EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previous Thread: >Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
How do you pick your commanders and how do you imagine your play group picks theirs?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/queen-of-eating-ass/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/whups-big-creatures/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tani-what
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/oloro-control-and-combo/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kalemne-sitter-of-faces/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I choose my commanders based on color combination and mechanics- and if I can see a playstyle for them.

How do you get good at making decks? I'm cancer

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/queen-of-eating-ass/

I feel like none of my decks really do well when I'm playing in my small casual group.

>How do you pick your commanders and how do you imagine your play group picks theirs?
generally by how interesting i think the commander is but unfortunately a lot of my decks revolve heavily around my commander so my group end up killing it a lot and fucking my start up

generally my group picks legends based on color and tribe cause they are timmys

Is Teeg a good stax/nofunallowed general?

Just a quick note about my deck: I intentionally gimped it to not overpower my meta too much. It could be a lot more aggressive and powerful with better wincons and combos, but I elected to just make it like a weird value/control deck in BUG colors

Yeah, I'm not really looking into combos, just a weird kind of value deck.

yes

has mana vault always been a $15 card?

You get better at making decks by understanding the basic skeleton that lies beneath most effective decks. Once you have a grip on that, 50% of your deck fills on autopilot according to budget and commander, and another 20% fills in from a set of fairly small pools. Of the remaining 30 cards, a good number of them are "Muscle" cards for which you'll generally understand the sorts of effects you want even if the pool for those is large, and only a few represent "Skin" -- totally free choices that will, ultimately, color the deck as you see fit.

Once you understand the basic deck skeleton, you'll find that it can be morphed or tinkered with. A Stax deck probably has a different skeleton than a heavy beatdown deck, for instance, and some commanders like Ruric Thar or Gitrog can really tilt everything.

I'm not saying you need to abandon creativity. There's still a ton of room in an EDH deck to be creative, even unique. But you need to understand why staples are staples and where and how to use them. Once you do, the problem that is the deck becomes much more concise and easily solved.

its getting reprinted which kinda sucks cause now its cheap enough for everyone to have in thier EDH decks. guess that means my kess storm deck can finally become a thing though

here.

I usually start by finding a commander, piling up a bunch of goodstuff and mana rocks I have laying about that synergize with them, then cut from there until I have about 60 cards. Then, I add however many lands in the commander's colors I need until they get to 100 cards including the commander.

Then I look up online what sort of things other people are running in decks for that commander and try to see how that works in their deck. sometimes it's easy, sometimes it isn't.

The only one I didn't build this way was the mad science deck, due to its unique requirements.

Oh, and Triad, because it was my first deck.

its being reprinted again, funny though cause only the old art is cheap

reprinted where? link?

A good way to start building is to divide your deck's cards in categories. In your case with Marchesa, your categories should look something like this, and put 10-12 cards in each category

>ramp, mostly 2 mana rocks and stuff to help you get a turn 3 marchesa
>draw spells like night's whisper and phyrexian arena and so on
>answers to board states (board wipes, spot removal)

then you can add your token synergies or pillow forting or whatever you intend to do. you should decide what the deck wants to do, and then make additions and cuts. if you want to do tokens, then add token generation and token synergies until you have about 20-25 of them, then fill out the rest of the deck with whatever. same with pillowforting and taxing.

>has mana vault always been a $15 card?
I think I bought one for $5 or $8 a couple years ago.

in iconic masters i think

>

Repost because I'd like to read others opinions

>How do you pick your commanders and how do you imagine your play group picks theirs?

Well for me it's easy, I really love dragons and collect them, but I also like strange mechanics, this is why I have both Marchesa; for my friends, some like flavour other like broken cards

Still salty that a friend of mine "accidentally" spilled a mug of tea on some cards of mine.
This giy suprisingly survived, despite being soaked.
Became known as "The Teag" in my playgroup after that.

What are some spicy cards i can put into a creatureless mogis enchantment deck?

Nope, not in there. Provide source or you're full of shit.

I think they have it confused with Mana Drain.

Did he reimburse you at least?

I've never played with or against Mogis, but here's a few that might fit:
Lethal Vapors, Tainted Aether, Spreading Plague, Witch Hunt, Everlasting Torment, Pyrohemia, Pestilence, Uba Mask, Scrambleverse

What's a typical wincon for Teeg?

Rate my Waifu Commander

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/whups-big-creatures/

Making the game unplayable for everyone else. Alternatively, any Big Green/White/Colorless critter spam coupled with cheap ramp and ramplands.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tani-what

Should I be running clock of omens to break parity more often on static/winter orb? I feel like I'm mana and card draw lite too, any suggestions /edh/?

was confusing mana vault and mana crypt and eternal masters and iconic. in short, im dumb today

tis the season

what one-off meme deck should i build for my all hallow's eve?

I honestly have no idea what goes into stasis decks, but maybe look at Kami of the Crescent Moon on EDHrec? I played against it once and it fucked our shit up

demons

>tapped out doesn't automatically add sol ring to your deck when you select commander.
But why tho?

>But why tho?
You're running Azorius Anti-Artifice GAAVI with Kataki and pic related.

Any Double Damage enchantments, like Gratuitous Violence and Dictate of the Twin Gods. Havoc Festival is also a fun one. Underworld Dreams, Spiteful Visions, Possibility Storm, Torment of Hailfire. You have chosen the path of the Mogis player, you have to accept that everyone despises you more than Hitler and need to revel in that fact.

>You have chosen the path of the Mogis player, you have to accept that everyone despises you more than Hitler and need to revel in that fact.
im already known for being an asshole in my play group so thats cool with me, thanks for the suggestions

ooo most of those are going in

Rain of Gore, Tainted Remedy, and Pain Magnification are some of my recommendations pulled from my RB Minotaur Tribal.

is something wrong with tapped out? its not adding up the price of cards im entering into my deck and the TCG mass entry link isnt adding all the cards in my deck

are there alternatives for locking opponents down than destroying lands in jhoira? something like etb creatures or winter orb? i ask because my store has a soft ban on mld and blood moon.

Sunder
:^)

Zedruu player here, make statements about the likely characteristics of my personality.

your play group probably secretly hates you because you play chaos fag shit when everyone else wants to play magic

Attentionwhore

>my store has a soft ban on mld and blood moon

holy fuck, ditch those fucking casuls. thats the only major control cards red has. tell them to fuck off to their "dont touch muh lands" safespace.

I run the thing in Ruric because cycling it doesn't trigger him.

The cycling is especially great because you can stack it on top of cracking a fetch or casting a Cultivate or whatever

I have been going over my control deck over and over and over. Fucking sick of looking at this thing. There's probably too many attempts to have counters, wipes, spot removal, and other control pieces but I don't know what to change.

I don't have enough instant speed draw to make it a counter heavy deck but did it anyway. Spot removal is kinda inefficient so I lowered those and increased the other categories. Maybe more permanents that give constant advantage? But I don't want to make prison/stax. A bunch of my wipes even remove all nonland permanents which helps me tremendously and screws the artifact and enchantment heavy decks in my meta.

Don't know if it needs more ramp, more recursion, less draw, or what. Too much shit to keep track of. Back before we had a GY problem in my meta this wasn't an issue. My thinking is that counters are kind of a catch all. As long as I have them they can work against almost any strategy and there are plenty of wipes for when I don't get to counter.

If anyone wants to take a look, you'd be doing me a favor. I know that the landbase is bad (wish I could do this with just two colors) and that I have less than ideal versions of wipe sand stuff but we play semi casually.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/oloro-control-and-combo/

"soft ban" meaning i'm allowed to play the deck, but i give up some prize packs to the people hit by my bullshit

those are some good ones

>bloodmoon
do i want to be that guy?

You're playing Mogis Enchantress, you're already deep into that guy territory.

>he plays EDH for prizes
What are you, some kinda faggot?

is it me or is mogis absolutely shit in edh? Opponents already start with higher life total and on top of that any lifegain or tokens based strategy laughs in his face and on top of that he has around the table effect so those who care about his effect might very easily feel like focusing you.
I never tried him, but is my impression true?

you are right

yes pretty much, but people don't really run him to win games. his flavor is on-point for a rakdos commander, which is basically the best thing about him

He does nothing until you notice you're fucking dying and then it's too late.

He is pretty good. The problem is that if you don't lock down the board early you will get hated out.

went up against a mogis deck that only played enchantments once, can confirm

is daru spiritualist a meme in ayli?

Its one of those decks you constantly have to focus on and not let get going or else you are just fucked.

Show me you're meme decks, you fuckers.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kalemne-sitter-of-faces/

It's been a long time since I've seen Cheetus

You've already got some decent advice, but I want to add something I think is incredibly important.

Create a mission statement. Seriously. A single sentence that you can put on a notecard and look at during all points in deck building. Every card you consider should work towards that mission statement in some way.

>>Create a mission statement. Seriously. A single sentence that you can put on a notecard and look at during all points in deck building. Every card you consider should work towards that mission statement in some way.
I already run tokens with my Sidisi deck, so I'm looking for different angles for Marchesa. Excluding behind, what's a good angle to go for? Or is Marchesa exclusively for tokens, really? This is supposed to be like my third deck, but also one my gf can use.

5 color Zada
Gwafa Hyper Politics complete with autistically persistent roleplaying as a helpful merchant trying to make some dosh
Chris Parnell's faggot ass Rick and Morty deck
Saskia "lemme teach you how to be conservative" , runs a few group hug ways to accelerate the table in lands and permanents only, then plays things like mana barbs + citadel of pain to punish their greed while you run ways to avoid it like Tamanoa and personal sanctuary.
Zurgo Bellstriker turbo aggro ft. The red myojin and Blazing shoal
Patron of the Moon turbolands + sunder
Norin, king of memes
Talrand + 60 counters and a side of sea salt
There, some memes.

Also would this card but good in Marchesa, to find the Sunscorcher, or whatever else I've got in my hand?

Your question is answering itself, so yeah. Only thing I'd take note of is how many RW instants I could take advantage of.

>Thread Question
For me, some of them came about from wanting to play a certain color combination (Gruul led to Xenagos, WUBRG led to Scion of the Ur-Dragon who later became The Ur-Dragon). Others came about by wanting to play a certain card (Aetherflux Reservoir led to Sydri, Villainous Wealth led to Mimeoplasm). Finally, I built Gishath because Dinosaur memes were too good to pass up.

Anyone? Could use a hand

How do I get fast mana in B/W?

You're better off slowing everyone else down.

No Rhystic Study or Mystic Remora?
Run Baral if you love counter spells so much.
Phyrexian Arena is cheap as fuck right now.
Necropotence is lovely on this kind of deck, grab urborg (Planar Chaos one), Greed fucking sucks.
Instead of Skeletal Scrying run the converge based draw.

Hour of Revelation is neat.

Weathered Wayfarer for Cabal Coffers + Urborg/Serra's Sanctum

As far as I can tell, what your deck needs more of is alternate win conditions. Lab Man is a good start, but you need more paths to victory. My recommendations?

Approach of the Second Sun
Azor's Elocutors
Felidar Sovereign
Test of Endurance

Rocks.
Cabal Coffers and Urborg.

The hell is this?!

I had it with 3 in the past, was told there were too many.

Yeah that would be great, thanks.

No, don't have those. Far as I know Rhystic is a little costly and it's fairly casual. Baral would't work well with my low/no permanents plan. I clean the board a lot.
Definitely need an arena and god almighty does Greed suck. Not even a good mana sink. I usually play it and get like two cards from it all game. Usually it's used to end the game after Lab shows up and Demonic Consultation exiles my library.

Converge based draw?

Yeah, its Painful Truths, it draws and makes you lose life according to how many colors you spent, giving you options. Study isn't that expensive, its like seven bucks or so. Remora is magical because if there's anyone else playing combo or some shit like that, you'll draw into a fuckton of responses.
Wanna win with lab man? Doomsday is your guy, you're playing oloro for fucks sake, losing life won't do shit. Run some signets too, your colored ramp is somewhat lackluster. Tainted lands, old fetches with Tangolands are great.

I just cut the signets and other ramp for artifacts that would give land instead of sticking around. Again because of the nonland permanent removal.

By the way, I notice a severe lack of cyclonic rift in your deck.

Anyone have an idea how one would build a semi-competitive Brago deck?

Stax elements are fine but I don't want to go full Stax with him.

Reaper King. Spooky pumpkin-headed-scarecrow in 5-colors allowing for the full range of potential flavorful cards.

So do I. Never realized how good it was until I played a friend's deck and it made all the difference in the world two games in a row.

I think pouring over these is a waste. These are my best cards, I just need to get new ones. The amounts in each category seem find

These are always so lame or ugly.

I like him as a clone army deck, also like it when I land Mirror Gallery and the clones get to stay and play instead of exploding.

1. Rocks
2. White Plains-getting 'catch up' effects
3. Black Swamp mana multipliers + Urbog

land tax

is it normal for xmage to have the wrong images for old cards or did i fuck up somewhere?

Why is everyone so obsessed with running signets? Even in Green? Wtf.

they're nice and have synergy with incidental artifact shennans

yeah thats a common bug, like some 5ed (?) forests are showing up 8ed mountains.

>xmage, cockatrice
get the fuck out you netdeckers!

>paying for cards
>going to a LGS to sit with the fat greasy autists to play this game

>being poor
>not having froends

They're a CMC 2 mana rock which filters, with the downside of incomplete control over the colours generated.
They're pretty fucking good.

Is Tappedout still slow and buggy for everyone else? It's been about 4 days now.

>going to a LGS to sit with the fat greasy autists to play this game
Who the fuck does this?

>walking stereotypes at LGS
>froends

No.