Fallout in South Africa

I'm the GM for a game of Fallout set in South Africa. I need ideas for quests or just the general setting. it's set about 50 years after the Great War. Please help.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Coast.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_time
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URBO:_The_Adventures_of_Pax_Afrika
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's the point? You already have ghouls infecting housing complexes.

South Africa has more KFC locations per person than the United States even, at about 15 per million citizens instead of 13 per million in the US.

Well since it's in retro futuristic South Africa, with 1950s or 60s lifestyles being a thing the Apartheid government might still have been a thing, including en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Coast.

The U.S supported South Africa due to its opposition to communism in OTL so it's not hard to believe they would have stayed allies in the Fallout Universe despite Apartheid and it's human rights violations. With Project coast still in full swing then, perhaps the South African government manages to get or create it's own form of FEV with help from the U.S with the intention of sterilising or reducing the fertility of Bantus (as they actually planned if you look at the Wikipedia link) but like with the U.S FEV their variety is spread into the local atmosphere and affects all the Bantu in Southern Africa turning them into "mutants" (probably not super mutants, so here you can get creative). Idk what you can do with this story-wise but that's an entire enemy race for one.

How would humans even survive that level of mutant infestation?

Idk, just seemed like a good idea. Maybe you can just make this setting particularly brutal and inhospitable if your players enjoy more action oriented playstyles.

I need more ideas

Bump

Just note, if an Apartheid style regime was still in power in all likely hood by the time of the Great War the white population would most likely not be a minority anymore.
You could have some fun with South African weapons as we are (or should say were) quite prodigious with weapons design and warfare. Which would also make SA a prime target of Communist attack. And the mutated forms of the native wildlife could be terrifying, especially with all the megafauna that is present.

I came here to post this, was not disappointed.

Even during white rule the white population (as a percentage) was under a consistent decline since 1910. A height of about 23% in that year and then it always declined since the non-white population was just increasing at a faster rate. Idk if implementation of this project coast would have occured to some level in the Fallout-universe but whites would surely not be a majority if you take the entire country. A more plausible scenario would be that the regime would have successfully relocated much of the blacks to those bantustans outside of urban areas (bantustans are still within the borders of south africa).

Yeah I'm thinking of having wild animals such as pic related and mutated lions ect just to make the game challenging.

Just take note there are still large swaths of South Africa, especially in the karoo, inhabited by no-one but a few farmers and they're usually just cattle or sheep. There is a high possibility of plenty of non irradiated land. Id also look into snakes with radioactive venom especially Black Mamba's their already aggressive (they will happily attack and chase a horse) and quick.

I imagine sheep being a prime bases for much of the local economy. Would cattle survive as they did in the U.S? I've read the lore and it seems globally no matter where you were the environment was affected by soot-like black rain which killed much plant and animal life. One breed of cattle got lucky and was an Indian variety, hence the name Brahmin.

Apartheid has been covered, but in the fallout universe the primary nuclear exchanges were between US and China, major european and middle eastern centers would have likely recieved some direct attacks as well. Sub saharan africa would likely have been a non priority target, so the damage would have likely been secondary, fallout, nuclear winter, radiation in the water. High ghoul population. Don't believe Vaultec operated outside continental US, so if there were any vaults they would have likely been set up by the apartheid government, but due to cost would have only taken in the uppermost echelons of the government and their families. Two hundred years is... five generations? The jungles, following the nuclear winter, would likely have a lot of mutant creatures and plants. Fucking mutated great white sharks on the southwestern coast stalking the land. Nasty ghoulish and mutated heyenas, the already huge land snails becoming something unspeakable. The jungle would have reclaimed most of the cities. Mutated and ghoul tribes still living the way they always have further in.

cont'd

In terms of people, the whites would have had common cause with the blacks following their exclusion from the vault(s) which were nowhere near large enough to support the population, with some groups remaining at odds. Possible factions of ghouls holding those resentments still, communities of descendants of those who survived outside the vault, with ghoul populations (once your skin rots off it's hard to tell what color you were). Inbred racists from the newly opened vaults, with possible cannibal tendencies akin to the white glove society from new vegas. Bastions along the coast fending off mutant sea creatures and the ever encroaching jungle. Significantly larger threat from feral ghouls due to the primary damage to the region being from secondary radiation sources. Caches of US military tech from before the war sent to the region, most of which was horded in those vaults (guns over food problem). Need for this tech causing faction war between the external apartheid survivors, integrated society survivors, and cannibal racist inbreds with power armor and guns from within the vaults. Possible mutant species which attained sentience. Would kill to see someone do a species of fallout universe mutant great white sharks who are just as hostile and eat people, but fully sentient, possibly allied with vault cannibals, as common cause: food. Feral ghoulified creatures attacking all sides.

Ironically enough our cattle is crossbreed between indian cattle and european cattle. The environment in the karoo is very similar to somewhere like Arizona, In the far south and east in the Easter Cape and Kwazula Natal you have tropical jungles as stated the jungles in those areas would be wild, the Northern Cape province is analogous to Nevada but with a coast and the Western Cape province resembles Mediterranean Europe.

Well if one breed of a specific animal got lucky why not others?
Maybe a mix between Pedi and Afrikaner sheep? Could call it the Kanerpedi.

There are no jungles in South Africa, and only about 1/3 of the land is even suitable for crop farming. I also stated that this story takes place 50 years after the Great War, not 200.

>Tropical jungles

They're aren't really congo tier jungles.

If you've been to Durban or Knysna you'd know that you are wrong

Ah, so much more boring. Ok. Vaults still sealed, no real mutants yet. Some ghouls. Lotta radiation and survivors fighting over resources. Most sick to some extent. Folk remedies to radiation. Basically the FROST mod for fallout 4 but in south africa.
At least include bush vipers for some color, as it would still be full nuclear winter.

Knysna is forested, and not even a lot. describes it like we have uncontacted tribes living deep in the jungle where you could find cryptids. That's really not the case. Jungles require a lot of rain and South Africa already has a limited amount of that, a Fallout Scenario would destroy such an isolated ecosystem here in South Africa. The equator might be a different case though.

Two headed vipers with radiation infused venom?

Weather patterns would be drastically changed as a resukt of a significant nuclear exchange, likely in a permanent manner. Two hundred years out what I said wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility within context. As to the tribes, fuck off, no lost tribes nonsense. Rural Africa is still tribes, even if they live in halfass towns. Only difference is a better quality of building.

Of course i will concede that lost tribes is ridiculous, but in a post-war situation might be right in that they would essentially be tribalistic groupings of Africans who after such a long period of isolation could be used to the same effect, with some modern technology of course.

My problem wasn't rural Africans, it was the idea that there would be some type of encroaching jungle everywhere despite water being an extremely limited resource.

Ah, I see. Assumption on your part. Rampant jungle would be where it is, where the water is most readily available. Which is where the survivors would go, seeking the water and natural shelter provided by the growth. Would people stay where there was no water? Think, man. Whole thing is moot anyway, my misreading of the setting date. No mutants 50 years out, takes a few generations of exposure to cause changes in a population that aren't dead on arrival.

Negrouls are infecting the cities and move in herds.
The Boer become Nomadic Brotherhood of Steel.
Apartheid era bunkers all over.

Krugerrand instead of bottle caps, because gold never loses its value.

I'd also like to see some Sooth Afreekan police robots and shit.

That's actually a good idea

I'd agree but i've lived in South Africa my whole life and have only seen 1 Krugerrand and it was in a museum.

That does not mean they were not once in wider circulation.

Well...it says here it's getting minted to this day, so I like the idea that in this futuristic apocalypse world this stuff resurfaces and goes into public use more.

Maybe you can colonize old gold mines in Fallout SA and the settlers work in mining and possibly minting Krugerrands.

Sorry, i'd forgotten the era in which history stagnate in the fallout universe, in which case i agree that they should replace bottle caps

>Two hundred years is... five generations?
What? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_time
>In human populations, the generation time typically ranges from 22 to 32 years.
The default assumption is 25. So, 200 years = 8 generations.

Is the campaign going to have a structured narrative or is it sandbox? I personally find it easier to start here and move forward, seeing how whatever setting you’re working with would react.

Europe and the Middle East had already collapsed after an incredibly bloody series of wars and civil wars. To my understanding the only functioning nations at the time of the Great War were the US, China, bizarrely enough the Soviet Union, and possibly a US puppet version of Mexico.

>likely in a permanent manner
Likely not. Apart from nuclear winter(which is decidedly temporary), nukes don't really do anything that would cause significant changes to weather.

But this is Fallout we're talking about, so realism isn't exact a top priority.

Have a reborn Rhodesian faction

*YES*

I think the Witwatersrand would be nuked to hell by China.

First structured as an intro. I can later open up the rest of the world

Best idea so far

Someone explain to me the love of Rhodesians. I am unfamiliar.

I think they meant the white people would get in the vaults and everyone else would die, user.

Small elite force defends against hordes of poorly outfitted and trained soldiers, there's also the fact that it was the Jewel of Africa for a while.

For (You)

/pol/ again.

Greatest counter-insurgency warmachine ever seen on the planet.

Short shorts and babypuke rifles.

Sold down the river by the West and stood alone against Russian- and Chinese-backed Communist terrorists for over a decade.

Don't believe the /pol/niggers. Whites and blacks fought side by side against Communist insurgents.

bump

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URBO:_The_Adventures_of_Pax_Afrika

bump

The Boers have become guerrilla warfare ninjas

Suidlanders?

Would the Enclave be there in any way?

How about a quest where you have to get multiple caches of radiation meds?
You'd have to deal with radiation infected people that need it just as much as you, where you could spilt it, take it all or destroy the whole thing

Most of your settlements are going to be along the coast, with the interior claimed by desert. The western side of the cape will have more forest while the eastern will be desert leading into Savannah

The western half will be wealthier owing to a possession of important resources - Water and Coal and Iron. Gold is going to be useless (in the post apocalypse - more on that later)

Capetown is likely a run down wasteland half claimed by desert. Your major settlements are going to be in Port Elizabeth and Durban, with East London and Bloemfontein being neutrals, proxies, or area's of military contention between the two - who are likely to be fighting over the fresh water that can be found in Lesotho.

Unfortunately, I don't think Rhodesia is within the scope of South Africa, except maybe as rumors as an isolationist utopia further north ala Vault Town.

Because of Africa's plethora of resources, it's doubtful the US, China, or Soviet Union would have completely abandoned it- Gold is useless in the post apocalyptic world, but pre-fallout, it would have been very useful because of economic value and as a conductor for electronics. Therefore it is exceedingly likely the US would have maintained a military presence there - the most likely spot being a military outpost NE of Pretoria, or in central Botswana. A military remnant being there ala the BoS (but not a carbon copy of the BoS please, thats just lame) would be sensible, and a third faction to fight for Lesotho.

Durban is going to have a leg up over Port Elizabeth due to their access to Oil Refineries and manufacturing there but Port Elizabeth could be receiving aid from Chinese Partisans who set up shop in secret during the war, only to come out and help organize civilization in the ensuing years. As a result, you could have little china towns/enclaves intermingling with the cities residents.

As I stated before, anyone in this area would be fighting over Lesotho, a source of fresh water with five large important rivers running through the territory.

places and landmarks of note:

>Bloemfontein
The Bloemfontein rail line which connected it directly with Cape Town, important during the Second Boer War and likely still existing (though not running obviously) in some capacity

The birthplace of J.R.R. Tolkien

Replica Eiffel tower near Kafferfonteindam

Bronze statue of Generaal de Wet

Koffiefontein mine

Jagersfontein Mine

>Durban

Juma Masjid Mosque

The Old Fort and cemetary

The Cenotaph WW1 Memorial

The Oyster Box (Luxury Hotel - ruined? Inhabited by the wealthy water barons?)

>Port Elizabeth

Fort Frederick

Prince Alfred's Guard Memorial

The Athenaeum

Interesting suggestions. Thank you.

>Kafferfonteindam
That name.

It's a reservoir. It was the only thing I could think of in relation to the tower that was nearby

IIRC, some veteran was quoted for saying there was no apartheid in the foxholes.

you generally see this historically, yes. WW2 was a huge breaking point for African American rights. It was still shit and you had shit like the Tuskegee experiments, but it forced men who would have otherwise never interacted together, and something about killing the Japanese bridged cultural boundaries

Helps when your opposition are heavily culturally defined by considering themselves racially superior to help get people to reassess views.

If only the world could join hands and kill the japanese together

Bump

The setting basically writes itself.

>“Enclave SA“
The whole fucking government apparatus prepared for a black rebellion. Instead the bombs fell. SA wasn‘t even a target but the the whole fucking continent started moving towards the South.

Not really willing to end up like Rome the SA government fired a nuclear salvo of its own and released a very high lethality virus.

Then they left into some prepared structures and waited for 50 years.

When they returned quite a few of the blacks and pesky white dissidents survived. Some of them as Ghouls and muties.

This is pretty good.

Rhodesian Super Mutants?

Built their own Vault and become the last traces of non-irradiated human stock in South Africa.

I imagine they'd try to re-establish some sort of Boer state rather than act like elitist ala enclave or SA gov officials

>Pre-war concerned with survival of their culture due to surroundings
>Pre-war take active steps to preserve their culture due to invitation of surroundings
>Pre-war boer is the most dangerous job in the world due to murder from surroundings

No, they would be staunchly independent and xenophobic in the extreme. They may also be successful in their survival. They have a history of strong community bonds, a mentality of rugged survival and an industrious nature.

Yes, well, I mean wouldn't they at least try to take back the Orange Free State once they emerge from the bunkers and from there try to live in peace?

They would probably be living in peace and safety in their Bunker-States, trading between each other to keep genetic diversity. Why would they leave that to impose the same conditions on the descendants of the same people they once tried to before?

Well not impose, just sort of try maintain what they have by at least controlling the land between their bunkers, with the bunkers acting as strongholds.

For what purpose? The roads for them would be safe enough the raiders can not get to them and offer a buffer for those that potentially could.

Doubtful. The only thing that keeps it safe are regular patrols and that leads to de facto control

Unless there is a profit, intel or resource to be extracted from the roads/area, there is little motive to do so. For a small group there is zero benefit to go out and begin patrolling a wasteland. It wear down numbers, expends supplies and reveals your strengths and weaknesses to a numerically superior force.

I doubt they would want control, they may be content to life in relative peace and safety.

Until bunker resources run out. I'd imagine it needed, why with the stuff opening up after 50 years.

Vaults, when not created for their original purpose, were entirely self-sustaining.

Vaults yes, Suidlanders? idk

Fallout's pretty steeped in Americana. I'm not sure how much of it is transferable to South Africa.

Do you live in South Africa? If so, you probably know more about the setting than almost everyone on Veeky Forums. If not, why South Africa?

Bump

So basically a fallout-ified dwarven empire?