/STG/ - Star Trek General

Best Trek Game Edition

Previous Thread: >A thread for discussing the 'Star Trek' franchise and its various tabletop adaptations.

Possible topics include Modiphius' new rpg 'Star Trek Adventures', WizKids miniatures game 'Star Trek: Attack Wing', and Gale Force Nine's board game 'Star Trek: Ascendancy', as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and the Star Trek universe in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures
-Official Modiphius Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
-PDF Collection
>mediafire.com/folder/0w33ywljd1pdt/Star_Trek_Adventures

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

Star Trek: Attack Wing
-Official WizKids Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

Star Trek: Ascendancy (Rules and Player Resources)
-Official Gale Force Nine Page
>startrek.gf9games.com/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lZf_nDuD4mI
ew.com/tv/2017/08/03/jason-isaacs-star-trek-catchphrase/
youtube.com/watch?v=tQcLLfzzKWA#t=9m50s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Precisely

How would you go about running an Elite Force-type game on the tabletop? Would you create all the extra weapons so players would have some choices in armament?

Reposting away team concept. Looking for peoples thoughts.

My guess is that DM is the captain of U.S.S. Strike force, which varies in size from Sovereign class to Defiant class.
The players are a four (or how ever many players you got) man strike force.
Also yes, you should stat all possible guns and melee weapons in order to bring in some variation.
Also id say Dark heresy and it's supplemental material, particularly the guard related stuff could be used in making a homebrew rules.

sixth for Tholians

>suicide bombing
>a tactic used to sway opinions via fear
>attempting to sway opinions of a race who habitually suppress the hell out of their emotions and tackle things in a rational manner
>attempting to dissuade a civilisation away from it's core principle of IDIC through a single act of attempting to inspire fear.
>'logical extremist'

We call it... STD.

How would you stat Tholians for STA?

Now there's a pickle. Well, unless you wanna take from Star Fleet Battles which has a chunk of stuff on them.

Otherwise there's not a whole lot of information about them. One of the big things would be their temperature requirement of over 404 °F. And their ability to basically be 'biological' radios due to their crystaline structure.
I don't think there's actually enough info to go on. Hell even the Breen have more to derive traits from.

>suppress the hell out of their emotions
Oh no, user. STD Vulcans /have/ no emotion. Nada. Zero. Null. Zilch.

>the katra has healing powers

And people actually defend this tripe. Pathetic. I lose more faith in humanity every day because of this like this.

Not the first time Vulcans bombed something
youtube.com/watch?v=lZf_nDuD4mI

Logic is great!

This is the guy that wanted his "captain phrase" (like Picard's 'engage' or 'make it so') to be "git'r done" and only held off upon finding out that the phrase had been trademarked.

For real? Is this a real thing that really happened?

There's a theory that the Discovery is the seedling of Section 31 which... makes some sense. It'd also make them the villains by Star Trek standards. Most standards that aren't located in Die Hard, CoD BLOPs, Hitman or Obama's brain, really.

The best Star Trek show on TV right now is being made by Seth McFarlane.

I will never get used to that being true.

ew.com/tv/2017/08/03/jason-isaacs-star-trek-catchphrase/

I think it's probably B-canon, but i think i remember Federation Marines being mentioned somewhere?

And Onion articles sound more reasonable than the actual news and Donald Trump is president of the United States.

...I honestly don't think this is a trend that's going to change anytime soon.

When will people get over saying this,

When it stops being true and amusing.

When Discovery starts getting written consistently by people who actually get star trek?

Star Trek Discovery is the best thing that ever happened to the Orvilles. These same haters would be tearing into wholesale if there wasn't Star Trek to distract them.

see Because it's not a joke.

>want a great action show to get bogged down by some faggy nerds that don't understand how deep DIS is
Your Trek is dead, grandpa. Trek is alpha kino now.

What a super rad Chad captain. Better than that Orville cuck.

Christ, the absolute state of science fiction.

>kino
You had a chance, but you chose to not take it

That's tv production for you.

Anyone got some nice high-res screencaps of the Orville by the way? Was some good shots of it with the big cruiser and over that planet in the past couple of episodes and I've not been able to get it in HD.

anyone played the Sins of a solar empire armada mod recently? how is it?

Reminder that Cpt. Lorca is canonically an alias adopted by an immortal british wizard Lucius Malfoy

It's puzzling because Bryan Fuller is a really good showrunner. Dead like Me and Pushing Daises were both shows that managed to keep a light tone while dealing with heavy subject matter. Which is so rare and so vital for sci-fi not to become either gratingly twee or insufferably portentous. Everything about STD, looked really interesting, from the McQuarrie ship to the serial format to being set in the past made me think: "Okay, there's a lot of talent here, and clearly they're doing some homework, this should be really good."

Meanwhile, Seth McFarlane has made some funny animation, but he had one good template that he got three shows out of. And everything else has been wildly inconsistent. Hell, remember "The Winner"? Anyone remember that?

And yet, the team with everything going for them produced something that not only isn't Star Trek, but isn't even particularly good or original sci-fi.

The Orville isn't great, with it's Ikea sets and Seth McFarlane's limitations as an actor, but it actually seems to have some potential. Even if it is only good against a low baseline and even if it is hitting nostalgia pretty hard, it's the show that's more interesting to me.

>That's tv production for you.
Not just TV production. TV production spearheaded by people exclusively taken from Dawson's Creek, Women's Murder Club and some YouTube comedy show.

It's not just (or even primarily) an issue of medium/genre.

The staff just flat-out shouldn't ever have been allowed anywhere near Sci-fi.

If they'd come out of the, say, police procedural genre, sure. Go ahead. But dark comedy/horror/90s sitcoms are just about the worst basis for this. Especially Star Trek.

BSG? Yeah sure. Could have worked. Maybe.
But not Star Trek.

>It's puzzling because Bryan Fuller is a really good showrunner.
Might have something to do with the fact that Fuller isn't running the show, and hasn't since before things even got rolling. Which leaves a lot of people thinking that he left/got canned because of disagreements about all the garbage we've been getting.

Wasn't Fuller shitcanned from the project right around the time it launched, though? I thought it was basically just Kurtzman running the show now, and he's hilarious incompetent in pretty much everything he does.

Could it be that that too is just an alias of an immortal fellow who has had many aliases through out the ages?

Huh, I thought he was more involved in the development of the show at least. But yes, that'd explain some things.

>Fuller is a really good showrunner

Fuller was fired a long time ago. He wanted STD to look like Star Trek, but that's illegal.

youtube.com/watch?v=tQcLLfzzKWA#t=9m50s

>(((Kurtzman)))
>(((Gretchen J. Berg)))
Every time.

Nah, he was kicked from the program before it even aired. He had some good ideas, too. Each season being a completely different show with different casts to basically just tell little individual stories in the Star Trek universe. So maybe one season was just about one ship's involvement in the early days of Klingon/Federation hostilities, another was a science vessel trapped in some spoopy space science crisis, etc.

You can actually tell a bunch of interesting stories that way, without getting either bogged down in five seasons of the same story that advances just enough each week to keep people watching or without being as episodic as standard trek. Sort of just a connected series of Star Trek mini-series, under the umbrella of STD.

So did anyone else pick up on the Discovery's ultra-mega-huge drawback? It apparently can't go into nebulae (or at least nebulae similar enough to the one in the episode) without exploding. Seems like a pretty big flaw IMO.

Inb4 they handwave it away by next episodewith some technobabble about extending structural integrity fields and using controlled tachyon bursts to nullify the strain on the anti-matter core.

>implying they care enough to handwave it and don't just forget by the next episode it becomes relevant

You are right.
What was i thinking?

Pretty much fantastic. It isn't like Armada I/II since it's just Sins of a Solar Empire with Trek stuff, but if you liked Sins and you like Star Trek, you'll enjoy Armada III.

Yes.

Great.

That's actually not a great fight for your Ambassador. You better have Saber backup to take out those Miradorns, they're actually decent cruisers.

There was at least a dozen of them in support.

Tholians are so hot!

At least in this case you can blame Romulan Subterfuge.

I'm so happy they added a T6 Miranda in STO. It's so silly, but I love this thing.

Section 31 was already in existence in Enterprise though. Reed was a member.

Ugh, using Mirandas. They're just so terrible in STA3, they die like frogs in a blender.

Though, you haven't lived until you've taken a horde of Mirandas up against the Borg and somehow come out of it alive.

Yeah that was fairly early game, I'd forgotten just how bad they were.

One of my favorite games was when I went cardassian/dominion, and built only Gul Dukat and as many Scarabs as fleet supply would allow. It was a lot of fun, and surprisingly effective. Until the game crashed, at least.
They did well choosing voice clips for the heroes, too - Dukat rambles on and on, Weyoun is smooth and slimy, Kurn and Martok ooze awesome, and Gowron just YELLS CONSTANTLY.

I love the Third Fleet. They're awful, but I love them anyway.

Yeah, the voice clips are actually spot on. Really impressive. I rarely use the hero ships but they're all pretty solid.

I'll have to check out that strat though. My general Cardassian strategy is to tech straight into Galors and just spam them like its my god damn job. Unlike canon, STA3 Galors are very very good.

Are Romulan ships slower moving between planets than Federation ships? It felt like it when I tried them but I wasn't sure if it could have been the map instead.

Alright. Burn it down. STD is irredeemable.

>Alright. Burn it down. STD is irredeemable.
Nah.
Just gotta kill Burnham.

that would require some iota of planning, writing talent, or respect for cannon, which hasn't happened thus far.

more than likely we're all just grasping for straws for some sort of explanation, when in all reality the producers have no explanation themselves other than "its 8 mil an episode- we
always thought star trek was about the aesthetic :^)"

I don't think so, it was probably just the map. Romulans aren't super amazing though, unless you *really* abuse cloaking since the AI doesn't seem to keep that many scout ships around to detect you. It's pretty fun to slip a cloaked planet bombardment fleet into an enemy's home system and smoke them.

The sum of a person's experiences is now basically the Force. I've been annoyed or angry about things being in Trek before that were stupid, but they were usually one offs that can be ignored. This is a fundamental change in how the universe itself operates. Forget salamander warp 10 sex, THIS is the thing that needs to be declared non-canon.

Well, the strategy doesn't work against the borg terribly well - isolated cubes, yeah, but a full fleet with spheres, cubes, and the space dildo? You'll be looking at a lot of really pretty scarab wreckage. Galor's, and a mix of them and the dominion ships is a much better idea.

Disappointed to hear Romulans are weak, though they have to give up something in exchange for cloaking I guess.

How viable is it to play with a strictly Dominion fleet including no Cardassians and no Breen?

[Spoiler]
>kill Burnham. Have it be her own fault so its cathartic. See- the first duty, where westly finally faces consequences for being a little shit, but with more suffering.
>blow up the discovery
>burn the script
>fire everyone, public shaming and shunning on as many platforms as possible. these people should never work in TV again
>stage public apology with as many TNG/TOS crewmembers that feel like showing up.
>specifically declare this shit to be not cannon, like star wars did with most of their shitty-fanfic grade novels.

>new show
>use budget to hire actual writers/actors
>pay a fan min. wage as a "cannon guide" so you don't accidentally make a Battlestar Galactica reboot for a fanbase this autisticly rabid.
>simplify the alien makeup, so we can actually see the actor's faces through it. Or just don't have it go over the cheeks. The Acting is stiff enough as is without literally gluing their mouths shut.
> have Starfleet behave like Starfleet. I am a-ok with kirk-y breaking of the prime directive, but mutiny because "MUH DEAD PARENTS TRIGGERED REEEEEE" is grounds for relief of duty and mandatory psychological evaluations, even if you work for the taliban.
[/spoiler]

if they did that, then we'd be at the level of the worst fucking episodes of enterprise. Which isn't that bad in retrospect, desu. At least characters and concepts were consistent.

It can be done. The biggest problem is diversity of ship type - you'd have no long range frigates, no anti-fighter, and no bombardment frigates. I'd recommend including Breen, not just because they hit hard, but because of their disable and shield regen skills.

I think as long as you sent in a blob of scarabs to go batshit on the enemy fleet, and then started picking off capital ships with your main fleet it would work nicely. Plus, you get three titans once you level the Dom titan up enough, and that helps a ton.

>simplify the alien makeup, so we can actually see the actor's faces through it.

I'm convinced now they did it like this JUST so they could string us along with the 'is he Voq or not?' ARG they've got going.

Ctrl+s user.

>the universe unironically has shapeshifting
>not handwaving "using holograms as a disguise!" to keep the voq thing going without wasting thousands on face rigs that were never meant to be looked at for more than a half sec at a time

It people will enjoy movies like The Dark Knight Rising and Batman V Superman, people will enjoy STD. Fans doesn't matter anymore.

autocorrect decided to captialize shit for me, goddamn. sorry

>I didn't think you could greentext in a spoiler?

i've heard nothing but rage directed at it from all but "independent news outlets." This includes liberal parts of plebbit.

The real question is if it gets renewed for a season 2. Things flop nowadays, it just doesn't happen immediately.

With established IP and cinematic universe BS, you can usually count on fans to show up for the pilot/1st weekend. Then everyone will talk about how awesome/shitty your work was, and then you'll feel in your bottom line later. Sometimes its more immediate than others- the TMNT movie had a strong opening weekend and then theaters were deserted by week 3. Star trek itself is a good example of a longer burn. Into darkness was literally the same thing as the 1st movie, and so the sales for beyond were really weak. Which is a shame because it was a jump up in quality. still not quite trek, but I was pleasantly surprised by how adaptable and nerdy the director of fast and furious turned out to be

It already got renewed for season 2.

lol. welp, i'm not sure our circle-jerking butthurt will be boosting the ratings for that long.

That and they can still fire everyone. The optimist in me remembers how we killed tasha yar and got new writers.

Yeah, but not much works against the Borg in straight-up full fleet engagements. I barely have success with 8 capship Fed fleets backed by Akiras and Lakota-refit Excelsiors. The Borg are so overpowered lategame that it isn't even funny.

You can play strictly Dominion, but not at the outset. In order to expand early, you *have* to use Cardassian ships since you don't have access to the Dominion for awhile. Once you conquer some planets and actually tech into the Dominion, you can do ok, but you have virtually no tech diversity and few capship choices. I don't recommend it.

A second season was pretty much a given after Netflix dropped so much cash for the international distribution rights. Season 1 can be a complete bomb and CBS won't be feeling it financially.

Ah, I never realized beer pong was what was missing from Star Trek.

Jesus Christ.

Is this a thing in STD? It's something you'd maybe expect from ORV, but I haven't seen them do that yet.

Was beer pong in the most recent episode? Got a webm?

Me too, and the Saratoga and Soyuz parts are just finger licking good. Say thanks to Thomas what's his name the 3d modeller for STO, he actually modeled the Soyuz parts in his down time.

The Borg, more than any other fleet, seem to required a strict targeting order when fighting them - the obvious urge is to focus cubes, and that isn't a bad idea, but diamonds are the real threat. Their repair ability is bad enough, but it also stacks a shitload of armor on their healed target. So while you're trying desperately to kill the Progenitor ship, or focus firing a Tactical cube, that wee little diamond just gave it 5k health and 9999 armor for at least 5 seconds, maybe 10. It's not long, but seconds matter in a fleet engagement.
After them, Adapters, for the same reason. Then heroes, spheres, and the rest. It works for me, usually, but it's best to not even let them get that far.

And you know, I think that's my favorite thing about the Orville. We've seen so many series focused on the best and brightest of Starfleet. It's nice to just focus on the mid-level jackasses. The kind of people who will never have ships named after them but maybe a meal down in the mess. The kind of people who put up old TV shows on the view-screen during the more boring parts of deep space voyages. The kind of people who play with a fellow crewmember's alien physiology much like a carnival freak as they test the limits of "I can eat almost anything."

I've had good results in charging in, sniping a cube or a few smaller cap ships, then disengaging with most of my fleet and warping away. Usually, the AI will either let you go (in which case you won since you lost less than they did almost every time) or it'll try to rally and chase you (in which case, they're warping into your fleet and you can focus some more ships down in the first few seconds of combat). Either way, you win.

I just finished watching. There will be webms to come. I kind of liked this episode even though it was awkward as hell in some parts.

Also, is this how serialized shows on network TV tend to go? I was expecting something more akin to GoT but this feels downright episodic compared to that.

It's criminal how much effort that goes into STO has to be done in people's off time.

...the actual fuck?

Background? Is this canon as happening or is this some kind of simulation/fever dream?

>what's a malloy?
>a beer before noon