What are your favourite alternatives to the four classical elements and the five chinese elements?

What are your favourite alternatives to the four classical elements and the five chinese elements?

I've been thinking about some pseudo-scientific system that uses the four fundamental forces as a basis for its elemental system, where "magicians" tap into one of the forces. Possibly in the context of an industrial early 20th century style setting.

Each force would be classified by range and intensity, as well as its connection to the other forces. The two short range forces being melee/touch only, whereas long range forces decay in power with the inverse of distance squared. The two weak forces are focused on fine control but can't generate power as easily and vice versa.

Gravity (long, weak) is affecting the curvature of space to manipulate gravitational forces, teleport or distort time.

EM (long, strong) covers electricity, magnetism, light, long range communication and more interestingly biology and chemistry.

Strong and weak interaction are a bit harder to categorize in terms of clear powers, but I'd imagine it as something like this:

Weak Force (short, weak) has radioactive decay, slow disruption, weakening of materials and transmutation (heavy elements to light elements). It's also very close to EM mechanically, so practitioners of one can often reach into the other field.

Strong Force (short, strong) gets adhesion, ultra-violent decomposition and transmutation of light to heavy elements. Has a marginal connection to EM and Weak Force, but is much rarer than the other three forces (mostly because you can't have too many people who can easily create nuclear explosions running around).

Unifying those forces would be the equivalent of creating a Philosopher's Stone/ Prima Materia in traditional alchemy.

Other urls found in this thread:

throneofsalt.blogspot.com/2017/07/setting-great-discape.html
throneofsalt.blogspot.com/2017/09/the-great-discape-bestiary-1-of-3.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like having esoteric elements:
>Light
>Darkness
>Love
>Sausages

Ether
Orichalcum
Big Kahuna Burger
Nintendium

>nintendium

So, super hard or something?

I kinda like the Ba Gua, has some "expansion" of the more usual elements.

>Fire
>Earth
>Lake
>Sky
>Water
>Mountain
>Thunder
>Wind

Just use ice for lake and voilĂ .

Bionicle's Elements.

... Give or take a few.

Plasma
Liquid
Gas
Solid

>The Green

Yeah. Supposedly organic protodermis plants.
Also not a big fan of the Metal element being named Iron.

Oh shit, is Psionic canon?

>Blood
>Choler
>Flegm
>Melancholy

Yep, that picture is fan-made, but it depicts all the bionicle g1 canon elements from inside the Matoran Universe.

The period table.

Literal Science Wizards. I could be down with this. Electromagnetism is possibly OP, though.

Use the Four states of matter as modern day expys of the classics.

Plasma(Fire)
Gases(Air)
Liquid(Water)
Solid(Earth)

I like the idea of using Physics as a basis for Elements or powers.
But I feel as though using the four fundamental forces or states of matter are a bit bland power-set wise.

Maybe break it down into broader categories of studies?

Electrics/Electronics
Magnetics
Kinetics
Thermodynamics
Sonics
Optics
Classical Mechanics/Gravity
Atomics

Some RPG blogger sketched out a series of "elemental" planes based on the four humors. I think they're interesting enough to share. Here's the description of the first two:

Sanguine Savanna
>Blood-and-gold grasses appear as waves of fire under the wind sunlight. Clusters of acacia trees and baobabs break the horizon. When the rainy season comes, the storms bark with laughter and the newborn lightninglings leap between the thunderheads. The inhabitants follow the rains and the herds of cup-headed russeceroses in an eternal cycle. Territory is marked by stamping down patterns in the grass, to be seen from above by tribal balloonsmen.

Choleric Desert
>A cracked expanse of off-yellow grit and salt crust. Everything smells faintly of urine, and any moisture has long since been baked away. Anything living that finds itself in these lands will find itself dead in short order, and shortly thereafter animated by whatever sparks of hate that might still jump between its desiccated neurons. The deserts are rich grounds for mining salt and antiwater (it looks something like bismuth), drawing the crazy or desperate from afar. The local inhabitants, mummified ages ago, sit in their spiteful spires and bicker. The hateful dead have nothing better to do.

The rest of that blog post and a bestiary:
throneofsalt.blogspot.com/2017/07/setting-great-discape.html
throneofsalt.blogspot.com/2017/09/the-great-discape-bestiary-1-of-3.html

They did it on Adventure Time too.
The four elements were candy, fire, ice and slime and were related to sanguine, choleric, melancholic and phlegmatic respectively.

>Plasma
>Liquid
>Gas
>Solid
If it weren't so late I'd love to make this into a full system. Curse my human brain for needing REM.

How about emotions?

>Sausages
So I assume correctly that in your setting Germans are a type of elemental?

>love on the joy spectrum
It's indistinguishable from anxiety/dread

I like the pulpiness of having one element that does everything one way or another. Basically what I run is some pulp space barbarians shit where the entire galaxy was unified using FTL and Hardlight called the Fifth Field, but then something went wacky, the Fifth Field became near-impossible to harness, and so literally everything went to shit. Before the fall, everything was made with The Field because it was so easy and functional. Ships, tools, cities, even some AI were made entirely of Field Energy.

This is dumb. Can I really not have pensive interest? Apprehensive boredom? This chart fucking blows ass.

I was thinking about a Forces - Matter - Spirit - Life system but what is a good generic name for all forces of nature that are not solid? Like fire, thunder all together?

Energy

I use prana and mana besides the four. Sunlight is a form of prana. Gravity is a proprierty of prana's density. Souls are also made of prana. Prana is also the primordial element from which the other five are made. Ley lines conduct prana between each and every soul which has feelings towards something else.

The whole thing is called sacrophysics.

What is mana?

The element of magic and change.

>lederhosen give you a +2 dice pool modifier on channelling sausage based powers

Neat magic system OP.