What do gods look like in your setting?

What do gods look like in your setting?

How do you properly describe them?

Do you have ethnic gods, like the aesir and the orisha, or is it all one set of gods for all cultures?

There's God god who made the universe. No one knows what he looks like seeing how he hides behind a door.

Then there are greater gods, who are star constellations. No one worships them directly tho. Then there are lesser gods. Who everyone worships. They can look like whatever they want.

>What do gods look like in your setting?

Depends on the setting

>How do you properly describe them?

Some of the more abstract, eccentric and/or lovecraftian are indescribable by definition

>Do you have ethnic gods, like the aesir and the orisha, or is it all one set of gods for all cultures?

A bit of both, sometimes mixed

>Depends on the setting
Insufferable. OP even said “your” setting as in what (You) prefer

>in your setting?
>Depends on the setting

Some people have multiple. I do find it questionable that he has too many to describe in one post, though.

There are no gods. The creator entity is an endless source of light and warmth that may or may not be aware of the existance of it's creation.

>There are no gods.

fellas i have 11 separate settings don't be so rude

>Creator entity
>hurr durr le fat atheist
Why do you have to be like this?

Saying that there are no gods in a setting where there obviously is one is even worse, desu.

No you don't.
You're clearly insufferably arrogant.
If you were insufferably arrogant and had anything to show for it, you'd show one of them off.
But you're insufferably arrogant, with nothing to show for it (which is why you're here.) So nothing but shitposts.

also i'm a non-english speaker

>
>1
There is a huge variety, some are humanoid, some are animals, some are eldritch beings. But overall, it depends on which generation of gods we're talking about. The first generation represents abstract concepts such as infinity, life, death and time, forces of nature such as gravity and physics, the "grand" elements of nature such as space, stars, planets, etc. They have multiple avatars and their forms change depending on the universe they inhabit. The second generation are the gods of the multiverse, which represent the same as their parents but are also tasked with creating and destroying new universes on an infinite loop. Nobody knows their true forms, so it's different depending on the storyteller. The third generation are elemental gods, who represent "earthly" concepts such as the elements, basic natural phenomena, animals, bodies of water, forests, etc. The fourth generation are the gods of the mind, which represent mortal constructs such as the scientific method, philosophy, war, peace, etc. They're born from the collective knowledge, belief and dreams, so you have gods for each element on the periodic table, as well as gods of ideas such as atheism, and appropriately, gods of irony. The fifth generation are mortals who ascended to godhood, and the sixth generation are the gods of the dreamrealms, which are gods created by the collective imagination of mortals and they can potentially surpass any other god due to imagination being limitless.
So in my setting, gods can look like a mass of carnivorous fungi floating in space, or a badass humanoid mech.
>2
In personality, the oldest gods are not concerned by the affairs of mortals but will be happy to influence them if they somehow grab their attention. Newer gods are mostly assholes.
>3
Yeah, and their a huge mix of the last three generations. Also, some cultures worshiping the same god under different names and avatars leads to "cloned gods" being born in the dreamlands.

Recently I've been trying to do a spin on the old eldritch gods trope but you know, benign and mostly well meaning. I mean they're goofy cosmic space beings which means all kinds of fuckery comes in their wake. So while the burning tree god might be the patron spirit of knowledge, harvests and healthy family linage's (cause you know, family tree) he's also the god of fire and so all that comes with the ravenous nature of fire and its all consuming ways.
So if you take their values with a pinch of salt you're a good natured believer but if you actually worship them you're most likely gonna end up as a fanatic who lights himself and every book and person on fire for the knowledge god.

Its actually hard and I only have like, 3 thought up.

the players are the gods, but they don't know it yet

I like my settings fairly realistic, so no gods

Mostly however they want to. Some gods will have a common trait in any form they take. For example Odin will always have one eye.

Depends on the god. Some are humanoid, some aren't. One is a gigantic dinosaur, there's one which is a hipogryph, one of the war gods has the form of 300 soldiers acting in perfect unison.

The best I can. That's why I haven't got around to describe all of them yet. The goddess of beauty, love and pleasure actually looks like what you want her to be, for beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.. Sometimes this is a better version of yourself, because she loves you and wants you to see how greater you can be.

>Do you have ethnic gods, like the aesir and the orisha, or is it all one set of gods for all cultures?
Most are pan-ethnic, but none is global.

If you lack a grasp of the language sufficient enough to answer, don't. LURK MOAR faggot.

how my gods works

>at some point got discovered it exist.
>while playing with itself to learning about stuff and himself god created time, reality
>reality/time is part of god
>while playing with himself god like to unlearn stuff, so while trying to learn stuff again, he will problably discover more stuff than he knew before
>while trying to create stuff he created our multiverse. the multiverse is part of reality that is part of god
>then he created our universe. again part of multiverse part of reality.....
>solar system has a council of powerfull gods, they are less powerfull than the ultimate god
>one of the gods not part of the council is the christian god, he is less powerfull then council gods.
>at the start of earth, earth was like the adam and eve paradise.
>god was a benevolent dictator, people had no free will, but had a good life.
>christian satan, told the council of gods that it would be a good idea to make the humans at paradise not have free will, so they would learn more. WIth free will no one is learning.
>the council gods liked the idea and told christian god to do like that.
>the christian god said he would not do it.
>they told christian god to do it or they would be forced to make him do it.
>christian god said he would do it anyway, but it doenst matter because humans wouldn't become bad persons. Christian god didnt needed himself to do it because solar system council of gods could just force him to do anyway.
>he told humans "you wont eat from apple", the free will test.
>the humans did that, and christian god became angry, turning earth at real life earth and sending them there (at the moment humans started to exist).
>if you are more than 95% evil you go to hell, imagine animals didnt evolved at sapient users, hell is that. You appear there (at the moment you died, and not the moment the first sapient living being would exist at our reality).
>if you are less than 50% evil you go to the paradise.

Typically just giant humanoids for when the players interact with them. Though given that my setting has functionally infinite worlds there's probably a few I just haven't created yet that are mindcrushing horrors.

Typically each world has its own Pantheon, though many gods are worshipped on several worlds. One in particular (notJesus) is currently attempting to spread his influence with armies of aberrations.

>all others go to limbo, that is not exactly a real place.
>the second coming of christi is not the real seconc oming of christ.
>at this moment the good people go to paradise and bad people go to hell and everyone else go to limbo.
>the universe then restart and everyone at limbo reincarnate as humans

Well, their true shapes are unknowable and incomprehensible to the mortal mind. They take more palatable shapes for interacting with their followers, which can be just about anything.

The gods are beyond mortal cultural influences, though each culture has their own depiction of each god. In one area, the God of War might be a hawk-headed man; in another, he's a giant clad in plate mail.

>>The Golden One
The dwarves are silicon base lifeform, their god a mountain size metal. Aeons ago it crushed to the earth and sunk deep into the earth crust. It's fragment evolve and become sentient life, the dwarves. A part of its body became the moon during the collision.

>>The Life Bringer
The elves are a mixture of plants and mushrooms, their god a huge transparent airborne fungus. Aeons ago it flew to the earth, spreading green virus all along, which consume co2 and emit oxygen, eventually killing most native early life and create today's atmosphere.

>>The Holy Light
The orcs are a board term describing a blanket of deformed, highly violent creatures. They are former animals that are exposed to the Light, a pure energy that emit heat, light and radiation. Those who are unprotected nearby will experience rapid mutation, both physically and mentally.

>>The Great Minds
The merfolks are a psionic hive mind race, their collective mind forms their "god", which may manifest taking any individual as avatar. As one of the early immigrants their subconscious "mind wave" contribute a lot in uplifting other insentient lives. The merfolks look like squid.

The gods are slumbering and most livings have forgotten the true nature of their gods, and human are just a bunch of hairless apes trying to steal/personify any great force they've encountered.
"I heard voices in this cave, then gold pop out from the ground, must be Our God speaking. And I bet he looks like human."

>LURK MOAR faggot.

HABITATE INCREASINGLY twig.

They tend to take on a similar appearance to the race worshipping them, as seen through the eyes of their faith basically. So like, there's only one God of War, but to Humans it appears a relatively human god, to Orcs it appears a relatively Orc god, etc...

See

Gods are "more" than mortals. Not just powerful, their simple presence exudes a kind of pressure and, well, "presence" that it is nearly impossible for any mortal to bear up against. In other words, when a god's avatar arrives, you are prostrating yourself. Doesn't matter if it's a god you are diametrically opposed to, you can't help but do it.

They also don't manifest personally. Almost never, in fact. Because they represent facets of reality, if they condense themselves into a single discrete figure then they take that facet of reality and magnify it within the local area. So the god of fire manifesting personally is basically a massive, larger-than-the-planet supernova burning hotter than a thousand lesser suns. Meanwhile, the rest of the universe would have nothing, because all of that facet of reality (i.e. fire) is being funnelled to one spot.

No you fucking don't.

The one god in my setting usually looks like a man completely engulfed in flames.

"The air smells of bronze. The light grows dim. You can hear a constant buzzing. The Man of Fire is here. His flames blind you. He emanates the heat of a raging inferno."

He has appeared only once so far

People around the world still have various minor deities that they worship, but they all need to worship the Man of Fire no matter what name they assign to him or he gets a tad murdery. Granted, there are some Outer Deities, but when your entire world is encased by a single Deity, you're a bit out of choice there.

My setting is that a bunch of the main god's bastard children got super drunk, picked a planet, and played a game of Civ 5 with it.

They then got bored, walked away, and things kept going down there, like the Greeks thinking about the Heroic Age, where gods walked among them.

Then, the gods came back and found it, and want to continue playing where they left off.

Also there's beastmen who were the original inhabitants and they're vaguely jihadi. And the only magic is through runes.

Yes she does. Fuck, I play 6~7 different roleplaying games in my group and within those we have different setting variations. If I were to count "my settings" it'd probably be pushing 20 if I'm being pedantic.