>an NPC starts railroading the game and rule 0-ing and fiating everything
>not the GM, an NPC
How do you approach this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=npTC6b5-yvM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptation_(film)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I stop watching weebshit.

You'd need the right group and a very careful approach, but it could make for a very interesting bit of meta-fictional storytelling.

Although the implicit spoiler is kinda shitty of you OP. It's a game that deserves to be gone into blind.

Have you tried not playing dnd

I don't get it. Is somebody else controlling the NPC? Another person? Or is the DM using some kind of simulation to control certain NPCs?

Fucking haruhi.

It was annoying in the Fractured But Whole but good luck

Sail off with a better girl

I think you mean best girl.

I think he means like, the NPC is acting in a meta sense and knows the party are players and trying to force them to complete whatever objective the NPC wants.

Thats pretty dumb.

Fertilize her.

>not the GM, an NPC
Aren't NPCs controlled by the GM?

Call an ambulance because my GM is having a goddamn stroke.

OP just wanted to post a picture of an anime girl on Veeky Forums. The content of his text field is immaterial.

Just delete the NPC from the game,problem solved

Teleport them into CWCville and see what happens.

This is a more important question than the responses so far would indicate. Now, it has never happened to me yet, sure, but I honestly wouldn't know what to do if an NPC started to take control of the game away from the GM. What DO you do when fictional characters start manifesting wills independent from their creator?

Do you just burn every single campaign note and never speak of it again? Would that stop the NPC? Or do you need to perform some kind of exorcism to banish the NPC back to the realm of fiction?

Does anyone on Veeky Forums have experience with this issue?

user, your GM didn't do some stupid occult ritual right?

He's describing the character, who is from a VN. She's self-aware and messes with game mechanics so she's the only one left to love.

[X] TPK

Have you tried not being a faggot.

>"It's not a bug, it's a feature"

My sides.

>it's "muh fourth wall" bullshit episode on Storytelling 101 again

If you have to rely on fourth wall interactions to make an interesting story, THEN YOUR STORY ISN'T INTERESTING, YOU FUCKING RETARD.
That's the exact difference between Doki Doki and literally any other novel - Doki Doki RELIES on interactions with the audience, whereas VNs with actually interesting plot don't.

It's like, I don't know, the difference between a shitty YouTuber and an actually good YouTuber.
A shitty YouTuber RELIES on the interaction with his audience to remain popular. A good YouTuber simply releases interesting content which consists of him doing what he likes to do.
You know, people like Grand Illusions, Primitive Technology etc. etc.

>b-but I'll delete myself and/or the character files!
Fuck off, Monika. No one likes you. And take this () psychotic bitch from Kimi to Kanojo with you.

activate the isekai-com project.

Just Monika
Just Monika
Just Monika
Just Monika
Just Monika

Actually, I don't think that's the case at all. Breaking the 'fourth wall' is just another tool to use narrative, as far as it goes in a narrative medium.

It can be bad or be good. And Doki doesn't rely on interactions with the audience. It depicts depression pretty well with one of it's girls, it expects you to get attached to them. The meta stuff only comes in at Parts 2 and 3 where the crux of the VN picks up. It's all revolving around Monika and her self-awareness of the medium that she's in.

A lot of love went into Part 3 alone, considering how much dialogue Monika has alone.

Instantaneous assassination

This.

I worte two extra-long detailed posts to argue your viewpoint, but Veeky Forums just ate it, so I'll just give you the short version.

The revelation of "you were interacting with the characters directly and not through avatar all along!" is weak as fuck. The fourth-wall awareness should never derail the main plotline.
The medium awareness might be inextricable from and essential to the plot, but it should never be THE plot.

But the NPC is run by the GM... so it's still the GM pulling this shit.

It's not really weak, though, at least as far as the game goes. The protagonist (not you) is the one talking to the girls. Through that interaction, you get to know more about them. This is true for any VN - or rather, any story. The fourth-wall awareness doesn't come into play until Monika starts shifting things around, and even then we're not aware of the revelation yet. That isn't until Part 3.

The other characters aren't aware of their circumstances, until the true ending where Monika estranges herself from the situation, allowing Sayori to take the reins of the club and, in turn, the revelation of the world.

The game begins to freak the player out, messing with them by exaggeration of each character's faults and through the interface itself. It ramps up to the climax with Monika, where we get answers to what's going on.

I think Doki does a pretty good job of handling the 'meta' as we build up to it, it isn't present in the narrative blatantly outside of that. It's the kind of game you play, experience, then leave after experiencing it.

>my opinion is FACT: the poster
Hang yourself. It's not to your tastes, but this does not imply it is of any objectively deficient quality.

>pulling the word "objectively" when discussing media
No, user, (You) are the fucking retard. I will not preface my every post with "In my opinion" just because you are unable to comprehend that all posts pertaining media are subjective.

Veeky Forums is being a buzzkill for some reason. I've done this as a plot point before.

Monika's Writing Tip of the Day:

First of all, decide how the NPC knows any of it. The reason can be as simple as "it just noticed that all distance measurements for most things is in increments of 5 ft."; spontaneous meta insight is fine. Personally, the way I did it is that the NPC found a real world object (a blu-ray disk) and started researching it, going "insane" as it learned the truth about the world.

Now, it's important to decide how much the NPC knows. It might know that everything in the game world (including itself) is fiction/an illusion, and that the PCs are the only "real" people in the game, but not things like what the "real world" looks like. I recommend that the NPC does not know of the existence of a "gm"; it instead merely knows the world's destiny and inner-workings are predetermined by a scripted "fate." My example knows bits and pieces of the alternate world, and that a supreme entity created his reality as a simulation.

You should also decide what abilities it can use. Perhaps the NPC can merely access meta information, or maybe it can rewrite it's own stats. If you are mad enough, you could even have it start rewriting the plot lore. If you do write ups for your games or make handouts, I recommend having "the NPC" go in and change them.

Next, decide what the NPC will do now that it knows the "truth." Perhaps it tries enlighten others to alleviate it's intellectual isolation, or perhaps it is fine with just becoming the ruler of all it's limited existence. Maybe it is obsessed with the PCs, the only characters in the game that operate on a different scale. Whether or not the NPC can sense PCs is up to you. My example tried to create a portal to the "real world" so that it could become a real person, though doesn't know about the existence of PCs.

Lastly, be sure to roleplay it well. The NPC likely has the potential for some interesting role play!

Even in our world, there are people who would be willing entertain the notion that our reality is a simulation being run on some hyperdimensional supercomputer. It wouldn't be too far a stretch for such a person to exist as an NPC in a game. The question, then, is how the NPC becomes able to affect change in their surroundings beyond what their "script" should allow.

Such a person in a fantasy world may worship mad gods of pleasure who find perverse satisfaction is watching their champions work through the world and appeal to one of the champions to gain similar powers. It wouldn't be dissimilar from how the player's perspective is a critical character in Bravely Default and Bravely Second, being a deific existence ultimately responsible for leading the heroes to foil the villains' plots.

In a sci-fi game, something like Eclipse Phase actually presents this as a possibility for a campaign plot. The simulation ending certainly counts as an existential threat to transhumanity, so a character who discovers the nature of their reality (possibly through contact with an ETI or contracting some strain of the exsurgent virus) would do their best to hamper the players' efforts to complete their objectives, which would eventually cause the simulation to end.

That's literally just FATE.

>boohoo why doesn't anyone like my shit story
oh cry me a river you fucking autist

I wouldn't say that the medium awareness "is the plot" so much as used to facilitate a plot which could not be done without it.

Thank you Monika. Don't let that praise go to your head.

This. An Eclipse Phase-esque setting that deals with transhumanity, and beings like the Ahamkara from Destiny, can make for great plotlines about the Player-character eventually becoming more divorced from the Player, either through meta-awareness or eldritch corruption that drives them insane.

This.

I find it hard to believe you'd be ranting and railing the way you were if you really thought it was subjective.

Also, a pedantic point but there are elements of objectivity in media quality, though they are also relative. Not quite the same as subjective.

this, all joking aside, the DM is controlling the NPC

I mean that might get a giggle at first,
but going down this road ends with me playing something retarded like a malkavian who's larping as me, or a cleric who worships the DM, or a psychic bard who sings songs about stuff that's written on peoples character sheets. the list go's on

I roll some dice, then punch the DM?

I delete them and laugh all the way to the bank

>I find it hard to believe you'd be ranting and railing the way you were if you really thought it was subjective.
Or perhaps I'm merely enjoying my anger.

>What DO you do when fictional characters start manifesting wills independent from their creator?
Delet
youtube.com/watch?v=npTC6b5-yvM

>implying Just "fuck my shit up" Monika is a good example of NPC going out-of-control

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptation_(film)

Tell him there's a nest of goblins on the bottom layer of the Abyss.