My first tournament

Went to game store for the first time for an fnm tournament. I was excited to play because I have only been learning about MTG with videos on my own.

>take my magic deck that I bought online

First guy
>skinny teenager with greasy hair
>I offer a handshake and he doesn't even shake my hand or say "hi" back
>takes a good 5 minutes every time he has to shuffle his deck or mine
>I try to make small talk and he won't even answer, just says things like "triggered ability", "I declare attackers", and such things
>have a hard time even understanding what is going on, since I'm just starting to learn
>he wins 2-0 (obvs I don't mind, I came here to learn)

Second (girl)
>chubby girl with green and pink hair
>has 3 guys following her around
>during the match they sit beside her, like team and point at cards for her to play, or whisper on her ears on what to do and how to play
>they just talk amongs themselves mostly, at this point I realise I am probably not going to meet someone to chit-chat with and make friends to play and explain me more about the game
>They win 2-1

>Third guy
>obese guy with stomach hanging below his shirt comes to the table
>catches his breath for a while before we start
>his shirt has stain. several. of different colours, so I am guessing from different things
>starts shuffling his deck and sipping on his mountain dew
>we start playing and he pulls out a big bag of cheetos AND a bag of doritos
>starts playing and snacking on his treats
>at least he was cool about it, he offered me some, which I declined
>his deck is all sticky and some cards are almost glued together, probably from all the grease in his hands while he would handle them
>the smell is unbereable
>during the match pieces of cheetos and doritos would fall off to the table, and would end up scattered around the lands and the creatures
>he wins 2-0 and the tournament ended (wthere weren't many players playing)

Is it always like this, or did I just have bad luck with my first experience?

bump

I'm pretty sure you're lying. This is too stereotypical to actually be true.

But I'll bite.

No, most lgs have the assortment of socially awkward people but emo teen, girl with flock and fat guy who doesn't understand at least hand hygene is either rare or non-existent.

Looks like an average LGS to me

1. Stop lying, your experience was not this stereotypical.

2. No, that's not representative of FNMs. Please don't perpetuate shitty lies about the experience of playing Magic in public.

Yeah I'm calling bullshit, you didn't meet three walking stereotypes at an FNM.

I'm going to try and make this thread less shit and tell my own first FNM experience.

>>Always hated card games and competitive games in general because I'm a pussy and people who usually played competitive games with me were assholes when they won and jerks when they lost
>>Friend who works in store gets me to play Magic once at local con a few months ago
>>Okay this is pretty neat
>>Get into SOI and EMN lore, really like deck style, buy some fat packs, get into AKH and HOU and make a shitty WBG deck with two fat packs.
>>Tell a friend I'll play FNM if he does. Realize two seconds after signing up for standard that there's no way on God's green earth I'm going to be remotely competitive with a deck made of duct tape and good intentions.
>>Oh well I want to see what others have come up with.

Round one:
>>Get paired with 13 year old skinny quiet kid
>>Fuck my first loss is going to be against a child
>>He has a mill deck with Approach the Second Sun
>>Kicks my ass twice
>>Is nice about it, we talk a bit since he beat me in like, 15 minutes
>>Ends up trading some cards with me after FNM, cool kid

Round two:
>>Smarmy high schooler with a merfolk deck
>>Win first long ass round, lose second one as time runs out
>>Getting used to environment, cracking jokes, having a good time
>>People around me are lightening up too, having more fun

Round three:
>>Fat neckbeard
>>Dino deck, no sleeves, doesn't know his cards
>>Kick his ass in round one. Uh, okay.
>>His friends (who are playing next to us) helped him build the deck
>>They help him kick my ass the next two turns
>>Oh well, they were all cool

Round four:
>>Control deck
>>SHIT
>>Lose first round qiuckly
>>Spend ten turns in the second round alternating putting down lands with both of us increasingly losing our shit
>>Lose
>>Had fun

All in all a good time.

>if I close my eyes hard enough, I can make the sun dissapear!

Sure guys, it was all a lie, you got me. They were actually all fine perfumed gentlement in suits who I played against.
I think you lot are just getting triggered because you are probably seeing yourself in one of the people I played against.

I understand spergs hang out at lgs, but i just find it unlikely you met 3 stereotypes in one event. I barely see one of those stereotypes at fnm every 1-2 months.

You played round robin against three other people, all of which are walking stereotypes, which is weird because most lgs's I've been to wouldn't even run tournaments with that few people. But you should have had more people, since opponent two had three competent players following her around during the tournament, which would be a very strange thing to see if there weren't respectable amounts of player at that lgs already...and speaking of opponent two, bystanders assisting players at a competitive level is absolutely not allowed in MTG. To allow such an obvious tournament rules violation would put the store's WPN status at risk.

This entire post smells like bullshit concocted by someone who's never played Magic in order to complain about Magic. Go spend your time doing something worthwhile you retarded homosexual.

Find another venue if you don't like the players. When I judged tournaments we had 3 different stores. The one I helped was family friendly store that gave pity packs out at end of the tournement. Rival stores were either
1. Hyper competitive douche bags
2. Ran tournaments depending on attendance.
3. Fairly nice store with normal douchebag player mix

If you don't like an environment just move.

>I got called out on a lie, now I'm trying to deflect

ftfy

I attended FNM once. It was fun, but I feel like you have to make a choice: go hardcore, or get raped. People were nice, but my shitty deck was so bad that I think even my opponents were bored (I had just started out and had a starter set deck).

One thing sticks out though:

>Playing 2nd round vs a girl
>She's funny and we're laughing at how her mono black is ruining my life
>Just chilling and making the most of a one-sided BO3
>Her laughter apparently makes her nearby boyfriend nervous
>He shuffles over and awkwardly stands next to our table while we play
>He doesn't say a word, but after the game he quickly hurries her away

Jealousy is a killer.

Nice copy pasta faggot

Every time I've gone to an lgs to play magic where prizes are involved, I never have a good time. Sure there are a few people there who came out just to play cards and have fun, but there's always (and I mean always) the guys who spent 600 dollars on their merfolk deck and tunnel visions on the win.

I'm probably just a filthy casual but playing kitchen table magic with your friends where you can run fun, janky budget decks is where I fell in love with the game and it'll always be my favorite.

Agreed. I understand wanting to commit to your deck and spend a ton of money to make it work right, but if that's the case I'll just proxy a deck out of card stock and then watch my friends all do the same thing and we can all have top tier decks that some high level competitor created instead of making use of what you have.

The game's freaking awesome and I love it, but I don't like the fact that the amount of money you spend really helps determine whether you're even remotely competitive at casual settings like FNM. I think in some cases places that sell singles really hurt the ability to play casual Magic, because now anyone anywhere can get the dozen or so fuckawesome cards that dominate a game.

I want to buy a fat pack or two from each of the standard blocks and just do some cube draws with friends.

Why would you not play to win if there are prizes involved?

ITT: Things than never happend

That is the MTG fan base in a nutshell. Though I would have imagined more in the way of annoying teenagers and people trying to lecture you about how Dakota Acess Pipeline protestors hate white people.

If you want a decent community, MTG probably isn't for you. I would look elsewhere.

WAAC fags shockingly attached to MTG for reasons unknown to me. When I play Pokémon or FoW it seems much easier going by comparison. The best thing to do is probably just play EDH with some close friends.

>want to play
>find out there is actually a rpg group in my town which is incredible
>decide to lurk a bit on the site before dropping by
>see baldhead geeks with plastic pauldrons, and antifa hamplanets
>back to the cave

>referee visible behind screen
Gygax is rolling in his grave.

Me too.

>First
Guy with a dumb facial expression, takes long ass time to move shit and acts like a douche. He wins by the skin of his teeth, brags and shit.

>Second
Played versus a friend, 3 games 15 minutes all together, 2-1 for him.

>Third
Played versus a junkie shop owner, he complained all the time and was absent on time to time, he needed a fix probably.

I ended up last. a friend that only played one round was better ranked than I was. They open boosters and I realise I'm the only one whom paid the entry fee. I get shit while the dumb guy gets a 10$ card, fuck this game. Fuck that shit.