/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General Stormy Weather Edition

Welcome to the D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Last Time on /5eg/
Of everything confirmed what is your favorite "stormy" Archetype?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/woo78vJ213o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I wanna make a really hard crocodile boss as the leader of a cult because crocodiles are cool as fuck.

I don't really want it to have arcane powers, but I do want it to have another attack than just biting. Any suggestions on what that would be? I feel like their arms are too short to strike.

Grapple into death roll just like a real gator.

Tail whack
Body slam
People's elbow

Is Mystic not making it's way into Xanathar's?

Seconding death roll. Or you can do darkest dungeon memery and give it legendary actions to hide in rushes and then rape someone from inside them.

Guys, I think I've had a revelation about why I have never played the cleric class, and I been playing D&D since the end of 2nd edition and beginning of 3rd.

I'm 32, and grew up on a lot of older video games, and rpgs of the time, if they were fantasy, many of the games' "support" class was the priest, rather than a cleric, which I had no idea what that was, even when I saw the term cleric a few times like in the video game Wizardry 5, or King of Dragons. Most of the time, it was a "Priest" class, so I always associated being a healer/support as a robed priest character, not as a heavily armored warrior/priest. This also explains why I kind of been wanting to play the armorless and weaponless cleric suggestion in page 287 of the DMG where they get monk unarmored defense instead that is portrayed as a divine blessing.

But without variants and going strictly by rules, I see the divine soul (favored) sorcerer, and last night I was like "Yeah these are closest to that old school priest healer archetype that I am familiar with" to paraphrase, thats what I grew up with, that's what I like, if I want a holy warrior I'll just go paladin. So I think a priestly divine sorcerer is in the making for me.

Thanks for the ideas, think ill use them all.

I love DMing, but it sucks that if I want to DM, i'm pretty much stuck doing only that and never playing. I would like to play the game, just a little bit.

>I don't have the DMG errata,
I understand, which is why I told you which one, where it is, and copied the text.

No it's not done.

Nope, neither is Artificer, Wizards want to refine it before release

Any ETA or anything?

I've been doing some world building and the mystic is a perfect fit for the world I have in mind. I just don't have enough knowledge/experience to balance or fine tune it myself.

>tfw spent last hour writing visions, true and false
Prophecies are fun! Especially when players are given an option to discern true from false, but not the knowledge of whether or not their reasoning was correct.

New DM here. Solving the grease saving throw. Do I use the dex mod or acrobatics?

dex

The spell says a dexterity saving throw.

That would be 1d20+MOD FOR STAT, just like any saving throw.

How would you handle revised rangers in Chult? Just let them have advantage on survival checks?

Yeah. If someone wants to be a Ranger I let them do the Ranger things. Would you disallow Expertise because you wanted to do a dungeon crawl and someone rolled a rogue?

...Does the revised ranger not have favored terrain?

Okay, so if Sorcerers are so bad, how come they're the class that can spam Fireball the hardest?

because everyone needs a niche

They're not even the best at spamming the fireball. Evoker wizards do it better.

So their niche is being the physical manifestation of the Blitzkrieg, yet apparently they're underpowered?

Their niche is sustained blaster what with the spell slot conversion.

Ah right, nvm then

I had a revelation about Warlocks. Their spellcasting isn't very good for a supposed full-caster but it's fucking perfect for a gish, and so are the thirsting blade and life drinker invocations for martials despite also being terrible to try to fit on a build. Fuck me if Hexblade doesn't turn this mess of a class into the warrior-mage that was always missing from 5e.

Is Shia a bit overpowered for his CR?

No, he's fine. Hold Person and Tasha's Hideous Laughter destroy him especially easily.

Me too, user.

Levitate would pin him in place nicely as well

Pact of the Chain warlocks are fun. Raven Queen warlocks are fun.

As a DM, would you allow this character:
As a player, would this character be practical?

>Raven Queen Warlock. Raven Queen refluffed as cult of Odin
>Pact of the Chain, Imp, which usually takes the form of a raven.
>one raven on each shoulder
>>the dwarf that gives medium armor proficiency
>uses a hand axe in combat instead of eldritch blast.
>focuses on utility in combat, not damage.
>takes invocations useful in investigation and social navigation instead of agonizing blast.

>Be me
>Really pissed off about some minor thing in 5E
>hop into the thread
>some user randomly mentions a variant in the DMG that fixes exactly what I've been pissed off about
this has happened like 5 times by now.
Fuck, one of these days I have to read that thing back to back.

He doesn't have legendary resistance which is absolutely necessary for humanoid bosses to have. He also can only deals ~21 damage a turn, and wisdom saving throws are very common. Control spells destroying him aside, no, he's nowhere near overpowered.

>yet apparently they're underpowered?
It's not clear if they're powerful enough or not, but it is clear that their design is unsatisfying and often not fun. It's sort of the beast master robotic companion style complaint.

Maybe you should read the fucking manual.

Never! Complaining about things that are already fixed is my favorite pastime!

It's so weird reading through a gamebook (for a system you figured you knew by heart) cover to cover and seeing all the fascinating stuff you missed.

I gotta make a magic item, a legendary shield wielded by a leader of a legion of troops who fell in combat. The shield belonged to a good-aligned paladin of a nameless goddess (plot stuff).

What kind of powers should it have?

besides obvious, relate it to the namelessness of the god.
Like your name is forgotten or you can hide your presence with it

Since it's legendary you might want to give it a +AC bonus, which normally you would want to avoid since giving +1 Plate and Shields gets out of control quickly. It needs one passive effect and then probably a couple thematic spells that it can cast once per long rest or something.

Devils or Demons?

/5eg/, long time listener, first time caller.
I'm about to DM For the first time, for mostly new players. I picked SKT as our first adventure because I like the intruigue with the Giants and I think my players will emjoy all the different scenery & locations.
>Outlander Half Orc ranger
>Outlander Wood Elf Druid
>Criminal Half Elf Rogue
>Criminal Hobbit Bard

How fucked are they?

Not fucked at all to mildly fucked if you balance things properly

How would you build an Earth Genasi Druid?

I'd go land (Mountains)

Devils are lawful and the true heroes of the D&D multiverse

Stone Sorcerer 1/Moon Druid 10

Either this or moon druid, and at 10 you can turn into an earth elemental.

Can chronicle of the raven queen be used with nonsentient creatures?

It seems like it could be. so like in situations where your raven wouldn't be able to sneak into a building, you could toss a bag of roaches in there and kill any who come out. Put their tiny little hands on the book and ask if the dude who meets a certain description cockroaches would be able to perceive is in the building.

I'm sure there's some other more practical way to use it, if you can. So can you?

My Bards power feels so swingy. We're a 5th level group.
Doing ToA we had a big battle against flying enemies on top of a tower. I got shit on. Enemies kept making their saves (Tasha's, Hypnotic, ANOTHER Tasha's) before I got knocked out (Cutting words worked amazing on the opener fireball, did -8 to the damage) but overall I was almost useless that fight
Leveled to 6th and grabbed Counterspell, Fly, and something something haven't decided yet.
Next battle was sent from Acererak while we're still in the mapped lessed undead area of the map. A Beholder and three Spectators appears. "Fuck" says I, the Bard. Init rolls as we sit in our Tiny Hut before it has a chance to fix its AMF eye on us. "Hypnotic pattern"... They all fail their saves. We proceed to one by one kill the three spectators and the big beholder. Would have killed our fighter with the death ray, but cutting words the damage and he barely survived. A huge explosion contingency would have gone off, managed to counterspell it as it was going off. Next turn killed the beholder.

Bards. 50% chance being completely useless. 50% chance insta-ending the encounter.

>Beholders at level 6
What?

No idea. Just figure ToA is brutal or something. Said his name was 'Kazan'. Had Warding Bond on him (which means Acererak was within 60ft?) and a contingent (some huge fireball spell) on him which ment he was also a minimum 9th level caster? Unless he means Ace cast Contingency on something other than himself.

Sometimes I think the DM is trying to kill us.

Any specfific tips? I've been looking at the Black Pudding encounter after 2 orgres in the dripping Caves and it just seems like a tpk, they won't have any magic weapons by then.

Wtf is your DM smoking?!

>finally convinced all my friends to play with me
>finally got them all to agree on a date
>months of prep and I'm gonna be dming my first ever game tommorrow

I-I hope I do a good job guys!!

Demons all the way!
BLOOD WAR NOW

Good luck! Remember to improve when your party inevitably goes off the rails.

fuck off

FUCK YOU ZER MUST BE ORDER!

Kobold fight club honestly, apply some minor nerfs and adjust as needed

Thanks pal

Whether or not you're being facetious, I will admit it has happened to me with a good handful of systems. But hey, that's just part of the process of learning whatever game it is.

You're gonna knock it out of the park, user.

>warrior-mage was always missing from 5e
Meh, I dunno about that. Valor bards are decent until they get high-level slots (and even then it isn't that they're bad at it, just that it becomes more effective for them to cast rather than attack), and EK/Wiz or AT/Wiz make quite good gishes also (especially EK/Abjurer or AT/Bladesinger).
Paladins of course are excellent at it, but they're not really "warrior-mages" due to their power being divine.

No problem, helping people is what keeps the community alive.

my advice would be not to run premade adventures. They build bad habits, and they can lock you/cause drama when that guy reads ahead.

Combat in 5e should be fluid. You can and should balance it on the fly. If it's too easy, reinforcments begin arriving. If it's too hard, the enemy begins leaving because something more important is happening elsewhere, or changing conditions in the environment briefly advantage the players (if they're smart enough to take advantage of it). This is a problem when you're doing premade adventures, because that guy is going to read ahead and complain when you make things harder for the party. Also, since you're getting so used to using other people's notes, you won't feel confident enough to make needed changes yourself.

As you get more experienced with combat in dnd, you'll realize how fucking terrible it is, and begin making mild to major rules changes to make it more fun for you. Eventually you'll develop your own unique system that makes combat work for you. For me, I've abstratcted away from it, and began running combat like skill challenges where damage can be substituted for skill checks and vice versa. It works well for my party, but might not work well for every party.

Until you get to the point that you do develop your own system, kobold fight club is a pretty good resource for putting together quick, somewhat balanced encounters that won't really be that good, but won't really be that bad either. Just remember to balance on the fly after making the encounter.

If you do want to get more advanced, make your own encounters and don't stat monsters. Stat the encounters themselves as giant HP pools with multiple attack type moves that the npcs within the encounters act out.

What features should an archetype based on lycanthropic transformations have, apart from natural weapons and keen senses?

depends on the class that the archetype is for.

I know what you mean. While heavier armor feels right for some types of Clerics, I really wish they had put more variance to it so there was a good mix of robed cleric domains alongside armored cleric domains.

>silence is a spell that requires a verbal component

what was mearls thinking

But, like generally? What kind of feel do people want to get when they play a lycan?

Looking into it, I think I want to go more into a spellslinging Druid and less of a Wild Shape one since the rest of the party is Fighter, Barbarian, Monk, and Ranger. With a focus on Circle Land (Mountain), what spells should I be one the lookout for?

Refine. WoTC just did an update to the artificer document on the DMs Guild and almost nothing has changed.

Is the pdf free?

Wait wait what? WotC is putting Unearthed Arcanas on DMsG now?

Artificer and Mystic are. They want people to be able to make and sell their own subclasses or rewrites as part of a way to gauge reactions and desires.

there's probably a few ways you could go with it, like as a barbarian variant with a transformation-themed rage (everything goes red when you transform), and/or more voluntary transformation with multiple forms (pure human + werewolf + pure wolf, maybe more, with different uses for each)

you could have different flavors for different classes even; the aforementioned berserker barbarian type, a shadowy stalker rogue type, etc.

I'd be more specific but I haven't slept in I don't know how long, point is it's up to preference and what exactly you're trying to do

Plus conceivably have non-UA updates once they start getting more serious about focusing on them.

Fast healing, damage resistance
Improved sense, the abilities of the chosen animal etc

This seems like a group of sneaky petes. They could play it well, though might have trouble in some of the straight fights of the campaign.

In terms of not killing your friends with it yes. But in terms of raw damage no.

If you had to play a 5e Wizard of 8th level, what spells would you take?

Keep in mind, you are playing a Goblin, Wizard. You have access to Disengage & Hide as Bonus actions on your turns. Your hide is also 10, making you quite the sneak at your current level.

I'm um... asking for a friend... Who favors hit and run tactics with his goblin wizard and keeps pissing his DM off with how difficult he is to spot/hit ...but feels like he's missing out on something. Anything goes, he's one of Two, Evil PC's in the group.

Please help.

Do you have any experience with changing time required for resting?

I feel such a weird feeling from standard setting.
Resting even for and hour in living dungeon (bandit camp, cultist hideout,...) seems like it warrants discovery by enemies, BUT we are unable to do more than two or three encounters without resting (and preferably long resting). Going into dungeon, killing three small groups of enemies and then backing away only to return next night sounds pretty stupid and immersion breaking.
Unrelated, but am i only one that is bothered by living enemies not alerting others first round in combat? You're watch, you fuck, that is what you are here to do. Go on, scream for reinforcements!

On the other hand, in long forgotten crypt, it doesn't really matter if we camp here for another day to regain our strength before tackling challenge of another room.

I feel like either of more extreme options could work better in this regard, but both would probably require different tone of campaign.

Man, sometimes i really hate DnD.

youtu.be/woo78vJ213o

>But in terms of raw damage no.
Sorcerer, 6th level adds cha to damage of a specific elemental type
Wizard, 10th level, adds int to damage roll of any evocation spell, 14th level, can deal max damage with a spell 5th level and lower

you're retarded, wizard may get it a little later, but when they do, they completely outclass the sorc

Feeblemind, Antimagic Field or Demiplane

It's just a reupload

10 minute short rests, 8 hour long rests works really well.

The fact that you completely ignored metamagics like quicken and empowered and omitted the fact that a wizard can over channel once without pretty much killing himself is pretty dumb to say the least.

I'm still pretty hype for hexblade.

also gonna ask this on this thread:

I will run the Tomb of Annihilation to two players soon. We were playing just sandbox stuff without following any written adventures before and the PCs are 5 level now. I really liked the ToA so I want to run it and the players want to continue their 5 level characters.

So I am considering adding a DMPC/NPC to the game. It will probably be a cleric that doesn't really talk much. Any deity suggestions for this kind of support character?

>So people want a class where you use magic and swords
>So we made Hexblade to do sword magic
>but it had a weird shadow dog
>playtesters were puzzled by the weird shadow dog
>so we took out the dog and focused on the theme of TAKING OVER PEOPLE'S SOULS WITH YOUR SINISTER DARK MAGIC
Fucking what? You just fucking said, SWORD, MAGIC, is what people wanted, what's this shit about taking souls and dominating people? Just do fucking sword magic.

goblin wizard doesnt really make much sense. how did goblin even acquired a fucking spellbook and learned to read and write and become a fucking wizard? make it a sorceror.

>The fact that you completely ignored metamagics like quicken and empowered and omitted the fact that a wizard can over channel once without pretty much killing himself is pretty dumb to say the least.

They were talking about fireball, initially, which doesn't benefit from being quickened, and empowered really doesn't add that much damage. Yes, overchannel is only free once per day, but MAXIMUM damage for ANY evocation spell is a shitload better than anything the sorc gets for damage spells, as dragon sorc is limited to ONLY a specific damage type, come up against a creature resistant/immune to your element? Guess you're just sucking dicks for that combat. Meanwhile the evocation wizard switches elements and continues to nuke whatever the fuck he wants.

I like sorcerers, I like them more than wizards, but they absolutely pale in comparison.

Goblin shamans rooting through captured spellbooks and becoming first level wizards has been a thing basically forever. Becoming a level 1 wizard is actually incredibly easy, almost any jackass can be a level 1 wizard.

He was a dungeon puzzle resetter then stole the book from a dead wizard and left his people.

Are you retarded? Hexblade isn't just some faggot with a magic and sword, he isn't a simple gish. Hexblade is specifically Elric of Melnibone, the Azure Knight or prince Arthas. It's meant to represent a specific (but very widespread) fantasy of an evil, sentient soul-stealing weapon.

what's the best cantrip for a nonblade warlock that wants to be in melee range? Booming blade? GFB?

Quicken doesn't let you cast it twice, it at most lets you cast a firebolt afterwards.
Empowered is just a damage reroll

I mean, it's a common theme in Elric/Elric expies.
I just wonder how they came up with the shadow dog in the first place.