40k figure prices make my wallet weep - can you play Warhammer in Tabletop Simulator?

i can't afford to buy the models required for a decently sized army, but what i do have is a nice PC and an HTC Vive from when i wasn't broke as fuck.

i've seen pictures showing some 40k models in Tabletop Simulator, but i've never come across any links to download the models.

can it be done? if someone here has done it, could you tell me how?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cTPFzNt6fck
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

why not build your own?

If you're not painting the models why the fuck would you even want to play. The game is pretty much garbage and the lowest denominator in table top games apart from MTG.

Hi GW. No, I'm not going to help your legal dept shut down cool shit.

because i like 40k, either help me or don't

i was afraid that might be one of the problems with trying to get something like that set up. GW are cunts, ay

hello? anyone?

Just go on eBay or on Facebook trading groups to find models. You can get a decent sized army for less than $300.

sure lemme just pull 300 dollars out of my ass real quick

If you can't afford $300 you can't afford 40k. That simple. It is not a poor mans game.

If you have a PC you're better off playing actual PC games.

no shit i can't afford 40k. that's why i'm asking about tabletop simulator. that's literally the entire point of this thread.

Read the 2nd part of my post idiot.

Ask in /40kg/ the rest of tg hates 40k for some reason

>telling strangers how to have their fun

>stranger wants to play 40k
>has PC
>can't afford minis
>can't afford to buy a used army
>can't afford hobby materials
>can't afford rule sets
>told not to bother with 40k unless he can afford the above & to stick to PC games
>bitches about people telling him how to have fun
It's not my fault he can't afford to play the game as it's designed, and a lot of the fun of 40k comes from the hobby side, and the fact you actually physically play the game against another real person.

The stupid thing is, that it took me all of 3 seconds on google to figure out where to get 40k tabletop simulator stuff (steam workshop).
I'm guessing he's also too cheap to have a legit copy of tabletop simulator on steam, hence why he's asking here.

>person asks how to do something
>instead of telling them how, user decides to tell them what they want
>assumes that because OP can't afford a 300 dollar army, they can't afford a 40 dollar book or a 15 dollar steam game
>OP asked a simple fucking question
>user continues to ignore it just to act smoke

>acts smoke

gj

It literally took me 3 seconds to google the answer. If the OP can't even do that basic, simple task, then he is going to be incapable of playing 40k in any format.

OP here. don't know why i didn't just google it. i was stoned and it just slipped my mind i guess.

well theres your problem, just quit those drugs and get some plastic crack like the rest of us.

who gives a shit

getting high as fuck: $2

getting drunk: $30

getting gud: $999999999999999999

Honestly this is a pretty ghetto method but I went on Ebay and just bought the individual bits for the models. Each set was like $1.50 so I was able to eventually make an entire squad of lychguard at half the price.

>He buys over expensive models to play a game.

Nigga there's so much other good shit to play if you don't like the hobby of model building.

wait which side are you even arguing for?

I'm calling OP a nigger.

40k is a meh game full of unbalanced shit. I only play it because I have the models for it because I like building the models. I can't see how anyone would get the models just to play though.

If you don't like the models/modelling and want to play 40k you are a retard.

i like the models. i'd buy the models if i could afford them. but i can't afford them. so i want the next best thing, which is having the virtual models and playing with those.

how is this so hard for people to understand?

People already do 40K with tabletop simulator thanks to ripped DoW models. Vassal 40K is fairly popular as well.

i hadn't considered that the models would probably be DoW rips, i'd been hoping for IRL-accurate models but now that i think about it i don't know how that would even be possible

You may be mentally handicapped.

You will see models made with Google Sketchup and the like as well. The average joe doesn't really have access to a high fidelity 3D scanner to plop his models in though. It works and looks good enough IMO.

holy fucking shit, who pissed in your cornflakes? i like a game that you don't like, so what you oversensitive gatekeeping neckbeardzilla?

hopefully photogrammetry gets to a point where it would be feasible to precisely scan the actual models on a budget

follow-up: although anyone rich enough to own the number of models required to populate an entire virtual warhammer game would probably also be rich enough to scan them anyway

404 board not found

Holy fuck you're dumb.
How about not spending your money on weed when you're broke as fuck

youtube.com/watch?v=cTPFzNt6fck

Katt Williams is pretty ouch tier man. Not quite Gabriel Iglacias tier, but down there.

A) no they don't, look at how man by non 40kg but 40k related threads turn up. B) any vitriol you do encounter for the bloated, overpriced shit pit of a games system and its, badly written rules and increasingly infantile fluff is not hard to understand.

his comedy is besides the point. the man speaks the truth here.

And what exactly is his point?

Jesus dude. Seriously, stop getting high. It's making you retarded and you could spend the money on some of the things you are complaining you can't afford. You might even get some motivation to get a better job. Fucking weed junkies are the worst, at just other addicts don't act like everybody should be chill about for ducking pathetic they are.

it helps deal with stress. getting stoned helps me put the panic to one side and think clearly.

No other TTG has comparable lore.

If you're broke as fuck and need to smoke to feel normal, you probably should reevaluate some of your life choices.

If you mean inconsistent and now with HH completely autistic I would agree.

i find it rather amusing that you assume that because i have a problem in my life, and i smoke, that i'm therefore incapable of dealing with the problem, and that smoking is why i have the problem.

just because i'm currently broke doesn't mean it's still getting worse. i'm happy with my life and i'll be in the clear in a year-ish. i just have to keep on top of the hard work and deal with the stress until that time.

meanwhile, perhaps, you could stop projecting your fears about your social life onto a single aspect of a stranger's life.

Sure maybe I'm wrong. But the number of bum ass boys is significant enough that me assuming you're one of them is reasonable. The fact that you can't figure out how to play a game on steam, don't know what a general thread is, have no money, smoke weed to "think clearly", and like kat williams doesn't help either.

would it help you calm your tits if i point out i've been there and that's what i'm recovering from?

i'm not saying cannabis can't be abused. it can, and i did. hence everything going to shit.

you know what i changed? i stopped abusing it. i only smoke recreationally on weekends or at the end of the day if i've worked hard. i only smoke to relieve stress if i'm literally having an anxiety attack and need to snap out of it.

you don't need to tell me about the dangers of cannabis. I've been there. i'm not going to let myself back down that path.

Literally do not understand how you can't afford an army.

You don't need to buy it all at once. If you like the lore just play the DoW series, space marine, spacehulk, firewarrior.

Are you working OP? If so then put aside $50 a paycheck towards Warhammer. I didn't buy my 2000 pts infantry guard army in one go. It's been a process of years.

because if i want to stop being broke, i have to cap how much i can spend every week on non-essentials. the other luxuries i'd have to give up to build up an army at a painfully slow rate just wouldn't be worth it.

when i'm back in black, though, i definitely plan to get into the hobby properly.

Get a job you broke fuck. You can get a used army for a few hundred bucks. If you don't have a few hundred bucks then you should be getting a job, not sitting on your ass playing video games all day.

i do have a job you fucking retard, if i didn't have a job i wouldn't be broke, i'd be homeless

Play with card tokens and a
PDF rule book or green and tan plastic soldiers.

Only expensive part is dice and dice are never a bad investment.