If one in ten people gained superpowers...

If one in ten people gained superpowers, would society collapse into warring mini-states ruled by competing superpowered warlords within a month?

Other urls found in this thread:

powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Random
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Compound_Fission
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Mongoose_Physiology
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Energy_Manipulation?useskin=oasis
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Grass_Manipulation
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Molecular_Deceleration?useskin=oasis
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Memetic_Physiology
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Perversion_Empowerment
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Probability_Merging
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Spatial_Pressure_Generation
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Absolute_Attack?useskin=oasis
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Bottomless_Pit_Creation?useskin=oasis
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Entrapment_Field_Projection
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Labyrinth_Manipulation
goodreads.com/book/show/17182126-steelheart
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Almighty_Ascension
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Singular_Reality_Existence
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Dimensional_Link
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Winter_Magic
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Gravitational_Singularity_Generation
scp-wiki.net/scp-3125
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Slender_Man_Physiology
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Almighty_Infusion
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Carcass_Manipulation
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_Hands
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Air_Generation
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Parallel_Reality_Synching
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Condition_Manipulation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Probably not. Most folks would probably just use their powers in their day to day lives.

>700 million people with superpowers
Yeah, that would be a clusterfuck. At the very least expect crime rates to skyrocket. Make it 0.01%

What kind of powers?

powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Random

First ten people determine our fate.

>powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Compound_Fission
I am... the Disassembler!

Woops, sorry OP. Misread it as 'if ten people gained superpowers'.

What is Shinsekai Yori for $500, Alex?

is correct, at least in part. A lot of people probably wouldn't immediately jump into superpowered villainy or heroism for all kinds of reasons. The government and legislative parts of society would flip the fuck out, but it wouldn't be quite that dramatic of a change probably.

It also very much depends on the actual power level of the powers given. If everyone starts off as silver age superman, all bets are off. Similarly, if the majority of people get minor powers, the actual changes are going to be far less dramatic.

How about the Ubik approach
>some people gain superpowers
>some people gain the ability to nullify superpowers

>powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Mongoose_Physiology

Snakes everywhere will tremble i fer at my approach

powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Energy_Manipulation?useskin=oasis

So, could I like steal the energy of an Earthquake to prevent it or the crush of a tidal wave, or am I strictly stuck to sucking electricity out of a straw and shooting that energy back out?

Who cares, it's time to roll!

powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Grass_Manipulation

>Sits back, bamboo throne rising from the ground behind me via strategically dropped seeds.
Excellent.

I am Slowpoke

powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Molecular_Deceleration?useskin=oasis

Mostly what said. Extent of the reaction depends a lot on the strength of the powers. If they're minor (I can influence the direction ants walk, I always know what direction is Northwest, etc.) I doubt there'd be much change aside from some crimes getting a bit weirder. As power strength goes up, the odds of spontaneous violent incidents goes up, largely depending on the degree to which violently-inclined superpowered individuals estimate their abilities versus likely retaliation (IE I can throw fireballs, but if I did that, could I deal with cops shooting at me?). At the extreme end, you have individuals that are basically demigods, in which case you end up with .

>. The government and legislative parts of society would flip the fuck out,
This is probably the bigger issue, because at least a couple governments would thoroughly screw it up, and the suddenly oppressed, relatively large minority would be quickly radicalized. And then all hell breaks loose

I suppose it depends on the powers. If that's 700 million Superman-like people, then yeah, that's fucked. However, if it's very, very few high-powered individuals and a lot of mid-level people, like Gambit or Jubilee then I doubt it's an immediate societal collapse.

It's interesting to imagine the world carved up into new states depending on the personalities of the regional super-mutants.

powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Memetic_Physiology

Am..am I Altair now?

YA'R A MEME, YA DIP

At your most basic, you'd be a glorified flashlight.

At your most powerful, you'd be a reality-bending god.

I made a setting where there was actually a good reason why not many super powered people got killed.
If you kill them, they go into a massively destructive overdrive and do something equivalent to detonating a nuke.
Kill the guy with laser beam eyes? He starts shooting lasers that can cut through a city out of every pore. Kill the ice man? Hope you weren't wanting to live in this brand new super-arctic wasteland that used to be a third of a continent.

And so, every fight ends in a non-death, and every villain can basically do whatever they want, knowing that nobody could stomach a permanent solution to the problem that is them and they can always escape prison to try again.

powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Perversion_Empowerment

Am I now the strongest man in the world?

>powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Probability_Merging

Literally what the fuck is this word salad even supposed to be saying? How can I use a power when I don't even know what it does?

>powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Spatial_Pressure_Generation
Noice

>powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Absolute_Attack?useskin=oasis

Well, I can grab myself a pistol and assassinate literally anyone, but that's boring. I wonder how many professions would pay handily for someone to drill a perfect hole of a convenient size through something invincible, since I can't miss and any projectile can't stop until I want it to. Hell, I could probably make a very good living with a few years training as a surgeon for those of the Tenth who are resistant to the normal surgical tools.

powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Bottomless_Pit_Creation?useskin=oasis

Not that great

No, the end result is a half century of utter chaos ultimatly ending with superpowered feudalism.

Pic related.

It really depends what superpowers and how large range of power is.

powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Entrapment_Field_Projection

Yeah I'm gonna be a complete fucking asshole with this

>powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Labyrinth_Manipulation
And so humankind was doomed forever to wander through my labyrinths

We should become a team

Am I the only one upset with the fact that most powers in BnHA are strictly inferior to a gun? Think about it, someone like Bakugo could go full Columbine on UA and All Might would probably be the only one who can stop him without using a gun himself.

This is the plot to Brandon Sanderson's Reckoner series. A small percentage of random people suddenly gain super powers. And the world goes to shit overnight.

goodreads.com/book/show/17182126-steelheart

It's set in japan gun crime isn't really a thing over there.

>first roll
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Almighty_Ascension
"The power to ascend to a limitless state of power and achieve virtual omnipotence"
I god now?

Isn't this the backstory of Mutant City Blues?

Sounds good

So you could make everybody not superpowered anymore right away

>powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Singular_Reality_Existence
I don't get it.
So I already have my super power in real life?

only if parallel universes don't exist and the universe isn't big enough

>checks the synopsis
hmmm...I like the sound of this. I'll give it a look.

Erasure Head looks at him. Murder Explosion Man is suddenly just an angry teenager.

Midnight smokes him and he goes night-night, just like at the end of the Athletic Festival arc.

That works fine until you get people being sedated then flown into outer space en mass to kill them away from others.

Or tossing them out of air planes onto countries they don't like.

Dropping people out of planes is a mutually assured destruction sort of thing, and space isn't really feasible.

Suicide bombers would be a real fear though.

Depends on the powers. If they all became unstoppable superman who is only comparable to their peers then maybe. If we are talking about them having quirky abilities or just being kinda tough then the governments would still have their armies and those armies would probably have superpowered people loyal to the country, so at best it would be a few months long skirmish before the superpowered guys just give up, get obliterated or skedaddle to form their own nation somewhere remote.

>Or tossing them out of air planes onto countries they don't like.

Supers being dropped on countries so they die as WMDs is fucking hilarious.

Also some random super gets in a car accident or plane crash and suddenly BOOM no more city. If anything it would encourage every country to band together to shoot the supers into space.

>Dropping people out of planes is a mutually assured destruction sort of thing
Not really. Sedate someone, strap timed explosive to his chest, toss out with parachute, blow it when you're a few hundred miles away.

And what IS wrong with space solutions? It's not like launching people is THAT hard. You don't even need to calculate the return vector.

Oh boy. Imagine about the old age pensioner's home where you have a dozen nukes who would destroy the continent when they die. What do you do?

This setting sounds like everyone would be wiped out in a few days when one guy dies, kills a few thousand, they explode, more hundreds of thousand die. It would snowball fast.

Space solutions require being able to space in the first place. It's more of a 30s/40s ish era, for that art deco feel.

it's funny how many people dropped this because of the bonobo part

Only if they're that common and don't have survival methods built into their power sets.
That kind of setting would require strong survival mechanisms on most supers, so you really have to try to kill them.

>Am I the only one upset with the fact that most powers in BnHA are strictly inferior to a gun?
Yes, shut up.

They'd all have to be immune to random bullshit that could kill a normal person including disease and dying of old age. That makes every super have a tremendous power set. Even if every large city has less than a half dozen supers it can rabidly go south if even one dies from some silly accident as the resulting explosion would catch the rest.

>A small percentage of random people suddenly gain super powers. And the world goes to shit overnight
So x-men? Or wildcards? That's the base plot of like every super powered universe

I get this reference

powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Dimensional_Link

With our powers combined, the entire world will be a fucking Looney Tunes cartoon.

pic very related

If you were a god-tier superpowered warlord with your own territory, a cadre of lesser supers as lieutenants, and large armies of normies, what title would you give yourself? I think I'd declare myself Archduke, and my lieutenants would be lesser Dukes. I don't have the hubris to call myself a King, let alone something presumptuous like Emperor.

I think that eventually a new normal would emerge. Borders would certainly be redrawn, new religions/cults would be established, and life would continue essentially as it is today.

"How do you keep them down on the farm once they've seen Paris?" Once it becomes apparent that their activities are disrupting/destroying their own pleasurable pursuits truces and treaties are soon to follow.

Welcome to the superocracy.

>powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Winter_Magic
Fuck war and conflict. I'm opening up a comfy winter resort. Wheres a good place that could benefit from a comfy winter resort? I'm thinking somewhere tropical.

Saudi Arabia

Gimmie some of that 'fuck you i got oil' money and you can come into my snuggy little snow time funderland.

depends on what people end up winning the superpower lottery.

1/10? nigga 1/1000 would easily lead to societal collapse if were talking about mid tier power levels

It depends on how powerful the superpowers are. If it's mostly shit like "turn Pepsi into Coke", "breath underwater", or "run 50 mph", we should be alright. If it's Flash and Superman-level shit, we'll be lucky if humanity survives the year.

I think the real question is. If you got lucky and hit the fucking jackpot in terms of super powers, would you be one to stir the pot, or try to keep things orderly?

>Blood cloning, cut yourself and boom you can clone yourself, people, or objects.
Now my first thought is never having to work, while I get weird with some sex clone I creepily made in the likeness of someone, while drinking unlimited blood booze. But who are we kidding, I'd be in a lab somewhere real quick, and not the good kind of lab either.

1/10 isn't lucky though... it's downright common
I'd test my powers, but keep them hidden. I'd let events play out and see what the average power levels are. I'f im high enough over them, I consider doing shit. If I'm barely over, or under, then I keep my powers hidden and never use them for anything but mundane utility or getting out of bad situations

I don't mean lucky enough to get powers. I mean if you're one of those lucky few who hits the kind of power tier that gets you your own run in DC comics, I mean Superman, Flash or Hulk tier power.

>Superman
Probably go Red Son/Regime superman, trying to solve the worlds problems. I'd set up a popularly elected council to reign me in though
>Hulk
Kill myself, because Banner's condition must be living hell
>Flash
Kill myself, because im the lamest superhero ever

>Kill myself, because im the lamest superhero ever
>Flash
This nigga doesn't understand just how fucking broken the Flash is.

No, i understand exactly how broken he is, which is precisely the reason he's so fucking lame

Then why didn't you decide to kill yourself if you were on Superman levels? He is literally god at the height of his power, and even when not at that he is damn near the most broken super hero short of reality warpers.

Besides, I wasn't talking about you having their power sets, I meant tier wise if you had powers on par with them.

because at least superman is consitently the strongest super and shit, the flash goes from "x100000 times faster than light" to "runs into a sword lmao" depending on the writer
not saying supermans power levels don't vary, but its nowhere near as egregious as with the flash
if it was on par with them, then yeah, red son superman

>This hero is lame not because of his specific power set or personality, but because writers fuck him over to push another character as being better
Nigga what is this nonsense I am seeing in front of me right here.

>because the writers fuck him over
this is a really fucking common thing with the flash though, at the point were you can't really handwave it away as just PIS
All mainstream dc/marvel heroes are trash anyways

It's common with Flash because beyond any other super hero, if Flash isn't horribly nerfed in a story, he can literally solve every problem by himself. Batman has the limitations of being a human without powers, Superman is not infallible as he can be hurt and weakened, and few other super heroes match up to the main line, but Flash, Flash is just fast, he has no major weakness (that I am currently aware of) but he is, by nature of his very lengthy repertoire, untouchable. The only way to fit Flash into a story and not have him end it in a few seconds, at least, is to weigh him down with the writing. The example you had about him getting gutted by a sword was a story to push Deathstroke as some super bad ass, but in any story where Deathstroke isn't in the spotlight, Flash would hand him his ass before he could even blink.

thats my point tho, they gave him literally god tier powers but they have to nerf the shit out of him to make him fit in any chronicle. It's annoying as fuck and completely ruins any interest one might have in the character
they could have just made him slower from the get go and more realistic, but no

Thats the problem with all comics, though. Every hero has started at a pretty low grade power level. I mean back when Flash was in his early days, running faster than a train was fucking fast. Superman couldn't fly, he just jumped really high. Fucking Green Lantern nearly died everytime a fucking banana got near him. But as time goes on, stories need more 'umph' and without drastically changing what the heroes can do, they needed to turn the dial up. But when you turn the dial all the way up, the only way you can keep things from going out of control is to turn the dial down, but everyones already seen how far that thing cranks, so it becomes a big mess.
But if you hate that aspect of Flash, you have to hate that aspect about ALL comics, since every fucking super hero goes through that, Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Hulk, Captain America, Green Lantern. Everyone really.

But regardless, I still like Flash, cause I like the concept of using speed to solve all problems instead of just being obscenely strong or having a shit ton of super powers.

>powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Gravitational_Singularity_Generation

I'm stopping this madness and killing everyone

i do hate it in all of them, but nowhere is at egregious or as terribly written as with the flash, he could be the poster child for this kind of bullshit

No, the poster child for that kind of bullshit is Batman, who can go from having trouble taking on thugs on the street, to stopping cosmic scale threats with his super suit. Flash just gets his speed limit turned down depending on the writer.

he didn't get his speed limit turned down when he ran into that sword kek

>powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Memetic_Physiology
You are
FIVE
>FIVE
FIVE
>FIVE
FIVE

scp-wiki.net/scp-3125

What is it?

powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Slender_Man_Physiology

I am reminded why I dislike that site.

He literally did though. Base line Flash can pretty much see people moving in slow motion, Deathstroke's method of just holding a sword out and stabbing Flash only works in a world where Flash is incapable of perceiving the world at his speeds. It's literally just Deathstroke wank to make him "the super best killer ever"

Actually that's one of my favorite things about BnHA. Every western super has to have an answer to guns (Cap has his shield, Wolverine regenerates, Supes is straight up bulletproof), but in a setting where you don't have to account for the immediate power of firearms you can have more nuanced and subtle powers.

Or just say fuck it and have guns, but they are a major fucking game changer when brought onto the scene, and whole fights now revolve around how to either shoot the other guys, or how to avoid the other guys shooting you

powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Almighty_Infusion

I sell out to the American government, infusing weapons and armour for them in return for mad dosh.

My favorite thing about godlike is the exact opposite of that.
Everyone has nuanced and fiddly minor powers, but it's world war 2, and being bullet proof is neither common, nor is it likely to be stable.

powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Carcass_Manipulation

... seems like i'm sort of doomed to become a necromantic warlord. What possible use for good does 'corpse manipulation' even have?

>powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_Hands
Wow I got one of the weaker powers so far. I guess it's cool if I get all the applications in that page though

At least I'm not

powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Air_Generation
I AM THE AIR BENDER!

A really good anime that's better the less you know going into it.

Todoroki and Tokoyami can probably eat Bakugo for breakfast. Now that he can use 20%, probably Deku too.

You become Kek.

powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Parallel_Reality_Synching

well well. my dream of a field of bacon will soon be true.

It's an anime.

In 2013, 0.3% of the population suddenly gets telekinesis. It's your standard telekinesis: you can move shit with your mind (including fine object control, controlling swarms of objects, high-speed acceleration/deceleration, and moving heavy car-sized objects). Complex tasks like repairing a broken bottle require lots of training and practice, but blunt force is easy.

Civilization promptly collapses. 1000 years later, our protagonist lives in a technologically-regressed totalitarian society, and has just entered the mandatory psychic power training school. But over the series, she'll slowly uncover the dark secrets of history and her society.

Also, when psychic powers combine with mental illness, they turn into "Karmic Demons" who constantly leak psychic power and corrupt everything around themselves in a large radius.

Pretty much all the non-psychics died off. Humans used their psychic powers to genetically alter themselves. They tried to become a "society of love" like bonobos, instead of a "society of war" like chimps. They also put in a "killswitch" that makes humans feel intense shame around murder, to the point where committing murder makes you have a stroke and die. People who are born without this shame are called "Ogres", and end up committing mass-murder until they're stopped. So the leaders used their psychic powers to create mutant assassin-cats, and they send those cats to weed-out any dangerous people from society. Oh, and besides creating mutants, they can also hypnotize people and wipe memories.

As I read it, you can basically take multiple things that have a chance of happening (you buy a lottery ticket. There's a super small chance you win, and a large chance you don't. ) and decide which possibility has the higher chance of happening (you make it so your chances of winning the lottery are as high as your chances of losing _used_ to be. Just as an example. )

>powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Condition_Manipulation
...what?

That writing is pretty shit tier for readability, but basically you can make shit happen even if there's no way it would have otherwise happened.

(You want somebody to get shot, but there's no guns in the visible universe, so you just say 'fuck it. Anyone who is that fucker automatically catches a bullet' and the dude gets shot.)