Malifaux General

Mercenaries Edition

Last Thread Faction Stat Card Almanac:
mega.nz/#F!a8QBgCaD!mMN8jvLMuNKHA5G3nJ0FSg

>Books
Malifaux:mega.nz/#F!cg00BCoD!mDHocpgWP_hkkM3CpCBwrQ
Broken Promises:mega.nz/#!F4UDWIQD!HPHQPzKYpPSHr8QfTRrfaCkgjdauyp-WBCVQf1WTHxI

Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules:themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/123837-gaining-grounds-2017/

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of Malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4 - New models and masters
Book 5 - New models & master upgrades

Through the Breach:mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A
Through the Breach 2E -mega.nz/#!nBIClLhS!zNSsWVb1s-V45vK_C010xVc9LWWt-nMg0mk-G-MY7dw

Discord voice chat for malifaux chat and memery:discord.gg/xWkuFRz

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm skirmish tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives.

What are you working on right now?

dice+2d6

I'm starting Ulix, and wondering how many piglets I should get?

6 seems to work well in terms of survival, more if you want to take the sow.

>What are you working on right now?
More terrain stuff.

You can survive with just the extra piglet from the hog whisperer box and the piglets from the piglet box. That depends on what you are running of course. If you are going full husbandry with the Sow, get another piglet box or two.

Are these Fat Dragon Games buildings? Also, that horse looks nice.

There Western ones are fat dragon's Rio Draco

The more medieval ones, and the church are Dave Graffam.

Probably going to grab some more fat dragon ones to mix it up a bit. It's a bit overboard for Malifaux, I've got about three or four boards worth, but I want a bunch for a TTB game.

Oh sweet. I didn't realize that you could use actual terrain for TTB. Do you print those out on cardstock?

I have a couple questions about Lynch in general. For one thing if a TT Brother uses Dance of the Heavens to draw a card and discard a card, can you just straight up draw a card if you discard an ace and get it back? Also, does The Party Never Ends stop Under the Influence from disappearing on enemy models until the end of the turn?

Yeah. Pretty cheap and easy.

Why wouldn't you be able to use terrain? The combat rules are almost a 1 to 1 of Malifaux.

>What are you working on right now?
Trying to paint some Saurai I bought off a guy.
Came undercoated, very difficult to make them bright again, but don't want to have to slather on white primer to pring it back up.
I'm thinking for the second one I'll try an obsidian-type look on the plates, and do the mail with the lightest silver drybrushing I can make look good.

Aside from that, I'm building a Terracotta warrior proxy that's just a crate with Chinese warning symbols on it. Saw some guy on here a few months ago saying he was doing the same, sounds like a better idea than the flat models).
Any China-weebs around that could supply me with some good moonrunes for "Fragile!" or something similar?

>Saurai
Jesus, Samurai.

Went for orange plates on the first one, looks grainy and shit and the coverage isn't great either.
I think maybe my paint is bumholed, as are a few of the other colours, should probably bite the bullet and buy a whole new set.

Does anyone actually use the Samurai?
Fucking boss models, but I hear zero buzz about them.

They certainly have their purposes. With Lynch they can reliably chew through an entire deck to get you your aces. If you have a lot of discard effects and/or want to 52 Pickup dudes it isn't a bad ideal. Otherwise they are general ranged support there to sit in one place.

Sounds like if you aren't running a deck-manipulation list they are maybe a bit expensive for what they do?

They seem like reliable damage-dealers, but not so great at landing the big hits.

Yup, Lynch has the luxury of running a crew that leans on discarding cards for bonuses without actually costing him anything more than a slot in the control hand.
Rail Workers are an unpleasant surprise for many, and I bet the constant threat of a 2/4/5 on +flips to Attack and Damage at no real cost to Lynch is probably even better.
Having said that, there're probably better things to plug into a Lynch crew, I just grew up on Mei Feng and have an anti-optimal attachment to that crew box.

This is sort of a weird question, but does anyone have tips on how to play less competitively?

I've been playing gremlins and ressers vs my friend's Vik crew.

I'm on a 6+ winning streak, and he's a pretty new player. I don't want to dishearten him.

Should I go out of my way to bring less useful models? Playing non-competitively seems like a bad idea, I don't want him to pick up bad habits.

Lean hard into theme, and take the non-optimal schemes.
Bitches keep whining that Accusation, Mark for Death and Recover Evidence are too hard.
Do them.
This is also the obvious time to try out all those models you don't use much.

Mostly though, if he's that new, he's just going to be bad, and it will take practice and post-game debriefs to make him better.

Play weaker crews in general. Try running the Crossroads Seven against your buddy, or maybe give Brewmaster a spin.

>Try running the Crossroads Seven against your buddy, or maybe give Brewmaster a spin.
Noooooooooooope.

C7 are shit if your opponent knows how/where to apply pressure, or if you intentionally take them into a stupid strat, but I've seen a good few people (myself very much included) get erased by those auras before they can see what's about to happen.

And Brewmaster is just annoying to play agains,t and can easily make you feel helpless and lead to an unenjoyable game.

Playing C7 sounds fun as fuck honestly, they're silly but really thematic and have a lot of style with their factions

So everyone is dead hyped about this old Homelands campaign, 'ey?

Can't hear myself think over all this buzz about Wyrd's annual world-wide campaign event, lads.

I've got Envy around here somewhere that I keep meaning to build.
A few sick models in the crew.

Can Wrath be separated from his... backing singers?
Or are they molded onto his legs?

Don't play Brewmaster against newbies. They're gonna have a bad time.

He is seperate.

Excellent, cheers.
Maybe I'll use the not-Sorrows as a base for a Pandora conversion, and use Wrath as... something else?
Not really sure who he'd be a good swap for though.
Witchling Thrall maybe?
I always thought the official Thralls were a bit unimposing.

Who else is playing the Halloween scenario?

Where is the it listed?

Latest Chronicles.

The whole crew is Terrifying (all) 9?
That's a whole shitload of card churning...

What's the deal with the scenario?
Kill the Scarecrow?

What's got Terrifying outside of Nvb and Ressur?

I think there are a few Outcast models with it

All of these story encounters look neat, but don't you only have a singular strategy and no other objectives in them? Or are you supposed to add schemes alongside them?

I think you still flip schemes.

How would this list look for a general Lynch crew?

50 SS Ten Thunders Crew
Jakob Lynch + 3 Pool
- The Rising Sun (2)
- Woke Up With A Hand (2)
- Burn Out (2)
Hungering Darkness (0)
- Addict (1)
Sensei Yu (9)
Gwyneth Maddox (8)
The Illuminated (7)
The Illuminated (7)
Ten Thunders Brother (5)
Ten Thunders Brother (5)

I'm trying to stick at 8, as losing two to get a dedicated beater of some sort seems tough.

Why bring Yu if you're not taking the upgrade to make Illuminated/Huggy/Lynch fast? And Burn Out I've always felt was more of a win-more card. Could swap it for Addict, give Yu Wandering River and maybe use another stone to give Gwyneth Smoke Grenades, making her completely untouchable beyond 6". Maybe take a point off of a TTB for a LRM and you could give Huggy a Recalled Training.

I thought that Smoke Grenades wouldn't make much sense with Gwyneth, but then I realized most models don't shoot at a positive anyways. You are right that burn out probably isn't necessary. I will see about taking that off and giving Yu his upgrade. The LRM sounds like a good deal too as with the single game that I played with the list healing and condition removal did seem handy.

Thanks m8s. I'll probably give Ophelia a try.

Correct, I believe you usually also flip Schemes.

>The Scarecrow
Well he looks obnoxious as all fuck.

The model wise or rule wise?

Just make sure you play with a dickload of cover.
Ophelia and Perdita are absolute monsters on Planet Cueball.

I think the biggest help anyone can be to new players is to explain while you fuck them how you are fucking them - especially when they are doing something to fuck themselves, and doubly so when it is a self-shag that would be a mistake in any context, rather than just against your current crew.

Oh definitely rules.

All Horror All The Time sounds irritating to the maximum level.

What would be good to take into a game that blocks all Horror-avoiding tech?

Kang gives +flips to Horror dules within 6".
Doesn't one of Lucius' abilities or upgrades do the same?

Oiran give +1 Wp within 4", so obviously tehy are now God-tier...

Just run Rasputina. Problem solved. Though as you mentioned Lucius generally has a crew that is good against terror duels and can of course make them easier with the lawyers and his aura.

Nope - specifically says no immunity to Paralyze.

Not like Arcanists need more EZ modo.

I play on There's tons of blocking but not a whole lot of straight cover.

Gotta get the trees I loaned a friend back.

I might try playing with my schemes always revealed, so he gets a better idea of what I'm playing at.

Is there any trichi stuff brewmaster want in 10 thunders?

That aren't already in TT? No such thing. That Brewmaster actually wants to use? Still not really a thing. Tanuki can be nice I guess as they can let your other models build up poison without spending AP. Otherwise you just run Brewmaster the good old fashioned way with beaters to obey and Yin to make drinking contests harder.

Well /mfg/ I'm off to play Halloween spooky games tonight, sso Happy Halloween everyone

How much thought do folks put into terrain mix and layout?

I know most folks at my flgs just grab the nearest box and chuck it on the table - if that's the entire PlastCraft circus and caravans set, then we got a shitload of blocking terrain and not a lot else, but if it's the box o' trees, then we're in a sparse forest and there might be a standing stone somewhere.

People that build symmetrical tables really get up my nose in particular, because then you're just handing a huge advantage to whoever wins the flip, as they can force a conservative deployment from their opponent and capitalise on any flaws in it.

I was going to suggest more severe terrain and actual cover - I find the maze games interesting up until the point someone lands a tank in a chokepoint (or you have to stroll along a street to a gunline) and there's fuck all to be done about it.

Swap two houses for four copses of the same area and I'd call it near perfect - that's a good set of terrain.

Have a spoopy time braux.

Any + modifiers against Gwyneth turn into -'s before they cancel each other out, so if someone has a built in + or if they use focus, they'll be at double -. With Smoke Grenades you will guarantee your opponent being at at least 1 - at all times at 6" away. I'm not 100% on the LRM though. It's a great model to be sure, but you are giving up a Lynch-powered TTB. Kinda depends on whether you need the stones or not.

>How much thought do folks put into terrain mix and layout?
I generally prefer theme over function.
I'm working on having enough terrain for four tables.
Western town/Badlands
Fantasy town/Malifaux proper
Bayou/gremlin village
Graveyard

>symmetrical tables
Wouldn't that be worse with asymmetrical tables?

>before they cancel each other out,
What makes you think that?
Have that related a faq already?

On Gwyneth's Luck Thief it says
>enemy models treat all + modifiers as if they were - modifiers
All + and -'s you get are labeled modifiers, so as soon as they exist as a + modifier they will turn into a - modifier, and only after all modifiers are present do you look for cancellations.

>Advantage of deploying second
>Wouldn't that be worse with asymmetrical tables?
Nope, quite the opposite.
In fact, I'm pretty sure the whole point of laying out terrain and stuff in a non-standardised format is so that you don't have a "White plays first" advantage.

If you want to pick the advantageous terrain, you have to deploy first and let your opponent react to your positioning.
If getting a surprise alpha-strike off is vital, you have let them deploy first and hope they don't choose the side/area that makes that too difficult.

>Serena Bowman
The ability on the card refers to modifiers, not the duel or the final flip(s).

I'm convinced Gwyneth is one of a couple of totally busted to fuck models out now.

Hada couple of very unpleasant experiences with Ironsides recently too, and she's bullshit with the new upgrades and the Df trigger errata.

There're a few things in the game I'm just not finding fun to play against at the moment.

Pic Unrelated.

How is Gwyneth busted? She has giving models Brilliance and some card manipulation. She's hardly gonna see play beyond a Lynch and maybe a McCabe crew, and even there she'll do very little herself and become useless once her complimentary Illuminated dies.

Ah, no, you're right.
Looking back at her card, she's really irritating, but not broken.

I can't stop making terrible gimmick lists.
Anyone have a decent shell of an outcasts crew? I have everyone except Jack daw and Parker

Damn that's rough. I hope it gets FAQed/errata'd soon.

Being that ridiculously hard to kill is all a model needs to be busted. With her pull and pretty good attack she'll be able to lock a big chunk of the board down.

Her ability is huge. With a 6 defense, the heals, being able to burn soulstones, and manipulating into a better hand, she's probably the most unkillable model in the game.

9 Wds at Df5 and a defensive boost that only works if you win that duel at Df5 is hardly unkillable. It's actually fairly squishy. All it means is that you can't attack her as an afterthought and have to make sure you land that blow, but at Df5 that's quite easy to do.

This. She is a foil for snipers, but not much else. I will have to try Smoke Bombs with her though if that user was right about it adding on the negative after the opponent's flips are modified.

Thanks! It was agood time, I played Titania into Zoraida for a Carver game and it was the most fun I've had in a while, I got a few Halloween flavored soulstones for my trouble to boot

How does Nico keep jobbing?

Fucking shit.
What the fuck.
Drop a building on a bitch and she comes back. Even with her head cut off.

Poor Nico, he's sorta the settings punching bag.

Got her df and wp mixed. My mistake.
Still a pain.

With aces she could be a bitch to damage too, if they flip/cheat too high, you could cheat down for negative damage flips.

I blame America and its boner for cowboy cops.

But seriously, why has this happened?

That last year's (year before's?) Halloween scenario?

Do you have an actual Carver?
It's one of those models I want, but not quite enough to scrape eBay for.

The carver encounter from crossroads, it was really funny because despite both of us not picking particularly killy crews the board was nearly empty bottom of turn 2

Ebay has plenty of cheap carvers. Some of the mini sellers still have stock.

I like the Carver model, but I know whatever head I choose, I'll regret the decision.

Just use magnets bro.

That sounds advanced.

Not really. The neck joint on the Carver is big enough to the point where using rare earth magnets isn't hard. Simply drill into the neck, and then into the heads (Ideally with a pin vice), glue in the magnets, and you are good.

Looks like I need to invest in a drill and vice.

It's always funny when you run two soft crews against each other, catch a couple of Severe's in odd places and suddenly everyone's dead.
Had a Performer go ham and kill two Terror Tots and I just stood there in disbelief.

I'll have a look.
Britbong, so far less in the way of Faux on our eBay.

To be honest the plastic is soft enough, and the neck thing enough, that you can probably carve out a hollow for it for the cost of a scalpel blade and a finger or two, no drill needed.

Crop that shit nigger, holy shit.

>It's always funny when you run two soft crews against each other, catch a couple of Severe's in odd places and suddenly everyone's dead.
>Had a Performer go ham and kill two Terror Tots and I just stood there in disbelief.
This is honestly one of my favorite parts of the game.
A few games back I had a slop hauler solo two Ronin.

Pin vices are surprisingly cheap. I remember grabbing mine for $2 or $3 from a Micro Center. Thanks to the Chinese rare earth magnets are even more affordable. Pin vices are essential for Malifaux IMO as a lot of models really want to be pinned to their bases.

>pinned to their bases.
I've heard a lot if people talk about pinning models, but I don't really know what that means.

Excuse my newbness

>Pin vices are essential for Malifaux
I'm definitely startingto think that too.

Unfortunately a lot of their models are so slender that there just aren't many good pinning pointsfor buildingthem though - canmake coversions pretty tricky.

You drill hole into a model's foot, insert a brass rod (Or if you are cheap like me, a paperclip), then you drill a hole into the base, and slide the rod in on that side. Just glue the apparatus together and presto, you have a rock solid connection. You can get away with not doing it for some models, but others like the male mounted guard need it if you don't want them to fall off their base during transport. Thankfully we are working with hard plastic so you don't usually need to pin parts of the model together for assembly purposes.

I want to get into the game playing Neverborn. Who's the most interesting Master to play?

For me probably The Dreamer or Collodi. They are not as direct playstyle wise as one might think, and do take a while to learn. Guys like Lynch and Lilith on the other hand are pretty straightforward.

"Interesting" is a meaningless word

Masters that are fun to play, and have lots of effective options.
I get that the Dreamer is all about getting up to someone and dumping all your nightmares, but how does Collodi play? Does he favor mass hordes, or small elite squads, or "castling"?

>Collodi
A horde plus a couple of elites.
Looks sick too.

The playstyles of some of the Masters are difficult to explain to folks that don't know how the game works.

What kind of playstyle do you enjoy?

I play a walker heavy Ork army in 40k, and Khador in Warmahordes.
My lists tend to have a couple big heavy hitters, some buff dispensers, and a lot of cannon fodder.

You might like Lynch. Lynch's crew have some durable things. Or Lylyth for pure beatstick backbreaking capacity.

I don't like their aesthetics very much.

How good is Collodi, Widow Weaver, Vasilisa, 4 marionettes, some dolls, a stitched together, and a Teddy?

It's a pretty good setup actually. Vasilisa is not often picked though. The rest work really well. You always run marionettes with Collodi anyways. Wicked dolls will pop up through summons if you are running the Widow Weaver. Stitched are great to obey as you can blow dudes with with Gamble for Blood. And a Teddy is of course a great choice for Collodi to obey, as it can really wreck face. You can of course summon one with the Widow Weaver.

Trying to get my Titania crew up and painted before my Collodi crew arrives next week.
Just trying to have stuff ready for when i go back to my hometown to finally get some games.

>Vasilisa
I've been told she's incredbile for delivering un-activated Puppets over ridiculous distances.
Presumably Coryphee are prime targets for this.

In that case you probably want to play outcasts.
Currently activation control is king so you want to have as many or more models than your opponents. Outcasts are great at this.
Hamelin can spam rats and then once your opponent is done you move in with your heavy hitters.
Leveticus has 2 free models when you run Jim and everyone in his crew can summon on a kill.
Tara can lower your opponents ap (slow and bury) and pass out appropriately to your units

Is it viable to make a completely generic/off-theme Asami list that mainly uses summons as one-time attacks or scheme marker drops? And then just have Asami chug out focus and reposition and all that while her crew is just a collection of TT staples doing what they do best.

That is more than possible. That is how the main Asami player in my local meta runs her actually. He just has The Lone Swordsman, Yu, TTBs, the Emissary, and Terracotta Warriors running around and doing their thing.

Friends don't let friends play Hamlin

Yup.
Against Arcanists maybe Ugly Betty will get a run around instead of the Swordsman, but my local Asami guy pretty much does the same.

I'm getting my first game with Pimplord Matheson in tonight.
Anything I should be bearing in mind/watching out for?

Unfortunately my Guild is limited, and my Neverborn even more so, so it will be his box plus Hoffman's box.

You got the errata cards?

Make sure you have the new version of Lucius/Scribe printed out!
Hoffmans box is a great compliment to Lucius. The Watcher is always handy, the guardian helps keep Matheson alive whilst also being nigh invulnerable with hard to wound from lawyers. I don't like hunters much but they are probably your best bet for actual damage.

They're on Wyrds site, you can just print the images off

Also thinking about getting into Lucius.
I grabbed his metal box when I had the chance.

What sort of list do people run in guild?
Is guardsman heavy viable?
I was thinking a pair of austringers and three guild riflemen would make the bulk of the list.
Dashel for extra focuses seems great, but at that point it's a pretty heavy investment into a shooty gunline.