Which universe would suck the least getting teleported in to: D&D or Shadowrun?

Which universe would suck the least getting teleported in to: D&D or Shadowrun?

D&D standard would fucking suck because of how structured it is. Monsters, alignment, war, chaos, gods.

Shadowrun... eh. Not the worst. Shadowrun is familiar.

idk, dropping into shadowrun SINless, without a single nuyen to your name or experience with cybernetics and magic sounds like a fast way to end up homeless and dead.

atleast in a generic D&D setting I might have a chance to put my my proficiency in bows, hatchets, throwing knives and short swords to use as part of a town militia or something like that.

>universe
>D&D
Are we talking Planescape? Faerûn? Ravenloft?

Anyway it's not necessarily bad, just be good as there is an objective morality and die in poverty, then enjoy eternity in a literal paradise that everyone already knows about and there's no reason (outside of madness or shortsightedness) not to aim for.

If I dropped into Shadowrun I'd be able to bring the fact of my origin to the attention of people in-setting who would probably be veeery interested. And it could likely be confirmed. I'd expect to be at least lightly taken care of.

D&D? My experience doesn't fucking matter. I'd be dead before I managed to do jack shit. Via any of a million different ways.

If you have to ask that question, you really have no idea how shitty Shadowrun is.

In D&D you're almost guaranteed an afterlife, and with a bit of training and some work you could become an adventurer and big damn hero. Plus at the very least people always need farmhands.

Ending up in Shadowrun, SINless, and with a mid 2010's level understanding of science and technology? You'd be Ghoul food within the week.

>and with a mid 2010's level understanding of science and technology?
A lot of people in the Shadowrun universe don't even have that, though.

I mean, shit. A person who has read through anything relating to the setting would probably be able to bullshit an understanding of even the more obscure shit.

You end up in D&D? Congrats. 99.9% chance you die within 5 minutes. Afterlife? Great. You didn't believe in a god of the world's pantheon, though. Sorry. Or you subscribed to the wrong alignment. Or a necromancer rips your soul into an eternity of pain to make her bone vibrator rattle. Enjoy.

Depends. If I got teleported to D&D my skills would probably be useless and I'll end up being a farmer or some shit, unless I have the chance to put my lore and knowledge to use, get into wizard school and then win at life.
In Shadowrun I'll probably find something to do and I won't feel out of place politically, but I'm going to die at the hands of the first thug who wants to mug me.
So it all boils down to being able to what I can learn to do *after* teleporting.

>99.9% chance you die within 5 minutes
Fascinating how the world's population manages to procreate a new generation every 300 seconds or so.

Let me put it like this. Shadowrun? Yes, magical wildlife and spooky shit is a concern. But cities are all generally unified. So long as you can reach a population center, you'd be able to find some degree of help.

D&D? You spawn in the wilder-annnd you're dead. You go up to an encampment. It's or---annd you're dead. You go into a church to seek ai- and they're Evil-aligned, you're raped, vivisected alive, and sacrificed.

Like, we need to make this very clear. I'm assuming you're a bare-ass peasant being tossed into a setting. You aren't a fully-equipped PC. You're sub-level-1. Being teleported on land is a fucking blessing as it stands.

There are many D&D settings and many, many locations within D&D settings. Where, exactly, are you ending up?
Because it'd be pretty freaking great to show up in the Blessed Fields of Elysium and enjoy heaven until the end of time. Likewise it'd be pretty awful to end up in any of the lower planes and it'd be stressful as heck to show up in the law or chaos planes.
As far as material planes go, Oerth and Abeir-Toril and Krynn are perfectly fine if you end up in a civilized area, but if you were to show up in, say, Ravenloft or Athas you might be pretty shit out of luck. Or you appear in a dragon's den. Showing up in Sigil might be one of the most confusing and hectic experiences of your life.
Or you can just end up in the Elemental Plane of Fire and burn to death. Seriously, it's a big multiverse.

>Warped to DnD
>Just take the first job clearing shit rat kobolds or goblins
>This will quickly lead to great power and fortune

D&D isn't warhamer. 99% of shit is just cozy terrain/landmasses anyways. Pretty easy to make your way around and familiarize yourself, as long as assumingly you spoke common.

Are there even any rules on monsters attacking random villages? No? Then it doesn't exist. What exists is what the stories and adventures prepare for. There are thousands of villages and hamlets who know nothing about the darker reaches of the world.

>my skills would probably be useless and I'll end up being a farmer or some shit
Realistically you couldn't even be that, farming manually is very knowledge intensive.

You'd be screwed either way, in Shadowrun you'd be John Crichton, barely able to open doors and with weird-ass brain-computer trolls gibbering at you about SINs. In D&D you'd be the fucking farmscrub who can't even into milking and who gets your carrots destroyed by pests.

>in Shadowrun you'd be John Crichton, barely able to open doors and with weird-ass brain-computer trolls gibbering at you about SINs
No, you wouldn't. You're vastly misunderstanding things. Not everyone in Shadowrun has things like datajacks. The minority have them. It isn't like Eclipse Phase. Eclipse Phase would be like you describe. Shadowrun... you're just some weird dude.

I mean, a realistic scenario in Shadowrun is you drop in out of nowhere and something happens like a spirit takes pity on you and you start down the path of shamanism. It's legit a thing that could happen. Congrats. You have a marketable skill and a friend in the world. So long as they don't buzz, you're gonna be okay.

In Shadowrun you wouldn't be able to get a good job, buy anywhere nice to live and wouldn't have a damn clue what was going on, you may be able to be a fry cook or similar but you'd be lacking the equivalent of a secondary school education for working at a corp. You also wouldn't have any idea what was going on around you given that culture and language seem radically different, you'd just be a hopeless case, able to survive maybe but certainly not comfortably, hell you wouldn't be able to operate any of the computers around you without spending time learning how.

Dude, I live in buttfuck, nowhere, there's fields for miles and miles around my home. Picking up apples or potatoes is not knowledge intensive. I won't be the head of the farm, I'd be a shitty unskilled laborer, but at least it's a way to provide for oneself.
Being able to get PC options tho is the real turning point.

I would do what I would need to do. I have little doubt I could figure out the Shadowrun world.

I hope you have the skills to kill a pack of kobolds that the local guards need to hire help for. You know, the part time, trained, outfitted fighters who grew up in a world of monsters.

I'm sure you can handle it.

Shadowrun, because it's an established setting

When you ask questions like this you always get the edgy fucks who think they could survive anything. Reminds me of that Veeky Forumsfag in that X card thread who thought knowing history warded you off against personal trauma.

You fucks do know you're not actually secret super men who only need a chance to prove themselves, right?

Which would suck the least?

Shadowrun.

Two words: indoor plumbing.

>suck the least
>survive anything
I think you're confused.

Arriving in a dystopia of any sort with no money or social connections would fuck you entirely. Shadowrun is a terrible idea.

DnD isn't a universe. Some DnD settings are also dystopias; you'd be dying of thirst or begging for water tokens if you landed in Dark Sun. Even the less grim DnD settings have bad places in them. Nonetheless, you'd probably have a better time in most of them. In any setting with gnomes, you might do quite well. "I've been teleported here from a distant world, look at all these things I know about that you can reverse engineer" could land you a comfortable life covered in shortstacks, if that's your thing.

>In any setting with gnomes, you might do quite well. "I've been teleported here from a distant world, look at all these things I know about that you can reverse engineer"
I think you overestimate how useful an end-user description of technology is in reverse engineering.

Sure, for most complicated stuff you're not going to be much help. "We have these magic... well, not magic... they're called computers and they display pictures and think about stuff."

But I can still think of a lot of low hanging fruit that you could grab just by pointing out that something is possible to the right person.

"Hey, you know that you could send a message from one side of the empire to the other in minutes? Get me two coloured flags and I'll show you how it works."

"Hey, did you know that you can cure almost every disease by harvesting something that grows on moldy bread?"

"Hey, do you know what charcoal, saltpetre and sulphur are? No reason, just asking."

You don't need to know the details, you just need to inspire someone who might have been able to do it on their own. It's a lot easier to be the second guy to build a working plane than the first.

Someone should post the screencap of the ordinary boring human who falls into the Underdark and becomes a great "inventor" in Drow society. They can't pronounce his name so it ends up as G'reg Jhonn'z or something.

I am very disturbed that it took this long for someone to bring this up