Not having an adventuring party entirely made up of best friends willing to live and die for each other and are always...

>not having an adventuring party entirely made up of best friends willing to live and die for each other and are always working towards each other's best interests

What's your excuse?

Have you ever tried living with your “best friends” in an apartment or something? It rarely works out, because you’ll eventually be at each other’s throats in the long run. You’re better off getting complete strangers and seeing if you can cultivate a friendship that way.

Same goes for adventuring parties. All the best ones involve a band of strangers.

My group can't make characters I don't hate, and just being in their party is already a stretch.

>Have you ever tried living with your “best friends” in an apartment or something? It rarely works out, because you’ll eventually be at each other’s throats in the long run
spoken like a true autist
I bet you think the opposite sex is out to get you as well?

>Implying this isn't my goal
But someone always wants to play the "lolsorandom" character who is invariably an asshole because "edgy"

>not having a group of dirty mercs who are from all walks of life but share one thing in common, all seeking profit, and would slit each other's throats if the coin is right and are only adventuring because it's the current job

What's your excuse?

Not having an adventuring party made up from very different people from all walk of life who can't stand each other. Not watching them grow from hatred, to grudging respect, to genuine affection over the course of their adventures.

Not going from total strangers to a family over the course of your campaign.

Even better to spice it up a little.

Our party grew up in the same village and we played some childhood adventures as kids (exploring the woods, finding old sealed ruins and stuff). Then we parted ways when our characters reached adolescence and started training, and we reunited after the timeskip 4 years later when the "real game" began next session at level 1. So we are still good friends, but everyone had a separate private backstory that let them diverge a bit from who they were as kids.

For example, one player's PC and mine grew up practically as siblings, and we both were gifted with magic. But my PC was adopted by a druid who always intended to train her as his successor and stayed with him, whereas his PC was taken as an apprentice by a wizard. We developed completely opposite views regarding our place in the world - he became self-centered and aspires control and power, she is selfless and just wants to protect what's dear to her. But we're still best friends, just learning new things about each other's PCs again.

Because I have mind-control levels of social skills.

The party members are the only people who don't completely like my character.

What's your secret, then?

The last group i played with were all edgrlord with characters that have "distrust everyone" and "don't play well with others" in their bio.

>Have you ever tried living with your “best friends” in an apartment or something?

Yes I have and it was fucking great. This is the kind of shit spewed by mouth breathing retards who have at best learned to mimic something resembling human interaction and "friendship". They are at bottom nothing more than something akin to lizard people, a foul immitation of real humanity.

Living with your bros and power of friendship is GOAT and you are a pathetic existence.

Because half the party has declared in the most casual terms that if they decide I've done anything against their own moral and ethical standards they'll kill me without hesitation.
To my face.

And then demanded to know everything I do.
Treat a man like a rabid dog and eventually he's going to snap at you.

On the other hand I get on great with the other half of the party and we're tighter than a pair of ass cheeks.

And I pick up NPCs like stray cats, at least on average 7 out of 10 would die for the character in question.
So hey, it ain't all bad.

I spend my gold on property and get tax from the peasants working the land. As such I get large amount of income per month.

In and of itself this isn't bad.

What made them miffed at me was when I bought the nearly bankrupt kingdom of the princess they where waifuing and put the infinitely more qualified vizier in charge. I then hired the princess as a hireling for transcribing my research. Needless to say this went swimmingly.

I meant your "mind-control levels of social skills."

I hate half the people i play with and their characters usually have the depth of "he's an elf"

He has a high IQ, extremely high social skills, and brainwashing at grandmaster level.

That's your fault, not an excuse.

We have all almost killed each other at some point or another, the only reason we are together is because we're the only ones who know about the ancient evil that is about to be unleashed on the land.

>what's your excuse?

This party of gene-modded mutants, rock-men, androids, and other wannabe Stalkers are the first real friends our hellspawn protagonist has ever had.

There are basically no normal humans out here in robotown.

pic unrelated?

We're mostly evil/neutral-aligned and self-centered, and the world is ending.
That wouldn't necessarily mean we can't be friends, but three of the five characters are pretty panicky so they're mostly trying to save their own skins.

That said. Our DM has us play two different groups: the aforementioned evil guys, and another made of good guys.

The good guy group is actually made up of four half-siblings, and my character, a young 18 years old warrior who stumbled upon them a bit later. The siblings, despite being very different, get on very well. As to the fighter, he's got a bit of an inferiority complex regarding them since they were reknowned heroes long before he joined them, but they treat him as their little brother. It's actually pretty sweet - they spared him the knowledge that our enemies had executed innocents, ressurected his girlfriend before he realized she had suffered in the crossfire during a big fight, etc. Their reasoning being that he doesn't need to become as jaded as they are, not yet, not while they can spare him and he matures a bit.

My wizard and our ranger/fighter are bffs. The monk is cool with some of us, so is the bard. Except the pirate. He likes to fuck with me, I think.

heh.

>Not having an adventuring party made up of family members

This. I don't understand what kind of people end up getting into regular fights with their friends after living together for a while.

>That pic
>That made up story
>That misunderstanding of the point of that booth

Same here. Living with my best friends was great, because we already got along.

>7-10 npcs that will die for you without question.
>half of the party with you
why haven';t you imprisoned those fuckers in a cell to rot?

My party is all female, so...

It just occurred to me. Casca literally had her brains fucked out.

Well please, by all means tell me the point of the booth, since my understanding is that the prices are based on a misguided attempt at racial equality through the weird American view of a "classless" society.

Should they start off as best friends willing to live and die for each other and are always working towards each other's best interests, or do they become that over time after starting off as strangers?

Living with my mates has been the best experience I've ever had. I've lived with family, I've lived with colleagues, I've lived alone; and all of them sucked compared to living with my bros

I'm a schizoid who very much simulates normal socialization, and even I enjoyed living with friends. I believe this meme comes from people who were not taught basic homekeeping.