cameo :3

I have never wanted to fuck a cyborg more.

Well, I have...