I really hate this man. Does Veeky Forums feel the same?

I really hate this man. Does Veeky Forums feel the same?

Mearls is one of the worst things to ever happen to D&D. I wouldn't say I hate him as a person, but I despise him as a game designer.

I don't care for his taste or his presentation, and would prefer he didn't work so much on 5e, but oh well. I don't hate him, but I do hate his stupid pudgy face.

Does this guy have down syndrome?

Who is this semen demon?

No, I can't hate him. He's such a jovial person that is so enthusiastic about the game.

A lot of people including myself thought he was overpromising on 5e, especially with regard to reuniting the fanbase around it. I honestly expected it to flop like 4e, but he made it work and did a lot of great things with it.

I was skeptical about his promise to make fighters the best at fighting, but he surprised me there too. Fighters in 5th edition are very strong now.

Also, I really liked the Unearthed Arcana book in 3.5.

Depends on the system

As a 4rry, I cannot but despise this Iscariot of a man.

No.

This is the man who saved D&D. Say something nice about him.

Is there any prominent TTRPG game designer that is by and large liked by the community? Cause I've never seen anyone praise a designer, only shit on them. Is it just loss aversion?

Nobody hates Crawford.

You should take more care of yourself. You're 42 and look 10 years older.

People like Crawford

It's because Veeky Forums is full of crotchety ageing grognards, who have convinced themselves that their hobby is dying and nothing will save it.

I've never really seen any hate for Steve Jackson. GURPS maybe, but not the guy himself.

I imagine we'd hate him more if that whore wasn't shielding him.

Robin D. Laws and Greg Stolze.

A lot of people dislike him for dropping the license from Fallout.

He's done right by me.
The videos he makes feel like they talk around the subject too much, but I can't fault his nerdy enthusiasm for fantasy tropes.

literally who?

>literally who?
>literally
the name is on the file, broseph.

I like Mike Mearls.

He killed 4E (which I hated, the fourth edition that is) and created quite a good game in 5E. Not perfect, still has flaws, but serviceable and pretty.

And it reinvigorated the RPG industry massively, so I'm happy about that.

He's also a pretty happy guy in all the interviews and videos I've seen of him, so that makes him likeable.

Who is Mike Mearls and why is he hated, Veeky Forums?

Honestly if you hate someone because of a game they designed, that's pretty strange. That's like hating someone for inventing the Shamrock shake. If you don't like it, just have something else, dude.

Despite her games often being nigh on unplayable, I adore Jenna Moran (aka R. Sean Borgstrom) and her distinctive style.

He Ivory Tower'd 3.5 and then pissed off 4e fans forever via 5e.

Mike Mearls is leftist trash.

I like her too but there are indeed people who really don't like her even if most of them have probably forgotten about after Nobilis 2E though altough some Exalted fans could have something against her.
For example RpgPundit seems to unironically hate her AND her fans. (Something about them being all emotionally retarded adulescents)

In my experience, anything that moronic asshole hates on is probably pretty good.

From a normal viewpoint or from the one of someone who browse /pol/?

From any viewpoint.

I dunno, look at his twitter and ask yourself that question.

Seems pretty standard to me

If a faggot avatar and (((brackets))) seem normal to you, then you are one of them.

The moral majority? It seems like it from where I'm standing.

Although none of that stops Mearls being a bad game designer. You don't need to find other dumb reasons to criticise him.

Mearls is an absolute fucking moron.
To understand why, you need to understand his history.
He made Iron Heroes and helped with D&D 4th edition.
Both of these games started the "martials should work like casters" meme.
Adding more stupid resource-based crap to the game.
The reasoning behind vancian magic (I don't give a shit about jack vance, I am talking mechanics here) is to limit magic.
Once a caster has used all their spells, they must rest.
This encourages diversification of spell choices, and allows for some spells to exist that would be overpowered otherwise.
D&D has never done this well.
Mearls got his hands on the 3.5 caster supremacy problem, and decided the solution was: everyone should be a caster.
He understands nothing of game design.
He and Crawford have been handed the easiest fucking job in the history of game design: make D&D good.
This is something that is considered entry-level by homebrewers.
They tried to pander to grognards, who aren't playing new editions anymore anyway.
They neutered feats.
They turned everything into this weird segmented shit.
They destroyed any purpose of ability scores, they are entirely a vestigal mechanic now.
Bonuses matter more than anything else.
And Mearls can't even help but contradict himself. He builds an entire edition around bounded accuracy, homebrews a feat that lets you knock people prone with warhammers, realizes it will slow down play, and then, instead of trying to think of a way to keep the knockdown but make it more frequent (such as only happening on a crit, or some other combination), he contradicts his ENTIRE design philosophy up to that point with 5e, and makes it give a +1 bonus to hit. So now, warhammers are the most accurate weapon in the game. For some reason. I don't understand this motherfucker. I really think the good ideas in this edition must have all come from Crawford. There's no way this mongoloid came up with anything original or elegant.