/l5rg/ - Legend of the 5 Rings General

>USEFUL RESOURCES & LINKS FOR THE RPG (OLD AND NEW)

Rulebooks:
mediafire.com/folder/icjb615izaw31/L5R

The FF Beta:
images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/dc/2f/dc2f92bb-bfd2-4f12-99eb-1d084491de65/l5r00_beta_rulebook.pdf

>USEFUL RESOURCES & LINKS FOR THE FF LCG

Tabletop Simulator Mod - steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1099785017

Ringteki (Browser based game client) - mahois.fun/

Card Database / Deck Builder - fiveringsdb.com/

TTS Deck Converter - infamous-irc.com/dengeki/l5r-deck-generator/

Current Card Rulings - docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MSIQHAJmfSMKk1RJmzuF_3Mtmav8ZRy8-LDXSbXCQAE/edit#gid=722499072

This Paste: pastebin.com/0JF6Acgv

When is he comming back tg? Pls, I need him

Another FATE thingy here.

>Blessed Wind
>Range: Personal
>Action: Create an advatnage
>The Aspect [Buffeting Winds] is created and can be invoked while defending against non-magical ranged attacks as magical ranged attacks pierce through the winds.

...And I'm already tired of spells. Halp.

Hopefully never. The Spider are pure cancer.

Post Clan you're repping and your Location.

Unicorn, Western Australia.

Whats a good starting ring count for a Kakita Duelist?

It is less Ring count and more stats in general. At a bare minimum a starting Kakita should have:

Awareness - 3
Reflexes - 3
Void -3
Iaijutsu - 3
Luck - 1

So right away you've spent 38/55 points. Though really you should get Luck 3 as re-rolls are super strong in a duel.

I also am For the Khan! St Louis, MO USA.

For the Hare! Hippity hop!
Or if you only want Great Clans;
Khan man, best man.

Southeastern Sweden

Thanks!

Should I start off with air and fire rings on 3? Or save the xp for skills?

Mantis?

With that build you already have Air at three (Awareness and Reflexes). Fire really doesn't matter though taking it to three is pretty efficient exp:insight as a Kakita bushi from the Kakita family will have an Agility of three and will just need the Intelligence to hit Fire three. After that raising Fire is pretty immaterial. Personally I would push Air and Void to four and Iaijutsu to five before upping Intelligence. Depending on the campaign, I might even be picking up Perception three and pushing Earth to three as well.

Mantis, SoCal. Fuck Shawn Carmen and John Zinzer for enabling him.

Crab here, from the Eastern Burgerlands.

Crab, gay area CA

My core sets are supposed to arrive today and it's the first time I'm doing anything l5r, so I'm pretty hyped.

Most important thing to consider when purchasing skills: What are you going to be doing when you're NOT fighting a duel?

If you're going to be at Court, Yojimboing for some courtier, you'll want (aside from the few ranks of Etiquette and Courtier you took because you're a Crane and you can have a civil and engaging conversation dammit.) Some Artisan, Lore, and/or Games can help you remain fairly active in the courts.

Working with Magistrates? Lore:Law, in case you need to know the limits of YOUR authority when the party is split, of course Investigation, and some intimidation so can play Bad Cop.

And don't forget your ride. Oh, if mass battles are going to be a thing, you may want Tactician and a few ranks of battle to help you hunt down the Duel results.

Lion, in the Bay of Gay

Scorpion, Baja

Scorpion, Pacific NW.

This shit is why I'm kinda happy the new edition it letting you duel with any ring rather than requiring basically everything.

>requiring everything
Dueling is literally Air (Reflexes and Awareness), Void, and a Single skill. In 4e the Air ring is the most powerful ring, it covers most social skills, archery, initiative, and covers the lion's share of your TN to be Hit, so it is not like you investing in garbage stats. Void is good for everything and my suggestion of the Luck advantage also is a good general purpose advantage. Being a strong skirmish bushi requires more than being a good duelist because you have to worry about taking hits (so you need Earth), avoiding hits/shooting bows/going first (there's Reflexes), hitting in melee (Agility), multiple skills (melee weapon skill, ranged weapon skill, Defense), a good amount of Void points and having the ability to even attempt higher raise maneuvers requires a decent Void, and there are so many useful advantages you'll have to weigh. The fact that most characters need/want good stats in multiple rings is a strength of the system.

You can take your shitty snowflake dice game and shove up into your festering pit.

Scorpion, Colorado

Lion, Queensland

Crab, Rhode Island, USA

>You can take your shitty snowflake dice game and shove up into your festering pit.

Jesus, that's a hostile response. The new system looks far from perfect but it looks pretty decent so far.

>Horse Necromancy
>Decent

You mean a setting where spirits are actively a thing could have people interact with the spirits of such? The Kitsune and Lion have been interacting with spirits (Of animals and humans respectively) for damnwell ever.

It's also rank 6, at the same level a Scorpion gets 'I kill 1 minion a turn, no roll needed', a Kakita is Nothing Personaling archers and a Crab Bushi can eat multiple cannon shots and stay standing. Rank 6 stuff is very much on the 'Your stuff has gotten so impressive it's basically supernatural' level.

Like I implied, it is shit. Go play Exalted if you want that garbage. At least Exalted doesn't have DRM built into it.

Crane

Sydney, Australia

Exalted? The Kitsune and Lion have been doing that, in setting, forever.

DRM? You know that back of the book has 'How to use a D6/d12 without buying any dice'

People have had supernatural powers to their Techniques since 1e, so I don't know where you're coming from.

Also has it at the front of all their books

He’s just a crybaby bitch, ignore him.

>Go play Exalted if you want that garbage.

Ah yes. Like 'See through all illusions, disguises and deception due to how powerful your sense of duty is' or 'Stab ghosts to death'. Wait, no. that's an Imperial and a Minor Clan Bushi in 4e.

Lets not forget 1e Kakita “literally bend reality with your art” artistan

>Cranes and Phoenix's playing Dishonor decks
>Scorps playing aggro control

What world is this.

reminder that in Nu5R you can use iaijutsu with a naginata.

That sounds badass and very fitting for a Daidoji or Shiba. More shit needs to work with multiple weapons.

It can work with any weapon. A water opportunity with any artisan skill allows you to grant razor-edged to any item. You can iaijutsu with a tetsubo if you'd like, or a yumi.

>You can iaijutsu with a tetsubo if you'd like

Wouldn't a razor edge tetsubo be a Macuahuitl? Better hope that's jade, not obsidian.

Obsidian works just fine, you just need to be really careful with it and gamble that it isn't tainted by Lord Moon's Curse.

But only if you have it in a sheathe.

Same thing with a yumi or tetsubo iajutsu - possible, but only if you've got it in your yumi sheathe or tetsubo sheathe.

Mantis, Glasgow Scotland

(Crane in the LCG )

Crab, Melbourne Australia

Unicorn, Southwest Texas

But you can't ready a naginata, tetsubo, yari, otsuchi, staff, yumi or crossbow in a one-handed grip.

Not with that attitude.

It's not attitude, it is actual understanding of the rules. The Iaijutsu kata's primary effect is "You draw and ready the sheathed weapon in a one-handed grip." If you can't ready the weapon in a one handed grip nothing happens.

I find it oddly interesting when, in the midst of all the stuff that "can't happen", one quibbles over a specific detail.

So what you're telling me is, I gotta shorten the stick and make a sheath for it.

But then it's just a wakizashi.

I was trying to correct a false "fact" about what the new L5R beta allows players to do.

Rules currently do not have a stat line for the thing you adapted that Naginata into.

We will likely be waiting 3 weeks (Week of Nov 13) before they actually focus on the weapon rules. On the other hand we will likely be getting a Fox, Mantis or Sparrow school this week.

Personally, I'd rather see them ditch the idea of a weapon list entirely, in favour of a weapon tag list, sort of like the special equipment qualities they already have, but each defining a style of weapon when paired.

Sorta like LOTW? Where you pick a few tags and they affect your weapon? Like Massive/Saber is a huge sword or Paired/Ranged could be throwing knives etc?

Is it always better to have a minimum size conflict deck for consistency, or is more than 40 fine and you can bid more aggressively without worrying about deck out as much? My instinct is to go with the former, but I'm seeing lists tournament lists with more than 40.

I can see Scorpion getting away with larger decks, but other than just having a lot of good cards -

No, minimum is synonymous with optimum.
If you play Unicorn, it will soon be below minimum due to their filter holding.

Spider are shit but Sohei are goat

they need to add them as some kind of splinter sect

Exactly what I was thinking of.

Plus, it sidesteps the stupid Zanbatō/Nodachi (or Japanese/Chinese weapons) wobblefest people are having over the beta.

>wanting hard grounded realism
>l5r

>You can iaijutsu with a tetsubo if you'd like
CRAB DUELIST FUCK YEAH

>Macuahuitl
EVEN MORE FUCK YEAH

>I gotta shorten the stick and make a sheath for it.
the chinks actually did this, it's called a Pu Dao

Sohei exist in the Brotherhood of Shinsei, they just don't have mechanical representation for some reason.

>Southeastern Sweden
... so how close to Kalmar exactly?

IIRC there was one wierd dragon group, not the tatooed monks but a hybrid. Lemme checkkkuuu

Nah nevermind, they just could buff martial skills by spending a spellslot (was a shugenja school)

Crab, LA

>you will never serve your lord, who is an actual crab

Students Of The Tao, Taoist Swordsmen, other?

The Artisans own unironically and I hope they make a comeback. I mean, this edition is making the fucking Ikoma Bard useful, anything can happen.

So played my first few games of LCG yesterday. I thought ccg rules were fairly complex. How did they manage to cram so much shit into lcg is beyond me

CCG was a blocky Car, LCG is an elegant Bicycle.

More like

Scorpion, Montreal, Canada

Taoist Swordsmen were not sohei, neither were Disciples of Sun Tao, which are a ronin group anyway.

When is the last time your samurai got a position as a commander of the Imperial Legionnaires?

All that shit you mentioned is bad though, not just Horse Necromancy. HN however is at a whole new ultra-shit level.

Dragon, Luxembourg
Fox, Phoenix and Crab are also cool in my book.

Dragon, Slavistan.

>Taoist Swordsmen were not sohei
Just trying to jog user's memory and get to what they were talking about.

>Disciples of Sun Tao
I didn't say Disciples of Sun Tao, user.

It's ok to acknowledge you don't know what someone is talking about, or stay silent, rather than making obviously poor assumptions.

>It's ok to acknowledge you don't know what someone is talking about, or stay silent, rather than making obviously poor assumptions.

Then be silent.

1E can KINDA work like that if you squint hard enough.

After you, user.

>IIRC there was one wierd dragon group
If you're not talking about this, idgaf, and neither should you.

Unicorn through and through, but god damn Scorp and Dragon has got some hot Bishoujo ass.

What out-of clan waifus/husbandos get you going?

Lion by a mile. So much waifu material in the card art.

Has anyone used any of minor clans from the Court of the Minor Clans? If so, which ones did you like and the ones you felt to stay away from? Are there any gamebreakinig clans?

My group once played as foot soldiers in the Imperial Legion, and while I never did get to command any Legionnaries officialy, I did get to command some (inclduing the other players) due to my character having somewhat high Battle Skill. Mostly commanded plebs though, I did however command quite a lot of plebs.

Scorpion, Las Vegas

You really need to put on the goggles for it, though. Sure, 1E is deadly as hell (to the point that the existence of Rank 5 NPCs strains the suspension of disbelief) but it's also the edition that gave us the original Kakita artisans, Togashi tattoos and magic-as-science.

So, Kitsuki Justicar; Is it worth taking if I'm a Kitsuki Investigator that handles his own duels?

The weapon doesn't need to be ready for the damage to be dealt.

Why wouldn't it be? Do you think you'll get more mileage out of the base technique with your gm? Or something like Kenburo's Way?

So it's not iaijutsu, but poking someone with a sheathed weapon?

Okay so to activate the ability, you simply need to pass a test and have a sheathed razor-edged weapon.

You get 2 separate effects after you activate the kata. The first is you draw and ready the weapon in a one-handed grip. If you can't wield the weapon in that grip, it can't be used for most actions but is technically ready.

The second effect is you deal damage to your target. The weapon does not need to be ready for this effect to be successful.

IOW, they need to fix the beta rules.

Iaijutsu was explicitly mentioned as one of the elements that is getting a deeper pass in the update, fortunately.

Do the Bayushi intentionally breed for looks and social cleverness in the members they don't use for political marriages?

Or is their some other reason they can buy dangerous beauty cheaper.

Also how does scorpion culture approach parenthood? Are they more particular about how their members treat their children than most other clans? having a wide variety of people on tap for your plots is useful (yes even having fools) but at the same time not trying to influence how much of each of them you get with each generation seems like a recipe for not having the man or woman close enough to the one you need for a plot, when you need them.

Crane (somehow), Mid East USA

>Or is their some other reason they can buy dangerous beauty cheaper.

It isn't necessarily that the person is question is super hot. With how sexually repressed the culture is supposed to be, an above average person who simply knows how to use their looks is way more tantalizing than a 10/10 in perfectly modest garb.

How do shugenja do their thing if they are mute? Like from injury or congenital condition they can't speak verbally.

In setting? They can't. Unless they're Soshi maybe.

The entire samurai caste is affected partially by (accidental) eugenics, partially by culture, and partially by inherent name magic. One of the factors for successful marriages is that the member joining a new family can at least get along with them, and so over the generations people tend to get filtered into bloodlines that suit them. On top of that, anyone born into the Scorpion is, almost always, raised by the Scorpion, and so learn how to best use their own personal assets. And at the end of the day, simply being named Bayushi, Soshi, Yogo, etc, gives you an inherent affinity for their kind of behavior and activities because Names have power.