What's the worst official setting you've ever seen?

What's the worst official setting you've ever seen?
Bonus points if you've actually played it.

>What's the worst official setting you've ever seen?

Age of Sigmar

>What's the most mediocre mainstream setting you've ever seen?

If you think Forgotten Realms is the worst, you really haven't delved into RPGs beyond the surface level.

DnD
its like United States but fantasy. Warhammer fantasy is so much more comfy and superior

Whatever fucking trash Paizo sets their game in. I played one game of Runelords, i believe

My gripe is the way it wants to be everything and therefore becomes nothing. It's "yeah we're quaint pagan village fantasy" "we're also crusades and castles" "oh wait we're ancient grecorome mythology land too" "ah don't forget that we're renaissance Mediterranean if you want that" "oh and fucking steampunk"

It would be ok if there were any effort at all to tie this pseudofantasy bullshit together but there isn't. It's just a nonsensical plate of tropes designed to generate max cash by allowing its players to buy modules from any/all fantasy eras without having to change their game. Just sail your boat to a new city and use your existing character to play through our newest shitty fucking book.

You're retarded.

"D&D" isn't a setting. Greyahwk is a setting. Forgotten Realms is a setting. Dark Sun is a setting. Eberron is a setting. Mystara is a setting. "D&D" is not a setting. We get it, you hate black people in fantasy but at least try to sound like you know what the fuck you're talking about before you start bitching.

Except all those things are all n different areas.

That's like saying the real world is shit because medieval Britain was different than India at the same time? I'm not saying Golarion is good, but that's a retarded reason to complain about it.

Dragonlance, maybe. The setting that gave us Kender and has a god of paladins called Paladine.

That being said if you actually read the shit, it actually is all tied together.

go back to гeddit

For what? Knowing what I'm talking about? Do you bitch when you go to a restaurant ask for a coke and get mad because you meant fucking sprite?

My problem with Golarion is that it just feels like a themepark. Here's Egyptland, over there is Pirateland, go up the road to Vikingland. The nations feel more like WoW zones than actual places.

why did he start sperging about blacks autist?

this

yeah but those have stayed obscure. all the famous/relevant settings are at least one step up from FR, including 40K.

>it resembles fantasy united states
I have never seen this used as a code for anything other than "REEE NIGGERS IN MUH DEE UN DEE"

Go back to /v/.

So what's worse.

Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms.

its more about how races work in most dnd settings, its very unrealistic for medieval setting. I know dark fantasy is edgy, but berserk or witcher would be a much better example

You are the problem, user.

He said "official"

you have some insecurities user

>its more about how races work in most dnd settings, its very unrealistic for medieval setting.
Good thing D&D has never really tried to be either realistic or medieval. It's always been a gonzo homebody of shit from different eras and mythologies and functions best when you allow it to act that way. It's fine if you don't like it, but disliking on the grounds of it not being realistic or accurate to the history of IRL medieval europe seems inane when it never tried to be that way in the first place.

Mouse Guard.

When it was pitched to me I thought it was set in the real world and the mice all lived in/used the smaller detritus of human civilization. Thimbles for hats, sewing needles for rapiers, coins for breastplates etc.. The idea of these little creatures trying to be heroic with all this cobbled together junk was endearing.

Turns out it's just an extremely bland medieval setting with all the humans pallette swapped with mice and all the mountain lions pallette swapped with weasels etc.

It gave our group a saying we still use when a party has so many snowflakes that their special hooks aren't special or interesting any more; "If everyone's a mouse, no one's a mouse."

Yet area is not enough to justify powerful empires existing at simultaneous levels of development with no attention paid to major global politics. Note that as soon as the Renaissance began Europeans exploded across the globe and toppled power structures across the entire S.American continent almost overnight. You can justify the reason that magitek steampunk BS isn't ruling everything everywhere, but they don't even try. That's all I want, something that has effort in it and Golarion just comes off as lazy.

is also right. They have fake China, fake Arabia. It's just cut-n-paste, no attention paid to realistic dynamics. Where are Golarion's Turks, originally mongoloids that came fron west china to then mix with Balkans, Greeks and Romans, spreading their language but adopting an Arabic religion? Golarion likes to say "this is what is" without feeling like it needs ti explain. It isnt a convincing world

aww I was looking forward to trying mouse guard.

That's shitty.

Well, I gotta post this

I prefer logic, not realism, these are two different things. Berserk is not realistic at all, the main hero is unrealistic at all, but the setting is logical.
The way cultures work in most DnD setting is cringe due to its target audience of fat self-inserting neckbeards from United States, carrying some cultural aspects of such group into tabletop gaming as whole, you can't deny it

Yes and there are far worse official settings out there, just for smaller games.

>You can justify the reason that magitek steampunk BS isn't ruling everything everywhere, but they don't even try.
They do actually. Technic League of Numeria will give anyone who tries to take sci-tech out of the region a free helicopter ride and Steampunk Gun Land is a dead magic zone between two warring god wizards that will zap their shit if they get out of line.

Cheliax is colonizing much of the southern continents. Quadria wars with Taldor. Etc.
>s. Where are Golarion's Turks, originally mongoloids that came fron west china to then mix with Balkans, Greeks and Romans, spreading their language but adopting an Arabic religion?
The Thassilonians are the closest you're going to get. Also the Monk class. Tien people came from across the world all the way to Taldor spreading Iori worship and monastic tradition.I'm not saying it's good or realistic but I feel like you're expecting far too much out of most setting considering shit like Warhammer has the same problem.

>ITT; URR HURR POPULAR THING IS BAD LOOK AT MUH SUPERIOR TAYSTE!!

>The way cultures work in most DnD setting is cringe due to its target audience of fat self-inserting neckbeards from United States, carrying some cultural aspects of such group into tabletop gaming as whole, you can't deny it
Because I don't know what the fuck you're saying. You're not making points your spamming buzzwords. Give examples. Explain yourself instead of saying "it's bad because it's bad".

How the fuck is Berserk "more logical" than let's say Dark Sun?

>Technic League of Numeria will give anyone who tries to take sci-tech out of the region a free helicopter ride and Steampunk Gun Land is a dead magic zone between two warring god wizards that will zap their shit if they get out of line.
Okay, and how did they become omniscient?

Masaharpa, fucking BOOOORING, only redeemable aspect are the clans.

Tieflings are cringe, dwarfs are cringe, elfs are cringe, everything in most DnD systems is executed badly. Stereotypes go against common sense, so you either larp as special snowflake or stick to stereotype. I am not critisizing some perfect version of setting in your head, I am just describing real life situation. Lets say rick and morty is good, which it isn't, but rick and morty as phenomenon would still be bad due to its audience

What part of "god wizard" did you not understand?

If you're referring to Numeria, they aren't. But they're very good. And considering technology in the setting requires colossal artifacts that only exist in Numeria in the first place in order to be produced/powered, it's not even a big deal if a crappy laser pistol leaves the land anyway.

>, I am just describing real life situation
You're describing a real life situation with elves and tieflings?
>Tieflings are cringe, dwarfs are cringe, elfs are cringe, everything in most DnD systems is executed badly.
It sounds like you you just don't like high fantasy, it's fine.
>n. Lets say rick and morty is good, which it isn't, but rick and morty as phenomenon would still be bad due to its audience
>bad because of it's audience
>the measure of my enjoyment of media is derived from those who also enjoy it as opposed to my own opinion of it
Are you a woman?

>What part of "god wizard" did you not understand?
I know wizards in Pathfinder are powerful but I'm pretty sure there isn't a spell that tells you anytime someone tries to leave a country with a technology, schematics for that technology or even knowledge of how that technology works.

>don't just say it's bad because it's bad
>cinge cringe cringe cringe snowflake stereotype
One job.

>It sounds like you you just don't like high fantasy, it's fine.
I like fantasy warhammer
Everything else you said is either autism or straw man

>but I'm pretty sure there isn't a spell that tells you anytime someone tries to leave a country with a technology, schematics for that technology or even knowledge of how that technology works.
See
> considering technology in the setting requires colossal artifacts that only exist in Numeria in the first place in order to be produced/powered,
Even if they did have schematics(which don't exist for most tech items) they couldn't do anything with it as no one knows how to produce the tools necessary to create such objects. Only how to work with them. And the tools are colossal underground artifacts that you can't move.

Since when are this many faggots on tg?

Go back because you think you know what you're talking about, like people on reddit. And your analogy is retarded.

>ood thing D&D has never really tried to be either realistic or medieval
user, please stop

Warhammer fantasy is pretty much the same shit as Forgotten Realms, just scaled down a little.

Why are Warhammer Elves better than Elves in Eberron or Forgotten Realms?

I'm talking about the stuff from Steampunk Gun Land, which doesn't require a reactor.

>user, please stop
Why don't you educate yourself, retard. I must of have missed that part of history classs where the knights did battle with saber tooth tiger riding cavemen in the mountains.

>Samefagging

Or that stuff is actually spreading around. No one really gives a shit if that spreads, but since guns are worse than bows in terms of functionality, cost, and the training necessary not a lot of people employ them. The Taldan army comissioned a giant bombard from them for example.

Basically, they don't really spread because their isn't much need for them outside of intimidation because the rest of the world isn't in a Dead Magic zone.

Malekith and forest elves are really cool. The plot itself is more interesting than these tryhard overwritten settings

Terrible bait
Here's your (you) now leave

>they're cool and the others are tryhard is the extent of your explanation.
It's fine to have preferences dude, but you have an IQ in the double digits.

Gonna sensibly invest those bonus points so I can retire earlier.

40k would be fine as a comical setting as was originally intended, but somehow it's been taken over by people who take all that retardation absolutely seriously.

>Why don't you educate yourself
Where have I heard that rhetoric before

>I must of have missed that part of history classs where the knights did battle with saber tooth tiger riding cavemen in the mountains.

First literally in that link you posted majority of the pictures fucking depict medieval europe with the outlier being "the savage mountains"
Pretending that DnD wasn't based heavily medieval Europe is essentially historical revisionism. It's called DUNGEONS and DRAGONS for fucks suck.

And second, in a fictional setting you of course aren't going to be 100% historically accurate, but being realistic is about being believable and internally consistent. Some setting about medieval europe with a bunch of black people, women in the army, knights wielding katanas, equality, and eastern inspired towns isn't a believable medieval european setting. If I had a japanese setting, there shouldn't be a bunch of vikings or muslims running around sacking villages, people wielding straight swords, or operating like a European setting. That's the point of basing your setting on a real life civ. If you aren't doing that then you're just taking the aesthetics of a civ.

>but it's fantasy and I can do whatever I want
Even in fantasy your setting has to be internally consistent. A person can suspend their disbelief for shit like dragons because you have to, but that doesn't mean you have free rein to make your setting illogical. You need go reasons for why things are the way they are, just going "it's fantasy" is lazy as fuck. If you want to put a bunch of niggers in some northern European town, you at least need to have a reasons that makes sense. Like the town is a trade hub and these travelers settled here, or Apollo's sun lost control of the chariot and flew to close and burned their skin. Using "lol you're just a raysist who hate blacks" as a pathetic attempt for a shitting "progressive" setting is the most inane shit I've seen.

>k. If you want to put a bunch of niggers in some northern European town, you at least need to have a reasons that makes sense. Like the town is a trade hub and these travelers settled here
Most D&D settings do this though.
>> you aren't doing that then you're just taking the aesthetics of a civ.
Which is precisely what D&D fucking does. It's a sliding scale, but D&D especially more modern editions and examples pretty much just have the aesthetic of a civ. That's where it ends for the most part.

Yeah, I was under the impression it was basically the unofficial Redwall TTRPG

Pre-D&D was Chainmail, literally a simulation for combat in medieval western europe. D&D grew out of smaller Chainmail parties and scenarios involving fortress raids. So if you really want to call upon OD&D, it explicitly is feudal western european.

What ever the GLOG setting is called

>Most D&D settings do this though.
They don't they, usually just have it "black people have just always been here" and when it is tradesmen they have it so it's like 50% or greater black.

>which is precisely what D&D fucking does. It's a sliding scale, but D&D especially more modern editions and examples pretty much just have the aesthetic of a civ. That's where it ends for the most part.

This is the problem with modern editions NOT older editions. Newer settings are just paint of some shitty shallow progressive wank setting.
And that's where people gripes come into play because they aren't good settings when you do that.

If you want to have a medieval setting, you need to portray it as such. Not just "Swords, castles, dragons, a bunch of random shit, niggers" like modern settings. Medieval europe was white, like or not that's they way it was, so if it's a setting based on that you have to represent the groups of people the way they were. Same goes if it's an african setting, or a japanese setting or whatever setting you have it. This need to make every single setting "diverse" regardless of logic or realism needs to stop. Diversity is not common in history.

I've always seen it as greater occurrence of multiethnic groups due to travel being easier than irl

I have the Wraeththu RPG on my hard drive. I tried to read through it once.
I couldn't make it.

Ok, tell me about the Conan vs Robots one.

But you also have to remember than just because people can travel doesn't mean they will, or are able to. And even still, there is no way that travel would be so accessible to the point where every single area is some melting-pot. Why and how would 500,000 peasants just pack up and move across whatever planet your setting is, WITH the added dangers of fantasy monsters fucking everywhere.

If you had a capital city at the heart of a large empire, it would makes sense that it would be diverse, in fact I would expect it to. If you had a major city along a trade route that stretches across a vast area, I would expect it to be diverse. But not every single nook and cranny of the planet has some niglet hiding in it.

I'm sure if you had some Medieval european country, and they saw a million blacks coming to settle in their lands, there would be some issues.

Honestly you've probably got more of the racial baggage if just hearing the word "United States" was enough to send you into that train of conjecture.

There would of course be areas that are diverse, something akin to a Mediterranean trade hub like Venice or Istanbul or Rome. But the majority of an area, ESPECIALLY rural areas, are significantly less likely to be diverse. You'd be much more likely to run into small enclaves of minority populations within a broader area, rather than having actually mixed populations. E.g. an elf-town in the human lands, but not "three elves in every human town."

>If you want to have a medieval setting, you need to portray it as such
Newer settings aren't trying to do that though.
>, usually just have it "black people have just always been here" and when it is tradesmen they have it so it's like 50% or greater black.
Where is this a thing. That seems more like a Magic problem than a D&D problem.

D&D Faerun is pretty bad, unironically.

None of the "gods" call to me, thousands of factions that arent well outlined, thousands of places of who cares, ugly map etc...

This a thousand this.

After all the books they publish, after all the miniatures of all the characters, after all this wankery, and Forgotten Realms is still a forgettable mess. How can this be?

For example Tolkien's Arda works in the opposite way, simple, natural, not so many complexities, not so many factions or characters, yet it feels alive and interesting.

FR is full of characters, places, gods etc yet it's forgettable and artificial as fuck

Bluerose. It's like Tumblr decided to make a RPG.

The word you're looking for is bloated. It's crammed with shit, but it's all piecemeal self-inserts and random ideas, so the overall structure is awful from every standpoint except nostalgia if you got into it early.

It's why they've tried to streamline/murder everything at least once, but it didn't really work because what existing and new fans would want out of it are pretty close to mutually exclusive.

it has been drawing predominantly from mythical europe though, either directly or indirectly via fantasy fiction that has been inspired by europe's myths.

What the fuck is this? A Hills Have Eyes rpg?

Yes, it's probably that.

To top that, now they introduced the SJW cancer to the mix, and now characters I grew up with like Redgar the fighter (featured in the D&D first tabletop game) always dies because he's a white male .

Or how they fucked the heroes from Tiranny of Dragons into being more SJW compliant, and now the archer woman is a nigger, but not a black woman, just a caucasian figure painted in brown skin,

It's really not that bad. Well, the original really isn't that bad, haven't heard anything about the remake.

They're just going for a decidedly different style and vibe than typical fantasy, so a lot of it comes off as weird. And also parts of it are shit even for itself, but it's not especially awful on the whole for what it's trying to be.

I think it would work if the workers werent retards.

What they need is simplifying things and actually making solid lore and stories with solid chronologies. It's why Warhammer worked so well for roleplay.

In Forgotten Realms you have a fuckton of factions, assassin groups, mysterious faggots... at the end of the day, who the fuck cares?

They're also lame as fuck the lot of them. And the gods? what the fuck is up with gods in that setting? Why are the D&D stuff so retarded?

At the end of the day none of it goes anywhere and I always had the suspicion that the people that work there are either dumb or poorly read. Like they dont enjoy reading shit and just watch shitty TV whenever they're not working on their settings.

yea sure, in fantasy

You leftists can't get /pol/ out of your head, can you? Just suck his dick already and get it out of your system.

That's no surprise sadly. It takes a gamist approach and is wholly derivative. This is why kitchen sink settings tend to suck. There's little to no effort into making it cohesive or setting constraints.

You'd have a point if we weren't talking about D&D settings in most of which people can fly and teleport. Pretty much giving them almost as much opportunity to travel around the world as modern man, if not more.

Do samurai and black people make sense in a Western fantasy setting? The answer is yes if you can go to a wizard and pay him to gate you wherever the fuck you want.

I kind of figured that was part of the point.
It has factions, locations etc, but it's so generic you can easily do your own thing in it.
Finish your campaign but wanna keep going, just spin it off.

I still don't get why middle-ages-europe faggotry is the "default".

Yes but for example Warhammer or Tolkien's world has a clear shape and form, where you can explore and do your own thing

"Do your own thing" in D&D is closer to swimming in a formless sea of duly multicolored shit, going nowhere and coming from nowhere.

Hell, I swear even the Magic cards have richer worlds and settings with much less exposition and text

You might have autism.

this. It combines the worst qualities of FR with the lazy cashgrab mentality of GW. It is a travesty

Because you live in the West and a lot of fantasy literature, even before Tolkien, took place in centuries past despite being contemporary at the time they were written.

>You'd have a point if we weren't talking about D&D settings in most of which people can fly and teleport.
A very, very small portion of the population can. Do you think every peasant is just teleporting around whenever he feels like it?

To clarify, educated people read old classical works. Instead of writing fantasy set in their own time like the authors they read, they just wrote stuff also taking place in those time periods.

Most classical works I read were set in the 20th century or the tail end of the 19th century

he projects. A common leftist tactic is projecting your own biases regarding other people on persons you disagree with, in order to absolve yourself from them and demonize the other as that part of you that you hate

Most of the time token diversity characters people complain about aren't random peasants, they're actually prominent people, like Pathfinder iconics. And for them it actually makes sense to be there if it's a high-magic setting.

>1 million niggers teleport into the middle of medieval England
Jesus christ how horrifying

On a serious note, the average peasant isn't going to be going around teleporting to random places, nor have the ability to. It's going to be wizards doing that. How much energy would you need to open a gate big enough to let that many people through. And why would thye just want to be teleported to a bunch of random places across the planet for no good reason?And what is this, some warcraft scenario where an evil (((wizard))) is unleashing a bunch of hordes into europe in order to conquer the place. It's not just how it's why.

Samurai and black people don't make sense in a western fantasy setting, samurai even less so that black people. And if you're trying to make a western fantasy setting, then why are you trying to shove a bunch of non-western shit into the setting? It defeats the point of using that setting unless you're a progressive who just loves diversity but only in Europe.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have the answer!

Refer to my post right above you. I'm yet to see a setting with millions of black peasants.

Antiquity would be a better word since not all of these works could be considered literary. I'm referring to the types who learned to read and write in Greek and Latin. People who wrote stuff like the Achilleid or even Paradise Lost which were arguably fanfics of Homer and the Bible respectively; both of which were closer to contemporary tales when they were made. Pop fantasy is like an extremely diluted version of that misses the point. This tradition goes back to the 17th century and earlier (it's just that their meme was Greece and Rome). These authors wanted more of what they loved and didn't want to update the setting. A slightly updated version of this practice would be writing an homage to a 19th century book you read set in the 19th century and then someone would write a book based off yours that's set in 19th century because it's kind of cool and that's what everyone else is doing for some reason.

>Called Forgotten Realms
>Is forgettable
BRAVO

Those characters are never explained as "Some wizard in africa or the character themselves used their awesome teleportation powers to go to europe" Those characters are usually just "There" and treated usually like they aren't even foreigners. Exceptions of course but that's the general trend.

And still
>if you're trying to make a western fantasy setting, then why are you trying to shove a bunch of non-western shit into the setting? It defeats the point of using that setting unless you're a progressive who just loves diversity but only in Europe.

since people mentioned D&D I have to ask

Is prism pentad (dark sun) still canon?

What if a Wizard decided to open a gate between all the world's civilizations and charged a modest toll on everyone going through, which gets him loadsamoney and has the side effect of mixing populations a lot more than would otherwise occur?

>it's a "click verify once there are none left" captcha
>it's goddamn slow as fuck

Would this wizard have the consent of all the world's governments to do this? Would people really be okay with this, just mass amounts of foreigners coming in unabated.

And here is another thing, not directed at you in particular, but lefties seem so desperate to come up with whatever nonsensical reason as to why there are a bunch of blacks in a medieval europe setting. No matter how far down the bottom of the barrel, no matter how many straws they grasp at, no matter how bullshit the reason is, they reach for it. And if you don't like it you're a racist. And not only are black people commonplace, they are often super duper great and perfect and highly respected and in positions of power. Similar situation with women. If by some miracle there were black people in these setting with a reason that makes sense, they would not be like they are portrayed in lefty shit. They would be treated like they were in real life.