As a player what are the top 3 rules you always follow to have fun?

As a player what are the top 3 rules you always follow to have fun?

As a DM what are the top 3 rules you always follow to make sure the players have fun?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hlf1O2R-kDk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>As a player what are the top 3 rules you always follow to have fun?
Have a solid goal to do while playing.
Interact and get involved with almost everything the party does.
Don't take anything personally. It's only game

>As a DM what are the top 3 rules you always follow to make sure the players have fun?
Provide them with a rich world to explore and interact with.
Give everyone a nudge now and again if they can't overcome some of the obstacles.
Don't take anything personally. It's only game

Always have some character development direction in mind, so you always have something to do and look forward to.

Always look for alternatives to the obvious path.

Don't try to make the best of a bad campaign. Either fix what's making it bad or quit.

>As a DM what are the top 3 rules you always follow to make sure the players have fun?

Never directly tell a player "no", instead word hangups in a fashion such as "I don't think X would work because of Y, can you think of a way around Y?"

Never plan more than a few steps ahead, because an active and engaged party will almost always eventually diverge from where you planned on them going and if you have too many plans, your natural urge will be to railroad towards them

Never ignore drama. Drama is a cancer that will infest a game and strangle it to death. Always sort it out or boot it out.

As with all such rules, "never" and "always" absolute statements do have some common sense bounds.

- Surprise them. I try to always have a twist up my sleeve, something unexpected, story-wise or gameplay-wise. But I keep it simple. Complex overarching narratives and crossed story are waaaaay out of my league.
- The fun of the players is more important than my story. They too can make nice things, I let them take control and drive the plot.
- I am the DM. My word is law. I never let a player be an asshole or make others inconfortable. I never let a player step on your shoes. BUT, as the host, I always try to be fair and never hesitate to change my mind if a player makes a good point.

Haha, you funny man.

>Player
1: Be Polite
2: Be Efficient
3: Have a plan to kill everyone you meet

>Player
Bring enough food and soda for everyone

don't speak over other people, that just rude

If I think a rule is done wrong, wait until after the session so I don't disrupt things, that's just rude

>DM
always have food and soda for everyone

work with the players during the character creation so we can actually all be on the same page

Have a plan to kill everyone you meet

Same three for both-

Remember you and and your group are there to have fun. That it's an enjoyable, compelling experience is the ultimate goal.

Communicate clearly, don't be afraid to speak your mind and discuss things, but also be aware when an answer has been reached, even if it's one you don't agree with.

Save it until after the session. A short query or double check is fine. Holding up the session for any longer is bad form unless you absolutely cannot continue. Have respect for the time of the GM and other players.

Fluid druid etc.?

Literally the filename you stupid retard

Her name is AnzuJaamu

1. Always have backup plan nobody else knows of, if it can't save you it should at least take everyone else with you.
2. Everyone is disposable.
3. Play nice until the very moment you're throwing them under the bus.

S2G I thought that was the name of a character she was cosplaying in the image or something. Thank you for the help.

youtube.com/watch?v=hlf1O2R-kDk

Bill Cipher from Gravity Falls, here is her video tutorial so you can dress up along at home!

... it looks more like a character from Clockwork Orange.

Wtf? Stop seeing GMs as slaves pls.(i know this could just be you talking about player fun and you could not think of GMs like that, the way it was worded just hit me)

I'd give her my Cockwork Orange if you know what I mean ahaahaha

>1. Always try to talk and learn as much as possible in-character before fighting aside from stealth/surprise circunstances
>2. Never ever do anything that would spilt the party physically, emotionally, or otherwise. A split party is a split friend group
>3. Bring snacks to share

....I don't know what you mean, user.

What about the DM's fun? WHen does that become a factor

Player
1. Never be the "main character".
2. Be a team player
3. Help other players to feel more involved

DM
1. Have a thousand threads, no rails.
(Think Cabin in the Woods basement scene but rather than a basement, it's a campaign.)
2. Always read the room.
3. NPCs should never become DMPCs.

I think he would like to give her taste of moloko plus.

I'd like to give Anzu my Jam-u, if you get what I mean

Stop fucking whining about
>BAWW WHAT ABOUT DM FUN

You fucking DMs don't understand the power and privilege exercised by DMs. Every major system in the game is controlled by DMs. Every power structure in the game heavily favors the DM, which is why DMs usually win games.

Imagine sitting around the table at Thanksgiving, and you're literally the only one with food. And when anyone else asks to be served food, you answer back with "What about the DM's food?"

Players aren't asking about their fun because they're saying only their fun matters, but because they don't have the power and privileges DMs have to make their own fun.

And that's why we say #PlayerFunMatters

You have a semblance of a point, but you state it like such an enormous dickwaffle you squander anything you actually had.

The GM enjoying the game is just as important as every single player in the game enjoying it. If the GM isn't having fun, there is a problem, and you should figure it out. Because if you don't, it leads to GM burnout, which kills off so many goddamn games because assholes like you tell GM's they aren't allowed to consider their own experience.

A roleplaying game is a collaborative experience. If any single person involved, including the GM, isn't having fun? That's a problem the whole group should be willing to help solve.

I really thought #PlayerFunMatters would be enough of a hint that that post was not serious.

All of these posts are great. Being a team player and clear communication gives you a solid baseline to make any game good. The GM advice is good. Provide the players with content that both they and you would enjoy and be flexible.

>As a player
TALK TO YOUR FUCKING DM

>As a DM
TALK TO YOUR FUCKING PLAYERS

I only need one rule.

>Murderhobo shit as a legit suggestion
Fuck off.

As a DM I found if my players are having a good time I'll be having a good time

>Know what your character's like
One of the worst things you can do to your dm and your fellow player is have a character with no fucking character.
You don't need a fucking 10-page backstory, just something more than "level 2 fighter"
>Let the dm and your fellow players see what you're cooking
Unless your dm is That Guy, there is no harm in showing them what you intend to play, so that he can actually give you shit to do in the game and you're not just waiting around for something to hit with your sword because the campaign was tailored to the party wizard. Sharing with other players also helps party comp, whether you're aiming for the usual trinity or the crazyness of an all-bard party.
>keep track of your shit
The flow of a session is extremely important, and you can help by not leafing through the rulebook whenever you want to do shit. Copying your spells and skills onto index cards is a particularly good move, as these are just as much aspects of your character that will come up a lot as anything written on your character sheet.
>BONUS ROUND: don't die every encounter
Character death is a big event in games for a fucking reason: it's generally not supposed to happen every single time the party does a thing. Do your part to keep it that way by not dying like a bitch every encounter. While going full munchkin isn't very fun for everyone else, so is cheapening death by going through an entire town's worth of characters on the path to the local bandit ringleader. Learn what is useful, when certain things are useful, and how to use those useful things when they are useful so you don't end up with enough dead characters to supply kindling for a week-long camping trip.

Show up on time.
Give the GM feedback, and ask for the same - normally when not in the game.
Build extremely strong power gaming characters, but only step it up to full speed in a dire situation (like when someone goes down in combat) - I like the character building aspect as a GM so my characters tend to use all the rules to their fullest even if I’m not interested in overstepping everyone else’s ability.

Incorporate the backstories, even if they don’t fit in at first.
Lean in on in jokes, and encourage both IC and OOC bonding.
Let each player drive for a bit, sometimes with one of those learner cars that have a second brake.

> Player
1. Make the game fun for the group, not just myself.
2. Play my character to the hilt.
3. Minimize distractions. Pay attention to the game even when it's not my turn.

> GM
1. The harder the work, the sweeter the victory.
2. Honor.
3. Know my players.

1. Do NOT take shit; a sperging out player ruins a game faster than anything else.
2. What you are doing isn't a service, it is an honor. You are bringing happiness to people you presumably care about, live up to the weight of that responsibility.
3. The pcs are the story, and if the story isn't about the pcs, then you are mucking about.

>As a player
1. Bring a mindset that is dissimilar to others at the table, the mechanics matter less than the mind behind them.
2. Know the game's mechanics well enough that game time isn't held up on my actions.
3. Be prepared to challenge others in their roleplay; you are your own person, and have the right to agree and disagree. But be able to come to a harmonious conclusion.

>As a player
1. Always be willing to suffer consequences. Bad things can turn into fun things if you explore them with the right frame of mind.
2. Care about the other characters. It's more fun for everyone when the characters interact and work together, rather than effectively just taking turns being important.
3. Never let the other players know that I haven't actually enjoyed playing in years.

>As a DM
1. Always be willing to throw away your plot. The players are going to do what the players are going to do, and letting them explore and try what seems important to them will often lead to a better story than the one you had planned.
2. Care about the player characters' goals. While you should still be challenging them appropriately, caring about their goals yourself means that you'll invest more in making their achievements special. If you're just checking off the box on your list before getting back to the plan, it will show, and the victory won't be satisfying for the player.
3. Never let the players know that I haven't enjoyed DMing in years.

universal
1. don't be a dick
2. don't be loud
3. listen carefuly
4. cooperate

1. is basically any religion condensed.
2. is common sense and courtesy; though if you're gaming alone in the middle of the forest 2. doesn't apply.

3. is the hardest one to do, even outside of games. As the GM, listen for both the action taken and intent intended; be sure to play with, not against the players for meme points (like the gazeebo deal, just tell the player that it's not a monster but a building you fuck).
As a player, listen to the GM's explanations and engross yourself in the world; also hopefully learn the rules when you're being taught, we all hate the guy who can't remember it's d20+BAB+ability mod to attack, if you can't remember (and that's fine and honest) have an extra paper that says "attack" "defense" "saves" with a +to roll there.
More importantly, listen to what other players have to say and want to do. Don't be selfish, this game isn't just for you and your character. Don't be on the phone during stretches that can concern your character just because the party face is doing the talking atm.

4. means you can all work together and share the workload. The GM will love you writing a backstory because that means he doesn't have to; easier to start the quest in "players beloved hometown" than "town #2823".
When a player doesn't understand the rules, explain them and teach (even if you're not the GM but know the rules very well).
Don't explain rules to the GM in public or during the game, but after.

>As a player
Restrain yourself
Approach everything in-character
Be nice to the team

>I'm to scared of failure to be a dm

>Never ignore drama. Drama is a cancer that will infest a game and strangle it to death. Always sort it out or boot it out
>tfw I might have to deal with this myself soon because other players are getting tired of the one player who tries to kill everybody

a bit of the old in-out-in-out my droog

Dm rules first because that's what I do

1. Do all your fucking prep
2. No more than 6 players
3. Politely but firmly remind players not to go on their cellphones durong the session.

>player rules
1. Have a basic understanding of your character's personality.
2. Know enough crunch that you can play without the book
3. Turn off your cell phone.

TAKE THE BAIT, no seriously. Take that fucking bait. Bite down on that hook and never let go.
Get really personal with your character, figure out the embarrassing and touchy things to a point where you personally don't really wanna bring them up.
Be active, very active. Reactive players suck.

>As a GM what are the top 3 rules you always follow to make sure the players have fun?
Provide copious amounts of bait.
Put a lot of effort into the game's overall budget. (Soundtrack, scene composition, art, etc)
Make sure the game's story actually goes somewhere.

its not joking if you're being a cunt

Player:
>Plan in advance
>Play WITH the table
>Be entertaining

DM:
>Prepare for anything
>Accept that no plan survives first contact with the enemy; improvise
>Clarify what you and/or the players mean to avoid frustration

It's a TF2 reference you knob

>doesn't know what a joke is

lul

Make sure that the character concept and personality you come up with is something you can enjoy playing and isn't a detriment to the group as a whole.

Be aware of metagame knowledge and have a concientous effort to not have it influence my judgments to the best of my ability.

Bring any new ideas/concerns to the DM a few days before or right after a session, both to let them be aware of your plan/worries and also to talk it out with someone else who is in a position to assuage those fears.

Never just say, "no." Give a reason for why you are disallowing a certain thing.

Conversely, if the players come up with a unique solution or idea that fits with the world you have built, let them run with it and see how far they go.

The world the players reside in is a living, breathing place. Their actions will eventually have far-reaching consequences that they cannot be aware of. Don't be afraid to sprinkle in an example or two of said consequences as backdrop to the PCs current position.

>min/max to ensure maximum efficiency
>always take the lead in social encounters regardless of charisma
>read the monster manual as often as possible so I can warn allies of the enemy's abilities

1) Have a good plot, with interesting story beats, but be open to change if the players think of something better
2) Gameplay is about encouraging good ideas, rather than overtly punishing bad ones
3) Let players feel powerful, but don't do it so often it leads to being conceited

1. its a game so joke around, if its too serious I dont belong here
2. follow the rules though, being funny and joking around is cool but fuckin play the game correctly so you arent derailing shit
3. be vocal about shit that you dont like or dont play

heres my big 3 dming or as a player, if im having a fun time with the boys playing a game of pretend I dont wanna feel like a dork playing dnd even though thats what I am, having fun and cracking jokes is part of the fun while still playing the game the way it was meant to be played
also if someones being cringy ima call them out, if its their first time Ill let the self insert power fantasy happen but every fucking game the same character in different settings? no thanks, same with a dm who is trying to write a book and force us into shit instead of letting us have our own choices, if I wanna leave the party to explore mage school while everyone else is in some class or something fuckin let me dont just say I disappear till I join back with the party

party turns only is stupid gay trash I dont wanna be a part of and ill gladly leave if thats what its gonna end up as

>1. The harder the work, the sweeter the victory.
>2. Honor.
Could you elaborate?

Now what about as a player, user?

What DO you enjoy, user? Why do you do these, if not for enjoyment?

It's a James Mattis quote you boot

>implying there aren't lots of players unironically having that attitude
90% of Everything is shit, user. Even people. ESPECIALLY people

rules are for squares bruh

Player
1. Don't be a dick.
2. Make a character that mechanically meshes with the rest of the party. If you're playing with a bunch of people who are new to RPGs, don't minmax. If you're playing with a bunch of minmaxers, don't play a funny gimp character.
3. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. That's generally where the fun stories that you'll be talking about later come from.

DM
1. Don't be a dick... Okay, maybe a bit of a dick if you're playing an unforgiving campaign, but even then don't be too much of a dick.
2. Don't run a table with more players than you can handle. My rule of thumb is no more than 5, preferably 4. My best games were ran with 3, and my most memorable games only had 2.
3. Know when to fudge the dice.

>soda

How young are you? Soda is a childs beverage, I do not know anyone older than 20 who drinks that crap.

If a rule is wrong, its enough to cuck anyone. We had a DM who forgot the prone condition in 5e granted disadvantage on attacks and thought it didnt apply to people laying down with crossbows. He made an encounter around that.

>For players
- Don't think of it as a game but as an adventure. Metagaming and blaming the GM for your shortcomings or bad things in the campaign are your own fault when you could just think as the character and actually solve the shit that is happening.
- If you don't have WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, and WHY answered, ask around so you can get somewhere.
- Interact with party members for arbitrary reasons with the goal of it being resolved in some way.

>DMs to players
- Give them the five Ws mentioned at the player side. They won't ask by themselves.
- Give a non-combat item that allows plenty of crazy possibilities at the first session. Then see who is the creative one in the group.
- Tell them that running is always an option.

>For DMs to have fun because fuck the altruïstic notion of 'if they have fun, I have fun'
- What is your need? That itch that you need to get scratched in each session? Figure that out, plan with it. Keep it broad so feel satisfied with each session in the campaign you're working for.

Seems like one of those chicks who aren't as cute as they think they are, and could be way cuter if they didn't have such shit taste.

>chick

Anzu's entire income comes from being cute on the internet. She's cute enough

I also find her cute, but I'd never date her because she does seem kinda annoying.

Because I care about them and I want them to enjoy themselves. They deserve to have fun.

You deserve it, too. What is that one thing that would make a session worthwhile even if it would end badly?

Anzu is a lot cutier when she covers her mouth