/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2/posts/2018962
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/a-little-island-in-a-sea-of-kickstarts-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
Have you ever played the card game?
>5th edition cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da
>New Deviant preview
theonyxpath.com/one-of-a-kind-deviant-the-renegades/

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?817741-RPG-Industry-sexual-harassment-Mentzer-abuse-and-what-do-we-do-about-it/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why is mummy never discussed ?

Because I'm the only person who ever brought it up here and I quit supporting these games.

I'm kind of excited about deviant, more for the fact that its apparently going to have variable powers and power levels and a few other things and seeing how I can rip that for other gamelines.

Did you always dislike wod and stuck around cause it was all that did what it did, or did you like it but then find the PbtA things and decide to move on?

I liked it a lot, bailed on this place because I'm not a big Veeky Forums person anymore, quit WoD/CofD after the debacle with David Hill, and now sometimes I come here to shitpost and offer people alternative games.

In addition, the line's done, the big mystery is...MOSTLY solved and the next edition is coming sometime before the heat death of the universe. Not much to talk about, unfortunately.

Offer me a game that doesn't require other humans to play with.

No one wants to play a game where your character gets weaker over time.

jacking off

There's still the question of what the fuck the Shan'iatu are (they honestly sound a fair bit like Pangaeans if we wanna get crossover-y)and how the Judges of Life relate to the Judges of Death. Plus there's some fun Dark Eras coming along, and 2e should hopefully fix some of 1e's weirdness; it's just a shame I can't write on it.

I do! Or did, at least.

>tfw The Immortal playbook for Urban Shadows is shit and doesn't make for a good Mummy replacement at all
>tfw I'm gonna have to write a Legacy hack myself instead

Honestly anyone who likes White Wolf games should probably make the switch to PbtA, or at least play the games more often. The system is pretty much Storyteller/Storytelling/Storypath's system advanced at a way faster rate than the system normally would. It really shows in CofD 2e, which might as well be a halfway house to PbtA.

Do you guys allow your players to play effeminate men who are overtly fond of having cock in their mouth and anus, preferably both at once? Asking before I write up my character.

Wait, there are more outside of the core? Shit, off to the pdf share threads then

CofD 2e is more like the bastard child of clunky, twenty year-old Storyteller and someone's misunderstanding of what makes FATE work.

My players only make cute girls.

Bully Pulpit has a Solitaire RPG, I think it's called The Factory or something like that.

Wait, is there some other way to play Vampire?

Girls are icky. I want to play a slender femboy with a cute little cock who gets anally abused by many werewolves and brutish Frankenstein monsters, whilst lovingly sucking off a wizard and getting a moneyshot from two vampires!

I wouldn't trade the ex3 system for anything and I happen to kinda like how the new scion/trinity system is shaping
Now if only more fucking books came out

Just play mages.

Dark Streets added the Revenant (a Sin-Eater or Risen, for folks here), the Hallowed (a cult leader), the Scholar (a mortal relic trader), and the Vessel (a Promethean, done wonderfully well). Then they just added The Dragon (a draft Beast; a monster spirit reincarnated in mortal form, pursued by hunters) and The Immortal (utter shit).

Nah, it's very clearly approaching PbtA around the broadsides. Beats are just a fiddly version of Experience, whole Merits have become more specific versions of Read a Sitch, the greater emphasis on One Success to Succeed is slowly approaching Miss/Weak Hit/Strong Hit, and CofD was already about the bell curve like PbtA is.

There's actually very, very little one can see of Fate in 2e. Conditions are closer to more specific versions of Apocalypse World 1e's Conditions than Aspects.

Have you read City of Mist? I've never been so mechanically enamored with a game before. It takes the best ideas from FATE and sticks them onto a PbtA framework.

You should probably still give some of the beefier PbtA games a try, but yeah, Revised Storyteller 2e and StoryPath look like fine games on their own.

Which ones? I've seen urban shadows, monster hearts, monster of the week, and apocalypse world from curiosity.

I might end up slapping the crafting system from scion into the exalted system because thats one of the weak parts, but aside from that I love it.

If you wanna take a look at some of the stranger hacks, City of Mist and especially Blades in the Dark both do some incredibly interesting things.

You know what crossover book I do want?
Strange dead love expanded into a full book, detailing the romance ups and downs of every splat in the game, with smaller sections for things like humans with supernatural merits.

Only vaguely related, but about a million years ago I asked the Scion dev about a Romance Mode of play and he said it was on the short list.

What's a 'mode of play'? I've tried to keep up but that phrase doesn't ring any bells

One of the things in Storypath is a bunch of modular optional rules, so you can have mechanical support and granularity in the aspects of the story where you want to focus. The games (Scion, Trinity) are going to ship with three: Action-Adventure (more meat to fights and physical challenges), Investigative (a mystery framework that seems to borrow from GUMSHOE), and... I think it's called Intrigue (focus on personal interactions and social challenges).

>Iron Pelvis ••
>Requires: Resolve •••

>You have an incredibly strong pelvis, allowing you to copulate with werewolves without dying.

What was the big mystery of Mummy?

Only 4 people in this world actually play it

Fuck off, go away with your stupid narrativist trash.

The nature of Apotheosis and the identity of the Heretic, the identities of the Deceived and the true story of Azar.

Just give me my Wraith 20th and I'll be on my way, OPP.

Aren't the Shan'iatu just powerful aliens? are they the Judges of Duat or it's something else?
The Judges of Life are something else, right?

Is Armory Reloaded an expanded version of Armory with all of the original content plus more?

Akin to the Expanded Psionics Handbook from D&D ?

user, we'll both be in the Silent Legion well before that ever happens.

We don't know exactly what they are. They predate humanity, answer to whatever the fuck the Nameless Gods are, and had the ability to shapeshift but lost much of that. It certainly seems like they became the Judges of Death upon the ritual murder of Azar, but they can't be the Judges that the Arisen answer to because there's 42 Judges and only 35 ascended Shan'iatu. They seem a lot like powerful Spirits, but may well be something else.

We likely would've had these answers in The Book of Going Westward, but alas.

I'm holding out hope for there one day being a hunter 20

>tfw Demon 20 will never happen and even if they did it you wouldn't pay for it but you still dream

No, it's a lot of new stuff plus rules on creating weapons / styles. It also has a sneakily placed Hunter compact that people seemed to barely notice was there.

If I was only going to buy one of the two, which should I get?

Some of the Devs are spilling the T on SA about changes in Geist 2.0, apparently ghosts will be available as playable characters, the Underworld is getting a make over, and they're making big promises about fixing the mech from 1e.

If you just want an index of weapons and fighting styles then get Armory. If you want more of a toolbox with rules to stat your own weapons, get Reloaded.

>apparently ghosts will be available as playable characters

Mummy 1e had it.

Yeah, but nobody played Mummy.
This is a game like that at least had a little love.

I hope you can play a Ghost possessing/claiming your own skeleton.

I ran Mummy for about three or four years. It's rough but a 2e has the potential to be amazing.

I mean the same could be said about Beast.

If I wanted to spend hours of my life pulling my hair out fixing shit that's broken out of the box and homebrewing shit that was omitted without rhyme or reason I'd be playing M20.

No, the same could not be said about Beast. Mummy isn't busted out the box or permanently fucked thematically like Beast is. Its issues are way too fiddly mechanics and an over-reliance on keeping the setting away from the players in hopes that that alone will create mystery.

Mummy can actually be something really great once with a more open setting and mechanics developed by people who actually know how CofD works, and not the Exalted and oWoD writers that the developer of the book was more familiar with. Beast has nothing, and it cannot be salvaged.

There's enough content in Mummy to keep me running it as long as I did, and the only houseruling I did was to eliminate target number shift. Which admittedly, is a major issue, but that's what you get when you let Exalted people do a CofD game.

So I was suddenly asked to GM a round of VtR tomorrow. Usually not a problem because I'd just continue the plot hooks I came up with last time and see what my players come up with.
A new player will be joining us this time tho and he has never had any contact WoD or Vampire whatsoever. Normally I'd introduce them to the game and end the night when he's turned. With everyone else already juiced up on V blood, I dont see how I can do an introduction like that and not bore everyone else to tears - or risk them fighting over who turns the new guy so they can have their personal little cock sock to play with.
Any advice on how to bridge that gap?

Explain him the generals fast and introduce him while playing.

Would you be interested in someone hacking together a Mummy PbTA game? There's almost everything I need there in Legacy: Life Among The Ruins.

Well, I certainly wouldn't say no.

Well, i would certainly say yes.

If I was going to allow THAT I'd just run the Vampire 5th Edition Pre-Alpha.

*drum roll*

>a moneyshot from two vampires!

Goddamnit, you got Vitae in my eye, Vlad.

Speak for yourself magefag.

Not stamina?

DaveB has confirmed that Morke sexually harassed at least 4 freelance writers whilst working on Exalted. Why didn't DaveB do anything about that? He's a cunt for enabling that abuse.

Zak S being a living turd, Morke being a grubby sleaze, DaveB's complicity, RichT's quietly pocketing money and ignoring all this shit... there's so much to complain about with these assholes, but this general spends more time obsessing over what gender pronoun to apply to Rose Bailey.

Also, "presumption of innocence" is a legal term. That would be fine if discussing legal action and we had our own High Roleplay Court, but we don't. We have a community that "allegedly" holds up certain standards. The question is whether we choose to be flaming hypocrites and allow this hobby to gutter out and die, or cut away human tumours.

>not boycotting them since everything blew up with Hill
>or when they've been several years late on multiple books
>or when they pay about half the industry standard for freelancers

You're late to the party on being outraged at this company, user. There's good people working there, but just as many folks who are just absolutely wretched.

This is the first I've heard of this morke thing, got any source?

All I want is content.
I couldn't give less of a shit about this controversy garbage.

Is that too much to ask?

>There's good people working there

Not in management, it seems. What else have they done wrong, Jakki? I've been in a coma, it seems.

The largest defense ever offered for them seems to be that they are the largest employer of abuse victims, LGBTIQA, newbies and forward-thinkers in the industry. The argument against spending money anywhere is just as strong - Frank Metzer is such vile garbage I wouldn't be surprised if he posted to Veeky Forums; Frog God Games CEO gets obnoxiously drunk and talks in public like he's posting to /pol/, going so far as to assault people both sexually and physically; Paizo published rules for a Magical Realm Child Rape Demon and have more sexual assaults than a drunken night in Ibiza.... even ordering something from DriveThruRPG puts Septims back into the Coin Sack of Rich "doubting" Thomas.

At this point I'm down to ordering old books off eBay.

That's because you're a bad person, and you should feel bad.
It's a DaveB post, somewhere in the ongoing firestorm on RPG.net;
>forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?817741-RPG-Industry-sexual-harassment-Mentzer-abuse-and-what-do-we-do-about-it/

Where can i find the magical realm child rape demon rules please?

Fantasy Flight do anything to get on your shit list yet?

Is it a child demon who rapes or a child from a raped demon or a child raped by a demon?

No. It's Pathfinder. Ask in their general.

David Hill walked after White Wolf hired Zak S, a noted online harasser (who has allegedly threatened Hill's children) and OSR author, to write a Vampire: the Masquerade visual novel (that, notably, has a horrendously offensive trans woman who just so happens to have the same name as the author of Monsterhearts, who Zak hates). In response, OPP (or more accurately, Rich) stripped almost all of Hill's work out of the almost-complete Changeling 2e so that they didn't have to pay him for his work.

More than a few freelancers quit after all this happened to Hill, and now bringing him up on the forums make Rich take a break from yelling at Wraith20 backers (who have waited THREE YEARS for a game that still isn't out digitally yet) to yell at forum goers about "gossiping."

You mean the disgusting Drakainia impregnating, spawn-birthing, child-mutating abberation thing from Bestiary 4?

The incredibly uninspired book where they also decided to stat Cthulhu? That was from like, 2013.

David Hill must have a huge cock. The amount of people who are chocking on it is hilarious.

He was a solid dude who wrote good rules and his version of Changeling looks more competent than the one we're getting.

Jesus, what the fuck next?

>next week: the series final of Death of an Industry

This truly is the world of darkness.

It's "choking", and if you're going to go there, you might as well blast the insipid, starry-eyed hero worship that passes for Dave Brookshaw fandom in this shit-smeared place. In for a penny, in for a pound, bruvv.

Next we have """Dracula""" working on VtM 5e (with my beloved Ken Hite, who I'm genuinely upset took the job), where he's actively retconning the old lore and believes that the games need to be rescued from "American moralism" and deal with sensitive material "like 9/11."

He also wrote about Tokyo so fuck off.

Eh, I really didn't like his take on Seeming and his focus on Huntsmen, so personally I'm a fan of those revisions.

Fuck me, this is what constitutes harassment nowadays. What a bunch of faggots.

I don't care. Yeah yeah they're all horrible and have done bad things sure, whatever. I feel absolutely no impulse to let that knowledge influence my buying habits.

But the Tokyo settings were fun. And now we don't get to see whatever the fuck Mummy Tokyo would look like.

Seeming was a major improvement over 1e and the new book is still gonna be just as focused on Huntsmen, they'll just be different.

It was photos of his children's school. Fucks sake.

>Seeming was a major improvement over 1e
You see, I like the Seeming coming from the Durance, rather than some insipid "you went wild went you escped so lol you're a wolf now" element.

Rose's "take ownership of your tale" take on Durance is better than both.

Then he should have tried to get something done about it.

Taking some sort of moral stance and leaving OPP is being a faggot who cant cope.

"Deal with sensitive material" sound like an excuse to be excessively offensive. This is the same human pair of stovepipe jeans that forced a claustrophobe into a cupboard and thinks WoD: Gypsies is so awesome it needs an update.

What lore is being retconned?

And what the fuck is "American moralism"?

Cool, give me your address so I can grab your dick and give you a big, gay, bearded pash. You're obviously fine with being passed around like a joint.
You need to be human to post here.
>Taking some sort of moral stance and leaving OPP is being a faggot who cant cope.
No, it's called "integrity" and that's why you don't understand it. Remember, OPP is Rich Thomas' private barbecue. He dictates policy, makes final decisions.

We choose to put our money where our mouth is. You do not. That, my faggotty friend, makes you the spineless one who can't cope.

I have print copies of all the demon: the fallen books except the chick tract. D20 plz qq

Is there going to be a generic night horrors? Like a collection of splat agnostic monsters like in the core. I guess it'd just be an updated version of antagonists.

I'm liking the 1e variation using suggestions published in supplements of not sticking kiths to seeming. What I've seen from Rose just isn't exciting.

Wouldn't the cryptids fit that bill? They aren't that tied to DtD (MtAw mentions them as well for example).

Nothing in the works, no.

Hey guys I've got the meat sweats. Is there a Cofd/Wod game for this feel?

Meat sweats?

IMHO outside of mage ones and some of the changeling vampire and woof ones would do fine if planted into other games(with some stats/rules update)

>Why didn't DaveB do anything about that?

Who says I didn't?

So.

As I said on rpg.net, I found out about Morke because I was sat right next to Rich when another Developer (who one of the victims had contacted) told Rich Morke was harassing women all over the industry. The words "You have to fire him" were used.

So, literally from moment one of my being included in the whole shitfest as a third party, OPP's internal investigation was underway.

I didn't go public because I wasn't the one confided in, and I didn't want to out any victim without her permission. I'm just a third-party contractor, and have no say over who's the Developer of Exalted. Everything I knew about was in the past tense, too - Exalted was written by that point.

What I *can* do as a Developer is decide who I hire for my own books, and use the way that all the line Developers keep in contact with one another and recommend writers to one another to make damn sure that any threat of hurting those freelancers' careers was fucking squashed. For over a year, I and a couple of other Developers have made a point of getting people work away from Exalted, and it's in the process of doing that that I've heard the stories.

That changed with the #metoo thing this month; some of the people involved decided to go public, enough so that I can now say, on Big Purple, that I've not exchanged more than thirty words with Morke in my life, but I've been helping counter his influence for months.

Look it up chief.

I imagine that's what a Beast feels when they overindulge on Satiety.
Or a Changeling who's overdosing on satisfaction-tinged Glamour.

All of this is kinda disheartening to hear Dave. I know douches can be found everywhere but jeez....

>Also, "presumption of innocence" is a legal term.

And sexual harassment has severe legal implications. Your fucking point, please.