/bgg/ Board Game General - I'm too old for this shit edition

Previous thread
Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#
Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

Alright /bgg/ what games have you aged out of? Is there something you loved in the past but just doesn't draw you in anymore? What turned you off of it? Conversely, what games do you enjoy more as you game longer and get older?

Yeah, that's part of the reason I feel it needs that 4 player party. Early death in 2 player parties will quickly spiral out of control, but early death in 4 player parties you still probably have a good chance.

I think that's pretty forgettable though. It really is a pretty rare thing that you get literally 1 shot it seems. What seems to fuel the luck more than anything dice related or anything seems to be the ridiculously influential encounter deck. It's really interesting for mixing up every encounter, but there are some serious shackles they put on you at times. One made us fight without attack dice because we failed a lockpick attempt which we won out barely by using the ticking timer system and the tank's ability to heal 1 each turn. Another created a no win scenario where we had to spend the first 2 turns defending and ended up with monsters with just absolutely vicious attacks.

Still, I really loved the game. It seems if you get past those first couple encounters without getting screwed like that, you really start to get a ton of options and things get really tactical really fast without just getting too easy. Each fight felt close, it's just those early fights can really hurt you when you don't have too many options available to you at the time. Played 2 games in 3 hours though so not nearly as long as I was expecting.

Is there going to be any opportunity to buy the pieces from the Dark Souls board game by themselves or are you going to have to buy the game?

I'd really like to paint up a Gwyn but I'm not about to shell out $120 for him.

>why are these absolute hackjobs popular?
You answered your own question
>padding half of the length of the video with Reddit-tier forced humour

>turn off
early in my board game purchasing days, I made the humble mistake of buying games for the sake of appealing to the lowest common denominator instead of games that actually interest me. it didn't take long for me to get sick of bland crap like 7 Wonders and Pandemic, and I still haven't even played Mysterium or Tales of the Arabian Nights. I also immediately hated MTG: Arena of the Planeswalkers

true, I seriously overestimate people fairly often

>What's so fantastic about it?
Well you've made me write a shitload of words since it's quite the interwoven game as far as mechanics go, and the best part is that all of this crunchiness can be played in about a hour on average, going as low as 45 minutes and up to 90. I figure if you've pre-ordered John Company based on the rulebook, I should at least go into good detail since you're definitely the target audience (and I hope other people here are as well!) for this.

An Infamous Traffic is a rather brutal economic game that focuses its historical theme on 19th century China, where you're playing as British opium distributors trying to amass fame back home in Britain and competing for dominance in either fleets along the coast, merchants inland or the actual opium itself coming from abroad. Explaining how to play is going to be a pain in the ass in that there's no really good way to simplify it but it becomes quite fluid when you actually play, so bear with me.

The game will generally play out over four rounds (three rounds if it's 5P) and the two wincons are either having enough VP at the end of the game (achieved by sending your scions to Britain at the end of each round to gain notoriety in high society and/or by having dominance in either investment type) or if China falls into instability, which can trigger during the game and will end the game immediately. The majority of the game will revolve around attempting to complete supply chains in order to generate income, and generating income will allow you to invest in more opium/fleets/merchants, but you will lose 1 income for each ship and crates of opium that you invest in. Each player starts off with 0 income and no holdings, your income can go as high as 18 or as low as -4. The amount of times you can invest in a round depends on your current income during your turn (which fluctuates if you pass thresholds) so having more income will allow you to assert greater board dominance.

However it's not going to be easy at all, and it's incredibly likely that you're never going to surpass an income of 5 during a 4P/5P game, and it's very likely to end in negative income. You're never eliminated from the game, however.

Completing supply chains along the coast requires a shipment of opium, a fleet, and a mix of merchants, smugglers and Chinese bureaucrats. Inland regions do not require opium or fleets, but they must connect to a completed coastal supply chain in order for an inland supply chain to be completed. Merchants require one of two specific requirements before they can be placed on the board, either through using special envoys (invest in a merchant but allocate them as a special envoy instead) or if a region is considered opened (all regions are closed at the start of the game, except for region A in 5P). Smugglers and bureaucrats are obtained from the conspiracy row, which initially starts off with 3/3/2/2/1/1/1/1 counters, and then each circle will be replenished with a counter at the end of the round, including circles that still have counters. Other things appear in the conspiracy row, and I'll explain those when necessary. The problem with completing supply chains however is that each region has a certain amount of demand, and you can not exceed that demand otherwise the chain will not be considered completed. The demand is specified by rolling dice and adding it to the region (there's two dice in region A at the start of the game) and dice are added and re-rolled from the dice pool from picking up smugglers and missionaries from the conspiracy row, placing smugglers either in the same region or adjacent region as existing smugglers and missionaries in adjacent regions from existing missionaries (one starts in region A).

Smugglers and bureaucrats will have a fixed value between 0-3 (there are no 3 value smugglers), but the variability comes from the value of the opium, fleets and merchants specified by the players. Opium can have a value of 0-3, fleets can have a value of 1-3 and merchants can have a value of 0-2. When you place either of those from your holdings, you can specify the value of them when you place it on the board so you can aim high initially (if the dice gods and the values of smugglers and bureaucrats favour you, or if you want to be greedy) or try a more moderate value if you want to attempt a "safer" completion. Placing them does not cost any income. If you need to, you can reduce the value of your things as an action during your turn if other players are demanding high and don't want to particularly co-operate with you in completing the supply chain. On top of that, if you are aiming high someone else will most likely attempt to undersell you by placing their own opium/fleets/merchants at a lower value and kick you off the supply chain, regardless if the supply chain is completed or not. The only way to prevent being undersold is to have dominance of opium/fleets/merchants (which gives 2 VP per type for endgame scoring) by having a clear majority either on the board or in front of you, or if the value is already at the minimum. Once a supply chain is completed, you put a cube in front of the chain indicating that it's completed, you move dice from the region back into the dice pool (do not re-roll the dice) equal to the amount of smugglers in the chain and each player in that chain gains income to the value of their items. If you reduce the value after completing the chain, you lose income equal to what you reduced it by. If you're undersold after completing the chain, the person who undersold you gains income equal to what they specified, and you lose income equal to the difference.

There's also one additional restriction to placing/underselling things on the board - there must be one dice in a region that has the same value as any dice that are in the dice pool, or you can't place opium/fleets/merchants in regions. If a region has only one dice with a value of 5 and there's no dice in the pool with a value of 5, then you can't do shit. If it has another dice with a value of 3 and there is a dice in the pool with the value of 3, then you can place things on that region. You can use special envoys to bypass this restriction, or regions need to be opened. The effort to bypass is generally not worth it unless you want to undersell, but it's important to note for people who are completing supply chains that if there's still dice in a region after moving them back to the pool that you want to keep dice that do not have a value that's in the pool.

As much as a pain in the ass it is to complete supply chains, breaking completed chains is remarkably easy as long as the right tools exist in the conspiracy row. Naturally, there are consequences for this from multiple vectors which may benefit someone else (and not necessarily the person who initiated it) and when a completed supply chain breaks, everyone who has things in the supply chain moves them off the board back into their supply and loses income equal to the value of what they were on the board, reconstructing those chains is very unlikely to happen.

These actions will also increase the level of outrage and/or Qing presence (each begin at 0 and 2 respectively) and if the outrage is greater than the Qing presence at the end of the round, an opium war will trigger. The first way of breaking supply chains is to use Qing forces from the conspiracy row that have a police action marked at the top-left corner of its counter. This police action will remove a smuggler or missionary from the board, but it will increase the outrage by two and Qing presence by one. Qing forces without a police action will increase Qing presence by one, and there's one special Qing force that has two police actions which will increase outrage by four but needs to be placed in a region with at least two smugglers/missionary. Removing missionaries will not break supply chains, but because missionaries are required to expand into adjacent regions it will make it more difficult in that regards. The other way to break supply chains is to participate in an opium war. British flags can be picked up from the conspiracy row to increase outrage by one. Unlike everything else from the conspiracy row, British flags go into your supply rather than immediately on the board. If an opium war triggers, whoever has the most British flags becomes the commander, takes the British flags from everyone else and becomes the commander. If there's a tie, there's joint commanders and if they fail to act together, this particular phase of the round is cancelled. For each British flag you use, you can either remove two bureaucrats and/or Qing forces from a region or if there's none left in a region, you can put a flag in that region and that region is now declared opened.

When you do that, you permanently remove a dice from the pool from the game, thus bringing China closer to instability. If there's no more dice in the pool, the game ends due to instability and whoever has the most things on the board is the winner, ties going to whoever has visited British high society the most, followed by whoever was first in turn order.

And of course that brings us to the final point. After the check has been made for war and whether war happens or not at the end of the round, the British high society phase happens. There's two or three face-down prizes to obtain each round depending on player count, and you can take a peek at one of them at the start of the round. After you pass as an action during the turns, you can choose to send a scion to high society to acquire notoriety. The value of your scion is equal to your income (capped at 0 and 7 for each extreme) and you can increase the value of your scion by decreasing your income. During the high society phase, the prizes are flipped and are taken in order based on the highest valued scion, with tie breakers going to whoever passed first. Most of them will gain VPs, but there are a few that are worth no VPs and two that are worth -1. Tie breakers for VPs at the end of the game are determined by the number of times you've visited high society, followed by whoever came first in turn order.

So yeah, that's why I think this game is fantastic. This ain't no engine builder, it's an engine annihilator.

(I also fucked up with the last round where I wasn't counting the outrage/Qing presence changes, but I knew it was going to end in China instability. Also, playing this while trying to be four players is fucking schizophrenic as hell)

I don't mind them because they're the best reviewer I've seen who are able to communicate a game's "feel."
They have a Rhino Hero written review with Leigh Alexander though, couldn't get through a quarter of it.

and after writing all of that I made a couple of fuckups, forgetting to put a Qing force in region A at setup (didn't make a difference during the game) and forgetting to write about how when ports are opened, the inner and outer sea areas are merged and smugglers in the inner sea are removed from the game. also, I intentionally left the scions there after replenishing the conspiracy row (but before replenishing the prizes) to show game progression. oh well

Played a game of Virgin Queen yesterday, now I've actually tried playing all Powers

We played the tournament game, and while it's pretty good at what it does, if you wanna play a VQ game in 5-6 hours, I feel like the campaign game is just way better. For instance, the English player was plagued by awful piracy die rolls (he got a single hit over the entire game), and he never really had time to rebound before the game was over; on the other, hand, Spain was the victor, partly because the dutch revolt just wasn't really effective (we had a player who was new at the game playing the Protestant), and the card which granted victory points for it came up two turns in a row.

I was the Holy Roman, and I wasn't doing terribly well either; I managed to keep the religious situation balanced, so I was constantly at a third or second place, but two horrible campaigns, one against Spain and another against the Ottomans, left me drained, even though I didn't lose anything by it.

Good game, but I wish we had had the time for the campaign scenario

I'm not liking this theme where you're spreading a very destructive drug to people. Aside, from that though, the game looks clean and seems like it's interesting to play.

nah, Space-Biff! does a far greater job at communicating the feel of a game than those clowns

I'd love to play Virgin Queen and Here I Stand, but it's hard enough rounding up people to play Imperial with, I can't imagine trying to find five other people to play either of those :(

understandable, it's definitely a historical theme that focuses on a very ugly past, though war can be just as ugly. since the game is abstracted enough you could always substitute opium for something else, like oranges. gives the game a more macabre humour when you think of the implications of wars happening over smuggling oranges

>Space-Biff!
Thanks for the rec, I don't actually know a lot of reviewers.

>I'd love to play Virgin Queen and Here I Stand, but it's hard enough rounding up people to play Imperial with, I can't imagine trying to find five other people to play either of those :(

It's kind of a thing you need to cultivate, finding people who are insane enough to dedicate a day (this game took about 5 hours, but the full game can easily hit 10-11) to playing a single game - usually by slowly easing them into it; you can start with some (relatively) light games like Commands and Colors or 13 Days, move into medium games like the COIN games or Twilight Struggle, and then finally pull out the big guns. There are loads of good 4 player games, like Pericles: The Pelopponesian Wars or Pax Romana, and I find these a lot easier to get to the table than 6 player behemoths like VQ

But man, when you finally get to play a campaign game of VQ with a full player count, it is absolutely amazing

I think I'd rather read through all of twilight than SU&SD written reviews

>understandable, it's definitely a historical theme that focuses on a very ugly past, though war can be just as ugly. since the game is abstracted enough you could always substitute opium for something else, like oranges. gives the game a more macabre humour when you think of the implications of wars happening over smuggling oranges

Next you'll tell me that 'The War of the Roses' wasn't about gardening...

>when you finally get to play a campaign game of VQ with a full player count, it is absolutely amazing

Soooo, now that GMT has shipped the Here I Stand 500th Anniversary Reprint Edition when will you be organizing a back-to-back HIS-VQ campaigns session!?

My first project is organizing a weekend game of Pax Romana, playing the Ultra-Historical scenario, all 10 turns, covering 250 years. It should take between 20 and 25 hours. I already have 2 compatriots who are enthusiastic about this project, so I just need one and it should be possible (after a bunch of planning, of course)

Once I've tried that I'll try the HIS-VQ back-to-back MegaDream

>The War of the Roses wasn't about gardening...
wait, it wasn't?

A relatively newcomer to the hobby, but I've tired of the first "real" board game I bought: Betrayal at House on the Hill.

As for why, three reasons mainly. The first is that some of the haunts can feel very one-sided (the toy airplane one comes to mind). The second is that the game usually has a winner decided long in advance of the end (usually at haunt reveal) and the game slowly circles the drain while everyone plays out their moves. Thirdly, a lot of the game feels like chance with very little agency once you know the haunts.

It's a shame because a few people in my group still love it but I'm reluctant to bring it out. Anyone else got an opinion on this one?

It's alright if you're just in for the ride, I'll play it with the right crowd but I would probably never suggest it.

What are you looking for in a game? If you're looking for something decently strategic and without (or with a minimum of) random chance, there are a bunch of good options

>Anyone else got an opinion on this one?

Oh ho ho. Ok, here we go. Betrayal is complete and utter dogshit. Complete Dog Shit. You get one free pass at playing it so you can truly experience skirting the depths of madness and insanity. A second time? You are instantly fucking shot for being a piss taking oxygen thief.

Is the tl;dr that we should back John company?

I feel exactly the same, but my group is mostly RPG players so getting them to play anything aside from DND 3.5 is a miracle

Holy shit, when I asked you about the game, I didn't expected this. And after reading it, well, I'm overwhelmed and interested at the same time. It's a shame the game seems to be not available anymore. Thanks anyway user. I'd definitely try to get one when it hits retail again.

bampu

Post awful games with great aesthetics

I didn't even think of the War of Roses when writing that, that would have been a much better joke

into the trash it goes, had to play that constantly at a group that used to meet weekly and it frustrated the shit out of me. I like some press-your-luck games like DungeonQuest, but Betrayal pushes that envelope to an absurd level

sure, though it was mainly to shill An Infamous Traffic since I have played that, and info about it is scarce. my copy of John Company is on the boat and I should be getting it in a few weeks

it's never been available at retail and is only directly available from the publisher (Hollandspiele) as they print on demand, making it a more pricier game than you'd normally expect unless you're big on hex-and-counter historical wargames. you can get a PnP from them for a much cheaper price, but it's watermarked. it's slightly frustrating that the counters on my copy aren't aligned properly, as two of the prize counters are marked and I haven't thought of an elegant way of fixing it yet. still, I like supporting small publishers and Cole's designer notes are some of the best that I've ever seen which show a great process of why decisions were made rather than just how, that inspires the board game designer in me

>slightly frustrating that the counters on my copy aren't aligned properly

Post pics. Also did you ask the publisher

Ok, why don't you start

Honestly, I'm kinda done with Dead of Winter. The Crossroads cards are kinda of interesting, but as other people have said in these threads the tone is kind of all over the place, and it goes on for a little longer than need be.

That said, I am kind of curious as to what the comics are like.

I think the only people who like DoW are people who have hard ons for zombies or people who have never played other traitor games

Indeed. I like Five Tribes. And I've got the slave cards so I can enjoy drinking the tears of SJWs while playing too.

Agreed, though I'd like to give the colony v colony game mode a shot sometime.

Anybody here played Vast? Played that once with a few mates and quite enjoyed it. Any other Asymmetrical gameplay games like it. Maybe a smidge more in depth?

Semi-coop games are cancer. Without some sort of external reward (e.g. points in a tournament for winning), there is no incentive to help the team if you can't fulfill your personal goals. As such, most semi-coops devolve into aimless play plagued by petty kingmaking. There really is no other descriptor that will make me lose interest in a game as fast as "semi-coop".

What about games like Battlestar Galactica? There are no individual goals.

My issue is the presence of personal goals that artificially prevent players from fully cooperating with each other. Battlestar Galactica is Humans v. Cylons, right? I wouldn't call that semi-coop. By the same token, any game with a hidden, static traitor is a semi-coop, and I don't mind these because every player has clearly defined goals from the start. But sure, if you'd like to call BSG a semi-coop, replace "semi-coop" with "co-operative games with additional individual goals" in .

On a related note, I'm not too fond of competitive games with a co-operative element either, because if you're losing, there's no incentive not to drag everyone else down with you. See: Magnates.

That all makes sense.

I found DoW to be too swingy. You're usually either boned from the word go or have a solid and clear path to victory. Been playing a lot of Betrayal lately; it seems to strike the perfect balance where even when you're screwed it doesn't feel inevitable, and rarely does a win come without some effort. It also doesn't seem to devolve into team strategizing followed by autoplay like Pandemic or some other pure co-ops that can be all but "solved".

>Been playing a lot of Betrayal lately; it seems to strike the perfect balance where even when you're screwed it doesn't feel inevitable
In what world do you come from where Betrayal is balanced? Half the haunts are incredibly difficult to win as the good guys and the rest are either a cakewalk or an hour-long rapefest depending on the layout.

I swear this entire post escaped from bizarro world. I'm no fan of dead of winter, but it does literally everything you listed way better than betrayal.

You should write sandnigger vertically on the empty spaces on the left and right side of the slave to make them extra tearful

Let's talk machi koro bright lights. I read this shit on boardgamegeek and everyone is too busy whining about the red cards and removing all negative cards from play to have a discussion about the airport.

Basically there is a nearly guaranteed path to victory: sit on one die until you get 30 coins, buy airport, do nothing and the income steamrolls you through the rest of the cheaper landmarks.

Anyone else have this experience?

I am thinking of houseruling the airport to require two or three other landmarks to be constructed first. I think making it last or requiring all landmarks in order is pretty stupid because like pulling red cards it just makes it a different game.

Thoughts?

>Thoughts?
You made the biggest mistake when you bought Machi Koro.

Is this really that good?

nah, shipping to Australia is a bitch so I didn't want to pester them as I figure it's better trying to fix it myself. the counters are made out of chipboard so cutting off the edges won't be easy, I'll have to try finding a fine point sharpie or something else. I'm at work so I'll post pics when I'm home

you've been missing out from the past few threads, we're afraid of vaginas

there's only one game that is worse than Betrayal and that is Machi Koro. don't just trash it like Betrayal, burn it so that nobody else has to suffer playing that hot garbage

Friends invited me to play Pandemic Legacy. How do I gently tell them to go fuck themselves in hell?

If they're really your friends you can tell them to fuck themselves in hell.

Oh shit. I don't browse Veeky Forums too much, just build my collection based on friends and the local groups. Brother got this as a present and had a bloody great time. Not the most in depth, but was pretty fun desu. Shame typical Veeky Forums shit gets in the way of that.

Literally didn't notice it as a feminist game at all. We just thought knight was a qt.
And thief is best role anyway

Joined a gaming society at my uni. Played more board games in a month than the rest of my life combined. Now I'm going to judge games on how enjoyable they've been:

>Betrayal
Fun at first but just a grind and no tea sense of horror or threat that you would expect. Too chance based.
>The Sheriff of Nottingham
Comfy fun, but not something I'd play often.
>Munchkin
Cringy autistic shit with bad art.
>Avalon
Great fun, creates some great moments among players
>Secret Hitler
Like Avalon but simpler. I prefer thus to Avalon. Lots of fun.
>Eldritch Horror
Snoozefest.
>Dead of Winter
Not bad but drags on. Doesn't feel the zombie survival itch. Becomes a chore due to the secret betrayer aspect.
>Stone Age
Comfy fun
>Battle for Tokyo (monster game?)
Nice art, boring game

>gayman society
>plays the normiest trash ever

>Secret Hitler
>not a steaming pile of dogshit
Welcome to the hobby. Don't worry, your tastes will become more refined with time.

same could be said for DoW now that I re read

> Is surprised that Uni students aren't playing TI3-65...
> Unironically uses the term 'Normie'...

Bravo user - closet style and in full denial. Way to out yourself at long last. Will your parents understand? And which Nickelback song is your personal anthem?

>le epic Nickelback is the devil maymay

Why is Five Tribes awful? I only hear good things about it

It's finally board game season again. What are some light-ish games with a similar theme to Alien Frontiers. Like games about colonizing a new planet, or new planets

Red Planet, if you're looking for something as light as Alien Frontiers.

Thanks I'll check that out, what about heavier games centered around colonization? I know I'm not averse to them but my group might be.

>it's another "baratheon gobbles up the south and east coast and the tyrells do nothing" episode

Opinions on this meme?

It's not - it's typical /bgg/ trolling bait. When they can't offer anything but "Waaahhh! Stop liking what I don't like!" you know you're dealing with a troll or a mental midget. Either way they're only go for poking with a point stick if you're *REALLY* bored and want to watch shit leaking out of a shit-bag.

Just saw this
Our meetup doesn't meet Fridays sorry

Edgy

Leder games(vast publisher) is currently kickstarting another asymmetrical game, Root. Scythe is assymetric as is terraforming mars

Chaos in the Old World.

Way to much god damn shuffling. Play the free APP instead.

I don't care if it has a digital version

Terraforming Mars is hardly asssymetrical at all.

>unironically recommending this
Hello, Eric M. Lang, LLC

I hate all of Lang's other games besides Bloodborne, which is merely serviceable.

Bloodborne is only serviceable if you know dick about the source material (like he does). CitOW is only good if you're new to board games and want something that railroads you into one strategy. Anyone who knows enough to like the GW theme is already too advanced to enjoy that game. There is always a correct and incorrect move, which is boring after playthrough 2.

Less asymmetric and more just special player powers. Asymmetric more implies that each side has their own mechanics that go against eachother on a connecting board. Special player powers is where you're all playing the same mechanics with a power that might just add some exceptions here and there.

Fuck you, Bloodborne was probably his worst design.

>worse than rising sun
Is that possible? Rising Sun has the same amount of mechanics as Cosmic Encounter but at twice the cost and half the interaction...

I haven't been forced to play rising sun yet, but I've played all his other shit and it's easily the worst, which is really saying something.

I must admit I'm an ENORMOUS BB fan, and I've heard people call it a moderately good Cutthroat Caverns.

Just fuck off you Eric Lang fanboy.

No no! Just keep telling him how much you love Lang's stuff. I wanna see the blood vessel in his forehead pop!

I'm so NOT cleaning the blood spray off the ceiling though...

rate my collection, nerds

>> Is surprised that Uni students aren't playing TI3-65...
Well, I am. If not at university, then where else would you play it? I can't imagine getting together a group of six normal people with jobs to play that thing.

>paying for Skull
>buying Exploding Kittens
President Trump would be sad you're not investing wisely

Only spotted 1.5 good games in there. Not too bad for an ameritrash aficionado, I expected zero.

Just played this 2 players, will get to try other playercounts later. I really really liked it. Nothing random and a lot to think about every turn. I really liked it 2 player, I think my opponent just wanted to see it with a higher player count. At 4 it looks like you'll be struggling to compete for space in general, let alone space that isn't covered in shade. At 2 players though it has the awkwardness of double tapping because you always pass the first player token so it's always my turn then your turn, then your turn then my turn, then my turn... ect. Definitely changes how you play knowing you're taking your turn and then you're going to get paid and it'll be your turn again.

Can't say definitively if it holds up strong under repeat plays, but it seems to have some really interesting strategies of between keeping your trees up to get money, harvesting them early for the highest point total tokens and to free up more level 3s for growing because you only get 2 but level 3 trees are expensive to buy let alone plant so you really want the economy and how if you chop all your trees down the other player is going unopposed as to claiming the land themselves. It's a ridiculously interactive game which I wasn't really expecting as far as really meanly denying space.

It looks beautiful for sure but I'm somewhat hesitant for the reason you mentioned: replayability.

Man, this is one of my dream games. It's almost impossible to find two people who likes these kind of games much less six people in where I live. I preordered Here I Stand 500th anniversary edition only to put it on the shelve and watch. fml...

>1.5
Kemet, Istanbul, TM, TS, and Quantum makes 5.

IFYB

At this point I'm not worried about replayability. It seems to have some real depth to go with it's non random mechanics, but I definitely will hold off speaking solidly on that before I get some more plays in. Will post again when I have 5 plays under my belt.

Has anyone here designed their own board game before? I've started trying to flesh out an idea of mine and I feel like I've got a number of solid ideas for mechanics and gameplay. I'm mostly curious as to the organizational planning. If I want to start transferring my notes into a real framework and ruleset, what is a good way to do that? What's the "story board" equivalent for boardgames?

The only games there I'd be interested in playing with you are Kemet, Yamatai, T&E, Tash-Kalar, and Neuroshima

I hope you get to play them; those are some damn fine games

Have you heard of game design General? There was some blog or site that was talking about board game design, might try googling see if it comes up.

ye my bad, posted in the wrong thread.