Old metathread got archived, New Veeky Forums metathread on /qa/ here

Old metathread got archived, New Veeky Forums metathread on /qa/ here,
Hopefully we can petition the /qa/ mods to make it a sticky.

Doubt.

I liked Veeky Forums best when we had quest threads but moot hadn't yet forced all the /a/ quests onto Veeky Forums.

>Thinly veiled meta thread

Hope this shit gets pruned.

Those were good times.

I thought I was the only one to remember this.

daily reminder to filter out "g/" or "general"

Fuck you faggot. get back to your Containment board
>>/qa

Why are Veeky Forums mods such hot steaming garbage?

First there was NAZImod, then /qst/, and now they're ruining /qa/ with their faggotry because they won't admit that they fucked up.

Is there a way to contact Hiro directly, because everyone who calls themselves a mod on Veeky Forums is in need of a swift boot to the ass ASAP.

>demanding a sticky
That is some top shelf entitlement. Lemme guess, you are a questfag aren't ya?

>Why are Veeky Forums mods such hot steaming garbage?
Fa/tg/uys should never be allowed to oversee Veeky Forums, because it's in our nature to want to make the board exactly how we want it (regardless of how the other users feel). The best time from Veeky Forums's history was when we didn't have mods who identified as being neckbears, because they didn't delete the Veeky Forums stuff that they personally didn't like; they only deleted the stuff that broke the global rules.

>Is there a way to contact Hiro directly, because everyone who calls themselves a mod on Veeky Forums is in need of a swift boot to the ass ASAP.
Hiro only cares about profit, so unless you're willing to pay him a lot of money to fix the problem, he's not going to care.

Yeah, it's weird how the majority of Veeky Forums liked having quests on this board.

>questfags being delusional

FUCK
OFF
POST ON /QA/ AND ALSO KILL YOURSELVES

Spergs are just as bad as feminists.

>the majority of Veeky Forums liked
You're off to a bad start there.

>having quests on this board.
Ooh, sorry pal, that's the wrong answer. As your consolation prize you can go back to /qst/ and stop pretending quests are Veeky Forums instead!

Every problem in Veeky Forums's history can be attributed to mods who overstepped their boundaries.

And you. Mods who overstepped their boundaries and you. But mostly you

No, the mods, always, and until Hiro steps in to fix shit. I mean, look at all the threads that are Veeky Forums related that will now be able to flourish now that quests got moved off site

What? They're all off-topic shit that's barely even related to Veeky Forums? Well that can't be right, quests got moved off to allow on-topic discussion to flourish. Must be a mistake or something.

>people asking which historical figure would win (on Veeky Forums, which indicates they're asking in a Veeky Forums-context)
>thread about a setting that has an RPG
>anime shit on an anime website
I fail to see your point.

>No discussion of tabletop RPGs, card games, or board games.
but, y'know, quests though!

Self-defeated by your own "rebuttal". What about quests are TTRPG, card game, or board games?

>This isn't a metathread, w-we're just announcing the metathread on /qa/!
Fuck off and take your cancer with you

More to the point, quests actually can't really exist in meatspace around a table or the like so they aren't even close to the subject of the rest of the board. They are more akin to old school text Vidya RPGs. That's it! Quests belong on /vr/.

I wouldn't want to inflict those parasites on /vr/, they've done nothing to deserve it.

Other than the fact that a lot of them used the dice roller app, were managed by a quest master, were based off of tabletop RPG systems (assuming the QM didn't produce their own systems to run them, like with Lego Quest), and only really became an issue once moot decided to forcibly move all quest threads to Veeky Forums?
and belongs on Veeky Forums but I don't see you complaining about that taking up precious space.

>and → belongs on Veeky Forums but I don't see you complaining about that taking up precious space.
No, because when someone asks on Veeky Forums "who would win?" people on Veeky Forums know the person is asking in a Veeky Forums context, not a historical one. That means we bring in TTRPG classes, levels, and such. We're actually interesting. But a questfag wouldn't know the meaning of the word "creativity".

>mythological figures
>Veeky Forums

Nah, fantasy battles between fictional figures belongs /sp/ with fantasy football and the like.

>Other than the fact that a lot of them used the dice roller app,
Rolling dice something a game. Quests are ultimately the QM just arbitrarily deciding what happens with no objective oversight.
> were based off of tabletop RPG systems
Just because someone scrounged up some shitty Naruto d20 system doesn't mean a Naruto quest is based on a rpg system.
>only really became an issue once moot decided to forcibly move all quest threads to Veeky Forums?
This is probably it. I haven't been on Veeky Forums that long all I remember is hating all the anime themed quests being spammed so that's probably why I hate quests so much

>go back to /qst/ and stop pretending quests are Veeky Forums instead

But the mod who created /qst/ said that quests are Veeky Forums-related when he made the new board; just that they were too numerous to fit on Veeky Forums anymore.

This was when we averaged eight or ten quest threads on Veeky Forums at a given time.

I have literally played a quest on a table with no electronic devices.
It plays exactly like an RPG with dice based resolution mechanics, stats, etc. The only difference was that there was only one PC and a vote for what that character did.

That's the flimsiest non-answer I've heard today, and that's fucking saying something. So if I made a thread asking who would win between Goku and Superman, would that automatically be cool to post because, obviously, people on Veeky Forums know the person is asking in a Veeky Forums context? What if I posted a thread on guro? Would that be okay because obviously people know that I'm referring to violent descriptions in tabletop RPG's?

Why assume that people are talking about things in a Veeky Forums context at all and yet drive away all the threads that actively used based themselves around a tabletop system?

>Rolling dice something a game. Quests are ultimately the QM just arbitrarily deciding what happens with no objective oversight.
Literally the same thing can be said about RPGs. There's no GM oversight committee. DMs can railroad to their heart's content. Storytellers can make up whatever bullshit they want.

>More to the point, quests actually can't really exist in meatspace around a table
Lego Quest exists in meatspace on a table.

>implying the mods give any fucks
>implying this wasn't just a ploy to fuck with mlp who cant post anything in QA
the mods where tired of the lack of salt from us and wanted more autists to REE at GR15
that is the only reason QA was returned and meta threads rebanned.

>Rolling dice something a game. Quests are ultimately the QM just arbitrarily deciding what happens with no objective oversight.
How is this different from running literally any tabletop game in existence? Hell, most people on this board actively encourage you to ignore the rules and come up with homebrews.
>Just because someone scrounged up some shitty Naruto d20 system doesn't mean a Naruto quest is based on a rpg system.
If they're basing it on a d20 system that they've made, it automatically becomes Veeky Forums though since it's based on the d20 system. You can't even claim that it's a quality issue because if that were true, we wouldn't have a F.A.T.A.L. thread up atm.

>Literally the same thing can be said about RPGs
Nope, at it's base level things like D&D work as a tactical war game with an objective rule set. The rules are so good 4th edition is outright called a board game.
In fact, that's how RPGs should be defined. If you can pare down the rules getting rid of all the fluff and still have a game it's an rpg.
Otherwise it's just CYOA: character creation. Funnily enough that describes most of the homebrew people make for anime themed rpgs.

Quest threads were a problem. Fuck off this board and go to roll20 or f-list if you want to do some play by post shit. There's a reason why erp threads are not allowed either.

Great, now I want /wst/ back.

Nigga, there's still no oversight if Joe Random decides to run a shitty campaign for his friends and he has them all play through his shitty novel. Even then, as long as there's a way to resolve actions with a way to determine success and failure, it's a goddamned game.

>In fact, that's how RPGs should be defined. If you can pare down the rules getting rid of all the fluff and still have a game it's an rpg.
That describes even the most barebones quest. The simplest system used by quests is best of 3 rolls, average of 3 rolls, or worst of 3 rolls (rarely). Most of them go into much more detail, with roll modifiers based on concrete numbers related to character stats, skills, and the circumstances of the roll.

>Quest threads were a problem.
How so? Was it because they took up 90% of the board, only 10 people on Veeky Forums bumped all the quests simultaneously, and their creation caused other threads to shoot straight from page 1 to page 11 despite that not being how Veeky Forums works?

whiny cunts who were too lazy to use the filters or the catalog were the problem, as are the mods who cater to the side who shits themselves the hardest whenever something "badwrongfun" enters their safe space.

There are CYOA that have more robust rulesets than some rules lite RPGs.

You might have a point if there was an eternal Lasers and Feelings general.

Though really at this point shit like Jumpchain is pretty indistinguishable from a quest.

>Nigga, there's still no oversight if Joe Random decides to run a shitty campaign for his friends and he has them all play through his shitty novel
Yes there are. There are still combat rules. Hell there are travel rules. And exhaustion rules. And downtime expenses rules. And treasure rules. That's literally all you need to run a basic game of Explore -> Kill -> Loot -> Repeat. Hell, 5e even has loose rules for roleplaying too in the form of backgrounds and inspiration.
Just because you are ignoring rules doesn't mean they aren't there.
>That describes even the most barebones quest.
No it doesn't.
>The simplest system used by quests is best of 3 rolls, average of 3 rolls, or worst of 3 rolls (rarely).
That doesn't solve anything. That only tells you what happens. That doesn't tell you what is allowed, what isn't allowed. RULES. Those are arbitrary up to the QMs whims. You are retarded if you think they are comparable.
Risus is not an RPG.

Jumpchain doesn't have a person running a game with a cohesive narrative. It's a collection of pdfs/images that someone runs through solitaire.

You sound fat and gross. Fuck off fatty.

This is the kind of person who the mods listen to.
Let that sink in. Systems aren't Veeky Forums if they don't autistically spell out rules for every eventuality.

>have to filter 90% of the board from trash quests just to have a discussion about actual traditional games
Yeah, great solution there, buddy.

No it's more like it's not a role playing GAME if it the "game" in question can't function on it's own rule set.
You don't need to have rules for every eventuality. Not even d&d does that. But you need enough rules for a basic fucking game loop.

>90%
Wanna know how I know you're full of shit?

Okay, even that ridiculous standard fits some quests. Target numbers are set by the GM/QM in every system anyway, but some of them spell it out.

>Yes there are.
No there isn't. I could literally go in, take the rules, rewrite them to fit my own needs, and then run a game based off of these modified rules without even referencing the game that they came from. Even then, you're assuming that we're playing a game where travel rules, exhaustion rules, treasure rules, or downtime rules are even relevant.
>That doesn't solve anything. That only tells you what happens.
How does knowing what happens not solve an issue though?
>Those are arbitrary up to the QMs whims.
Like every single campaign that has ever been run by Joe Random and his group of friends.

>Uses anime shit
>Calls others fat

>90% of the board
lol beat you to it user

As opposed to having to filter 90% of the board from generals just to have a discussion about actual traditional games outside of D&D, WH40K, or MtG?

Not all quests are shit, but 99% of them are.
Just like not all mlp content is shit, but the 99% that is was enough to have it banned from every board and had a containment board created for it.
> I could literally go in, take the rules, rewrite them to fit my own needs, and then run a game based off of these modified rules without even referencing the game that they came from.
Then you are not playing D&D anymore retard.
>Even then, you're assuming that we're playing a game where travel rules, exhaustion rules, treasure rules, or downtime rules are even relevant.
Then you are not playing D&D retard.
>How does knowing what happens not solve an issue though?
Because there are no rules for the limitations on what a character can or can't do other than arbitrary QM decisions.
>Like every single campaign that has ever been run by Joe Random and his group of friends.
If you are ignoring rules then you are not playing D&D, you are playing a homebrew that rips most of it's ruleset from D&D.
So because you don't like traditional games you should be able to make non-tradition games quest threads on the traditional games board?

>Risus is not an RPG.

I feel like you're trolling, but you're probably serious.

>not playing D&D anymore retard.

Wait, are you arguing from a perspective where D&D is the only RPG?
Is that really what's going on here?

>So because you don't like traditional games you should be able to make non-tradition games quest threads on the traditional games board?

See >the mod who created /qst/ said that quests are Veeky Forums-related when he made the new board; just that they were too numerous to fit on Veeky Forums anymore.
>This was when we averaged eight or ten quest threads on Veeky Forums at a given time.

>Then you are not playing D&D anymore retard.
>If you are ignoring rules then you are not playing D&D, you are playing a homebrew that rips most of it's ruleset from D&D.
I'm still playing a tabletop RPG retard, that's my point.
>Because there are no rules for the limitations on what a character can or can't do other than arbitrary QM decisions.
Okay? Everything that you do in a campaign ultimately boils down to the GM's discretion. If it didn't, shit like the peasant railgun would be a viable tactic.

Just because you call something something does not make that something the something.
Anyone can roll dice and say "If you roll higher than whatever the fuck number you do it"
That's a step removed from freeform, but a role playing game it is not.
Risus doesn't even have movement or action speed rules.
Mods can be wrong user otherwise you wouldn't be complaining about mods removing quests from Veeky Forums.
>I'm still playing a tabletop RPG retard, that's my point.
But you are not.
>Everything that you do in a campaign ultimately boils down to the GM's discretion
You are fucking stupid. D&D functions as a tactical wargame on it's own, which is what facilitates character optimizing. Character optimizing that is posisble because D&D has functional rules that aren't the DMs arbitrary decision. The DM can decide to veto those rules, but then they are not playing D&D anymore and are playing the DMs homebrew rules.
Shit like Adventure League and Pathfinder Society LITERALLY require the DM following the games rules to function properly, because the rules are complete it is possible to do so.
>If it didn't, shit like the peasant railgun would be a viable tactic.
RAW peasant railgun doesn't work because things don't have momentum in the rules.
Yeah you could instantly transport things but it wouldn't be a railgun.

>But you are not.
Yes I am.
> The DM can decide to veto those rules, but then they are not playing D&D anymore
Who cares? The point was that you're still playing a tabletop RPG even if you change the rules that the campaign is based around. A game doesn't stop being a game because you changed the rules a bit.
>Yeah you could instantly transport things but it wouldn't be a railgun.
That would still be pretty fucking ridiculous though.

>A game doesn't stop being a game because you changed the rules a bit.

>Open D&D pdf in word document
>Delete all the words
>Write whatever bullshit you want
>It's still D&D, right?
Fuck off.
>That would still be pretty fucking ridiculous though.
The rules might not be perfect but they are there.
That's more than can be said for questfaggotry where the QM makes up whatever bullshit they want.

>Risus doesn't even have movement or action speed rules.
So you're claiming that something is or is not an RPG based on the criteria of whether or not the game has movement or action speed rules...

...but you're not a troll?

You do realize that there are more tabletop RPG's available than D&D right?
>The rules might not be perfect but they are there.
And any sensible GM will be there to say "no, you cannot stage dive from one end of the country to the next using an underground peasant railgun using skeleton mobs and STR boosting magical effects."
>That's more than can be said for questfaggotry where the QM makes up whatever bullshit they want.
Now you're just arguing in circles. There's nothing stopping me from running a campaign with my own homebrew if I wanted, which means that there's no oversight.

>So you're claiming that something is or is not an RPG based on the criteria of whether or not the game has movement or action speed rules...
No I'm claiming something is or not an RPG based on objective rules adjudicating outcomes with the set of rules comprehensive enough to form a game with minimal DM arbitration.
>...but you're not a troll?
No but you are an idiot.
>You do realize that there are more tabletop RPG's available than D&D right?
D&D is a point of reference everyone can recognize.
>And any sensible GM will be there to say
And the rules say otherwise. The problem with quests is that THERE ARE NO RULES THERE TO EVEN TELL YOU THAT THE DM IS IGNORING THE RULES therefore they are not a game.
>There's nothing stopping me from running a campaign with my own homebrew if I wanted, which means that there's no oversight.
You might or might not be playing a role playing game though. You can jerk yourself off roleplaying with chess pieces but unless you follow the rules you are NOT playing Chess.

>The problem with quests is that THERE ARE NO RULES THERE TO EVEN TELL YOU THAT THE DM IS IGNORING THE RULES therefore they are not a game.
One, you are factually wrong, as there are quests with strong rulesets. Two, this excludes a *lot* of other Veeky Forums content.

>the majority of Veeky Forums liked having quests on this board.
Not this shit again.

>D&D is a point of reference everyone can recognize.
It's also irrelevant since this discussion was about tabletop RPG's in general, not D&D specifically. Hell, the only one talking about D&D is you.
>And the rules say otherwise.
The rules are also flawed and allow a lot of bullshit if the GM doesn't sit down and put his foot down. Besides, Rule 0 is also a rule, and most GM's will use Rule 0 to say "no, that's retarded."
>The problem with quests is that THERE ARE NO RULES THERE TO EVEN TELL YOU THAT THE DM IS IGNORING THE RULES therefore they are not a game.
Wrong, because most quests actually have a primer in the OP to tell you everything that you'd need to know, which happens to include rules for what is or is not allowed or possible in the quest.
>You might or might not be playing a role playing game though.
Why? Because I'm not playing D&D?

>One, you are factually wrong
Game:
>a form of play or sport, especially a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.
Where's the fucking rules
>as there are quests with strong rulesets.
Why haven't you posted any? If these rulesets are so strong, surely you saved an image containing any rules whatsoever. Or even copied the rules to notepad or SOMETHING.
Or are the rules shitty and worthless so they weren't worth anything beyond that particular quest circlejerk?

Apparently unlike you, if I see content in /wbg/ or /gdg/ I like I save it and can even repost it.