/bgg/ Board Game General - autistic muppets have been with us since the beginning edition

Previous thread
Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#
Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

So tired of the shitposting, time to try steering into the skid. Let's hear those unpopular opinions /bgg/; not the ones you post to rile people, the ones you keep hidden inside. What terrible game is your absolute favorite? What acclaimed title can you just not stand? Are you the user who prefers stickers to engraved dice? There's got to be someone misguided enough to prefer not-Dune to Dune, tell us why user.

Other urls found in this thread:

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/119890/agricola-all-creatures-big-and-small
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>tfw no on ever wants to play Millennium Blades

>check the map
>there's a pin close to me
>what the fuck it's in the same town my bg meetup's in
>based on the info given I don't think I've ever met them
what the fuck user come to the damn meetup

>tfw I want to buy Millenium Blades but I know no one will ever want to play it and storing it is going to be a bitch after I sleeve all that fucking shit

It hurts

Same story, different game.
MAGE WAAAAAAAAAARRRRSSSS!!!

I'd love to try out Millennium Blades but none of my friends would give it a try

Level99 is great at making games with lots of depth that no one ever wants to get more than an intro play into

fucking BCO can't come fast enough

see, the map fucking worked.

fuck you h8rs

>Let's hear those unpopular opinions /bgg/

I have never played a 4X game and don't really want to.

Every game I own, even ones I played before buying is shit and boring and even though I recommend them I actually dislike everything I own.

>old pic related

Or it scared the user so much he'll never go to the meetup or leave the house again

well it scared so much he won't even give a state and obviously didn't put a pin so we all get to go to our meetups and wonder which user wants to yiff our copy of Gloomhaven so...
>works as intended

why give the state? go to meetup.com, make an account, see if there's one in your town, go to it, have a 3% chance of meeting me irl, and for the love of god don't ask anyone there if they post on Veeky Forums

I will never, never tell you

I will say to the East Hartford, CT guy who says there's no one to play games with around you, go to the store in Manchester dickhead. I used to live in the area and they have a good group there. Jesus people are dumb as rocks it's literally a 10 minute drive

there are 27 in my town, or more accurately on my SIDE of town. I tried to create a 5e submeetup and before I'd finished typing the description 15 people had signed up.

but thanks, now I know to look through all the pinned towns, find the one with only ONE meetup and I'll know where to bring the brownies.

I'd love to see you try haha I'm behind 30 proxies hahahahahahahaha also I'm carb-free sorry

>I'm carb-free sorry
not for long bestie
not for long

Been considering buying Yashima for almost two years now. What's good/bad about it?

My collection. It's pretty small but at least most of my games get played fairly regularly. Anything you'd recommend that would complement my collection?

Trade em user
I agree though your collection is lackluster

Honestly, I don't' even feel bad about hating Yashima.

Every card is packed with unnecessary info that just makes them hard to understand.
The game is likewise unnecessarily complex- it's not HARD it's just everything is obscured by all kinds of superfluous information.
Facing is a core aspect of the game but the minis have zero indication of facing (pose, mark, shape).
The premise is beyond stuipd.
The board itself sucks.
The layout rules suck.
The maps are totally boring.
The player + style combinations are so dull as to be interchangeable without affect.
The hurr durr so complex attack patterns are stupid and just confuse people who don't have spatial awareness but are baby-tier for people who do (basically if you want this you want Onitama which I also don't like but doesn't have the fucking bullshit)
Eliminated players return to the game (crabs in a bucket, aka kingmaking)

Only 1 out of 7 people I played with even wanted to try it again, ever and usually my group is pretty chill about everything.

The only good thing is the art is top notch.

well, how about my todo list (in no specific order):

Buy:
Terraforming Mars *played
Race for the Galaxy *played
Clank! in space
Kemet
Forbidden Stars
King of NY
Great Western Trail *played
Roll Player
Flash Point

Look into:
Dominant Species
Fairy Tale
Castles of Burgundy: Card Game
Troyes
Arctic Scavengers
Yamatai
Stronghold

Maybe:
Trains: Rising Sun
Alien Frontiers
Kingsburg
Seasons
My Little Vineyard
Sagrada
Rhine River Trade

To Play:
Marco Polo (owned in group)

Damn that sounds pretty bad.

Can you recognize the board games in this image? I named a couple myself. Some of those packages look really familiar... but I just can't get the name in my head.

>RaceftG
Love it, I'll play any game of it just because I rarely see it played. Prefer it to roll for various reasons but basically it boils down to
Roll: game is push your luck, shipping is just part of your dice economy and a well executed turn will just make for a quick return on production
Race: game is about anticipating your opponents' choices, consuming requires planning ahead and is more rewarding when well-executed
>King of NY
Where Tokyo is a gateway game, NY is still the same gateway game with extra steps. I don't play either regularly, personally I got everything I wanted from the first play. I would only recommend Tokyo, and mostly just for kids like 7-11 y/o
>GWT
Really like it, lots of variability of play and I like how screwy it can get in the midgame with the traps or whatever they're called. Mister Pfister is one of my favorite designers who can do no wrong
>Roll Player
Actually a nice challenge but I don't personally like how some of the character abilities are OP and some are meh. The theme pushed me away actually but I have to admit they made a game that works well for it. Would play again
>Dominant Species
I'd love to get in more games of this. The specific brand of area control meets worker placement still hasn't been matched imo. If only it were just a tiny bit shorter
>CoBtCG
Love it. It's better than regular CoB to me, even though it plays out mostly the same. It's just such a meaty game and yet lightweight and in a small package
>Seasons
I used to be a lot higher on this game. I love drafting and I love the very inyourface cardplay. I just don't love crushing new players and I don't love getting crushed in online play lol
>Marco Polo
Pretty great euro although from a recent play I got the sense that the map is pretty limited. They're adding europe to the expansion though and I'd love to try that

Far right is The Resistance: Avalon
3rd in from the left is Once Upon a Time

There's skull, also pandemic in the lower right.

Bottom right-hand corner is obviously Pandemic

some are readable but the box is wrong

I'm really digging this DC game. Not tried the Watchmen yet.

Also not really looked up Netrunner or Legend of the Five Rings, but they're so popular it's got me interested.

Thanks for help. But what the hell are they playing here? Looks like Agricola except not?

is board gaming a thing in nipland?

that's the 2 player game
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small

They are playing the 2-player Agricola boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/119890/agricola-all-creatures-big-and-small

What's the anime btw.?

If anime and manga are any indication, it became more popular in recent years. There are a few manga that are more or less about boardgaming or at least have characters in boardgaming clubs, for example Houkago Saikoro Club (After School Dice Club).

There are also some boardgame developers there. Some examples of japanese boardgames are Tragedy Looper, Unicornus Knights, Love Letter and those sexualised Dominion clones (Tanto Cuore, Barbarossa, etc.).

For some reason this image is a lot crispier and you can read the labels.

I thought no, board games are a bit niche even in west. But this show is making me doubt.
Imouto sae ireba ii. It's pretty average.

Yup, I've actually seen a number of designs pop up from them lately. Onitama I'm pretty sure originates from there and I remember another game lately, Ravens of three something. Based on some anime but supposedly was kinda neat.

Rate his collection.

average fa/tg/uy /10

That green box next to avalon... That's a friedemann friese game, cant remember the title.

>2 dixits
Aber warum ?

No Ameritrash, seems like a cool guy.

>see, the map fucking worked.
the map only works if you're looking for a gay hookup you fucking homo kys

Looks like the daydreams expansion. Hard to see the box is smaller with their drawing.

Yeah I guessed it was an expansion, I felt like being a cunt because I'm not a big fan of Dixit.

Well, actually, it's ok, I'll play one game per year and that's fine.

>Let's hear those unpopular opinions /bgg/; not the ones you post to rile people, the ones you keep hidden inside.
I really enjoy Eric Lang designs.
Eagerly awaiting Rising Sun to ship. It has a cancerous KS but I really like the looks of the game.

Quick, post your favorite Carcasonne expansion hard mode: no I&C or T&B

My God, that nip rune Carcassone box has the Hans Im Gluck logo.
Also Elfenland with the Spiel Des Jahres stamp and Splendor nearby.

>What terrible game is your absolute favorite?
Not my favorite, but I think Ghostbusters is alright. The mechanics work, there's not much in the way of luck mitigation but I think optimizing team movement, action and good team coordination will usually win you games even with a few bad rolls.
>What acclaimed title can you just not stand?
There's not many games I truly hate, and those I hate are usually universally hated like munchkin or zombies!!!.
Maybe the only "popular" games I actually strongly dislike are Shadows over Camelot & Dead of Winter.
I find Camelot to be bland as fuck, and DoW's individual winning conditions to be a load of horseshit.
But then again, I have never found a "traitor" game that I liked, so there's that.

Pic related

Ok guys, which game is deeper, carcassonne or splendor?

YOUR MOM

I fucking love Dominion

Is that a meme opinion to have? Do people not like it here?

>tfw played SoC without the traitor once because the table didn't wanna have any backstabbers
what an exercise in tedium that was

I don't like Dominion but I don't really see anything offensive about it. It's not a game you see people militantly attacking when they don't like it.

3 major opinions.
Dominion is shit tier. Bland, ugly and dry, 0/10 do not want.
Dominion is the shiz! Bland, ugly and dry, 10/euro.
Meh.

SPIEL update: sry Reiner or whatever your name was, that I didnt have booth duties when you stopped by, just come say hi tomorrow, I should have a shift from 16:00 til the end.

Everybody feel free to stop by!

I played it a couple of times without the traitor before trying with the traitor.
Was bored in all games.

SoC is just shit. I don't know why that other guy called it "popular". I sure hope it's not a chart topper anywhere.

>playing Carc with expansions
Why would you do this

I'm that other guy and it seems pretty popular to me. The dice tower guys keep bring it up, it's 304 on BGG which isnt bad for an older game.

But I dont like it.

A lot of people own and play it. I think it's a case of Dominion though. It was first to a lot of things and a lot of people, especially who have been gaming back during it's release, respect it for that. Unlike Dominion though, it really has not aged well.

out of a database of 95000 games CoS is within the top 1%, so no, not bad.

>see, the map fucking worked.

Why yes - it *ALMOST* resulted in a board game being played. Almost...

Carcassonne

Oh yes. Get your butt ready:
I have never played Carcasonne and don't know how it's played

Five Tribes

Bit on the light side desu

Dominion, Catan and TtR are bad games but they are popular. The flaws are demonstrable but for some reason there are people who insist on only playing one of them. The backlash is more about the obvious flaws being ignored (I fucking wish Dominion wasn't about one thing, one strategy but was a good deck builder)- actually I wish all three were actually good games, but they are not. If you enjoy them, fine, but don't act like they aren't broken.

Actually I feel the same way about Machi Koro now that I know the "this one trick will win you every game" and it ruined it for me. It doesn't get as much rage because there is no cult following which only wants to play Machi Koro.

needs some weight?

I think TtR has a nice niche for itself though, because it's a very casual game you can teach to anyone in like 10 minutes

are you talking about base Dominion? Because nobody plays base Dominion

But there are so many better smoother games that aren't just first 30 turns draw cards, drop them all at once, hope there's no overlap.

>it's a very casual game you can teach to anyone in like 10 minutes
there are much better games like that tho that aren't painful to play

>nobody plays base Dominion
citation needed
>implying any of the expansions actually change the experience in any meaningful way
OP asked us not to shitpost, user

Carcassonne

How is gloom? I was thinking about picking it up for you a spooky Halloween game night

Give us more man
If it's the on in rancho I'm actually just in the I.E.

It's only fun if your group will have fun narrating what's happening to these characters. The mechanics do not create a rewarding experience on their own.

>OP asked us not to shitpost, user
No no I said let's just steer into it in the hopes it'd delay the "NO U" part of the tread.

I'm finding Potion Explosion hits that sort of niche pretty well lately. It's prolly a 6-7 for a lot of people but the short playtime, and the fact you don't have to teach the base mechanic of the game because fucking EVERYONE has played Bejwelled/Candy Crush (meaning all I have to teach is what potion does what and the end trigger) has me feeling like it's an 8/10. It's not something you'd play forever, but it's a nice change-up from Splendor/TtR/Century, and the tactile feel of those marbles.......

Not spooky, Gloom is cutesy storytime with scoring mechanics on top of it.

Any other games you'd recommend btw, /bgg/?

>totally serious games are not "fun" they are contests of mental skill
Pick a GMT title, they're pretty much all fantastic and there's loads of depth with a high strategy to luck ratio

>oh shit I spilled my beer on your cards
Coconuts; yes it's the top children's game on BGG and that must mean it' childish, whatever. It's beer pong that you can play with your 5yr old, just make sure to buy an extra bag of the coconuts when you get it, lil fuckers are easy to disappear.

>GMT title
Sorry, I'm too new to understand this. What's a GMT title?

GMT games, they do war games/simulations, most of them are CDG (card driven games) which reward replaying them so you learn most/all of the cards. They also print C&C Ancients, which is the stickers on blocks version of the Richard Borg system you also find in BattleCry: Gettysburg, BattleLore, and Memoir '44

agreed to be honest. not to put everybody down but if you're a social person in a semipopulated area, you should be tripping over game groups. If you're not a social person, I probably don't want to play with you
not you dude

>most of them are CDG
not correct

>not the ones you post to rile people
it's not my fault that the petulant manchilds get assblasted over objective facts, but I'm glad that my efforts have generated discussion. like feminism, generating discussion is VERY important and we can all benefit from pointing out the finer intricacies of what makes a good, enjoyable board game that we can apply when we achieve /bgg/ utopia and collectively design a walking simulator board game together

>What terrible game is your absolute favorite?
Cosmic Encounter, I find it to be amazing with the right group. would I bring it to any events on Meetup? fuck no, my experiences have been mostly terrible where I've had to deal with both extremes of the amount of table banter, but I can easily play it at my LGS and have a good ol' time doing some casual shit talking while being finishing it within a reasonable time frame

I wouldn't call it my absolute favourite or in my top 10, but I still rate it much higher than actual shit such as XCOM

>What acclaimed title can you just not stand?
I played Notre Dame at a meetup (this particular meetup was the outlier in that I had a good time playing with and talking to strangers) and as I said last thread, it is the most boring piece of shit ever. completely soulless. if this is what I should generally expect from Feld games, I shudder to think of what anything else from him plays like

keep trying anons, don't give up hope! try gauging interest at your LGS, you'll probably have a better chance there

I used a shitload of baggies for each set and characters and had no problem fitting all expansions in the base game box. use thin sleeves and small baggies and you should be fine, trash the shitty insert

GMT is a games publisher famous for such titles as Twilight Struggle, Commands & Colors: Ancients, and Advance Squad Leader (ASL for short), aka "The least friendly game towards player entry in existence"

>Kemet
it's the most middle-of-the-line wargame to ever exist, but that's not a bad thing. acquiring player powers through the open market gives you a good degree of experimentation, and I find that to be its greatest strength
>Flashpoint
a better light weight co-op than Pandemic purely on the basis that it's less predictable, and fire fighting is such a comfy theme

>7 Wonders
uninteresting, better at 3P than any other player count
>WH:ACG
terrible rulebook, dead game. do you want my copies of this and 7W? I want to clear up space
>Smash Up
shitty game with a bland meme theme. Millennium Blades is a much better game and better theme if you're after a meme theme game
>King of Tokyo
good if you want a thematic Yahtzee
>L5R
actually good, but being a brand new LCG the card pool doesn't have a great amount of deckbuilding variety yet. the first cycle should rectify this quickly

>terrible rulebook, dead game. do you want my copies of this and 7W? I want to clear up space
If you were a UK cuck, I'd gladly take 'em.

Apart from that, thanks for the advice. I'm gonna check out Millennium Blades for sure. And maybe leave L5R until the expansh/cycle.

Only Eric Lang game I have is Chaos in the Old World and I actually really like it.
Never backed a KS one. What made it cancerous?

>completely soulless. if this is what I should generally expect from Feld games, I shudder to think of what anything else from him plays like
They're all like that.

I've heard here (so it's probably a lie) that Lang was just the head of the committee designing the game, which based on his output since then implies he dragged it down.

Ah. I have yet to find a designer that nails it every time for me. I'll just stick to Chaos when it comes to Lang.

Who else is hype for this?

>check the map
>no one in Michigan
:-(

What are some good, easy to find, solo-able board games?

Mag Knight.
Solo is even better with the Lost Legion expac. Like, massively so.

AU, unfortunately. I might be able to ship WH:ACG for fairly cheap, however

Millennium Blades riffs on anime/TCG/vidya and other general pop culture, so keep that in mind if someone has an allergic reaction to anime. even then, some people seem to sperg out to the art style for being a textbook case of western anime. the deckbuilding phase can be extremely intense for people who haven't played any board games with real time elements. it's still a brilliant game that has longevity due to the sheer content, but definitely requires multiple plays to get a good grasp of the groove. L5R also needs two core sets to play competitively (preferrably three) which is annoying as you'll have excess cards, but you should be able to find other people playing it due to the fanbase of the original TCG. same with Netrunner, but I'd rather keep up with L5R

that's a shame, I feel that I should try Castles of Burgandy since it's a top 10 game on BGG but I'd be going in with low expectations

at this point there's two designers with more than one game that have a perfect score with me, Jim Felli and Cole Wherle. my copy of John Company is on the boat and I'm looking forward to it. Brett Murrell and Trey Chalmers have excellent games and I'm interested in their upcoming games

easy-to-find is subjective in this case (only directly available from the publisher) and I'm no expert in solo games, but I hear that Agricola, Master of Britain (not related to the Agricola that everyone knows) is an excellent solo game

I'll look into that, thanks user.

Is Space Hulk: Death Angel worth the ridiculous price its going for now that FF lost the GW license?

It's worth it if you can find it for less than $30 S&H included.
It's really is a blast, but it's sooo easily P&P-able that the question is really how much you're willing to pay for the linen finish.