Event Horizon?

Tell me how was this movie not inspired by 40k in the slightest?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xmpFUVGfEJ8
youtube.com/watch?v=VfxlPxUf5e0
telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1549439/The-Pope-ends-state-of-limbo-after-800-years.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

40k doesn't have special privileges on hell being another dimension.

It sort of does

No, it really doesn't.

*Sigh* No. It doesn't. Work on your trolling.

I don't really read enough sci-fi to know if that's true in the context of hell being a dimension you specifically have to travel through for space flight, but in the general sense I would agree with you. If there's 40k inspiration I don't think I would attribute it any further than the basic premise in any case

Its not just hell though. Its hell that your spaceship travels through as a means of faster then light travel.

Event Horizon hell also has a solidly 40k, with the old crew raping each other to death along with the mutilation.

>Its hell that your spaceship travels through as a means of faster then light travel.
By ripping a hole in space/time. Thus possibly traveling through another dimension. Which numerous authors and subjects have told being a potential hell.

Warhammer 40k doesn't have a monopoly on ships heavily based on gothic architecture which go faster than light by opening a gate to a dimension of pure chaos leading to demon possesion.

I swear 40k fags think everything is 40k.

>The Hellbound Heart
>From Beyond
>The Jaunt
There's three stories off the top of my head that deal with other dimensions, by perceiving them or traveling through them, put human beings through some type of hell.

>Its not just hell though. Its hell that your spaceship travels through as a means of faster then light travel.

Lots of ships in fiction go into subspace to achieve FTL. Crossing that over with hell or some freaky place isn't a big leap.

That also predate 40k.

Yes, but the dimension in Event Horizon is, explicitly, refered to as a realm of chaos. The ship itself is designed to be a flying cathedral (specifically it's based on Notre Dame). And the ship ends up possesed by a demonic entity.

I'm not saying the movie is inspired by 40k, but I understand why people consider it a very 40k movie.

>I understand why people consider it a very 40k movie.
That's fair.

God damn, The Jaunt.

That story scared the shit out of me as a kid.

Because there wasn't anything about 40K in it.

WH40kids are idiots, and they think that their entirely stolen idea factory is the end all be all of everything that's cool, while intentionally forgetting everything it is was stolen from other people.

I said inspired you fucking moron, as in the concept may pay homage to not rip off, jesus christ.

>the concept may pay homage to
Because it implies 40k is anything that anyone would want to pay homage to.

You know I always figured that if you stay in the Labyrinth long enough, you'd start to go a bit Cenobite.

Are you even trying anymore?

It's almost as if GW saw Hellraiser.
Not even bait, I enjoy 40k, but it's just a mix of a shit ton of scifi and fantasy shit and then turned up to 11.

I feel like the director was at least aware of it, though it does resemble a bit more of Hell-raiser the Chaos theme is too coincidental, really gets the Heresy juices flowing though

All I'm saying is I think Cenobites get a bad rap. They promise to take you to a dimension of pure pleasure. They take you to a dimension of pure pleasure. What's so hellish about that?

>They take you to a dimension of pure pleasure.
Their definition of pleasure and the human definition of pleasure are two very different things.

It would explain all the lost footage storys.

Very heretical to posses.

they're good communicators, you learn

>you learn
Too late. Though as I recall from reading Hellbound Heart, Frank gets kind of a warning and decides to proceed anyway.

I think he means you learn to enjoy it.

It seems like it was inspired by 40k as 40k basically ripped off everything in its setting from somewhere else. Exalted has the same issues. This doesn't make them bad, but it's easy to see similarities in a lot of other works as both settings are kitchen sinks where the authors tossed in everything they thought was cool or interesting.

The Cenobite definition of "pleasure" and the human definition of the term are so utterly different in meaning that there can be no comparison whatsoever.

>I think he means you learn to enjoy it.
Frank didn't.

He was there, what, couple of years tops? Give it a decade or two and he'll be slamming his balls in a vice and sanding off his nipples like the best of them.

The Hellbound heart is just hell and The Jaunt isn't a hell at all.

>The Jaunt isn't a hell at all.
It is if you're awake.

It owes way more to Clive Barker and Hellraiser tbqh

>Tell me how was this movie not inspired by DOOM in the slightest?

Similarities are just that. Also and / make even more sense.

What matters to me is that the movie executes the idea quite well, better than some Hellraiser sequels.

This is what I hate about hellraiser. Some movies are fucking amazing, but almost all the later movies are unwatchable pandering trash. 1&2 are just about perfect, and I prefer 2, but I also prefer Aliens over Alien. Three is watchable, schlocky and not terrible. Four is a schizophrenic mess that wishes it was Jason X. The rest, other than the unrelated detective one, aren't even worth mentioning.

Is Event Horizon better than any of the first three? No, not unless someone found the complete unedited footage somewhere. Is ANYTHING better than the later ones? Yup, you could probably generate something randomly and it would be.

Also Doom. As the plot to it is literally teleportation technology opening a portal to hell.

Doesnt matter if it was or not as it does the entire concept so much better than 40kfags ever wish their series could come close to doing

There's a story in I, Robot where two guys test pilot a hyperspace drive and die temporarily when the jump happens, and it gets slightly heretical.

All it'd take is for him to take a wrong step and fall into a Cenobitifier box like that one dude did.

The only thing I don't like about Hellraiser 2 is that it humanizes the Cenobites.

>its a "stupid user who never read anything but 40k novels think everybody is ripping off 40k and not the opposite" thread
Must be a day of the week

Meh similar base concept but that's it. The whole gothic church argument isnt really one since it's pretty common to use creepy church imagery to suggest the other dimension is hell.

I'm always triggered by how half assed warhammer Chaos is compared to Moorcock chaos, I hate the division into the 4 gods with change being attributed to Tzeentch only.

Shit nigga me too.

>*Sigh*
> Work on your trolling.

This is isnt reddit. Get the fuck out you piece of shit.

>The whole gothic church argument isnt really on
I never got gothic elements from Event Horizon. The warp core looked more like the guy based it off Guillermo del Toro's sketchbook than anything else.

The Hellbound Heart is pretty much where Slaanesh came from though.

Tell me how was Dark Eldar not inspired by Cenobites in the slightest?

It's not. There is no physical pain or intentional torture. It's a limbo.

It came out in 1997, for fucks sake. That was before 40k's third edition, not even pip in the radar for mainstream audience.

>not even pip in the radar for mainstream audience.
all the better for pilfering

Everything in 40k is taken from popular sci-fi. The only original thing they did was take everything and mash it together.
The idea of ftl sending the ship through hell is not original to 40k, just like everything else.

No tau, no aeldari, no tyranids, no orks and so on.
It's as close to wh40k as Alice in wonderland.

you mean the Drukhari?

Heinlein, Niven, and Reinolds all have stories where hyperspace is either hostile to the human mind or outright hellish.

Dragonriders of Pern has a very scary hyperspace too, although more by implication than by what is actually seen and described

>Everything in 40k is taken from popular sci-fi.
If 40k fags claim everything is 40k, you guys over exxagerate this way too much. Everything in 40k was inspired by something else. Hello? Yes, this is how art works. Paul/Leto are only semantically similar to the Emperor.

>40K steals from everything
>40Kids go ERMAGAWD ERRYONE STEALS FROM FORDEEKAY
I swear, 40Kids need to be sterilized and then kept away from any means of communication and the world would instantly become a better place

If you think about it Event Horizon could be described as a tale from before the dark age of technology, and of our first attempt at warp travel before gelar fields. Or without navigation for that matter.

This thread just makes me realize how many and overused the concept of a sci-fi setting that happens to involve a portal to hell and/or some variation thereof is.

Also, why "hell"? Why not some other realm that may vaguely resemble a description of an Earth mythology?

Someone did find the complete, unedited footage somewhere, and they were re-releasing it with all the bits they wouldn't let them show in the movie outside of watching them on the small monitor.

They honestly aren't. The Cenobites mix pain and pleasure to an extreme, but they're basically the same as the pleasure one received after the pain if pulling an infected tooth, or popping a zit.

Hell is spoopy.

I think the "hell" thing is more an analogy. The dimensions these people go through are so alien and frightening the only way characters can describe it is by comparing it to the Biblical Hell.

the ending theme was pretty cool
rest of the movie was pretty boring desu
youtu.be/xmpFUVGfEJ8

Techno-hell was pretty common shit in the 90's. See Mutant Chronicles, Doom, that future Hellraiser (4 ?)

yeah no, this movie took stuff like from beyond and hellraiser and put that in spess. I always saw this as more hellraiser than anything, or the shining, or evil dead, but I think it says a lot about 40keks when they see it in other franchises more than Games Workshop's legal division does.

>t. child's understanding of hell

>They honestly aren't.
They kind of are, in that they define pleasure as experiencing something. Experiencing all of it, at once, at your leisure, to the extreme, every facet. This also includes incredibly painful and unpleasant experiences.

CS Friedman: This Alien Shore
Where WH40K got the idea for their warp travel.

It's inspired by ideas that 40k stole.

I heard the footage was found in a Transylvania salt mine. Which is creepy as fuck.

I think the footage was corroded beyond use unfortunately.

Simple; your hobby is neither as influential or as popular as you think it is and no matter how much you want a high buy-in modelzing wargame to be influential it will always be niche subculture.

Sorry user; you’re too nerdy even for nerd mainstream to be influential on real-life filmmakers in the 90’s.

It's not like there is an actual hell irl, even in christianism what exactly is Hell vary from denomination to domination and Hell in fiction is used very liberaly.

I think it has been. Either a greentext or on 1d4

JunkieXL?

its certainly similar but to say that they took from 40k is stupid

dont be GW

>it's just (aspects that many people enjoy)
>I mean come on!

I seem to recall that traditionally Hell in Judaism is a realm where you're entierly separated from the presence of God.

The Cenobites does deliver pleasure and pain beyond earthly limits. Your body is just used up until it's basically burned out and turned into a husk from the experience.

The editing I. Hellraiser 2 is pretty shit compared to the first one, which also has a much tighter story and a more compelling portrayal of characters.

40k steals shit from everything. Dont get how GW's had the nerve to sue some roastie over the term "space marine"

I thought Judaism simply doesn't have a hell at all

Good goyim

Funky Shit by the Prodigy actually.

youtube.com/watch?v=VfxlPxUf5e0

le sigh. You're really only making a fool of yourself.

There wasn't, but they added one to justify a bunch of murdered kids being less sad. The known origins on this creates a sort of purist vs other split in Judaism probably comparable to "the Bible doesn't actually say that" style shit in Christianity.

There's Sheol, if memory serves. Not really up on my mythology/comparative religions. Hell, though, all the modern religions are built on the past. Judaism has a shit ton of older mythology, including Sumarian shit, which Christianity inherits because the Old Testament is cribbed from the Hebews. Islam is built off of Judaism and Christianity with a shitton of their own mythological elements.

Frankly it's all kind of a mess if you try to trace back origins. My understanding of Islam is that infidels were originally Muslims who hadn't converted to Islam while undergoing early and violent periods of expansion and conversion. Jews and Christians are supposed to be their brothers, the "Peoples of the Books", since Islam is based on both religions. They still follow the Word of God, but naturally aren't as correct as Islam because Muhammad was the last prophet who got the corrected additions straight from God/Allah. But then that's hardly much different from Christianity during its many violent periods, including the Crusade. "Hey, let's liberate the Holy Land but then kill pretty much everyone when we get their because who can tell these foreigners apart?" Or modern day ultra religious claiming hurricane devastation is a punishment from God. Seriously, Jesus was a pretty laid back cat, very open to love and understanding, but you dickbags want the blood and thunder god back who laid waste to Sodom and Gomorrah? I thought people wanted an all loving Father, not a capricious asshole indiscriminately destroying regions.

Probably the most Veeky Forums thing I'll ever write, but if there is a hell it's here on Earth and we've made it ourselves.

Religions are as prone to mutation as any other cultural product. Not just major reformations. Martin Luthers don't come 'round every day, but Christianity alone has shed a shit ton of Apocryphal texts. And not just the official parts of the bible that have been excised. Common culture is a funny thing. The Cherubs used to be these multi-faced badass warriors of God with flaming swords, but thanks to the Renaissance and greeting card industry they've been recast as chubby little winged babies. Cupid is probably laughing his diaper off. Then there's Adam's first wife Lilith before he shacked up with Eve, the snake in the Garden of Eden wasn't actually Satan. How many people these days remember what the Dominions, Virtues, and Principalities are? And if you're Catholic they purged Purgatory not too long ago. That which is held true on Earth shall be true in heaven, yikes. God is probably regretting that one since he has an entire infinite region to rezone and has to find a place for all those unbaptized baby souls.

I gotta go with . Hell is nebulous, just what you think of as really super bad. Whether that entails fire and pitchforks is a matter of personal interpretation.

What? No. They're just heavy into Sado-Masachism. Didn't all the black leather and body piercings tip you off? The only thing their realm is missing is a high base repetitive dance club beat, but maybe if you ask nicely they'll set one up for you.

>How many people these days remember what the Dominions, Virtues, and Principalities are?
SMT fans?

Leave Shin Megami Tensei out of this.

>they purged Purgatory not too long ago
Who is they?
It's still very much a part of the Catholic faith.

Removed with a patch like Blizzard did with the old Zul'gurub

Who removed it from what?
I repeat, it's still very much a part of the Catholic faith.

You are right. Confused with LIMBO

I don't believe The Church ever officially endorsed the idea of Limbo and whatever 'patch' you may be referring to was most likely an address to clarify exactly what is and is not official church doctrine on Purgatory.

The dope Pope, that's who. What kind of Catholic are you?

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1549439/The-Pope-ends-state-of-limbo-after-800-years.html

>someone found the complete unedited footage >of Event Horizon
There'd be shellshocked theater nerds from coast to coast, in every continent. Including Antarctica, somehow.

> Including Antarctica, somehow.
I'm sure The Thing would want to know. It's got a vested interest in traveling, after all. Got places to go, people to eat.