What if the Imperium of Man had adopted some other type of architecture instead of Gothic?

What if the Imperium of Man had adopted some other type of architecture instead of Gothic?

I know what you did, I know why you did it, but lord have mercy I can't deny it.

That's some sweet arsechitecture

Ass aside, Art Deco imperium would look godly

You mean like Brutalism of the Arbites?

I feel like it would be a sort of rapture meets necromongers look.

Literally what Age of Sigmar is and people shit all over it

What if the Imperium had a really clean, sharp, modern aesthetic, with lots of bright lights, like Japan

Then you've basically got the Alliance from Firefly/Serenity.

SNIGGITY SNOOTY GOT TO GET ME DAT BOOTY

I dunno, that looks a bit too dingy and not bright enough, I'm thinking Akibahara in space.

That or maybe spooky aesthetic, could we go with a Halloween architecture? Maybe Nightmare Before Christmas style?

This thread, it is a good thread.

How about Mexican Day of the Dead style?

...or Aztec style?

That could look good, thats an aesthetic not utilized enough.

We could also go complete opposite, and go with a more, fluffy, soft aesthetic. The Imperium is all edge, spikes and corners, we can rebrand it as a more family friendly, child safe galactic conquering empire.

>All this architecture

Is this what being an engineer feels like? I'm in the wrong profession!

probably wouldn't have caught on as much as it did, or be changed in ways that make it worse

Gothic style comes with a whole lot of other baggage, which the imperium (and 40k in general) borrows from heavily.

Brutalist, you surely mean.

The funny thing is that the Imperium borrows mostly from 16th century Europe in terms of all the witch-hunting and concern about heresy, which means we should really have Battlefleet Baroque.

The church in 16th century europe would still be using mostly gothic architecture, though.

>huge cilinders of raw concrete roaming around the eye of terror
I want this.

>M41
>not building geographical scale Neo-Classical buildings
Étienne-Louis Boullée had the best of all architectural styles.

Oh my God, is that the artist who did Requiem Chevalier Vampire? Is... is that FROM RCV?

what about doing imperial architecture like hr giger?

hoooo
momma mia
holy shit

That's Slanesh cult shit.

AoS is WFB becoming 40k

now I'm curious what Arabian architecture-based space-ships look like

I appreciate the go-thicc architecture here.

>Not appreciating HR Gieger's themes and aesthetics

Normie/faggot detected.

Well what about this type of futuristic type of artsyle/iconography? What if Imperium has this type of futuristic aesthetic with clean and smooth futuristic themes and aesthetics aswell?

That strikes me more as a Dark Ages of Technology kind of thing.

Yeah, his aesthetic of
>idsa benis in bagina :DDDDDDDD
sure is profound. Really deep themes.

>ART DECO
It's beautiful, geometric to please those admech guys, and celebrates the human form.

Sauce?

Those are great, especially the first one.
Anyone knows what happened that we no longer build things like this?
I mean, I guess the whole steel sculptures might have been a bit expensive, but there had to be some other reason?

art nouveau best art. and it's the logical step after gothique floral.

Yes and no. It's from Sha.

I believe it was called the Great Depression. For two decades no one could afford to build them, and when they finally could the "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" mentality rang a little hollow and the cynical brutalist style was born.

there is architecture in AOS , all the backgrounds always seem like its happening in the warp or some shit. just some reddish swirls

Aren't admech art deco?

AOS architecture is all over the place and the shitty special effects make it a nightmare to convert. Also $$$ and deviantart-level artwork instead of Blanche or Miller.

admech are like, genepunk or something.

I mean technique wise, Anus painter is much better.

>Gothic
>Go thic

Then you'd look like the Tau.

Is there a term for that nix of traditional,cultural and high tech architecture that some sci fi have?

Sauce on the bae?

>Traditional
>Cultural
You'll need to expand on these terms for anyone to give a proper answer.

I guess when its a high tech setting but architectural and clothing styles resemble/reflect a previous era. Like in deus ex alot of the style resembles renaissance era fashion. Or in overwatch where maps have a lot of buildings that reflect the culture of the country there in, china, uk, egypt etc.

Nah, there's no architectural definition of that.

Ok.

Like this but with a dose of cyberpunk and space.

The hoverbus bothers me more than it should.

I hate hover vehicles too mate.

Gothic is objectively the best style of architecture mankind has ever made

Hitler really couldn't paint for shit. He didn't even know how perspective works.

litrally only 1 building in this city worth seeing. lol milan is a memecity.

Still ten times better than any low IQ retard that can't into math that manage to get a arts degree

Is it true that the Gothic architecture helps ward away the Daemons? Or were it just the seals and wards?

Shit aesthetics

Alright fine, I'll be the one to say it
Gothicc

you shouldn't wear tight pants if you are fat

Anachronism/anachronistic. "a thing belonging or appropriate to a period other than that in which it exists, especially a thing that is conspicuously old-fashioned."

It would have been interesting to see them adopt something extremely utilitarian and minimal, a stagnant culture risking only what is absolutely necessary.
Something like brutalism, but with more focus on giving every construct multiple purposes and uses.

Most of this "architecture" makes no thematic or structural sense. They just look like something hastily put together by an edgy teenager.

>Still ten times better than any low IQ retard that can't into math that manage to get a arts degree
>Hitler couldn't even get an arts degree
lol what a loser

I've seen it mentioned in some of the rogue trader splat-books that some voidsmen believe that the gargoyles and things ward off the daemons. Don't know whether it's actually true though as when gellar fields go down it's not exactly happy fun times.

There are such things as warded hulls and hexgrammic/pentagrammic wards though and they do work, but the fluff is a bit vague as to whether they're inscriptions or devices of some kind

>Something like brutalism, but with more focus on giving every construct multiple purposes and uses.
There's whole market segment for housing made of freight containers. The demeand skyrocketed in Europe recently. Easily relocate, easily re-purposed. "brick-like" design will suit IoM perfectly too.

I was thinking about something like that, except applied to every aspect possible. Got a coal mine? Why not put the processing plant inside it? The living quarters in dry veins of the mine, etc. Cities built around utility first, and only where the imperium needs them. Private sector is non-existent and all work for the glory of the war machine.

I could see that, though the overblown gothic look stresses the overwrought and wasteful nature of the setting, as well as reinforcing the death obsession of the Imperium. The complexity is manifest, there's nothing plain simple, and there's no classical cleanness or bright marble, suggesting a darkness and calling to mind a crumbling ruin, which of course the Imperium is.

It's worth noting, gothic buildings at the time would be whitewashed to all fuck, but neo-gothic architecture coincides with the industrial revolution, so a lot of what people think of as gothic is choked to hell with soot (check Cologne Cathedral) - incredibly fitting for the hyper-polluted industrial Imperium.

Also, calling back to the origins of gothic architecture it calls to mind, if not a historical dark age, then at least pre-renascence, an era of strife (especially in Britain) and crusades. Likewise, this emphasises the medieval nature of the Imperium, its feudal structure, space marines as knightly orders, and so on, by calling the mind back to that era through architecture.

Also: hnng

IIRC hex wards are a weird mix of inscriptions and amulets arranged in a lattice around whatever they protect and are made with silver

Pic of my gf

The original WH40K looks AND fits great, i wont even argue against it. I was just thinking "what if they decided to just make the most of everything, with no regards to culture, era, etc".
Though they are stagnant in a number of ways, maybe one breakaway chapter lost in the warp ends up being forced to re-think their ways, without guidance from the established authority of tech etc.
Maybe they go green and make everything from spaesh age ceramics, and re-order there society around the principle of ZERO WASTED ENERGY(may contain purges).

I wish i could draw, i want to know what comes after the current version of mankind. Also have som more fatass.

timestamp or didn't happen

>Looking at all of HR Geiger and seeing nothing nothing but sex organs

Normie/faggot detected.

White people just can't do fat asses right

Ah, right, yeah.
I mean, the Admech (or HH-era mechancium at least) going deco was quite cool.

A very brutalist imperium could be a cool look, sort of a 1984/Brazil deal - really emphasising the war nature (again, drawing on British history, post-WWII was a really grim era architecture-wise, very stagnant despite a large amount of construction)

I think the Eldar or Tau might be good for a green look, but they both have other, larger influences - both have big Japanese, of course, but Eldar have a little Egyptian and some Celtic I think, and Tau have "generic sci-fi" guys going on, plenty ceramics and white shiny deals.

Do think it's kind of interesting that Classical architecture never really gets a look in in 40k, maybe it's too associated with a "golden age" (despite, y'know, all the grim bits of the roman empire)

Also Lucy has really been packing the pounds on, to great effect

Newfag pls

This is a architecture thread, if you want to discuss the stacking of fecal matter or other issues related to melanin enriched lifestyle, gb2/africa/

> sort of a 1984/Brazil deal - really emphasising the war nature
I really like it, an empire locked in eternal strife likely wouldn't spend anything unnecessary, and would build their cities like stalingrad commie blocks to stop invasion forces.
Just big slabs of concrete, where every inch is used for some purpose, space is used optimally, so many places would look like a ordered kowloon city. I really like the idea of everything have a sort of roman concrete look, where old shit has been broken down and put into the new building to save resources.

I don't know about Xenos like the eldar og tau, i'm on the fuck aliens train(except orks). Here is my last PAW- Architecture webm!

That might be cool, but I think it falls into a couple of pitfalls; Brutalism never really looks old - it can look worn, it can look like it wasn't built yesterday, but from experience it never really looks like its old-old. As such it doesn't look as good on a civilisation that's meant to have lasted for millennia, no matter how utilitarian it looks.
Though Lucius-pattern Titans come close to showing how Brutalism in 40k might work I guess, and they're considered to be some of the more * a e s t h e t i c * titans, with their blocky figures and big slabs of metal.

>Olivia Jensen
That’s cheating.
Also she should’ve stopped 20 pounds ago.

>cheating
Nah.

>should stop
And nah again, ride the thicc meme to conclusion I say.

Also, if you want to show an overblown military with bloated budgets that really should trim the fat, who better to use than someone with that look?

Actually that ties into what I was wondering before, despite often being referred to as decadent, bloated and corrupt, the Imperium takes surprisingly few visual cues from the roman empire (outside of eagles), mostly ignores neo-classical/baroque/Louis XIV-XVI architecture and style (admittedly the fiddly stuff that's coming out now looks a bit shit and is a bitch to paint), or even the simplified but oversized classical look of the nazis - it borrows from the first and the last in other ways, to be sure, but there's a whole spectra of classical style that's ignored in favour of going taller and narrower.

Ironically the exception to this would be Ultramar, but they're one of the best places, so go figure.

Speaking of taking historical precedence, Bobby G returned is Justinian, right?
>Taking control of an empire long in decline, trying to reclaim the former glory? Check
>Helped into power by a chick who's actually fairly important in her own right? Check
>No.2 who he relies on but would be fucked if he got betrayed by, called Belisarius, even? Check
>Realm getting rekt by plague? Check

Like the mechanicum rapetrain?
(god fires of cerwhatever can't get here soon enough)

He should've went to architecture school

Those buildings look cool on the outside but aren't really practical to work in compared to modern styles.

A uniformly square office building with glass sides maximizes the amount of usable floor space and natural light.