Why is YGO so popular with the africanamerican community, and how come MtG isn't?

Why is YGO so popular with the africanamerican community, and how come MtG isn't?

youtu.be/-sDExe3GcBg

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/08/police-called-after-mcdonalds-rick-and-morty-promotion-heats-up
youtube.com/watch?v=N5tvyBWx4A8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

YGO had a popular anime, while MtG didn't.

Money.

Other anons are right about YGO becoming popular because it had kiddie anime.

I've actually asked several of them why they don't branch out to other card games just for some variance if nothing else. Most of them consider YGO to be a little kid's game and it's overcomplicated and expensive as hell, so they're intimidated by the mental construct of how mind-bogglingly draconian that an "adult's card game" like Magic must be.

Crackers playing YGO are easier to rob

>and expensive as hell
>YGO
None of the staple cost anything.

The anime, mostly. I have no idea why the west hasn't caught on to this phenomenon, but if you make an overblown cartoon about a game it seems to boost the games popularity to some pretty insane heights.

Then again, western shows don't have as many waifus either, so it's probably just lead in the drinking water.

A better question would be why are African-Americans so heavily inclined to be weebs? Even the bulky Giga-niggas still watch shit like Dragonball and One Piece. White folk don't do that (as often).

Because WE

I wouldn't think it'd be specific to black people but every day when I came home from school I came back just in time for toonami and also watched anime on Sci-fi channel when it came on saturday morning and looked forward to it.

Maybe you guys just don't have any real exposure to a lot of other people?

ARE THE CRISTAL GEMS

>Ash Blossom
>Ghost Ogre

Yeah, nah. I'm not the greatest, but if you put in 3 Ash Blossoms, and 2 Ghost Ogres in nearly any deck it becomes 100% better.

That right there is $200.

ARE THE CHAMPIONS MY FRIEND
*quack nigga*

For the same reason nerds like it but from a different perspective

>I have no idea why the west hasn't caught on to this phenomenon, but if you make an overblown cartoon about a game it seems to boost the games popularity to some pretty insane heights.
Toy companies do understand that, game companies not so much though.

So who here had DMG as their first waifu?

>not Tea

She was literally the fanservice girl in the manga nerd

That madman actually won with spaceships

Not gonna lie, I've seen other videos of this guy, and it's fucking great. The fact that this grown-ass dude is hype to play his fave card game makes me smile.

I wish MTG could be as hype as YGO. Any time I show excitement in MTG to play a big creature, or pull off a combo, my opponent just sits there, expressionless.

Too bad an MTG anime would probably be stuck having Jace as the protag.

the best part is

Almost guaranteed that Ash Blossom will drop down to like $10 when it gets packaged with a tin though.

>even does the sound effects
I love this guy

Well first, the toy companies don't seem to understand how to pull that off as much anymore. the format wasn't bringing in as much revenue anymore compared to the cost of the shows as they use to so they don't want to put in as much effort anymore. ESPECIALLY not enough effort to produce new and original lines like they use to and are only relying on the old reliable brands that have survived. As much as I dislike the fandom, it is baffling Hasbro has not done the research neccessary to figure out exactly what made MLP FIM such a runaway hit and replicate it with something like Transformers.

Second, we are talking about MtG which is run by WotC who is owned by Hasbro, the very toy company that thrived off the toy cartoon advertisement scheme. So again, baffling Hasbro hasn;'t connected the dots and realized that if YuGiOh got successful from anime, the MLP thing caused a crazy revival in the viability of that kind of cartoon as advertising, then perhaps they could do the same with MtG. Then again I can't begin to imagine how they would handle the show. All the plane jumping and stuff can be quite confusing when put into a show format. Character count is insane, the only consistent characters are not very appealing story wise.

here here

Bootleg anime VHS tapes were easy to get your hand on in poorer areas of the US and in ghettos in the 90s and early 2000s, so a lot of black kids grew up on anime. Yugioh was one of the more popular ones. I know because I had a bunch of tapes like these and so did my friends. We would trade tapes around and pool them together for anime marathons of mismatched episodes.

MtG is a shit game managed and played by white sjws.

Black folks are super Otaku. Every one of them has fucking goku cosplay in their closet. Every single one.

>those sound effects
Gosh, how cute!

WILL
WE
WILL

R O C K Y O U

Niggers are too dumb to understand how the stack works.

Sounds like a great time

YGO uses stack retard.

>namefagging /pol/tard is actually retarded
Wow, who knew

'cuz Dark Magician Girl is bae

Before the anime craze was a thing, martial arts movies were airing in small suburban theatres, cue brown people liking the generally anti-authority, wuxia rebel types starring them, and sharing the sentiments of the Asian minorities on either side of the silver screen.

Before we knew it, we got black protagonists in martial art movies, the Wu-Tang Clan, etc. All of this laid the foundations for the ongoing interest of African-American communities in fighting games, then shounen anime, and ultimately YGO.

>A better question would be why are African-Americans so heavily inclined to be weebs?
I've heard some e-celeb claim that Kung Fu movies were popular among black people because a lot of them came to America during the height of the Civil Rights movement and a lot of black people wanted to watch something not made by whitey. Might also explain the attraction to anime, whitey doesn't make anime.

WILL NEVER BE SLAVES

The irony that asians are probably the most racist against black people after maybe arabs.

racism takes different forms in different cultures, russians are very racist against blacks but instead of it being a "hang niggers, they're subhuman" type thing it's more "blyet, why are you in my rossiya, return to your clay" kind of deal.

This may not be /pol/ bait, as there has been some discussion as to why blacks like certain stuff since this doesn't seem like the sort of thing they'd normally be concerned about. It's like learning the Christian neighbor who keeps calling DnD the devil's game secretly is a huge Star Trek fanatic- you just don't expect those things to go together

Really that's because Russia is a multi-ethnic state, it's so big you have Asiatics, Caucasians, and Slavs all working together in the military and government so race is less important. Because there's this sense of nationalism, everyone who comes from Russia is Russian whether or not they're ethnically slavic. No surprise blacks are maligned, they're not from Russia.

>tfw none of my black classmates in grade school were into YGO or anime

I grew up on YGO and Ranma 1/2 and I spent that whole time thinking I was the weird one, thinking that was part of why they all said I "acted white."

Thanks Veeky Forums. I learned something today.

>pic

Speaking of DBZ, is it really as popular in Mexico as Veeky Forums keeps telling me?

Funny thing, I had an English teacher in middle school who was dead set against anything involving the occult and supernatural, but on Halloween did a lesson on Frankenstein. Apparently she loved stuff like that, including The Invisible Man as well as Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and The Phantom of the Opera.

VERY popular, Saint Seiya as well because their dub made it sound way cooler than what we got.

Sailor Moon snd Inuyasha for the girls.

>Gradius-themed cards
Dude's got good taste.

I'm really disappointed by the racist remarks on this board. It's not funny here. Go back to /pol/.

>I have no idea why the west hasn't caught on to this phenomenon
They have
theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/08/police-called-after-mcdonalds-rick-and-morty-promotion-heats-up

I have a 2 year old and thus watch a fair amount of the Disney channel. While I'm not 100% sure how well toy companies are doing, I know for damn sure they're marketing toys associated with TV shows, at least Disney ones.

>Niggers can't into stack
>I've never really been able to piece together how the stack works
All this time, I was the niggers and didn't realize it. Thank you, /pol/ friend.

But I thought you were the demons, John.

First, most folk don't understand the stack beyond 'first in, last to resolve. Last in, first to resolve.'
Second, it's been ages since I played YuGiOh, but it also has a form of stack, think it was the chain? I recall it was a bit more complicated then MtG stacks are. So yeah.

Places like disney will continue to make their own productions and sell merchandise based on them, but toy companies are no longer as willing to take huge risks with producing new shows just for a toyline like MLP, Transformers, GI Joe, etc. The industry is having a lot of shakeups with the way media entertainment is changing as well as how the internet is affecting retail sales.

I don't know if you can call one more complicated than the other as they both have a lot of nuance to them, which throws a lot of people off.

So the primary difference is that, to my understanding, the chain resolves once players decide not to react anymore. It all goes off in order from start to finish. The stack resolves things one at a time, which lets players wait for something to resolve and then continue doing things even while other things are still waiting to resolve.

Tons of poorer kids were 'raised' by television. When moms put their children in front of the telly because they don't have the family connections to have a babysitter. So when the mother are working, the children are watching anime.

>implying there's a difference

Also chains have "speeds", you can't chain anything to a counter trap besides another counter trap

Again, been ages, so I am either misremembering things, things changed, or even both. But I seem to recall YuGiOh also had more nuanced rules for what could enter the chain and when it could, whereas MtG is mostly just 'got an instant or Flash? then you may use it in response.' Although now that I think about it, I beleive MtG also had to do some streamlining of stack and responding as well many years ago

user, it's okay if there are people you'd rather not associate with, but you don't have to be offended by their existence, or literally demonize them.

Just come out and say it.

MtG also has priority wich could be confusing or even unheard of to new players.

Priority? Please explain that is.

That's not true

Sometimes it's Piccolo or Vegeta

BUT WE WILL BE CONQUERORS

/thread

The user he was replying to, but long story short, Priority is essentially just means who has the right to be able to do something.

Example, I cast a spell, but before it can resolve and take effect I 'Pass Priority' to my opponent, who then may cast as many spells as he wishes to (must be instant or flash) during his priority without me being able to do anything. But again when he is done and wants effects to actually be able to resolve he has to pass priority back to me. Once one of us chooses to do nothing with a Priority, only then will the spells actually be able to be resolved based on the time they hit the stack.

Now there is more to it then that, but that is the absolute basic gist of it. Think of it as just taking turns trying to out dick each other's plans.

Yugioh has that as well, except it's a bit different.

One of the most hilarious things I ever seen on the bus was a couple of the most stereotypical ghetto gang member looking black guys having an argument over who was better able to replicate the sound effects the aura makes when the DBZ characters go Super Saiyan.

Absolutely hilarious to hear one guy going 'FWOOSH FWOOSH FWOOSH' and the other 'Nah Man it be more like SCHWAA SCWAA SCHWAA' on the bus

Hilarious, but also quite humanizing.

Black people are still people (generally).

worst expansion ever

A combination of kids being raised on TV (Toonami often came on after school, so after little Tyrone got back from publicly-funded daycare, Shaniqua sits him in front of the TV while she goes out whoring.) and black culture trying to emphasize not giving a fuck so you can get back at whitey.

Therefore, should a black person become a weeaboo, they're more open about it because they were taught to not give a fuck.

No longer true afaik

Still true.

I know, it was just so surreal to be in downtown on the bus, see one dude full of gold bling, and the other in hoodie with a weed leaf design, making those noises.

Please tell me where you see the bait, because I'm not seeing any, niggerfaggot.

Because niggas like anime. Same shit with DBZ and Pokemon.

>Please tell me where you see the bait, because I'm not seeing any, niggerfaggot.
Might want to take your sunglasses off while you're inside if you're being to c00l to see such obvious bait.

If racism makes you uncomfortable get off Veeky Forums.

The only thing worse than pol bringing redpills to every board is people like you who have to keep giving them (you)s

That's a very cute tiger with sunglasses, but I still don't see the bait. OP asked why yugioh is more popular with black people than magic the faggoting; I think it's a valid question.

I see both. Then again Im from the Detroit area, so nigganerds are fuckin' everywhere around here.

Remember when Yugi first summoned Slifer?
Shit was dope

It was oka

>Then again I can't begin to imagine how they would handle the show
"The Multiverse is being devoured by the Shadow. Only the young planeswalker Jace and his crew of misfits can save it by finding the pieces of the eitghteen pieces Legacy Weapon. At their back, evil dragon Nicol Bolas will stop at nothing to acquire the Legacy Weapon for himself."

There. I just wrote your show for you, Hasbro. I accept wire transfer and cash.

>Then again I can't begin to imagine how they would handle the show
"The Multiverse is being devoured by the Shadow. Only the young planeswalker Jace and his crew of misfits can save it by finding the eitghteen pieces of the Legacy Weapon. At their back, the evil dragon Nicol Bolas will stop at nothing to acquire the Legacy Weapon for himself."

There. I just wrote your show for you, Hasbro. I accept wire transfer and cash.

Im black. Grew up poor. Parents always worked so we had access to everything the white kids had like consoles m, TVs phone so and so on. As a collective we shun these weebs same a spell you for mlp fans. Or the surprising amount of pedophiles you guys have. I don't think it's a race issue but a culture issue. The west just breeds degeneracy.

It's not that anime is popular among black people, so you were the weird one.

Obviously most black people don't give a shit about anime (and most white people.)

>Most of them consider YGO to be a little kid's game and it's overcomplicated and expensive as hell, so they're intimidated by the mental construct of how mind-bogglingly draconian that an "adult's card game" like Magic must be.

This is quite true.

Imagine if you had followed YGO from "Blue Eyes White Dragon can only be killed through card effects, good fucking luck killing 3,000 attack points" to.. Wherever it is today. I don't know where its gone. Egyptian God Cards is about where I got off but I've seen some of the cards IRL and holy shit.

>When you Special Summon Raper Battle Tormentor, choose one of the following effects: Destroy one face up monster card; destroy one face up monster card that attacked the previous turn; destroy up to two face down monster cards and ignore their flip effects. Any monsters destroyed by this effect of "Raper Battle Tormentor" are removed from play. If "Raper Battle Tormentor" is sent to the Graveyard or normal summoned you lose the game. If "Raper Battle Tormentor" attacks your opponents lifepoints directly flip 3 coins. If you successfully guess at least 2 of the coin flips your opponent gives you their deck and loses the game.

YGO cards seriously read like they were designed by lawyers with how many doublets and "if/and/or" clauses they have. Some of them have literally the same effect printed 3 times for 3 slightly different field states.

>A better question would be why are African-Americans so heavily inclined to be weebs?

It's a form of nerdiness that's very easy to pull off by yourself and just involves watching stuff on TV. That and videogames and to a lesser extent, comics.

Black people are just less visible in the more social aspects of nerd-dom. Geek-chic is also less popular among black people, so there's a lot fewer posers running around pretending to be into anime in order to fit in. That just leaves the people who honestly like it.

Not true, asians love black

>One of the most hilarious things I ever seen on the bus was a couple of the most stereotypical ghetto gang member looking black guys having an argument over who was better able to replicate the sound effects the aura makes when the DBZ characters go Super Saiyan.

I work in a juvenile detention center.

It was hilarious to hear one guy with tattoos all over his face trying to explain to another guy how Avatar the Last Airbender is the "sickest shit" and quoting Katara/Zuko when they fought each other at the North Pole.

Or when they started playing D&D, found out I played/DM'ed and started asking me for character advice and to run a game for them. And before anyone asks- they tended to play Fighters, Paladins, Wizards, Warlords, and Rogues. Humans, Dragonborn, and Elves were the most popular races. Their games resembled WoW (explore here, kill this, retrieve that, save the world) rather than a fantasy GTA (rob, kill, rape everyone).

I didn't find another black person into anime until I reached Junior high. I was mostly into mecha, he was mostly into shonen. We were both the biggest anime fans in our group of mostly white friends, though.

Never saw that. Only saw heavy bantz about cannibalism and voodoo.

Magic is for whitebois, real niggas watch anime.

youtube.com/watch?v=N5tvyBWx4A8

This. Anime has a sort of global, exotic appeal. It’s not American and has all of these strange cultural codes. Kids also like it because their parents don’t understand it.

Just make a knockoff of Overratedtar.

Nigger

hello r/donald

Nigger

it's obviously SCHWAA SCWAA SCHWAA

I always heard EAWEAWEAWEAWEAWEA, but kind of raspy.