Map thread. Wat da ya think about my first (unfinished) map? Any advices?

Map thread. Wat da ya think about my first (unfinished) map? Any advices?

Other urls found in this thread:

wyldfurr.com/index.php/product/dungeon-map-tiles/?utm_source=Fantasy Grounds Forum&utm_medium=Forum Post&utm_campaign=Forum Post
fantasticmaps.com/free-stuff/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divide_Creek
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Delete this abomination.

ahahh

>river from sea to sea
That makes absolutely no sense OP.

Overall it's not terrible. You could do with some more variation. The desert placement on the north west makes sense, so that's good. That big river is really awful though, reconsider your choices.

I recommend you think about what story you want the map to tell. This will give your map more character, as it is is random genericness right now. Think in terms of contrasts and conflicts. The map is a part of your game and ought to support its theme. If it doesn't do that it is a waste of time and opportunity.

>Elwynn Forest: Island Edition

As a geography major, those mountains activate my almonds

Yo I simply can NOT make mountains look this good. I dunno if the placement is any good but they look fucking NICE at least.

Id post but I drew my map

It looks like someone bending over and showing their bunghole

>Inkarnate

Postan

The island on the right is great and the way the desert is spreading on the western continent is good.

What he could do is have it originate in the mountains and flow down one side or the other

?

Newfag to making maps here.

How the fuck do I add new repositories of map tiles to MapTools? I've got a folder full of them, but I have no idea how to add them.

Fuck Inkarnate. That is all.

Inkarnate can be decentish, you just need to not be cripplingly incompetent at understanding maps.

This is the whole landscape, and it's all I have done right now.

>df map

nice

What can I say, I'm lazy as fuck and don't want to spend fifty bucks on map making programs.

df maps always look overly hilly to me

I made this update of a very old GURPS map.

You realise that's two rivers which have been joined by an artifical canal right?

gimp is free

GIMP also isn't a map making program, user. GIMP is an image editing program. While it's possible to use it for maps, it's more effort than some people have the time for, or are willing to put in.

As far as map-making programs go, the ones that're actually halfway decent are either paywalled or have interfaces built in the 90s.

Dungeonforge is alright, but there's almost nowhere to find it.

Maptools is alright, but really dated, and kind of clunky at first.

Roll20's free version isn't too bad, and if you have proper packs of maps(Free, not their fucking marketplace garbage), then it's alright. I'm using the following at the moment.

wyldfurr.com/index.php/product/dungeon-map-tiles/?utm_source=Fantasy Grounds Forum&utm_medium=Forum Post&utm_campaign=Forum Post
fantasticmaps.com/free-stuff/
The first one is paid, and I don't have it/haven't found a downloadable version for free yet, but the second is fairly damn good so far. I've been uploading them in bricks to Roll20 for a game I'll be GMing.

OP here. Slept for 10 hours. Thanks for your advices. Btw this "abomination" supposed to be a starting continent. I can fpoto and upload a handmade version if you wanna laugh.

Compare your map to other RPG continent maps. It's... a nice effort, I guess, but it's bad.

Barf.
Points for effort, though.

Well, its unfinished. And its my first try in mapmaking.

That had goddamned better be a narrow channel between those landmasses and not a river.

Then go research the topic and learn how to improve.

Here is some i'm using in my homebrew SpellJammer campaign.

This one is a map of the known Spheres and each factions area of influence over said Spheres.

The party's Spelljammer the Final Solution contained by the goliath fighter Florbo "Man of Legend the Rider of Gorgons"

"Captained" not "contained'

A map for an upcomming campaign

Abnormally straight coastline/10
Not understanding how river deltas work/10

This is a map for some of my Age of Sigmar dudes. It's an area in the realm of beasts where the Bullgors (Minotaurs) of my Beastmen army come from

Probably my favorite so far because the red sea and darkened edges give it some nice flair and it doesnt fall into the cliche traps the other maps seem to drift towards. Whats up with that undetailed middle island?

Any suggestions for something more urban? I never used map tools so I give it a look.

Here's my map from cc3
1/9

2/9

3/9

4/9

5/9

6/9

What was used to make these two?

7/9

A DF map was secretly the starting point for a very long standing setting of mine, I see you are a man of culture as well.

8/9

9/9
I would have done one pic but can't access it at moment

Nice is the program you used named CC? I like the look of it

Used campaign cartographer 3
Cost about $30 and I'm happy with it

Cool I check it out

Looks like a nice start for a Heroes 3 map.

You can do a variety of maps like mine or like OP style, it's a little tricky to pick up at first but its been good so far

My autistic Not-Europe setting.

The red one was made in Gimp, the other one is Inkarnate

It's supposed to be legitimately unexplored.
I've been trying to think of something visually interesting to put there, also need to put a few other landmarks on but i'll need to draw new brushes and that's hard to get motivated for.

Does anyone else create a fantasy map, turn themselves into a character with stats, present your moving around and having sex with the people and creating a family tree from said encounters?
Also wanking and converting that to experience to level up
Pic related

My recent campaign map I have done in GIMP.

You need to fix your river. Rivers don't split if they are not in deltas, also they do not flow from ocean to ocean.

This looks cool but the hill/mountain circle up in the northwest is kinda jarring but I'm sure it has fluff.

Cool as fuck would love to play and see rest of the world.

This map looks like someone stroking his dick, it even has cum at the end of it. Can't unsee.

What is the scale on this? This feels very cozy and comfy for some reason.

Italy still is a boot/10

PAAAAANTS

Muslims are demons/10

Whats the deal with almost every mountain range being coastal?

I like how Ireland is Sardinia.

Modeled it after Alaska and Pacific Coast Ranges but rather than doing it to one side, I did it to both sides. I guess I just love coastal mountain ranges.

I don't know if I love it or hate it. I have the feel that this is the kind of setting that would be better if unmapped.

Who said the rivers in OP's map weren't joined artificially?

I literally just traced a 17th century map of Ireland and flipped it. Not-Italy is also just a wonky old map that I copied.

I think I see what you mean, but it's nice to have a visual representation instead of the vision in my head.

What's the best software for map making?

I usually just draw them by hand but I'd to make bigger and flashier maps.

GIMP
paintNET
paint tool SAI
photoshop

How do I make good looking maps of modern cities? I need to have nice blocks but also stylish points of interest (important buildings, statues, etc.) I'm especially looking for style guides and tutorials, if possible.

I really don't wanna shit on maps, cuz that's not what I came here for, but you really could get a lot more functionality out of CC3 if you learned how to use sheets and effects. Look it up on youtube or something. Pic related was made on CC3 in something like 10 minutes.

A better example

I'm personally a fan of pokémon HGSS region maps. They're so minimalistic in just the right ways.

Not so much maps, but how do you guys design rooms and buildings? I'm running Delta Green for my group and I usually design rooms they'll be searching and possibly fighting in and doing it solely in roll20... It has been less than ideal.

I have no idea why nerd maps always fixate on bodies of water, but it makes the map look like shit. Center the landmass and don't be afraid to let parts of the landmass go off the edge, everything else looks contrived and fake.

The only problem with Pokemon maps is the routes are set in stone, you can't explore even a fraction of the wilderness.

How big does an island have to be to have rivers and freshwater supplies?

Well, in the videogames sure. The map you're responding to doesn't have set routes to every destination. In a tabletop you can do whatever

Rivers don't split, and they don't go sea to sea,
Go look on the internet how rivers and mountains basically work.

When you are a moron who posts on Veeky Forums.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divide_Creek

You have a fundamental misunderstanding on how rivers work, see, you want to start them in a high point like a hill and make them flow towards the sea.

Also, that is pretty fucking empty, and that forest would not be there.

WIP. I have trouble naming stuff.

is this program good yet?

>realismfags
Yes, fantasy worlds MUST conform to our reality completely and utterly, NO EXCEPTIONS

Having unrealistic land features are okay if there's some reason they're that way, but having them be unrealistic in thew way that sea to sea rivers are is just lazy and saying "lol ift's fantasy tho, there's dragons" is not an excuse. Land features like that just break immersion.

you done a good job. It looks good.

How difficult is gimp?

Steep learning curve. But, there's lots of tutorials out there for it, so you don't necessarily have to learn anything if you can just follow directions.

I made this map from scratch loosely following a tutorial I found while googling. Please ignore the fact that it's BRIGHT NEON GREEN; I have to turn the brightness way up to compensate for my printer making everything darker.

Except in the case of deltas, rivers and streams almost never split. "Rivers never split" is good general advice for an amateur fantasy mapmaker. Don't be so smug just because there are a handful of counterexamples.

Green bay fudge packers

Bretty gud.
The lakes with no source might be something to look at though. Why did you put all the mysterious stuff on the outskirts?

I know this is a supremely shitty map, but I'd like to know of any tips for improving it, please.

This poster, here. And by the way this is a very vague overview of an entire (well, eastern part of a) continent, so the places without names and smaller things being ignored is kind of something that will be fixed with regional maps. Major issues I already know of are the major lack of rivers.

Made a few improvements