How to convince my players to play something else than D&D for once?

How to convince my players to play something else than D&D for once?

>Guys, I'm a contrarian piss baby who hates DnD, and I really want you to play my homebrewed Tentacle Loli Rape Extended Edition system

Talk to them about things they enjoy other than fantasy stories. Find a theme, genre or idea that everyone can agree sounds cool, then pick a simple, easy to learn system that's appropriate for the concept. Pitch it initially as a one shot or short campaign, and be prepared to put in most of the work yourself, including making character sheets, to make the barrier for entry as low as possible.

Threaten them with a gun.

Don't try to convince them. Tell them you're trying another system for a change. If you're the ForeverDM, they'll put up with it or miss out.

Explain the potential benefits.

im not even gonna reward you with a (you) but first post bait post. Maybe he wants to play a different kind of game like shadowrun.

"im Gming a __insert setting__ with _system_ next week/month, sound fun?"

maybe he doesnt want to play high fantasy, and wants to do something like Fallout or Star Wars or 40k

>you can ONLY play D&D or you are a contrarian
Contrarianism is about hating something just to be...well contrarian.
Not thinking D&D is the only game you can play or even just happening to not like D&D is not contrarian in itself.

if you're the GM start with a trial game

if you're a player learn to GM and start with a trial game

Have you tried talking to your players, or are you just being a faggot?

If you're a player, tell them that even ice cream gets boring if you eat it for every meal. Variety is the spice of life, and trying something new may have a few hiccups, but the potential for fun is much greater than the potential for frustration. If that doesn't work, you're done.

If you're the GM, tell them what you're running and run it. If they complain, either they are terrible players or you are not very good at directing your friends. Which is sad, because that's your whole job.

Acquire a different playgroup on a different day with the advertisement of the system you desire.

DnDfags, everyone. Literally can't defend their shitty system without resorting to a bullshit strawman.

>Hey, so I heard you guys talking about those new marvel movies, pretty big fans? Wanna try running some superhero stuff instead of mideval fantasy, it could turn out pretty fun.

Play OSR (older D&D that plays nothing like modern D&D) to wean them off, then play other things.

>hating on Nechronica

Run another system, if they don't want to play they don't have to, you should be able to find a replacement.

>OSR
People stopped playing games like that for a reason, and the only reason anyone still does is nostalgia. If the players weren't there in the 70s and 80s and don't want to pretend they were, it's not a good choice.

Not him, but I've tried. They've all been like "ugh, it's too mathy" or "too weeb" or "can't we try this system that you have no experience with or any of the books for, instead of the one you have all the splats for?"
The major problem with people raised playing nothing but D&D is that they view it as the most fluid, least complicated system going, and anything else is either too much trouble to learn(multiplication tables give them hives), or too "dumb".

Harder than you think, especially when the replacements flake out or get bored, despite telling you you're doing a great job GMing.
t. Anima GM who went from six players to two in less than a year.

What's a good system for spooky sci-fi action
>inb4 GURPS

Boy, first post of the topic. The DnDrones must've gotten their defence protocols updated lately.

Spooky how? Supernatural? Alien?

Having to search for and invent reasons to get your group to stop playing D&D pretty firmly cements you in the dumbfuck contrarian category.

fpbp

>"Alright guys, for a special treat, tonight we're playing _______. I rolled up some pregens and printed some cheat sheets for what does what."

Easy as that. Players aren't a puzzle to solve, they're your drinking buddies.

houserule the hell out of it

We are going to play pnp with a different rule from a different system and it not d&d.

Introduce them to DW and never look back.