Alternative War Games General /awg/

Gay for dragons edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

reapermini.com/OnlineStore/dwarf bones/latest/77353
lead-adventure.de/index.php?PHPSESSID=05006f02020b09ff4a1136503f0663ea&topic=85900.0
manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/dwarfs/product/sveri-egilax-berserker-lord-on-helbrokk.html
docs.google.com/document/d/1N0bbT2a0y_THicAgRS1SxKZA9ZKtDmJpDsiDSyKAkAQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So I'm getting the feeling we may not see the next Heavy Gear Kickstarter go live this month. DP9 has been a bit quiet about it, and the month's almost over.

Although that does give me time to save more money for it.

I wish there was some sort of mech game where mechs are not the be all, end all unit.

I'll probably get called a shill for saying it, but tanks in Heavy Gear will generally ruin a Gear's day.

Tanks in Battletech can fuck shit up with thr best of them, too.

What are some unique fantasy miniature lines? Ones where it isn't just humans/orcs/elves/etc.

World of Twilight. It's all dinosaur looking people.

So about them Elf heads. I've been looking for good alternatives to replace heads I don't like, but I've found squat so far. Somebody claimed they are quite common, so where can I get them?

Warploque Miniatures
Lots of Halfling, Trolls, Not!British Empire

Fanticide was interesting, but horrible minis

Home Raiders (TTCombat)

say something nice to the concerned goblin captain

>so where can I get them?
I'd look into places that sell 28mm heads for 40k and stuff like that.
Then I'd look into historicals, cause there are a lot of companies that do the separate head system. Westwind Miniatures, Warlord and perry all have head sprues.

It really depends on what you are after though. If you want bare heads then check out Hasslefree. They've got bald heads for converting.
If you want a particular helmet design I'd look into getting heads for whatever culture/period they were commonly used in.
If you want a design you can get in the plastic kits of other manufacturers you should probably check out ebay for bits shops.

Alkemy, deep wars and shadow sea

Nemesis
Relic

"You're well painted"

Where are people getting these pictures?

It was posted on facebook yesterday or so.

You know. I really don't like the elf model. I really don't like the dwarf model. And I really like the goblin model. How'd they manage that big gap in quality?

:3

check war game,es news and terrain or the oathmark facebook, they have them up

unfortunately they are design models to get a feeling for the design, the elf is also plastic so maybe that's the reason for the poor looking quality

they dwarf though was part of heir special ore-order deal so maybe the goblin will be with the special offer on the plastic goblins

>How'd they manage that big gap in quality?
There is no gap in quality imo. They are all well sculpted and have very grounded designs.
What you are talking about is maybe more related to the fact that the goblin is wearing a hodge podge of armor that is a common sight in fantasy and the other two look more like historical miniatures when it comes to their armor. The goblin is also the most detailed of the sculpts. Basically looks more finished.
I'm not sure I like the elf myself, but I think the dwarf looks fine. They are just more old school. Kind of what you'd see in 80s D&D.

That said none of these are gonna be commercially available.

Honestly, I think the elf's face looks like shit. The goblin is all round great and I like the dwarf for his oldschool look, except for the hammer's head. The elf is really good, especially the hands, but the sword looks really lazy and the face is just terrible. The paintjob doesn't help either, he looks like he has harelip.

Not sure what you mean by war game or es new and terrain. The Oathmark page doesn't have the orc or elf(?) image.

yeah mean Wargames News and Terrain, i'm on mobile rn so i completely fucked that up.

that site is where the image is atm, but a lot of news is coming in on the facebook page first

Thanks, I'm really liking the design of these dwarves, elves and orcs. Maybe a future The Hobbit project.

I wish retro-futurisic miniatures were more popular than they are. The only mini lines I can find that sort of fit that style is because when they were made in 80s and just havent been updated.

You definitely didn't check out Crooked Dice then. They got a bunch of stuff you may find useful.
Bombshell Miniatures as well.
Hydra Miniatures got a range called Retro Raygun. This one is a bit older, but not from the 80s.
There is also the Die Hard Miniatures Kickstarter going on atm. I think they are on the last few days even. They have a handful of old school looking sci-fi minis too.

i've already started the build up of my mordor army with some Artizan andalusians for Umbar, the goblins are going to be my Snaga

Do any of those have vehicle lines as well? Can't seem to find them if they do.

No, but you could try the Grendel iKore/Void stuff.
They have a few.

Reposting this from a few threads back. I've played a short campaign as the Systems Alliance and had a tonne of fun with it.

Hey /awg/, Ive been trying to find a game I saw I while back. Can't remember the name, but I think it was about large skirmish/small battle scale, and featured different Houses fighting for dominance. I think one of the houses were demon worshipers with THICC two handed swordswomen as one of their units.
I had a pretty fun demo game but I've never been able to find it since.

hey AWG,
DOES THE ARMORED PLATOON IN KONFLIKT 47 --COMMAND VEHICLE-- HAVE THE ABILITY TO SNAP-TO-ACTION OTHER
VEHICLES, it does specifically say it doesn't for infantry and artie

Thx.

the warlord games forums are non-existent/down, so i haveta ask here, sorry

Hey /awg/, I played a demo game a while back and I can't find which game it was.
It was a large skirmish/small battle scale, and the factions were all scions of noble houses. We played with some demon worshippers with thicc, masked swordswomen, and I think the other faction were sea people?
Ring any bells for anyone here?

Wrath of Kings.

Neat, no wonder I kept thinking of Kings of War. Thanks not-so-user!

while we are at konflikt 47
can anyone post the rulechanges from the resurgence supplement, please...

>Surrounded by all sorts of models from all sorts of games
>Think about how fun it will be to learn and play them
>Get home from wherever, lose all motivation to work on them
>Surrounded by unbuilt kits

You guys ever run into this problem?

That is basically the hobby.
Hoarding stuff and making plans.
Then you have an existential crisis where you end up buying some new models to cheer yourself up.
They inevitably end up on your to-do pile as well, which is when the cycle repeats.

That's...kind of a relief. I was under the impression everyone else had their act together and I was the rare screwup

No that's completely normal.
Not healthy, mind you, but normal.

>Deep Wars & Shadowsea

Mahnigga.jpg

mine looks like:
>Surrounded by all sorts of models from all sorts of games
>Think about how fun it will be to learn and play them
>Get home from wherever, something comes up and keeps me from the garage
>Surrounded by unbuilt kits

Mine is:
>>Surrounded by all sorts of models from all sorts of games
>>Think about how fun it will be to learn and play them
>>Only home 1/4 of the year, usually too tired to work on them when I get back
>>Surrounded by unbuilt kits

Seconding that. Everybody seems hyped and praise these guys. And I get it, I also like the idea, choice of armies etc. But I don't like the sculpts myself. Dwarfs look too boring, too regular for me. And that elfs just ugly. Dunno maybe I dont like too realistic approach in fantasy minis.

Anyone else look over the KoW: Vanguard alpha rules yet?

The game looks fun. Bit of a mix of KoW and Deadzone. Biggest things that stick out for me is the LoS being a straight flat line from the back of the model's base, and it actually giving up true LoS, going for a height system and measuring from the base.

It looks kinda fun. Hope there will be more weapon options in the final version.

The warband lists feel extremely basic, even for an alpha build. Its also the biggest issue I'm having so far; I'm not all that interested in the lists they put out so far.

Yeah. If they can expand the options I'll be a lot happier about it all.

I am looking for an old game report from a blog. It was a Star Wars club participation game, based on Troops, with rebels, imperials and ruffians fighting over Mos Eisley. They even made custom billboards and so on.

I know it sounds sketchy, but maybe someone on AWG remembers that one and other ways proved ineffective.

>I wish there was some sort of mech game where mechs are not the be all, end all unit.
Mentioned it in the last thread, but playing PHR in Dropzone scratches this itch for me. As long as you are also from that generation of kids raised to think ED-109 is just the neatest, it might be for you too.

Does anyone here play batman miniatures game? I was thinking of getting Reverse Flash but i cant find his stats relative to Zoom.

I can't get over how cute this miniature is. Maybe Beastmen aren't the bad guys after all.

Nevermind, found out you can see all the stats on the knight models webstore if you click the "view product data" thing. Seems Reverse Flash (tv show) is cheaper than zoom, has scheming rather than strategist and has some gimmicks. I think unless you fight speedsters a lot (in which case the tachyon device power is amazing) Zoom is the better choice, even if his phase strike costs 1 more power and he cant ignore paradoxes his extra willpower, endurance and access to strategist is pretty awesome. Johnny Quick seems like the better "Evil Speedster" for the most part though, since you can hire him in Joker crews, which is actually kinda strange since he fucking hated "The Jester" on earth 2.

Also i find it hilarious that thanks to combining Law Forces and Batman into "The Brave and The Bold" Catwoman cant be hired with Batman anymore. Betrayed again! She has "Hates Law Forces" which is now "Hates Brave And The Bold".

Also just some more random batman miniatures shit, holy fuck aside from that the worlds finest letting you take superman i think this is probably the most costly/powerful batman mini. Not sure how the horse works, says +1 movement but then 4 endurance. After you take 4 damage you lose the upgrade maybe? Crazy shit, i guess the idea is you try and play around her, not fight her since she isn't going to have much of a team and she cant kill ALL your guys, even with her 10 willpower +2 tokens for living legend.

I hope they keep changing the hireability of Catwoman just to keep with the theme.

>Also i find it hilarious that thanks to combining Law Forces and Batman into "The Brave and The Bold" Catwoman cant be hired with Batman anymore. Betrayed again! She has "Hates Law Forces" which is now "Hates Brave And The Bold".

Per the current FAQ, "hates law forces" has been removed from all versions of catwoman, catman as well.

I hope they add "Hates Batman" or something in a month or two.

Speaking of BMG, anyone else hype for tomorrows JLD full reveal? Also looking forward to seing the rules for the new two face crew box.

Good for you.

Definitely looking to forward to more batman stuff. Justice league, eh......

I want this model and the Oathmark goblin captain to team up and have adventures.

All the JLD stuff is supposed to be multiverse

>I don't think we should go into the forest Jakub
>don't be so worrisome Clive, apparently the trees sing to each other at night

Is this all?
i thought there was turning the rules somewhat to 2nd edition bolt action?

any answer to this specific question? bud of mine thinks they can, need to clarify

That's gonna be scary. Lots of high power scale models there...

Swamp Thing is already playable, Zatanna is pretty batman related anyway, Constantine is probably on batmans level.

>New errata, Catwoman gains "Aversion: Batman" and "True Love: Batman".

What company has the best Squigs? Looking to do a fantasy Night goblin army and GW don't produce theirs any more

What's that mini? I've been looking for a dragon like that.

It's from the Joan of Arc game that's up on Kickstarter. In scale with 10mm models.

Looking for 28mm (WHFB) scale? Well, first bet is probably just snapping up used lots from auction sites. But there are plenty of others:
- Kromlech has their lovely Gnaws.
- Scibor's got a few "mutant" minis that can work
- All4Wargames makes some
- Ramshackle makes furry ones.
- Black Hat's War Hagises are also furry squigs.

It's also worth pointing out - Squigs are a really great place to start if you've been thinking about getting in to sculpting your own pieces. They've require only very simple armatures, you can't really screw up the proportions, and you can practice doing a range of textures.

For 10mm (warmaster) it's a little more limited, but there's still some options:
- the old NGob regiments had some random squigs in them you could clip out.
- Pendraken makes the Squoggler, which is a look-alike.
- Polar Fox has an awesome squig unit (pictured)
- you can also often source small squigs and lookalikes from larger scales

>In scale with 10mm models.
FYI the Joan of Arc game is 15mm (albeit appears to be a "true" 15, not like a big-15-actually-more-like-18). The dragon would of course work fine for probably anything from 6mm to 20mm.

My brain has made the assumption that this beastman has the same voice as Goofy (inc prefacing every sentence with a hearty "hyuck hyuck").

There's also pic related from all4wargames, but they're a bit expensive considering ($22.90 for 7).

I've seen these amazing dioramas before, what is the source?

Yeah, those are exactly the ones I meant. Thanks for finding the pic!

Oh sorry, I missed that you'd already mentioned them when I read your post.

Bumping with little of value.

Though I've been trying to write a skirmish game which represents weapons well enough, but I'm finding it near impossible to keep mêlée stats down in number. Would you lot say it's better to have extended stat lines or just a couple of weapons rules like 'reach', 'armour piercing', 'unwieldy' etc.?

I'd say you're better playing one of the billion games already out there instead of writing your own clumsy shitty game you can't even make properly without help.

Honestly, try both and see how they play.

Bash together some quick rules, ad-hoc units and see which you prefer.

I mean, sure, but I like making things. It's fun.

Seems a fair idea. I mainly just wanted the stat block to fit into a nice 3*4 grid, rather than having odd lengths.

>12 stats
>for weapon only
Dude...

The world needs more Phoenix command clearly.

And I am a guy who spent childhood fighting with paper chits using 11 x 13 combat grid.. (2k6 for row, from ratio 1:4 to 10:1 in the column).

less is more.

Does anyone have a mounted dwarf miniature that doesn't cost 30€?

Battletech?

Are there mass effect miniatures to be bought anywhere?

reapermini.com/OnlineStore/dwarf bones/latest/77353

>but I'm finding it near impossible to keep mêlée stats down in number
In theory you only need to describe
>swords
>maces
>flails
>axes
>spears
>shields
And you basically have everything covered.

I'd even say you can cut that down to
>hand weapons
>spears
>shields

The only reason to have individual stat lines for weapons would be if you want to differentiate between different makes or specific swords.
Say Exalibur is a sword +2 ouch stat.
That falls into RPG territory already in my opinion, though.

>or just a couple of weapons rules like 'reach', 'armour piercing', 'unwieldy' etc.?
This sounds like it would be a lot easier to deal with.

With the rider separate if possible?

Its from here.

lead-adventure.de/index.php?PHPSESSID=05006f02020b09ff4a1136503f0663ea&topic=85900.0

manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/dwarfs/product/sveri-egilax-berserker-lord-on-helbrokk.html

>I'd say you're better playing one of the billion games already out there instead of writing your own clumsy shitty game you can't even make properly without help.
If everyone took that attitude we'd all be stuck playing Six Men's Morris or some shit.

I have been relatively busy over the past month, but am back at Warstack. This is my attempt at building an "Alt Activation" game where you can spend "Tactical Points" as resources to manipulate the turn order. It uses a stack ala Magic the Gathering for resolving "Interrupts," and "turn order" is less about die rolls or "initiative stats" or so, but rather about deciding when to outbid your foe.

The main update is an "untested" part about how to handle Interrupts versus attacks that target multiple units, as well as how Interrupt mechanics work with 3+ players. Let me know your thoughts so far. Rulewise, I feel pretty solid about the turn-structure crunch, I just need to get the thing edited and formatted prettily (as well as adding a summary sheet, etc).

docs.google.com/document/d/1N0bbT2a0y_THicAgRS1SxKZA9ZKtDmJpDsiDSyKAkAQ/edit?usp=drivesdk

Best guide for design is - Always start with the simplest conceivable mechanism. ONLY add complexity (in the form of more stats, more rolls, more special rules, whatever) when you've demonstrated that there's no possible way to achieve the desired goals within the simpler framework. If you can find a way to make your combat system work to your satisfaction with one stat and a single d6, by all means do that.

There are a couple. Pic related can be found on Etsy for example.

Sedition Wars had a limited edition resin model that looked a lot like a Krogan.
You can also get Krogans and heads for some other alien races from Shapeways.

Hasslefree and Gates of Antares have a bunch of models that look Mass Effect-ish and could be made to look the part with the right paintjob.
The Panhuman Concord from GoA is supposed to be the home of several different human morphs, as the name Panhuman implies. Warlord is supposedly planning to release separate heads to convert some of the kit somebody already made a sprue with Mass Effect heads though.

I also remember seeing a few 54mm sculpts a while ago. It's around, most of it is a bit tricky to find though, cause they are unlicensed and therefore have to use a different name like Density Cause or something.

Oops, my bad.

>Sedition Wars
>Hasslefree and Gates of Antares have a bunch of models that look Mass Effect-ish and could be made to look the part with the right paintjob.