What would be a good old-school/medieval term for someone with innate psychic powers?

What would be a good old-school/medieval term for someone with innate psychic powers?
For context they are
- genetic/inherent
- separate from arcane studies/pacts
- more mental than physical; telepathic > telekinetic

> Medium is usually associated with ghosts or spirits
> Psyker is 40k
> Empath is too sci-fi
> Orcale/auger are too specific

Witch.

A witch.

/thread

Soothsayer.
Seer.

Mystic
Soothsayer
Oracle
Demonspawn
Seer
Devilkin
Witch
Blaggard
Faerie-Child
Sorceress

The possibilities are endless. Yes, a few of those are just "insults" that the commoners would use.

nah

Same sort of problem with Oracle/auger; typically associated almost exclusively with the ability to see the future, or scry information.

Kind of depends on what you're going for: a common name could be anything from . You could just use "psychic" as a more academic classification, though.

> separate from arcane studies/pacts
-is kind of the primary issue with these suggestions, as well as my own block.

Of them, Seer is perhaps the most appropriate, could be thematically worked as "someone who sees what others cannot," and so on, but it's not jumping out at me due to it's associated preconceptions.

Psychokino

Alternatively, Mind Mystics

Some kind of Indian thing like Sadhu or Yogi. Most of that psychic stuff is originally Indian when you get down to it.

Dude, you can not like it all you want, but there is an old medieval term for a person with nondescript supernatural powers. That term is witch.

>Psychokino
hearty chuckle

>Nah
Let me guess, because they're not actually a witch? Historically, humanity has not been real inclined to make that distinction, it to give a shit when they do

Yah. It's witch user. What you're talking about is a witch.

Why not just call them psychic? If psychic powers is a known phenomena distinct from magic, it would make sense for them to have a word for it.

it depends if you're looking for a term with an academic kind of specificity, or just what they'd be called by the public at large

Good old psychic seems fine to me. It comes from Greek 'psyche'. You could find a foreign word for the same thing if it fits the setting, like übersinnlich or cetas

Newtype

Because what OP is looking for is "cock", because he is such a fag that he can't just use established terms

user, witches IRL weren't really associated as a concept as "studying" and amusingly not really that much with pacts either, unless your setting apes catholicism... and even in that case, not necessarily

Questions would be:
1) Do we indeed have a church equivalent? If so, are we talking about a "technical" term or soemthing the illiterate but still moderately intelligent innkeeper would use?
2) Are they "evil" in some way? (see also 1, are they opposed to the powers or something)
3) What exactly do their powers do? Well, not exactly, but what are their fields of expertise?
4) What are the terms for magical nerds and magical pact users you're talking about?

Take a leaf out of RoleMaster's book and call them Mentalists.
Alternatively, mynd/mind + (craftname) to make your own term, eg. myndweaver.

Witch
Bride of Satan
Devilkin
Sorceress

Wizard

A technical usage would be:

>general magic user
Taumathurge. Literally a wonder worker.

>arcane nerds
Bibliomancer.

>you just need to make a pact with me and become a meguca
Goetes, like goetia

>muh ancestry
Fataticus (as in, akin to fairies)

>I'll add a cleric one just to be sure
Theophile, of course, friend of the gods

Non-techincal usage would be a mess: witch/wizard would probably be the catchcall term and amusingly enough the more correct (corresponding more or less to thaumaturge) but they would use enchantress for any relatively good looking thaumaturge that messes with glamour, summoner for whoever uses circles of evocations (often a goetes, but not always), demon spawn for whoever "looks strange", and so on.

Oh, and monks of the shaolin persuasion could be something like adeides(es), as in they kinda embody the void, but that might not work in your setting.

BTW the fataticus implies of course that origin of those would be magical, not "mutants".

I think this one is actually the best.

Telekinesis
>Mind mage
>Witch
>Auramancer
Telepathy
>Seer
>Oracle
>Spiritist
>Necromancer

Mesmerist
evil eye
Enthraller
Magius (as in Simon Magius, straight out of the bible, yo!)
Jinxer
Soultouched
Changeling
Ensorcelled
Fae Touched
Knower, one who has knowledge without seeing or being told... I feel like there's a word for it...

Witch (woman) and warlock (man) make pacts with the devil. "mancy" of any variety is divination, with a focus on future events. Seer and Oracle both deal with divination as well. (unrelated, just realized that warlock is a corruption of werelock, were being the term for man from that period. Wonder if the lost word for woman is somewhere in witch...)

Oh! Of course! Psychic powers: Enchanter

During that period there was no hard line between internal mental power externalized to effect the world and magic. They would call someone like this a shaman, a mystic, a witch, etc, depending on their terminology and beliefs regarding these things.

Maybe the term 'sage' is more what you're after. I find that implies internal mental power much more than it does external arcane power.

Incantatrix

The pair of were is wif, as in weremann and wifmann

Wyrd
Changeling
Medium

Since slang usually come from the street:

Wise-guy
Fat head
Weirdo
Snitch lips
Fib Teller
Knower
Tomorrower

mind reader
mentalist

Witches aren't really connected with arcane magic.

Hypnotist.
Mesmerist
Mind Speaker.
Speaker of the Silent Voice.
Enlightened Spirit.
Mind Mage.
Ardent Spirit.
Lurk.
Thought Slayer.

That's a depends-on-the-setting notion.

The thread is ABOUT depends-on-the-setting things!
Can we stop saying "depends on the setting" in threads about "Hey, what are plausible things to include in my setting?" It's retarded.

Got a few ideas,

Animo is Latin for mind so

Animagus
Animer
Animeister
Animus
Animancer

Alternative with french, pensee means thought

Penser
Penseer
Penserer

Skepsi is Greek for thought

Skepser
Skepseer
Skepsighter

If you wanna try the ghost/spirit angle

Phantomancer
Phantasmer
Phantomer
Phantomagus
Phantomeister

This post seems to be OP
This one replying to it doesn't seem to be, and shouldn't be assuming facts or presenting them for others. If the second one is OP then I apologize.

"Natural Philosopher"

It's driving me fucking nuts that I can't remember that one antiquated term for "psychologist" or "neurologist" that used to exist before the modern ones did. It was something like "mentalist" but I believe it started with an S and it had a really cool name, like "strangologist" or something similarly odd. It was really cool and it's absolutely killing me that I can't think of it.

I think there's another issue. The whole idea of "arcane magic" (as in, vs divine magic) is a DND abstraction, not really something you could use to refer to IRL things.

That means that unless we're instructed about how these "witches" work, "arcane magic" is mostly meaningless

>yeah, all this shit does derive from the idea of christianity of divine powers vs evil magic, but it's not the same thing

>user wants a super special title instead of calling her a witch

Doesn't matter what you want to call it user. Witch was the catch-all term for any woman suspected to have supernatural abilities.

>woman
or man
it was a gender neutral term, originally, it's just that they got more lady witches than male ones, or at least that's how we think of it today

What is this from?

Tree of Savior, it's an MMO.

>Mesmerist
it's also magus, not magius

absolutely kino

bundle of kindling
also op

Distinction was not made between mind and soul, consciousness

It would be called an Anima or Animus, from Jungs terms for the feminine and masculine subconscious, derived from Anim.

The Latin root anim means “mind” or “spirit.” The root anim is easily recalled via the word animal, for an animal is a living, moving creature and so contains a “spirit” and “mind.”

You could go for catch-all Animist, but this term has other connotations in historical shamanism.

>nah

literally fucking yes, you retard.

Op is a Fascis?

>typically associated almost exclusively with the ability to see the future, or scry information.
Given their apparent ability to read minds and send thoughts, that would seem pretty fucking likely what they'd mostly be known for you fickle bitch.

close same root

>literally fucking yes

Depends on setting, dumbass.

>old-school/medieval term
Witch

Ascended Masters

bump

Ignoring the replies of people complaining, I assume you don't just want a slur and want a term used by colleagues?

I don't see anything wrong with simply psychic, telepath or seer

>don't try to do anything different

You are as retarded as the witchfags