How the fuck in any setting can a peasant look at this and be okay with it?

How the fuck in any setting can a peasant look at this and be okay with it?

Why would a DM even allow this or another over the top race?

They aren't, and they have to deal with it.

Depends on the setting.

A peasant doesn't have to be okay with it. They're peasants. Playing those sorts of races/interacting with them is all the more fun when they're actually prejudiced when appropriate.

Because she kinda looks like my foreign mate Da've, and he's a nice guy.

>How the fuck in any setting can a peasant look at this and be okay with it?
They're not. That's why Tieflings face the kind of discrimination they do.

>implying the lone goat farmer wouldn't want to upgrade to tiefling ass in an instant
Shit setting desu

Because horned girls are cuties and anyone who has a problem with them is in the wrong.

Like the peasants are ones to talk.

>looks up
>looks down
>looks up again
How could you not be okay with it.

depends how common they are.

How common is demon rape in your setting?

here's a groundbreaking concept: "depends on the setting" also involves where a race comes from
in my setting, tieflings are constructs from a benevolent goddess and people are okay with them

>be me, Shepard.
>spend months, years, with nothing but sheep
>NOTHING. BUT. SHEEP.
>One day, woman comes by. Has horns. has hooves. is sheep woman.
>Goddess of Sheep has blessed me for my faithful tending of the sheep!
>holyboner.illumination
>share simple food and drink with her. blurt out she's beautiful
>oh fug, what did I do.
>she blushes, gets shy, thanks me. pulls out winesack, cheese, even starts a fire with magic.
>pull out wool blankets, get comfey
>make love.
>mfw six months later have magical sheep-woman wife.

/thread

Oh, you know Da've too? How's he doing this time o' year

I cried. One man living the dream.

Sounds magical user

This is adorable

Hey, who said peasants can't get a happy ending? Well done, user.

You can't really think too hard about peasant life in RPGs, ESPECIALLY in D&D

Otherwise you start thinking "How can peasants even exist when literally everything in the world can and will fuck them up, including a single housecat"

>he's never run into a lvl 100 peasant

>Immortal's Handbook peasant
>+300 to grooming the fuck out of those crops

Being disliked by peasants doesn't mean a race isn't appropriate as a player character. Like, maybe prejudice can be a thing in the game world and be something you can actually roleplay about instead of having people react to everyone the same way like you're in a half-assed video game.

>being okay with any kind of foreigner coming to your lands, let alone a literal demon-spawn
Keep yourself safe

because as long as the setting has pancakes, the common peasant knows the forces of hell can be subdued.

Better question: Why do mundane peasants exist in the same world as spellcasters? Why isn't all work performed by mindless undead or bound outsiders or rendered irrelevant through magic?

Over the top is relative to the setting you mong.

Only setting i could see them as being accepted is Eberron, due to the last war pretty much shocking anyone not an ass backward peasant into acceptance.

Unfortunately, tieflings are from a place so ill named you wouldn't trust an inhabitant to make you a sandwich, much less camp and explore ruins with.

>every other peasant could btfo the campaign bbeg but need to manage their crops

Clearly. No tits, no service.

>Can't appreciate a man experiencing true love

>bbeg

disgusting.

itt people that don't know how tieflings work complain about how tieflings work

you all right?

>Peasant
M'lord?

>this just in:
>anything go's in the land of make believe

In settings where some peasants look like that.

>you will never have a campaign of lvl 100 Amish peasants having the chance to take down evil, but refusing because there's a barn raising and butter to churn.
why play?

Years ago when I first played the video game Neverwinter Nights, there was a tiefling character in one of the expansion pack campaigns that imo pulled off how a tielfling should fit into the ecosystem of a setting. She and her crew spent their time skulking around the edges of civilization in a sparsely populated region of the world, using their magic to seize control of small communities of primitive monster races which they then used as proxies to interact with more advanced cultures. After you finish her quest, she cheerfully admits that she has to kill you to hide the fact that something like her even exists in the world. Her personality is mostly just generic cartoon villain stuff, but she did have an air of desperation, grubby poverty, and stubborn pride about her that I liked, even if these elements weren't well developed.

Imo having tieflings be a normal but shunned part of society(i.e. an option for a playable character) diminishes them into being yet another boring race suffering from unfair prejudice. They as a concept are better off being secretive fugitives who lurk in the hidden places of the world practicing forgotten magic and interacting mostly with hermits and adventurers. Maybe the odd one who can pass as human becomes a court wizard like Merlin did in the King Arthur stories, but I don't think that should be too common.

Are tiefling threads a new form shitposting?

I have a lot of trouble reconciling this in my own settings. Dragonborn aren't as likely to have freakouts because they're very small and don't have wings, so they're clearly not a real dragon. Something like a Drow or a Genesi looks weird, but is essentially just a black elf or a person with flaming hair. They don't look like anything to be scared of unless a person knows what they are.

A tiefling though? You either get the same reaction as the Drow where the peasants are heavily backwards and don't even know what he is, or you get peasents who know enough about the world to know what the common traits of Devils are, and at that point you have a situation similar to the Dragonborn, save for the fact that the only difference between a Tiefling and your average demon is that the Tiefling wears clothes and isn't killing everyone (yet), which should skip past the step of general racism and go right to people either fleeing for their lives or forming a mob to kill them, depending on how strong they think the average demon is.

It's very hard to justify any sort of middle-ground where tieflings are hated but not killed on sight. And if you're playing tieflings without that then why bother playing them at all? A Fire Genesi would be the same if you just want to have ancestry from another plane and shoot fire without anybody caring.

have you conceded getting medical help

Depends on your setting. You know hell and demons don't have to be a universal concept, right?

>(i.e. an option for a playable character)
What else are they supposed to be?

>tieflings are bad but dragonborn, Drow , Genesi are okay.

This makes this thread worth it.

I explained why if you actually read my post, but sure

They aren't. Thieflings are treated like shit for being demonspawn.

NPCs

I'm not a fan of exotic races like tieflings and dragonborn being playable for the most part because ime they make the entire setting less immersive, but that's just me, I don't expect everyone to conform to my taste

If you don't mind me asking, why does it make it less immersive for you?

By having trade and other races be a known, if rare, thing. Yesterday a pack of 4 foot tall rats tried to sell us fancy clay tableware off a flying carpet, two years before a man with grey skin and no eyes came through town and worked the farm for a day's pay. Who gives a fuck if Shen'Iah has horns and hooves? Just have the guards tail her, the local holy man cast detect evil, and the merchants price gouge her.

praise the sheep-goddess wife!

>you are a peasant
>New neighbors moved into the plot of land next to you
>Weird folk
>A normal guy, and his tiefling wife and kids
>Man insists his wife is a minor deity of sheep
>Still debating if you should tell him or let him be happy.

>Every tiefling looks exactly the same the post

There are usually a bunch of different traits to choose from and it is pretty easy to make a tiefling that looks innocuous.

1. Six fingers on each hand
2. No reflection in mirrors

I hate it when people focus on stupid minor nitpicks about a setting when there are far more significant questionable details.

I don't know what is happening in the world, but everybody does suddenly seem to have a lot of time to devote to hating tiefling's.

I just find it silly to have all these brightly colored reptiles and devil-horned dudes traipsing around the countryside and interacting with a population of normal humans like it's nbd. I also find it silly to have a setting where brightly colored reptile and devil men are common enough for it to not be silly for them to routinely interact socially with the human population.

It's just a preference thing for me. I like low magic settings where the exotic and supernatural elements are more on the rare side and your average random npc isn't used to dealing with them. When the exotic elements are common and mundane to the point where farmers treat literal demon spawn like they're just an unpopular ethnic minority, I feel that the setting becomes less grounded.

yeah, but that was all in 3.5, and everyone really got introduced to them in 4.0 where they were all pretty much "devil-humans" which was sad. then 5.0 rolled around and they were shoved off to the side again so we never got a cool time for tieflings.

>be peasant
>if tell humble shepherd that sheep-goddess wife is devil, ruin happy home. have demon woman come kill you
>if not tell, shepherd have happy life with sheep-goddess wife. maybe give you some lamb for your table and wool for your clothes.
>what do?

>disgusting
Why waste the letters when you could have just typed "ugh"?

>this just in
>an apostrophe doesn't mean "LOOK OUT HERE COME'S AN S"

>I have a lot of trouble reconciling this in my own settings. Dragonborn aren't as likely to have freakouts because they're very small and don't have wings, so they're clearly not a real dragon. Something like a Drow or a Genesi looks weird, but is essentially just a black elf or a person with flaming hair. They don't look like anything to be scared of unless a person knows what they are. A tiefling though?
Yeah, no. This is retarded. The entire basis for fear is that they look dangerous and alien. Hell, most of those could be mistaken for a tiefling or other sort of demon-miscellaneous creature, by anyone who doesn't know much beyond the local three village area.

But why should that exclude them from being PCs? I don't understand why you think adventurers are supposed to be "just normal guys".

Hell, pun definitely intended, tieflings probably have MORE reason to become adventurers than your average human, pointy-eared human, or short drunk human, seeing as they can't really make a living any other way.

>Like the peasants are ones to talk.

>Orcish peon starts asking questions, refuse your race service, etc.
>Give him a swift backhand, tell the miserable peon to still his tongue and do his miserable job or you'll cut it out and make him eat it.
>Orcish peon has a "we're not so different you and I" moment and you're accepted for your participation in orcish culture.

I'm not saying Drow, Genesi, or Dragonborn are going to be winning any awards for beauty pageants or anything. Mainly just that their weird-looking nature has them resembling other things only distantly. They're not going to be liked, but they're probably not going to be shot on sight unless somebody knows what a Drow is.

Meanwhile, a Tiefling probably looks like a dead ringer for the stereotypical depiction of a Devil on the Church's stain-glass windows. Most people aren't smart enough to know the vast array of weird ways a demon can look, but again, if you get a group that insular it raises the question of why you're bothering with Tieflings at all if their demonic nature doesn't even matter.

No, I firmly disagree. A random peasant would in fact mistake those others for demons just as likely as they are to call a tiefling a demon.

>implying illiterate people are going to bother reading that colour coded autism chart
you're just as retarded

Yeah, no. When pic related drawn crudely in a the not!bible is probably the most any peasant has seen of what any sort of devil or demon looks like, the guy with Red skin and horns is going to be ringing quite a few more alarm bells in their mind.

Sure, some D&D Devils look like giant blue insects, but you're crazy if you think the Tiefling appearance isn't gonna be screaming 'Hey I'm Satan' to everyone they meet.

Yeah, a dragonborn looks like that just as much as a tiefling, set it on fire as it is in many depictions and you have a fire genasi.

>Why would a DM even allow this or another over the top race?

Wouldn't a peasant openly mistake a tiefling for a feyish creature first and not immediately go to "DEMON!! DEEEEMON!!!" ala mermaid man, if only because they've SEEN satyrs before? Like, we're not dealing with 'ordinary' peasants if there's tieflings running about, we're dealing with >fantasy peasants, whom have to worry about griffons flying off with their sheep and dryads seducing all the good men in the village.

It's fine to admit you're wrong user. Most people can identify something by shape as well as just color

To be fair, it depends entirely on the local religion. A village whose only major temple is dedicated to some grain god probably doesn't focus a whole lot on things that aren't grain.

At which point the people there have 0 idea what a demon would even look like, so why are we bothering with the idea that a demon-blooded race would be commonly prejudiced against?

I'll settle for continuing to think you're an idiot without any concept of how people think, thanks.

Hey, if you've got a solution that isn't 'make peasants even dumber' I'm all ears.

The player handbook for e5 says that those who live in the city usually end up as thieves and swindlers in the roughest sections and that most tielfings, although they are not necessarily drawn there, end up as evil. I think they would be stigmatized by this alone, besides the fact that they are stylized as demon people with pointy teeth.

user, at this point I think you would completely fail the most basic autism test. You know, the one where the autist can't fathom that other people have different information and think in different ways than he does.

But if you want a retardedly simplistic answer to your dilemma, then just throw out the idea of your not-bible depictions of demons. There you go, all you're left with is fantasy racism.

It's not for them.

Plan for the future, user.

It's all one user that shoves his fingers in his ears anytime you try to tell him how tieflings actually work. He hates dragonborn and drow too.
Maybe if I tend my flock well, and am true and just, one day goddess will gift me beautiful goat wife.

In my setting theyd probably bbe wary but wouldnt care unoess they starts shit.

>You know, the one where the autist can't fathom that other people have different information and think in different ways than he does.

Sorry if I didn't call you retarded enough times to make it clear that we disagree on this point. You know my problem stems from the fact that peasants in a setting specifically WOULD have different information than me, since they don't have a book that identifies the differences between a Tiefling and a Demon?

>then just throw out the idea of your not-bible depictions of demons. There you go, all you're left with is fantasy racism.

Which is what I said in the first place. No point in using Tieflings if you're not going to have demons be a relatively known factor. Better off just using that other weird interplanar race that can freak out some untrained peasants.

>It's very hard to justify any sort of middle-ground where tieflings are hated but not killed on sight.
Not really because anyone that thinks they are devils will assume that they have devil magic. Most people don't start shit with someone they think could kill them with a snap of their fingers.

>goat legs

>You know my problem stems from the fact that peasants in a setting specifically WOULD have different information than me, since they don't have a book that identifies the differences between a Tiefling and a Demon?
And yet your entire dilemma is based on the fact that you're *marrried* to those peasants having the same concept of tieflings and demons as you do, and furthermore those concepts are so incredibly narrow that they can absolutely tell the difference between a tiefling and other demonic-looking humanoids.

Yeah, nah, you really haven't thought this one through, have you.

>No point in using Tieflings if you're not going to have demons be a relatively known factor.
Wait, you moron...
>Better off just using that other weird interplanar race that can freak out some untrained peasants.
Christ. I couldn't make this shit up if I tried.

Which as I pointed out, means they're probably just going to flee in terror instead.

Alright. Whatever. You got me. Have a (you) for your troubles you autist

I don't know if I'm quoting the right anons, but I disagree that peasants wouldn't be upset about Dragonborn.
I actively think Dragonborn would actually draw more ire and offense from peasants than a Tiefling on the grounds that peasants would have to more commonly deal with dragons than actual demons in their day to day lives. Demons are typically subtle, they follow rules, they can even be reasoned, bargained with, in stories can be controlled, tricked, and even dominated by truly sacred men who walk the path of god(s) and are personally more interested in corrupting and perverting rulers, righteous men, heroes, etc.. They don't usually give a shit about farmers.

Dragons on the other hand would be a very real and very experienced disaster where in normal, smelly, peasants would be regularly victimized. Dude, user, fuckin' dragons would, just, it wouldn't even be REAL Dragons: you'd get drakes, cockatrices, wyverns, even just a fucking pterodactyl flying in from the not-meditarian and it'd just glide in during the summer or something and fly off with your fucking livestock.. And everything just gets worse from there because father mcferguson goes over to try and banish the fucking dinosaur by using the power of god and gets himself fucking EATEN because it's just a dumb animal with no spiritual alignment.

If I were a dumb, ignorant, fantasy peasant I'd be super racist against anything even remotely reptilian. Fuck reptiles.

Just don't play with Tieflings then? Doesn't seem very difficult.

good point user.

Luckily all my players are human, or at least I think they are.

horns seem like it'd make brushing hair harder but make driving with the windows down easier.

Probably makes it hard to find a hat. Getting that shit custom made can be expensive.

Wouldn't that be aasimar then?

Or are you changing it so that fiendish lower planes corruption can/would be manifested in good divines?

If so, you're misusing the fundamental blacks and whites of D&D cosmology and your input isn't really relevant to this thread

like, a baseball cap cut up... or with a funny T shape bill would work.

or like... a rasta hat

That's a fucking solid argument.

brb rolling up a Tiefling version of a Rastafarian

And yet there is a vast difference between a dragonborn and a fuck huge fire breathing lizard that terrifies everyone, including the dragonborn. And why would dragonborn, who are known for having had a massive ancient empire at one point, be considered freakish, when humanity and peasants have been dealing with these people for many many centuries. Peasants of our world dealt with all kinds of people from far away lands without being homicidal fucksticks; what makes an ancient peoples known across the world any different just because they happen to be a bit lizardy in appearance?

And those peasants probably know enough about dragons and pterodactyls to tell the difference between them, especially if they are a fairly common occurrence. They weren't dumb, just lacking in much of the knowledge we take for granted. Their own history and knowledge of the region will be just as great as what we would have for our home towns, probably greater due to being usually tight knit communities.

There is a huge range of ways in which people would react to a race of lizardy individuals and the most common wont necessarily be immediate lynching and death. In addition, since these peasants aren't Christians, their religious teachings and what is considered a thing to be killed on site will be very different from our world. You're assuming these are literal medieval peasants with all the cultural trappings of such. For all you know they could have a shrine to the Good Dragon God of Protection Bahamut right alongside the shrine to the Grain God Pelor. After all protection from things is a fairly important thing to have in a chaotic and dangerous world like those in D&D. A dragonborn showing up might be seen as a blessing, a sign from Bahamut of good things to come, especially if that dragonborn shows up wearing his holy symbol.

FPBP

Tieflings with a human tongue, pointy reptilian tongue, a snake's forked tongue?

CAT TONGUE