Mutant Chronicles

This seems like it would work well for horror based campaigns. Did someone try this one out, do you like it?

2nd ed. mutantpedia.com/eng/GDR.html
3rd rd. modiphius.com/mutant-chronicles.html

I ran a game of it for about 5 months last year. I didn't so much do a horror focused campaign, but I did weave it into the game. Whenever the players would encounter the dark symmetry I'd have an audio cue playing very softly in the background, as they got deeper into the scene I'd slowly turn up the sound until it came to the climax. I used a mix of static, distorted groans and piercing screams towards the end. I'd say it helped sell the atmosphere for the "Dark Symmetry is fucked!" angle of the game and setting.

The rest of my campaign was police investigations, the PCs were on-loan investigators from their respective megacorps to the Cartel and Luna PD. Pretty fun little system, I quite liked the momentum and Dark Symmetry Pool mechanics, let the players do some cool shit in combat and social scenes and really turning the flow of a scene on it's head, like a player rolled a repercussion on a check to search an executives desktop computer for some specific files and ended up tripping an alarm in the system that let other powers known that someone was poking around where they shouldn't. That let me then set up a false flag to bait the PCs into an ambush later on in the campaign.

Things I didn't like were the abstract economy(I could potentially spend almost 10 assets buying a surplus Invader assault rifle? Fuck off) and also the Dark Symmetry Pool mechanics. DSP because it can easily be abused against the players by constantly calling in reinforcements in combats, throwing repercussions in combat, social, and investigations that just seek to stymie the players and get the game to screech to a halt. GM need to have a very solid grasp of it and what they can do, and what they should do. Not something for someone starting out.

So, it takes an experienced and committed GM to make a game work?
Reading the rules it seems there is much space for creative play from the players..

>Someone other knows what Mutant Chronicles is
I have a real soft spot for this setting, it has fun lore(even if most of it is a 40k ripoff) and 10/10 aesthetics. Never tried playing the RPG, but my dad used to play the card game and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a great game, cool cards, very simple rules, and yet fun as hell.

did you play 2nd or 3rd edition?

If it isn't Imperial, it isn't worth squat.
Pic related, my pretty bois.

the Bauhaus elite will make short work of your funny hats

>funny hats
Our dapper hats and sick gas masks are far better than your skull masks. Go back to venus.

Would take Venus over your chilly asteroids every day of the week.

We wouldn't want you on our awesome space rocks anyway.

You ain't seen any space rock until you got intimate with one of us.

I'm playing 3rd edition, good fun.
I don't think I've done a good job of expressing myself. Yes and no to being experience and commited. The GM should always be very familiar with the resulotion and progression systems of their game of choice, Dark Symmetry pool, Momentum, and Chronicle Points in the case of Mutant Chronicles 3rd edition. What I mean about experience I could have more properly have expressed with temperance, it's easy to get swept up in a combat, players paying dark symmetry points for extra d20s, rolling repercussions, gaining and spending momentum and chronicle points that you as the GM can get swept up and keep throwing shit in there that'll end up overwhelming the players. And you're right, there is so much room for the players to come up with creative soltuions to things, it was the highlight of my sessions to see what sort of hairbrained scheme they'd come up with to get out of a tight spot. One time one of the characters, a White Star Night Witch, got the idea to, under covering fire from the Capitol Sea Lion, hot wire an earth mover at a construction site and plow it right into a massive corrupted construction robot that had started attacking them after responding to a call from LPD dispatch. That was great, I had thought they'd wear it down with small arms and call in NPC back up.

Continuing.

The game isn't a monolithic beast of a thing that needs a Johnny-on-the-spot type of GM to run, the core book give some very solid advice and guides to running a game, it was a pretty easy thing for me to get into after not being in the GMs hotseat since 2010ish.

you make it sound so good :)

Bump
Official corporation rating:
Imperial>Bauhaus>Capitol>Cybertronic>Mishima

I wish I could argue with you, but you're pretty much spot on.

>Cybertronic
>not the real heroes

>I could potentially spend almost 10 assets buying a surplus Invader assault rifle? Fuck off
Does MC3 have the bit about decreasing the difficulty of the acquisition test by taking longer, or is that something they added in the Infinity RPG?

No, Imperial has the right idea. Paint them as heretics and use that excuse to raid them and take their stuff.

Imperals are the dindus of the setting

It's not dindu-ing if they accept that they fucked up and throw themselves into the front lines to try and atone.

Imperial fights because it has to, not because it's trying to atone.
And because they're right bastards who enjoy stomping skulls.

I've missed the faction banter, thanks lads.