Would you play in a setting based around an eternal hellwar...

Would you play in a setting based around an eternal hellwar, where all mass in the galaxy has at some point been repurposed into war machines and infrastructure?

There's still space and stuff, it's not all a big mega structure, but you don't live on planets, you live on dead XVIII gargantuan siege platforms.

Other urls found in this thread:

springrts.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=sR2296df-bc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So basically 40k, but even more ridiculous, where there IS no peace, or normal life, and just ever aspect is dedicated solely to fighting?

Well, of course there's going to be value drift.
It's just the war values are the ones that are most successful/impactful.

So total anihilation?

I'd play it if I got to experience the top tier of warfare. I wouldn't want the majority of my experience to be just random battles between armies, as cool as that might be to see the various forces and their methods of warfare, I'd want to see the major action. Massive warfleets of flying space canons just endlessly shooting into space without aiming just to hit the enemy, huge carpets of missiles flying in cross cross patterns, causing so many explosions that you can't even see space anymore. Ridiculous mechanical contraptions with no real strategic value, just mayhem and combat power.

I'm talking shit like massive space ships sitting in formation, using gravity based tech to launch moons like catapult ammo, and said moons have been completely emptied out and fulled to the brim with super nukes and the surface has been plated, so it's a giant fucking nuclear canonball thats thrown at space fleets or fortress planets. Planets peeling open like fucking Graboids, the insides having been transformed into just an impossibly immense grinder and the planet just swallows space ships fleets and enemy planets, grinding and chewing them up.

I'm talking ridiculous shit like massive space ships, bigger than planets, built to look like giant blades, and their sole purpose is to fly at planets and chop them in fucking half.

I am talking about weaponized black holes and star cannons, and physics shattering weaponry that makes you wonder how the fuck these people havn't broken the universe yet with their warfare.

I wanna play that scale.

god, I love hellwars.

Oh, by the nine hells, yes

This is now a topic about weapons of extreme galactic warfare.

>The Geogun- A massive Star Eater class flagship constructed by the Eugerius Conglomerate. A break through in the experimental 'hyper life process' The Geogun is a cannon flagship, it's entire structure devoted to shooting a form of projectile. For the Geogun, it's projectile is thick ray of bright green energy, when the energy comes into contact with a planet, the beam will spread across the surface of the planet in seconds, saturating the surface with hyper life particles. These particles force rapid and extreme growth in every form of life, from the complex to the bacterial, turning even the most barren of planets into lush, swollen planets of life, however, the extreme growth and flourishing will cause all life on the planet to exhaust itself in this instantaneous blooming, and in a matter of hours, the planet will go from lush and fruitful, to completely dead. An extremely effective planet killer weapon.

So, like Total Annihilation where we convert entire planets for our giant robot wars?

Oh please, with a war of this magnitude they will need nine brand new hells just to fit all the dead.

Astronomical-scale stuff is just too abstract for me to get invested in. Past a certain power level, you're so far into the theoretical that you might as well just sit around the table playing 7th dimensional Mornington Crescent.

Playing in the ruins could be fun, though.

Everyone does the ruins, though. Why not be more original?

Ruins are overdone though, not saying you can't enjoy them, but instead of marching through some lifeless husk of a planet that looks like it's had a giant chunk just blast off it while you dig through old scraps, why not be in charge of the ship that blasted that giant chunk off the planet? Or in charge of the armies that let behind all that scrap as they sieged the planet in a storm of hell fire that cracked the very skies?

Is there also a part where everyone is just robots now when the whole reason for the war was that we DIDN'T want to all be robots and we all just forgot that last bit?

>The Warp Knife- A Sky Splitter MK. 15 class suicide ship. Warp Knives are piloted by brave souls who have no interest in ever returning to the world of the living again. Outfitted with a specialized warp drive, Warp Knives are designed to enter warp speed, and then never leave it again, trapping the pilot and the ship in the warp stream. However, in exchange for this, the Warp Knife will fly around without any direction, with the intent of passing through enemies ships at warp speed, which can have disastrous effects on the vessels as physical matter passing through them at a speed faster than light tends to be a very bad thing

>"We fight this war so that we may be free to be living, breathing people, and not machines!"
>"But our entire race is now robots"
>"Thats besides the point!"

That's why you make players to go through a couple of missions where they blow up planets, engage in black hole bowl and personally oversee culling of a couple billions of sophonts, and then you give them a breather where they just talk to their fellow soldiers and generals in sci-fi but more or less normal interiors. To show the contrast.

Absolutely! I always love settings with exotic worlds, and a setting like that would be awesomely unique to play in!

Pretty much. CORE has uploaded its citizens into the consciousness repository to live forever and copies the minds of their best fighters into robot bodies. ARM, which originally was about keeping humanity biological, responded with cloning and neural programming, so in Total Annihilation the two opposing sides are basically just robots versus robots with biomass inside them. With all actual humans long dead due to the 4000 years of war, only the self-replicating war machines remain to tear up planets for resources to keep the war going. Like the title puts it, "The only acceptable outcome for either side is the total annihilation of the other."

Speaking of Total Annihilation, Spring RTS is a free RTS engine that basically lets you play it for free on the best UI I have ever seen. It might have ruined RTSes to me since after that everything else seems like such a huge step backwards: springrts.com/

I don't think soldiers, or even generals, would even possess opinions in such a setting. The warfare might be so extreme it shatters minds.
I mean, imagine being a soldier in such a setting, and you are charging the enemy lines, carrying a gun that boils people from the inside out in a violent explosion of gore, and you look up, and you see the local sun, and it's moving, propelled by an immense gravity well that has turned the star into a giant flail and is now pretty much playing pool with the other planets nearby, meanwhile chunks of the planets moon are falling in giant fireballs after it just scraped up against one of the flag warships and turned to fucking space dust that is now bombarding the warfield. Would you have a moment to think "I have dreams, I have aspirations and thoughts, I like art and music" or would your mind already be fucking broken and just piloting you towards the meat grinder?

>"Alright, I wanna fire the cannon!"
>Okay, roll to hit"
>"Okay...I got a seven"
>"Alright, your ship fires it's cannons. From your position on the bridge you can see the beams of pure might fall upon the surface of the planet, and in an instant you see fireworks as the atmosphere splits open, cracks of pure fury splinter across the colorful sphere, and like dropping food dye in water, the color of bright, untampered red spreads out over the planet, swallowing it in the single shade. A series of data reports pop up on screen and one of your officers informs you that the cannons successfully vaporized all life on the surface of the planet. Moments later another report is sent, you are informed your commander is disappointed that your cannons didn't reduce the planet to dust like they are capable of, he informs you that you should try a bit harder on the next one."

This sounds absurd. People writing about ships as big as a planet don't realize how big planets are.

You know, at this kind of scale you're basically reaching Culture or Xeelee levels of destructive power. This'd work for a comic, an animation, or a written story, but for a game? There'd be no way to actually play this damn thing without losing all impact under "roll to see how many of the enemy die". If literally everything is being destroyed, what kind of stakes are there left? Might as well just put on Adagio for Strings while ships get torn apart into wreckage and everything turns into a flashing light for a moment when they die.

You sir, don't seem to realize how big my ships are.

youtube.com/watch?v=sR2296df-bc

Yes, those are the continents of earth in the start.

Yep, dreams, aspirations and family.

On work hours soldiers, generals and other guys kill planets, genocide entire species and blow up suns, and then they go home and grumble to their spouses about how their work is hard and boring, and thankless. And it was much better when the "Murdinator-33000" only came into service, but now everyone has it, and it kind of became stale and doesn't cut it.

That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard

What the f is this s

Sci-fi authors can't into scale

It's space, nigger. Get over yourself.